5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Monroe Quick Struts: A review

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 08:13 PM

Monroe Quick Struts: A review

This is just a note in case anyone decides to search for the things.

I bought one for each corner and installed them about a month ago. I gave them about 800 miles of mixed driving to break in a bit, and they absolutely suck.

They're noisy, they clunk and rattle, and my i30 rides like a Jeep. I gotta figure out what to do. I've sent a note to Monroe Customer Service asking politely about warranty and such. Hopefully I can return them and get something better.

And now... to start searching and see what I should have gotten the first time around.

Last edited by Montego Murph; 05-29-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:57 PM

Mine are good... Had a 7 inch
gap that is now 2-3 and ride great.... Best stock struts u can find in my eyes... Now I got some on eBay also cause I needed them ASAP... Still no coilovers but there ok to
Old 05-29-2014, 09:22 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Monroe best?
I'm pleased to hear someone has had some good experience. Mine has been horrible. They also have very poor reviews everywhere I look.

I installed a set on my friends Camry and we had to re-drill the rear strut mount holes because they where off about 1/8". He's old and drives slow, so they are otherwise okay for him given his driving style.

I've had better luck ordering Gabriel Ultras as a stock replacement option. Put those on my Quest - significant improvement and no complaints or install issues.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Montego Murph

I bought one for each corner and installed them about a month ago. I gave them about 800 miles of mixed driving to break in a bit, and they absolutely suck.

They're noisy, they clunk and rattle, and my i30 rides like a Jeep. I gotta figure out what to do. I've sent a note to Monroe Customer Service asking politely about warranty and such. Hopefully I can return them and get something better.

And now... to start searching and see what I should have gotten the first time around.
Go with KYB GR2/Excell - they ride very much like the OEM struts. I have installed them in November and am very happy. RockAuto.com sell them at a reasonable price.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:39 PM

When you say it rides like a jeep do you mean it's very harsh?
You should do a full review and match them up on ride height and stuff.
Or ask them about the spring rates. Do you guys know what the stock rates are?

I can't even explain how happy I am with kyb if you need new struts just
get them. Feels like new car especially if you're coming from completely blow oem.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:21 AM
Suspension Yoda

I would check out my 'definitive suspension' thread.

GR-2's should have been the choice.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:26 AM
Get Off My Lawn

GR-2's here as well for a couple years. Doing great.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:26 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

In no way am I doubting the OP's claims, but I put on some Monroe quick struts about 2 months ago and have been really pleased. I do regular driving and long trips, and not much in the way of bending corners; I'd recommend them no prob...
Old 05-30-2014, 07:39 PM

KYB all the way for me. I just replaced my front and rears about a month ago @ 227K miles and it feels like I have a new car. I didn't realize how crappy the ride was but now, I'm golden.

I can see how the quick struts would be tempting for a quick install, but to me it was very much worth it to get the KYB's. Now if KYB had a quick strut, that would have even been better. My advise, get on Dj's suspension thread and get some good info.

Last edited by Emaximus; 05-30-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:52 AM

I installed Monroe quick struts all the way around also, no problems so far. But I also did a front end rebuild, (new CV axles, LCR bushings, sway bar link bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings) and noticed a drastic improvement in handling and drivability. I bought the quick struts off ebay for around $520 for a set of four. Installed all four in about 2 hrs.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:45 PM

I can vouch for the OP. I installed the Monroe quickstruts for the front of my car less than a year ago and the ride quality really has gone down quickly. Not only that, but the car now makes a groaning noise from the front passenger side when turning and I am pretty sure it the strut mount. I might try to retorque the bolts again and see if silicone spray does anything for the noise, as I just do not think I should have to replace the struts ALREADY-less than a year.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:52 PM

I put on the Monroe Quik Struts a few months back which replaced the OEM struts with I believe were wrapped in Tokico Gold lowering springs on my 2002 SE @167k. So far, the Monroe's ride nicely, are quiet and handle well IMO and do a much better job keeping the rubber on the pavement then my previous setup. I'm no cornering demon, but the vehicle just landed in Germany and will be put through its paces once I catch up with the car in about a month or so. After some autobahn trips I'll really see how well they do!
Overall I was happy with the ease of install and value. Got them on a buy 3 get one free MFR Rebate.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:29 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

