5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just completed cross country drive, my baby is wounded

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 12:19 PM

Just completed cross country drive, my baby is wounded

Well that was interesting, I had planned on going E0 the whole way unfortunately that stuff is kind of hard to find until you get to about Oklahoma. From there on east there seems to be a huge backlash against ethanol going on so hopefully that continues. I suspect it has to do with the subsidies drying up so now there is no reason to have it in the gas.

The ironic thing about ethanol is that the same people who were being paid to produce the crap are the first people in line to refuse to put it in their vehicles, tractors, and boats. That should tell you something lol.

I did get a couple good tanks for statistical purposes though. On E0 I made it from Flagstaff, AZ to Tucumcari, NM (498.8 miles) on a single tank. That is with a code P0430. Unfortunately I couldn't get to my E0 providers in NM and Texas so I had to run E10 up to Oklahoma. From Oklahoma I ran E0 the rest of the way.

Now the interesting thing, after a couple hundred miles from filling in Oklahoma my P0430 went away. It stayed away the rest of trip. I now have to wonder if ethanol is also part of the reason those cats act faulty. I will have to see if it comes back, there are plenty of E0 stations here in Virginia so I will only be using that from here on out.

I will have more organized notes once I can sort through and write them up but generally E0 seemed to gain about 3-4mpg but of course that can also be affected by the terrain in the part of the country I was at.

Now for the bad part. I made it all the way to Knoxville and was cruising along when I hear thump thump thump POP. Blowout front left, no biggie, drift over to the shoulder. Get all the stuff out of my trunk, get the spare out, get it jacked up.

Unfortunately the impact of the blowout let the magic juice out of my shock. Not much I could do there in Knoxville and since I was going to be riding on the doughnut I just threw it on, avoided any bumps and rode the rest of the way on the spring.

So, it looks like I will be getting those coilovers sooner than I expected. I actually think from now on I am just gonna let things breaking dictate when I upgrade my car lol.

Gonna be going with the BC-R coilovers but need to figure out what other components I need to change at the same time.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:15 PM

I fill up all of my cars with pure gas no 10% ethanol and have noticed a small increase in log.