5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maxima HID Retrofit Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 10:13 AM

Yeah that would be nice if someone can open up the housing,altough I doubt that the reflector style headlights have similar metal bracket like yours. I think it is more he OEM ones.

I'm going to get the reflector style. Defenetly more work but it's a hobby right. I want to explore the carbon fiber wrap also and this style has less curvature compare to your style.

Here are the things that I'm thinking ( more like wish list)
1. Dual beam reflector style EBAY lights.
2. Quad projectors. G37s low beam and RX330 high beam.
3. Frosted E46 shrouds in both low and high
4. Full Carbon Fiber wrapped bezel.
5. Projector lens turn signal retrofit.
6. Dual CCFL for both low and high beam to light up the frosted shrouds.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:28 AM

Wow, that would be a helluva project, but the result extremely impressive!

After looking at pics of my bracket, I noticed the low beam side of the bracket is set back really far to accomodate the projector housing. Now I'm wondering if the reflector style is going to be forward - a lot closer to the lens, since the reflector is not nearly as deep as the projector housing. If that's the case, you can probably cut it and add a bracket to set it back far enough.

Iv'e seen pics of carbon fiber work and it looks really nice. If I open mine up again down the road, I'm going to consider some custom paint work in there - just because my car is all white, and i don't think the carbon fiber would look very good on mine.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:32 AM

Also, check out this thread: http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ngel-eyes.html

Perhaps you can contact umintza and maybe they can provide you the proper brackets, since they seem to sell and mod similar units.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:46 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure if Umintza mods anything in that headlight other than putting HID kit in those Ebay Projector Headlight based on a member that posted the result. I also prefer CCFl from lightwerkz or TRS than the LED based angle eye. Building the bracket isn't a big deal since I have access to CNC Mill/Laser Cutting machine and build the bracket model it in 3D CAD. Once I recieve the headlights I'll take measurement of the adjustment screws mounting points and start laying out the projector location and mounting points. Hopefully this would be a good rovust way for other to do retrofit in the dual housing beam. I can also make the bracket available for other member here for small fee compared to hacking it up with dremel, fitting, cutting again, fitting, etc.

I'm really dragging my feet on this. In all honesty, a quad setup isn't useful IMO. Unless you specifically choose a pair for width and the other pair for distance, but even then I feel like there will be too much foreground which not helping for distance viewing. The quad setup is just a nice to have and a bragging right but I feel that its not worth the investment for the return. I'm pretty content with my E46 BiX setup and Valeo Fog lights, these 2 provide enough width and distance I want. A halogen projector high beam is actually more useful. If I do this it would be cheaper. I calculated the wish list that I want to have, the parts alone cost $700 which is about 15% of my car value and It's still using Ebay headlights instead of OEM.

In the other hand I always wanted to use RX330 or TL. Maybe I should just build another 5th gen retro with TL

Last edited by Genes1s; 01-07-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:48 PM

02-03 Headlight Retrofit build

There is a possibility that I'm going to do OEM 02-03 retro for a member here. So, I dust off my old OEM reflector parts and see if I can learn few things from the past

LuvLexus,

When you did your Mini D2S, did you use the OEM cap? the shortest projector I have is RX330 and they are still sticking out way more than I want to if I want to use the back cap. What is the clearance between the back cap and the battery side wall?

In the past I wasn't thinking about any clearance issue between the back of the headlight to the battery. If I burry the projector inward it will stick out past the cap and if there is no clearance between the battery side wall and the D2S connector, then it makes is even harder to achieve this.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by MSU2000
There is a possibility that I'm going to do OEM 02-03 retro for a member here. So, I dust off my old OEM reflector parts and see if I can learn few things from the past

LuvLexus,

When you did your Mini D2S, did you use the OEM cap? the shortest projector I have is RX330 and they are still sticking out way more than I want to if I want to use the back cap. What is the clearance between the back cap and the battery side wall?

In the past I wasn't thinking about any clearance issue between the back of the headlight to the battery. If I burry the projector inward it will stick out past the cap and if there is no clearance between the battery side wall and the D2S connector, then it makes is even harder to achieve this.
I managed to use the back cap but that left me with the shroud almost touching the headlight lens. Its gonna be impossible to get that cap back on there with any projector IMO. I'll check the distance in a little while when I go outside, there isn't much however....

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ir-intake.html

hm
Old 01-07-2012, 03:23 PM

Well....the Mini D2S is probably the shortest of all.....that means I can't use the back cap anyways with any projectors that I'm thinking of using...

Last edited by Genes1s; 01-07-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Got Retrofit?