Originally Posted by Phantasm
I put on the Monroe Quik Struts a few months back which replaced the OEM struts with I believe were wrapped in Tokico Gold lowering springs on my 2002 SE @167k. So far, the Monroe's ride nicely, are quiet and handle well IMO and do a much better job keeping the rubber on the pavement then my previous setup. I'm no cornering demon, but the vehicle just landed in Germany and will be put through its paces once I catch up with the car in about a month or so. After some autobahn trips I'll really see how well they do! Overall I was happy with the ease of install and value. Got them on a buy 3 get one free MFR Rebate.
Screw the autobahn, get your Max over to Nurberg and run the RING. After your done with that post some pics :-) I drove it last summer in a half race spec bmw, but I would have loved to have driven the ole max with 207,000ml on the od just to say I did it!
Old 06-12-2014, 06:29 AM

+1 for the KYB's, they are great as stock replacements. Have used Monroe Sensatrac in the past, they gave a very soft and floating ride, like a 1980's Cadillac
Old 06-12-2014, 07:06 AM

If the bolt holes didn't line up I think you may have had the strut rotated wrong. They have to be exact or they will be off.

I used 4 Quick Struts and they are not Sensa-trac. I don't think Monroe makes those anymore anyways. The ride is just a bit softer than I like but no complaints especially at the price point.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:50 AM

I know this is an old thread, but here are my two cents on the Monroe QuickStruts. I read all the reviews, and wanted to go with the GR2s, but due to money and time, I went with the QuickStruts kits all around. There were some positive and negative reviews for Monroe, so I took my chances. My conclusion, should have spent the money and gone with GR2s.

The Monroes on local roads feel better than my OEMs (80,000 miles and 19 yrs). Minor bumps like pavement cracks or manhole covers are felt, but not bumps like before the swap. So, I was initially happy. Then, I took it on the highway in the metro NY area, and these are harsh. Not a refined feeling like I would expect from new struts. Not worse than before the swap, but not what I had hoped for new struts/shocks. They still have less than 200miles on them, so, perhaps they will settle in a bit? We'll see. For now,
Old 05-29-2019, 05:55 AM

yea stay away ! atleast it's not exactly worse, but sounds like with a little time they may turn worse than before replacement.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:40 AM

Mixed Results.

4th Gen: Front Quick struts clunk 6 months after install, otherwise o.k.
5.5 Gen: Rear Quick Struts work great but it's only been 3 months
Old 06-05-2019, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by pastaben
The Monroes on local roads feel better than my OEMs (80,000 miles and 19 yrs). Minor bumps like pavement cracks or manhole covers are felt, but not bumps like before the swap. So, I was initially happy. Then, I took it on the highway in the metro NY area, and these are harsh. Not a refined feeling like I would expect from new struts. Not worse than before the swap, but not what I had hoped for new struts/shocks. They still have less than 200miles on them, so, perhaps they will settle in a bit? We'll see. For now,
I had Quick Struts on my old I35. They took about 1000 miles to settle in for me. I agree that the ride quality was inconsistent. I would drive the same roads every day and some days, I'd feel the bumps more. Not the best struts around, but a welcome change from the blown OEM's. I got them for a great deal so I was satisfied.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:02 PM

Monroe is Chinese crap and has been for a while. seriously my family is gear heads, one does fleet maintenance for companies and county's can tell you what cars, truck, parts brands etc etc are good or bad. and Monroe nothing but, come backs and premature failure, same with Moog.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:59 AM

My 2001 has 200xxx miles on it and at slow speeds I get a clunk sound coming from the rear suspension. I have read this thread and djrestyle's thread on suspension. Am I correct in assuming the two advantages to the Monroe quick strut is you do not have to switch the spring and the price point being what I want to spend.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Chris8428
My 2001 has 200xxx miles on it and at slow speeds I get a clunk sound coming from the rear suspension. I have read this thread and djrestyle's thread on suspension. Am I correct in assuming the two advantages to the Monroe quick strut is you do not have to switch the spring and the price point being what I want to spend.
Don't do it!

