5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How to open driver door stuck locked

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

How to open driver door stuck locked

Okay so this is my first post as I am new here, I am a big Nissan fan as i own a 90 240sx, 71 240z, 93 Altima, 92 hardbody an my wife drives a 2000 maxima. But recently my wife driver side doors locked shut and about 5 hours later me and my father in law got the door fixed. I'm doin this on my phone so I don't know how to put pics but this is a quick write up on how to open a Locked door.

So far I only got the front door fixed so here's how you do it... The whole objective to getting the door open is to get to the linkage going to the outer door handle.

The whole reason the doors lock close is that the lever on the actuator it's self is stuck down(like opening the door), that's the rod going to the outer door handle, so the lock on the actuator cant do the full rotation to unlock the door.

1. First driver seat NEEDS to come out

2. Next pull off inner door handle trim and window control panel.

3. You need to pull over most of the top lip of inner door panel as much as you can and pull the back end of the panel out about 8 inches.

(Warning) the inner panel cannot be removed yet and pulling back might break the clips on the front of the door panel) but it must've done to get the door open.

Now you need to get the outer door handle

Make sure window is up

4. Remove the two brackets surrounding the rods goin to the inner door handle.

5. Then remove the one bolt holding the bottom of the window track.

6. Next you need to wiggle in there and remove the outer door handle rod, the key lock rod can be removed easier from the outside later.

7. Next remove two bolts holding the door handle. The window track is half in the way of the rear bolt.

8. The handle won't fall out, you need to push it over clips from the inside on the bottom of the handle.

9. Once pushed out remove the key lock rod from door handle.

10. Now the best part looking down through the outer door handle hole you will see a blue clip on the actuator.

11. You need to pull up on the blue clip, it's the lever that opens the door.

12. now you can unlock the door then push the lever back down to open the door.

An viola, the door should open

But remember the panel might be connected on the from of the door while opening so it takes patients to get it out with the door.

I found on my door after installing and removing about 8 times that the lower outer screw that holds the actuator in was to tight and squeezing the rivets holding the lever and the spring is not strong enough to spring the lever back up, and it was dry, needs grease. if there is any questions pm me and I can help you out as much as I can...
Old 06-07-2020, 01:31 PM

Just a follow-up to this posting in case someone else finds themselves in this position. I found a youtube video (350z guy) who showed how to open the door using a slim jim like device. I used a coat hanger slid along the inside of the glass. The end of the coat hanger was hooked to pull up on the bars that actuate the lock. Took me only a few tries. I didn't even realize that it was unlocked as quickly as it was. Hope this helps.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

A door **** lock button stuck has a few quick fixes that you can try out .
Start by trying to push the lock button.
Push and hold the button in.
Release the button quickly (try sliding your finger off the button so the pressure is maintained up until the precise moment of release with no backing off).
Old 06-19-2020, 04:49 PM

I had assumed the problem with my passenger door was a bad lock mechanism since the actuator sounded like it was working (and occasionally did work). Had the hardest time getting the part as I am not near any easily accessible junkyards. Finally got the part. What a PITA it was to get the mechanism out. I had to pop locking rods, and with the window up I had to release to undo the bolt that holds the bottom of the rear sash. Reversing everything was even more difficult as putting the rods back in place was even harder. I found leaving the lock and sash belt loose I was able to get the rods in place and then hold them down. Unfortunately my problem is not quite solved. The actuator doesn't always release the lock so I'm guessing it was the problem child. Not sure I want to bother trying this again. The outside handle makes a snapping sound when I use it so something is not positioned properly either. Almost wondering if it wouldn't be easier to find another door and replace the whole thing. Anybody have any suggestions on how to fix the problem? Thanks in advance.