5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need a Favor...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 03:48 AM

Need a Favor...

I'm working on a 7th gen swap motor. I haven't been able to find any literature regarding electrical control theory or data sheets for the VIAS electrical components. My 2014 motor came complete with intake manifold and all vacuum control solenoids (two for power valves, one for electronic motor mounts).

It appears that most who have performed the 5.7 swap either "T" the power valve vacuum lines together and run from a single solenoid or cap them and don't run them at all. I am taking the opposite approach and wish to utilize both power valves to their full potential. With no theory on which to base this idea other than the obvious existence of the components, I wish to use both the existing power valve solenoids, one for each power valve. To accomplish this, I need to know the signal voltage value to the power valve solenoid. Depending on the signal value, I intend to splice into the harness and provide signal and ground to an additional connector and therefore run both solenoids and power valves. I don't have a running Maxima right now, or I would do this myself, and I certainly didn't know anything about the systems before I bought the car in July. I presume signal voltage to be 12V, but I'd like to make sure before I go cooking a solenoid on the bench finding it's limits, these things are expensive, from the factory ($157), that is. Wally world online has them listed for $15??? Not sure what that means.

Anyone up for removing VIAS solenoid connector F63 from their 5.5 gen (swapped or not) while the car is running and return a signal voltage value to me? It would be much appreciated!

Also, sources to literature and any other technical information on the latest VQ VIAS system would be greatly appreciated as well.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:11 AM
Bad *** Newb

You're super-over-complicating a simple swap. Do the T method, tie open the valves or delete them. Anything else is a waste of time and yields the same result.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:11 AM

Don't worry, child, you'll still get your sammich! I have the time, as well as the desire to take full advantage of a system that has evolved over decades of R&D by highly educated and trained engineers. And if I can get my hands on variable EVT literature, I'll figure that out too.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:00 AM

User 1 do you think they would open only 1 and not the other? Or open them at different times like a step? I'm not sure but I would think they open together at the sometime! Having 2 of them flow more air than just 1 as on the 2002-2008 VQ35DE...If you need more info email Darren Surratt@NISformance.com, or call him....I personally thought there was one VIAS solenoid controlling two flapper valves...The voltage to the solenoid valve is 12v btw....The electronic motor mounts aren't needed you'll be switching to ES motor mounts which use 1995-2003 M/T motor mounts.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:09 AM

On the VIAS Solenoids, people that send their cars to the Boneyard usually leave them installed....test the solenoid and pocket as many as you can...they are way too expensive even in the aftermarket....I take these by the pocket full every visit!!!!!!!!!! I bought one and that's it I made my donation! When you wanna test stuff man just use junkyard crap to test or disassemble...All that crap is gonna get crushed anyways and it's of really no value other than to nickle and dime people to death who need it!
Old 09-02-2018, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
User 1 do you think they would open only 1 and not the other? Or open them at different times like a step? I'm not sure but I would think they open together at the sometime! Having 2 of them flow more air than just 1 as on the 2002-2008 VQ35DE...If you need more info email Darren Surratt@NISformance.com, or call him....I personally thought there was one VIAS solenoid controlling two flapper valves...The voltage to the solenoid valve is 12v btw....The electronic motor mounts aren't needed you'll be switching to ES motor mounts which use 1995-2003 M/T motor mounts.
Thanks for the response. I'll test solenoid functionality with 12v. I regards to the power valve function, I have a basic idea from reading the FSM, but I'm not sure about the entirety of the operation of the system. The FSM gives repair information only. I need theory. If I had theory and electrical data, I could even steal signal data from relative sensors, route it to and build onto any number of inexpensive, widely available microcontrollers and code functionality for whatever system I wanted. Getting the right data, however, is the challenge. If power valve operation is a function of engine RPM, coolant temp, and accelerator position, I'm sure I could figure out the code to match factory operation. The function of opening and closing a valve is simple enough. There are guys out there that build and program boards for complete custom EFI systems, among others. Same idea as your Haltech and other aftermarket computers, but on a much simpler scale of functionality and logic.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:30 PM

Electrical logic would be easier to come by if one had an oscope. Reverse engineering from there would be possible. Unfortunately I don't have one. It would be interesting to see the torque values from an active VIAS system vs a disabled one. Most people are only interested in HP gains. With anything less than a V8 powerplant, I'm more interested in torque values.