I went with monroe primarily because of the price point and the ease of replacement. I wish I had gone with the kybs. You may not even need to change the springs. Just change mounts and bumper. The way mine is now, I should've just left it alone. Not ready to spend a few hundred more to do it right, but I am waiting for an excuse to. I've put on 3000 miles since I changed them, and it hasn't gotten better.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:17 AM

Don't do it!

I went with monroe primarily because of the price point and the ease of replacement. I wish I had gone with the kybs. You may not even need to change the springs. Just change mounts and bumper. The way mine is now, I should've just left it alone. Not ready to spend a few hundred more to do it right, but I am waiting for an excuse to. I've put on 3000 miles since I changed them, and it hasn't gotten better.
I appreciate the input. The car is a daily driver so the cluck sound is annoying. Do you have a recommendation on mounts and bumpers.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chris8428
I appreciate the input. The car is a daily driver so the cluck sound is annoying. Do you have a recommendation on mounts and bumpers.
I do not have recommendations for the mounts and bumpers. I've read on these forums that the KYB GR something struts and shocks are as good as you'll get for the price point. Then, to add Moog mounts. I don't recall any spring recommendations. However, it may be that you only need to replace struts/shocks and bumpers (KYB and Moog make bumpers, I believe). If you have Original springs and mounts, you may not need to change them unless they are actually damaged.

All I'm saying from my own experience is that my full set of Monroes do not feel different than what I thought I was upgrading. When I get time, I may try to mix and match. For now, I'm just living with the Monroes. They're not worse than the originals, but not worth the money and time spent.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:38 AM

moog strut mounts on front, rears dont usually nead replacement except in rare cases, you dont need to change springs except rare cases or unless you have actual reasons, kyb would be my recommendation for a simple strut replacement, and yes you do get what you pay for,

the rear clunk could be a few thigns, maybe exhaust? maybe loose spare tire? maybe junk in the trunk ! just be sure you need struts before doing all the work and $
Old 07-01-2019, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Montego Murph

Did you install new bumpstops, boots, strut mounts???? Were they the complete Loaded Assemblies?
Old 07-02-2019, 02:35 AM

Swapping the strut is not hard IF you have a good compression method AND/OR the strut itself is long enough.

My awful DAY was spent because I needed 1/8" more strut length to be able to thread on the nut onto new strut. I don't know how people do it in the imperfect method of strut replacement.

AutoZone compressor and a strut that was the same length makes for a crap job trying to thread the nut on. YouTube video guy had 1-2" longer strut than needed and made it easy.

my new KYB are fine but I will never do that job again like that. A longer strut would have been worth gold.

How guys do it I would like to know.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:22 AM

I do not have recommendations for the mounts and bumpers. I've read on these forums that the KYB GR something struts and shocks are as good as you'll get for the price point. Then, to add Moog mounts. I don't recall any spring recommendations. However, it may be that you only need to replace struts/shocks and bumpers (KYB and Moog make bumpers, I believe). If you have Original springs and mounts, you may not need to change them unless they are actually damaged.

All I'm saying from my own experience is that my full set of Monroes do not feel different than what I thought I was upgrading. When I get time, I may try to mix and match. For now, I'm just living with the Monroes. They're not worse than the originals, but not worth the money and time spent.
Thanks. I will look into bumpers before I jump to the Monroes.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
moog strut mounts on front, rears dont usually nead replacement except in rare cases, you dont need to change springs except rare cases or unless you have actual reasons, kyb would be my recommendation for a simple strut replacement, and yes you do get what you pay for,

the rear clunk could be a few thigns, maybe exhaust? maybe loose spare tire? maybe junk in the trunk ! just be sure you need struts before doing all the work and $
I know its not the spare or anything in the trunk, but I will double check the exhaust. Good to know the springs might still have life in them.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:18 PM

do you have any pictures on the front strut mount i didn't see a bearing in the google images.
just wondering how it goes. My other cars all have bearings in them but it looks like these maximas dont?