5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Weird Starting Issue??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 10:38 AM

Weird Starting Issue??

I'm having a weird issue with with my 2001 I30 (essentially a Max) where I'm getting no codes, but periodically have issues starting the car; Battery is fine since, but have to sometimes press on the gas pedal to get her to start up. Took her to AutoZone, and guy could not find any codes and he referred me to a local mechanic; took her to mechanic and he looked it over(test drive) and could not find any codes and ruled out the IACV issue and told me to return the IACV I recently bought; he told me a defective IACV would have shot a code and/or would have an issue with RPM fluctuating. He then offered a more comprehensive code reader where the car is hooked up to a computer for over an hour to run through all the sensors. Said that Nissan dealership would charge me 140 or so for the service, but offered me $50; I told him that I'll return during the weekend when I have a free pocket of time. Not sure what to do since the car is in immaculate shape and drives strong, but kinda annoying when she doesnt start up immediately forcing me to press gas pedal in conjunction with starting her up
Old 09-25-2018, 05:02 PM

• Originally Posted by vebong
    .... but have to sometimes press on the gas pedal to get her to start up. .
This looks like a typical IACV problem.
But, there are other possibilities (see below). If you do decide to replace your IACV, go with an OEM (Hitachi) only. Otherwise, you are wasting your time&money.

Originally Posted by vebong
Took her to AutoZone, and guy could not find any codes and he referred me to a local mechanic; took her to mechanic and he looked it over(test drive) and could not find any codes and ruled out the IACV issue and told me to return the IACV I recently bought; he told me a defective IACV would have shot a code and/or would have an issue with RPM fluctuating.
A dirty TB, a bad MAF, or an intermittent connector/harness issue would give you the same symptoms (poor starting).
Finally, a NO - a bad IACV will not necessarily give you a code.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:53 PM

Crank sensor??
Old 09-25-2018, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the replies again....will look into all these possibilities; just wondering why she's(I30) not shooting any error codes
Old 09-26-2018, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by vebong
Thanks for the replies again....will look into all these possibilities; just wondering why she's(I30) not shooting any error codes
Mine has recently turned on the sel light and when run immediately after no codes are stored. Clear it and doesn't come back for months. So yeah codes being thrown is not always straight forward.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:25 PM

the crank and cam sensors causes extended cranking before it will start, sometimes you have to work the pedal a little bit (supposedly)
Old 09-27-2018, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
the crank and cam sensors causes extended cranking before it will start, sometimes you have to work the pedal a little bit (supposedly)
Is there a test to see if crank or cam sensor failure? My car working fine, but still have to work to pedal when starting; went to advanceauto site, and guess I have to possibly buy two of the crankshaft position sensor(left and right) and a camshaft one too
Old 09-28-2018, 04:27 AM

From everything I've read on this site, we will be disappointed if we do NOT use Hitachi crank and cam sensors.

Aftermarket might work but everyone says they crap out in a year or so and maybe not even work the first time. They all say use Hitachi or have more "fun"....

I don't think cam sensors prevent starting but I know crank cranks can and will.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:57 AM

with the CPS sesnors (cam and crank) i remembered it going from randomly/ intermittantlely to more often to every other day. but my symptoms were not starting but more while driving and shutting off ! id say if you notice the random bad starts occuring more often than when it first started happening it could be the CPS sesnors, and i will always reiterate when i talk about CPS, do not use any thing else other than OEM or hitachi,

i got OEM.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:01 AM

and just saying it may not even be CPS, BUT if you haven't dealt with this issue already before you can't rule it out theres a chance this could be it. ( i also had no CPS codes, and had nissan dealership verify they were in ok shape (even tho they failing)
Old 09-28-2018, 08:31 AM

2001 is a cabled throttle...I would look at my fuel pressure and water temp sensor first.....