Well....the Mini D2S is probably the shortest of all.....that means I can't use the back cap anyways with any projectors that I'm thinking of using...
He was able to use the stock caps.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:42 PM

Pretty much. Even with mini d2s it comes way too close to the lens.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:01 PM

Yeah, and if the gap between the cap and the battery is not much that makes it even worse. The G37 I'm planning to use is about .5" longer than the Mini, so I'm pretty sure the cap will not be able to fit, so then I gotta come up with an extenstion to cover the back but if the gap is too close you won;t be able to get your hand in there and change the bulb.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:15 PM

Just turn that battery 90*, it's really easy
Old 01-07-2012, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Just turn that battery 90*, it's really easy
Well it's going to be worse if youdo that since we're in the short side already........
Old 01-07-2012, 08:37 PM

Pretty sure Tuner means 90 degrees and over to the left(passenger) side.
The mini h1s do fit well into the high beam portion of the headlamps though.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by luvlexus101
Pretty sure Tuner means 90 degrees and over to the left(passenger) side.
The mini h1s do fit well into the high beam portion of the headlamps though.

The ES350 projector has side bulb mounted, they are overall about 4.75"....
Old 01-07-2012, 08:44 PM

^Correct. You don't even have to drill bolt holes, just grab a 3/8" bolt and nut with a few washers. You can still use the stock battery base even.

Took me about 10 minutes to do, minus digging for the hardware (bolt, washer andnut)
Old 01-07-2012, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
^Correct. You don't even have to drill bolt holes, just grab a 3/8" bolt and nut with a few washers. You can still use the stock battery base even.

Took me about 10 minutes to do, minus digging for the hardware (bolt, washer andnut)

Well Tuner, that might just solve half of problem here, that means there is no excuse not to burry the projector deep.

Does this work on all 00-03? I should get my butt outside and check it out my self..
Old 01-07-2012, 08:59 PM

I would still set it deep. Battery mounting isn't that serious. Worst case scenario get some sheet metal and make it happen.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:07 PM

I would still set it deep. Battery mounting isn't that serious. Worst case scenario get some sheet metal and make it happen.
Ok, here is my battery. I don't think I can rotate it 90 degree and to the left, the tray is fitted to the battery also. I can lose the tray but the left real estate is occupied by air duct that part of the intake looks like.

That juntion relay box is super tigth fit also with projector sticking out the back of the high beam area.

Am I missing something here....I'm not seeing I can rotate the battery without major mod.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:58 PM

Ok, here is my battery. I don't think I can rotate it 90 degree and to the left, the tray is fitted to the battery also. I can lose the tray but the left real estate is occupied by air duct that part of the intake looks like.

That juntion relay box is super tigth fit also with projector sticking out the back of the high beam area.

Am I missing something here....I'm not seeing I can rotate the battery without major mod.
I don't have that intake scoop since I'm running a SRI. That relay box is only held down by two m6 bolts.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:06 PM

Does anybody know how to properly aim the bulbs? A friend of mine was pulled over by a cop that thought he was high beaming. My car has them aimed right now but I want to change the bulbs. Will they already be aimed if I just slide the new ones in or do they have to be re-aimed every time I change the bulb?
Old 01-08-2012, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by pat6290
Does anybody know how to properly aim the bulbs? A friend of mine was pulled over by a cop that thought he was high beaming. My car has them aimed right now but I want to change the bulbs. Will they already be aimed if I just slide the new ones in or do they have to be re-aimed every time I change the bulb?
You aim them as needed. If you can see driver's face from 25 feet away then you need to aim down. You don't aim the bulb, you aim the healdights. Use the OEM adjustment screws to go up/down.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by pat6290
They say dot regulation is 2 inches lower for every 25'
Old 01-08-2012, 04:56 PM

Actually it's vehicle specific, there's always the general 'rule of thumbs', but the FSM will tell you exactly for your car.

As far as the battery, You're right, with the stock intake it's different. The main reason for relocating the battery is for Intakes, so I never considered the stock intake in the suggestion.

you can still do it, just can't move it as far, and might not be able to use the stock battery tray (might have to buy one or fab one). That relay box has a decent amount of play in the wiring, and it mounts to the stock battery tray anyways, so moving the battery would require it's movement anyways. Just pop the 10mm head bolts off that hold it (2).

First off, because battery sizes differ, i'd measure the length of the battery and just make sure it can turn 90 degrees without hitting the stock airbox.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:30 PM

G37 with STI-R.

