5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

All windows not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 07:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

All windows not working

All windows are not working checked relay with power probe, getting clicking sound every time but still change out with two others from junkyard. checked power at passenger door white/blue stripe wire zero power with power probe. Then I change out Master control switch I got from junkyard paid for two MCS still not working. So I removed relay and added a jumper wire now all windows working. Need new direction for repair.

A) Master window switches I got from Junkyard are the same color with the same Lettering (BA)
B) The relay is in the fuse panel in the dash (Blue in Color)
C) Checking for power on the white/blue stripe wire, the ignition switch was in the on position
D) All windows still not working checked relay with power probe I get clicking from it every time so nothing wrong with relay. checked for power at passenger door No power (00) But when adding jumper wire where relay plugs in there is power (12 V) at passenger door. So we know door motors are good relay is good Not sure about the two Master switches. Need New ideal so to remove jumper wire. Just wanted to add at Master control switch door locks kept working.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:22 PM

so if the motors are good then can take the door panel off and manually crank them up down by supplying power directly to them toor leads. sounds like possibly a wire somewhere to me?
Old 09-29-2018, 07:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I Can get the windows to go up and down with the jumper wire I have where the relay plugs in. Just would like to remove jumper and place relay back in as it should be. Thanks for the info
Old 09-30-2018, 06:56 AM

Do the power seats and sunroof work?

There's a 40A fuse under the hood, near the battery, that powers the entire circuit.
It's the one that sits where the two orange wires are going in the pic.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:55 PM

If the jumper wire you put in is where I think it is, that is the mod to allow you to roll the windows up & down without the key having to be in the ignition switch. See this link for the mod how-to - https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...indow-mod.html

Your description of the power window relay raises a question. You say you hear the relay clicking. When? The relay should only energize (click) once when you turn the ignition key to the ON or ACC positions and then stay energized until you turn the key off. When you checked for 12 volts on the white/blue stripe wire in the passenger door, it is coming from this relay.

Then there are some conflicting statements. The windows work with the jumper. The windows do not work with the relay installed (original and replacements). You feel the relay is good because you hear it clicking. There is an explanation that ALMOST makes sense, but it really can't. While the relay itself may be good, the circuit (wiring) to energize the relay could be bad. If you hear the relay click, the circuit is evidently good.

Then you say "checked for power at passenger door No power (00) But when adding jumper wire where relay plugs in there is power (12 V) at passenger door." Is this the white/blue stripe wire or a different wire? The white/blue stripe wire is the only one that would have power on it from the battery. If the window is being rolled up or down, then there will be 12 volts on another wire that is going to the motor.

At this point in time, I don't think you have a problem with the master switch.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
If the jumper wire you put in is where I think it is, that is the mod to allow you to roll the windows up & down without the key having to be in the ignition switch. See this link for the mod how-to - https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...indow-mod.html
Sweet, somehow I missed that one. I'm going to read it later and do it.

In that pic, I temporarily replaced the fuse with a switch when I had a heavy draw on the ex wifes car. It would kill the battery overnight. I narrowed it down to that circuit but it was intermittent and I didn't have time to mess with it. Sometimes it would go away for weeks then one morning it would be totally flat. I rigged the switch so she could kill the entire circuit when she parked it.

You eventually helped me narrow it down to the power seat switch based on the power of the draw. The switch would sometimes stick in the forward position and create a draw. She kept the seat all the way forward so she never noticed. When I would get in to start looking for it I'd move the seat back and the draw would disappear. Killing the entire circuit when parking the car was a band aid.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes seats do work sunroof hasn't worked for years now.
Checked 40A fuse under hood the one that reads power window and getting continuity.
And yes I can operate windows up/Down with out key being in ignition.
i'm checking the relay in my hand with a power probe and getting click every time I apply 12 volts to all three relays.
I place relay back into vehicle and held my finger to it, switch vehicle on to ACC mode No click; started vehicle up got click (I think).
Checking the white/ blue stripe wire every time at passenger door, no other, getting zero volts with power probe and test light doesn't light up (shine) with the relay in vehicle and in the ON position (ACC). So I started vehicle up still no Power. But am getting 12 Volts at passenger door with jumper wire inserted at white/blue stripe wire.
Yes all windows work when Jumper in place Auto up and Auto down all working.

What about the Relay being bad or good checking it at #1 and #2 pole clicks in hand every time all three.
I have #5 and #3 Jump out and all windows work.

Need new direction so to install relay back in system and working.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Msled1141
Yes seats do work sunroof hasn't worked for years now.
Checked 40A fuse under hood the one that reads power window and getting continuity.
And yes I can operate windows up/Down with out key being in ignition.
i'm checking the relay in my hand with a power probe and getting click every time I apply 12 volts to all three relays.
I place relay back into vehicle and held my finger to it, switch vehicle on to ACC mode No click; started vehicle up got click (I think).
Checking the white/ blue stripe wire every time at passenger door, no other, getting zero volts with power probe and test light doesn't light up (shine) with the relay in vehicle and in the ON position (ACC). So I started vehicle up still no Power. But am getting 12 Volts at passenger door with jumper wire inserted at white/blue stripe wire.
Yes all windows work when Jumper in place Auto up and Auto down all working.

What about the Relay being bad or good checking it at #1 and #2 pole clicks in hand every time all three.
I have #5 and #3 Jump out and all windows work.

Need new direction so to install relay back in system and working.
The diagram on the top of relay pole #1 and #2 should there be voltage from eather these poles. Check while car in ON position getting
Zero from one 00.30 from othe