5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen: What did you do to your 5th Gen today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 10:04 PM

Yea buddy parts coming in....lol Name:  CAM00536_zpsw4v2x3td.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  86.3 KB

Last edited by nestorlugo; 01-10-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:42 PM

@Nestor, I envy your turbo plans!

For me on the other hand...

Interstate battery took a crap last night while I was asleep - car wouldn't turn over when I was on my way out to work today. Stood in the snow removing it and promptly called my boss to alert him I'd be late. Then I was quickly on my way to Auto Zone, and joined a crowd of others with dead batteries. In and out in 5 minutes. I just had to laugh, especially since it was just a battery, no big deal. Everyone else was in a panic to fix their beaters: there was a whole line of cars outside the store with their hoods up. Popped the new one in when I returned home and got a simple car wash to shine (and get rid of that salt) before running back to work. Hope it'll stay clean for the transmission guys who will be working on it in a couple days...

That Interstate battery lasted 7 years. 90 degree summers, and -10 degree winters. Not only that, but I have a sound system. Thing was swollen up to the point where the sides were round. Still had a pulse, but no crank ability left in it.

We'll see how long a Duralast Gold will actually last. Battery w/ 3 year warranty for less than 130 bucks should keep me happy.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by nestorlugo
Yea buddy parts coming in....lol
Name:  396E7D27-DE86-4911-B045-373C7AEF00FF_zps6osodk4o.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  86.7 KB

Name:  727B4317-B4A1-4B40-874B-57E0149A51EA_zpsq7lycbi5.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  94.7 KB

Me too buddy.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:48 PM

^Props to all these Boostin' projects coming forward!

Today; I joined the many rockin' and loving their 6th gen BBK. Seems to be one of the best upgrades yet!
Also slapped 4 of 5 wires from Shin's Grounding kit ( was one of many purchased diy projects sitting undone for a while)
Old 01-13-2015, 06:02 AM

Just changed my oil and finally a new power steering belt, 100k maintenance is now complete and I should be good to go for a while.

^^ Jealous of you boosted dudes

But who knows, maybe a supercharger will be in my future by the time I hit 150k or so lol

For now, plan is to soldier on thru the winter and next upgrade/mod will be wheels (finally) after winter is over
Old 01-13-2015, 06:12 AM

calipers fixed

have to fix belt squeal now
Old 01-13-2015, 10:19 PM

Got to drive with the Transgo HD2 kit today for the first time... and really put it to the test this evening.

1-2 is crazy rough and quick, but after that, they're just really firm shifts. They really move the car, and you can feel the power. Down shifting is amazingly quick, and up shifting is just as fast, unlike before. All delays are gone. This made me stop wanting the 6 speed, though I would like to feel a bit more involved... but I love this more. Makes spirited driving a breeze. Catching up to other drivers is no longer a sweat - especially when you have to slow down - easily pick back up again with no real transmission shift delay.

If you have an AT, definitely look into a shift kit. It's well worth the money if you enjoy a spirited drive and the full potential of the engine, without a manual swap. I couldn't stop talking about it today. Talked people's ears off about something they obviously didn't care about. But that's it. I care. That's all that matters.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Cotozic
Got to drive with the Transgo HD2 kit today for the first time... and really put it to the test this evening.

1-2 is crazy rough and quick, but after that, they're just really firm shifts. They really move the car, and you can feel the power. Down shifting is amazingly quick, and up shifting is just as fast, unlike before. All delays are gone. This made me stop wanting the 6 speed, though I would like to feel a bit more involved... but I love this more. Makes spirited driving a breeze. Catching up to other drivers is no longer a sweat - especially when you have to slow down - easily pick back up again with no real transmission shift delay.

If you have an AT, definitely look into a shift kit. It's well worth the money if you enjoy a spirited drive and the full potential of the engine, without a manual swap. I couldn't stop talking about it today. Talked people's ears off about something they obviously didn't care about. But that's it. I care. That's all that matters.
What's the cost on something like that?
Old 01-14-2015, 04:26 AM

I can agree on most things you said, except for me it made me want a 6 speed even more!

I really, really dont want anything to do with an automatic no matter how good it may be, give me a stick like a real man (no homo)
Old 01-14-2015, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
I can agree on most things you said, except for me it made me want a 6 speed even more!