Euro does your look like this. That bow in the lower cutoff is quite high. It does help, seeing incoming car perpendicular with the car, but I'm afraid it's too much.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:45 PM

Mine doesn't seem that steep - here's what mine looks like:
Old 01-11-2012, 07:46 PM

Could you snap the entire width of left side of the beam.......
Old 01-11-2012, 07:48 PM

The ebay projectors did that, but on the high side cutoff. Just a big flare. It almost looks like the rotation is off, but more like your are getting some strange reflection angle in there somewhere.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by EuroDriver
The ebay projectors did that, but on the high side cutoff. Just a big flare. It almost looks like the rotation is off, but more like your are getting some strange reflection angle in there somewhere.
Rotation isn't off I believe. The flare is coming from the bowl I think, it got worse when I lower the shield to expose more light. I'm just wondering of stock conditon does that. I didn't snap picture of stock beam using STi-R lens which before I mod it, so I'm kinda loosing reference. That was dumb.....

Old 01-11-2012, 08:03 PM

Here's the left side with the right side covered up. I only have a crappy little 3.1 mp camera here, so sorry for the lame shot. You can definitely see the blind spot in there, but it should give you a good idea of the stock flare:
Old 01-11-2012, 08:07 PM

Here's the left side with the right side covered up. I only have a crappy little 3.1 mp camera here, so sorry for the lame shot. You can definitely see the blind spot in there, but it should give you a good idea of the stock flare:
Thanks Nathan, appriciated that. Back to drawing board......I'm going to have to fix this. I can see the little flare on your too but not as much since the cut off shield is still untouched. Look at the distance betwen the bow beam downward and the level cut of, mine is almost overlapping. I dropped/lowered the shield too much, which there is no turning back. I'm going to have to make new shield which sucks. I'll see the other one if it does the same I'm pretty sure it does since both did a little flare when I lit them up inside garage. That blind spot there is easy fix once you get the projector out.....

Thanks again.

Last edited by Genes1s; 01-11-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:17 PM

You got the spacing right Euro, when you back the car up 100', you'll see sharper cut off on the wall..sweet......... I'm settled with the projector choice now. G37 3incher low beam and G37 2.5" low beam. I can't wait for the headlights to arrive......
Old 01-11-2012, 08:35 PM

The hit & miss is half the fun of these projects, lol!

Instead of raising the shield, if you can figure out where the reflection is coming from and paint that section you won't have to compromise the extra lighting.

One of these days I'll get around to fixing thatblind spot. Maybe when you post pics of your quad setup I'll motivate and maybe even try the same!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:02 PM

The hit & miss is half the fun of these projects, lol!

Instead of raising the shield, if you can figure out where the reflection is coming from and paint that section you won't have to compromise the extra lighting.

One of these days I'll get around to fixing thatblind spot. Maybe when you post pics of your quad setup I'll motivate and maybe even try the same!
you already have the bracket in there. All you need to do is take the high beam relfector out and place the projector in.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:17 PM

Good work guys. Looking forward to progress pictures.
Ordered a mh1 4.1 to do my high beams.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:24 PM

Good work guys. Looking forward to progress pictures.
Ordered a mh1 4.1 to do my high beams.
Notice any differences than your old Mini at all? just curious about those 4.1........
Old 01-12-2012, 06:52 PM

00-03 Quads

Got my headlights today, looks pretty good so far.

G37 Bi-X coupe on the left, G37 Bi-X sedan on the right

Random picture of current E46 wall shot.....

G37 coupe stock untouched

G37 coupe + clear lens

But nothing beat this so far, my all time favorite.....RX330 + Custom Shield + Clear Lens. I could look at this all day......

Can't wait to crack those newly wrapped headlights open.....

Last edited by Genes1s; 12-21-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:12 PM

Nice! Where'd you find the coupe projectors?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:14 PM

I got one from TRS, the other one from junk yard (will pick up tomorrow hopefully..)
Old 01-12-2012, 07:36 PM

You'll be one of two that actually did this. Definitely want to see it, you usually put a nice twist on your stuff
Old 01-12-2012, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nexus67
You'll be one of two that actually did this. Definitely want to see it, you usually put a nice twist on your stuff

I've always wanted to try quads. It's really not necessary or that quad is better than dual retrofit, but it's defenetly fun project. I'll have it on dedicated switch also, so I can toggle it. Most of the time I'll be running dual only, I don't want wearing sun glasses at night. I'm pretty happy with my E46 actually so, we'll see. I want to try different form of CCFL/Halo. I want to try using frosted shrouds and use the projector to light up the shroud, kinda like M45 projectors in Infiniti. Heck I'll slap M45 projector in there if it fits.

This is M45 projector lit up. it's cool

Last edited by Genes1s; 01-12-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Maxima HID Retrofit Build