I really, really dont want anything to do with an automatic no matter how good it may be, give me a stick like a real man (no homo)
I want my next car to be a manual, I'm sick of automatics...
Old 01-14-2015, 08:40 PM

Got to drive with the Transgo HD2 kit today for the first time... and really put it to the test this evening. 1-2 is crazy rough and quick, but after that, they're just really firm shifts. They really move the car, and you can feel the power. Down shifting is amazingly quick, and up shifting is just as fast, unlike before. All delays are gone. This made me stop wanting the 6 speed, though I would like to feel a bit more involved... but I love this more. Makes spirited driving a breeze. Catching up to other drivers is no longer a sweat - especially when you have to slow down - easily pick back up again with no real transmission shift delay. If you have an AT, definitely look into a shift kit. It's well worth the money if you enjoy a spirited drive and the full potential of the engine, without a manual swap. I couldn't stop talking about it today. Talked people's ears off about something they obviously didn't care about. But that's it. I care. That's all that matters.
I agree and between being old and having been over the road truck driver for a couple years Ive had my share of shifting and really don't want to anymore. Transgo will make you feel like you're driving a different car.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jprocs24
What's the cost on something like that?
The kit was about $110 bucks, and the shop charged me a 400 flat for install and 7 quarts of transmission fluid. I of course supplied the kit. Got them the car and they did it within the day, so I picked it up the following morning. This was way above my ability to install. They almost scared me to death when they called shortly after and told me it was the wrong kit... fortunately I was right when they checked again. Spent too long researching this kit for it to be wrong.

Originally Posted by Mattx
I agree and between being old and having been over the road truck driver for a couple years Ive had my share of shifting and really don't want to anymore. Transgo will make you feel like you're driving a different car.
Totally does. It was like the car was asleep before... and now it's awake!

I think my favorite thing about the new shifting besides just the quick climb between gears is its ability to rapidly down and up shift. Very different. Sometimes it feels like you're instantly controlling gears with the touch of the accelerator, rather than just waiting for a shift to happen. I like this more than a 6-speed. If I could just so easily have control like a manual though, I would take it, but this was an alternative that more than quenched my thirst for improvement in gears.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:38 AM

The kit was about $110 bucks, and the shop charged me a 400 flat for install and 7 quarts of transmission fluid. I of course supplied the kit. Got them the car and they did it within the day, so I picked it up the following morning. This was way above my ability to install. They almost scared me to death when they called shortly after and told me it was the wrong kit... fortunately I was right when they checked again. Spent too long researching this kit for it to be wrong. Totally does. It was like the car was asleep before... and now it's awake! I think my favorite thing about the new shifting besides just the quick climb between gears is its ability to rapidly down and up shift. Very different. Sometimes it feels like you're instantly controlling gears with the touch of the accelerator, rather than just waiting for a shift to happen. I like this more than a 6-speed. If I could just so easily have control like a manual though, I would take it, but this was an alternative that more than quenched my thirst for improvement in gears.
Yea I don't think it's humanly possible to shift a manual as fast as the transgo does.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mattx

Yea I don't think it's humanly possible to shift a manual as fast as the transgo does.
Sure it is look at this guy! Nissan MAXIMA 3.5 turbo VS Porshe turbo Jdm vs…: http://youtu.be/ChZ_GvP_fkQ

Last edited by nestorlugo; 01-15-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:02 PM

Sure it is look at this guy!:gaptheeth: Nissan MAXIMA 3.5 turbo VS Porshe turbo Jdm vs…: http://youtu.be/ChZ_GvP_fkQ
Dude's so serious
Old 01-15-2015, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by george__
Dude's so serious
Video cracks me up everytime, turns down his music because he means business, haha.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:50 PM

Video cracks me up everytime, turns down his music because he means business, haha.
That video is an all time classic. Maxima driver is priceless, Nissan should seriously hire that guy for a commercial
Old 01-16-2015, 01:29 AM

That video is an all time classic. Maxima driver is priceless, Nissan should seriously hire that guy for a commercial
It's one of the first videos I saw when I bought my Maxima! It should be shown to all new buyers, mandatory.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:00 AM

It's one of the first videos I saw when I bought my Maxima! It should be shown to all new buyers, mandatory.
I swear, if one wanted to sell a 4th gen in 2015 just use that whole clip as a commercial in its entirety...

I would buy one after seeing THAT
Old 01-17-2015, 06:57 PM

Put on my stickers today 5+ hp and 5+ shaved off the time attack trial.... Name:  CAM00546_zpss2vc8m1d.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  62.6 KB

Could not say the same for this donk Name:  CAM00547_zpsjey2zcvg.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  74.0 KB

Last edited by nestorlugo; 01-17-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Replaced the starter, changed the oil, and gave her a bath

Old 01-18-2015, 08:28 PM

"Carbon fiber" engine cover
opinions?Name:  IMAG2850_zps49pyzxqo.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  71.5 KB
Old 01-18-2015, 08:40 PM

Need one of those myself,

Name:  CAM00559_zps4wqxdln1.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  116.1 KB
Old 01-18-2015, 08:58 PM

Need one of those myself,

Yeah, The anniversary cover does look nice, though mine was pretty ugly. I was originally just going to paint it silver like the original but I decided it'd be cool to keep with the "carbon fiber" theme I have going in my max. I think the result is pretty cool, pretty easy to do as well
Old 01-19-2015, 01:53 AM

^^ Engine covers, the holy grail of ricer mods for the modern enthusiast it seems

Easy way to add +5hp tho, so cant blame you there.

I threw mine in the trash, where it belongs. Roll without an engine cover, like a boss.

Easy access and a much more old-school "technical" look to the engine without the cover.

Last edited by D.Stillwell; 01-19-2015 at 01:56 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:16 AM

^^ Engine covers, the holy grail of ricer mods for the modern enthusiast it seems

I threw mine in the trash, where it belongs. Roll without an engine cover, like a boss.

Easy access and a much more old-school "technical" look to the engine without the cover.

I took off my engine cover due to the o2 simulators... Those o2 sensors can get very very hot
Old 01-19-2015, 10:47 AM

Oh yeah haha, definitely adds some extra unicorn power in there
Old 01-26-2015, 01:33 PM

blew out the condensation from the headlight and just used med rubbing compound
to clear the oxidation. Looks like new for now.

Name:  IMG_20150126_122648_zpsgemjqsye.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  99.9 KB
Name:  IMG_20150126_125438_zpspuwzi9am.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  77.3 KB

Last edited by Donkeypunch; 01-26-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:56 PM

Filled up on windshield fluid
Old 01-26-2015, 05:21 PM

Drove mine to work today. Lots of people cant believe the miles it has on it. Already have a list of things im going to update on it but right now im just enjoying a nice car to drive. Honestly i pretty much just shift 2 to 4 to 6. Keep it in the lower RPMs and hopefully save some gas and some beatin on the car because im afraid when it gets warmer here im gonna really see what this thing can do.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:16 PM

drove mine in the rain. yuck
Old 01-26-2015, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by a33_ridah
drove mine in the rain. yuck
Drove in the snow, down a windy back road that was unplowed.

2nd gear cruising FTW and the Maxima does just fine in snow..

Some mexican in hatchback civic that was waaay too low got stuck right on the turn to my road, and I didn't help him
Old 01-26-2015, 08:01 PM

Drove in the snow, down a windy back road that was unplowed.

2nd gear cruising FTW and the Maxima does just fine in snow..

Some mexican in hatchback civic that was waaay too low got stuck right on the turn to my road, and I didn't help him
fuuk¡en civic ....that way he'll learn....@George Lopez voice

Last edited by nestorlugo; 01-26-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:00 PM

I STILL to this day see the guy in his riced out 1990s civic.
It's rare, but I still see some of that stuff.

Primered beat to hell body, slammed, ricered out cannon muffler.
slow as ***** 1.6L honda 4banger. a prius is 3x faster without a doubt.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
I STILL to this day see the guy in his riced out 1990s civic.
It's rare, but I still see some of that stuff.

Primered beat to hell body, slammed, ricered out cannon muffler.
slow as ***** 1.6L honda 4banger. a prius is 3x faster without a doubt.
Lmao, they always have that primed panel don't they! I see them quite a bit where I am.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:55 AM

Got a grounding kit from Shinjiduo and installed it. Didn't think I had any problems, just doing it for preventative purposes.

But I did get a benefit. My auto trans downshifts normally when I step on the gas. If I was going slow like maybe 10 mph and floored it, most of the time it would not downshift. Now it downshifts without being floored. I always attributed that to the solenoids needing to be replaced.

I also did get another change. The engine idles 50 rpm slower. I don't know if this is good, bad or who cares. Not sure.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Got a grounding kit from Shinjiduo and installed it. Didn't think I had any problems, just doing it for preventative purposes.

But I did get a benefit. My auto trans downshifts normally when I step on the gas. If I was going slow like maybe 10 mph and floored it, most of the time it would not downshift. Now it downshifts without being floored. I always attributed that to the solenoids needing to be replaced.

I also did get another change. The engine idles 50 rpm slower. I don't know if this is good, bad or who cares. Not sure.
Nice, interesting to note the effects. When I tried a grounding kit, it did nothing for me, but I guess mine are in good shape.

As for myself, just got a few AE items from another org member. Door sills, pedals, shift ****. I might do the sills/pedals today
Old 01-28-2015, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik

Where did you buy your kit?
(I did a Google search, tried several sites, but they all come with errors 501, 404, etc. ... ).
Old 01-28-2015, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy

(I did a Google search, tried several sites, but they all come with errors 501, 404, etc. ... ).
Look in the classifieds section, Shinjiduo has some listings up now for grounding kits.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
From a for sale ad in the 5th gen classifieds.

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...al-ground.html

Since he is an org member, you can pm him with questions.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen: What did you do to your 5th Gen today?