5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rear main seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 08:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by User1
Hey chop, relax! You take this forum stuff way too seriously! Child knows his stuff and has been on this forum a while. He helped me a lot during my build and poked fun at me while he was at it. I never once thought he came across as condescending or demeaning the way you think he and others do when they interject with sarcasm or exaggeration. It's all good, man. No one here is talking smack! By the way, good find on that ebay reman! That thing looks awesome AND has a warranty. I'd feel good about that one too. 99.9% seller rating, can't beat that either! I love ebay.

Fair enough... but one-uppers just need to be put in their place.
"I'm proud of myself for getting this alternator out and it took me a while and was a struggle but I accomplished it!"
"Oh yeah?? I'm going to destroy your sense of accomplishment by saying I could've done it in HALF the time-- whatever you feel good about having done I'm still going to make you feel like s*&( because I CAN DO IT BETTER!!!"
You know what a condescending attitude like that accomplishes?? Absolutely nothing except getting people pissed off at you and taking away their pride and joy in something they accomplished. I worked with a guy JUST LIKE THAT a couple years back at WalMart HQ in Bentonville Arkansas where I live. Yes he was better at lots of things but he HAD TO MAKE SURE YOU KNEW IT and couldn't understand how it brought the whole dept down. Thankfully our manager saw it and held him back from becoming an assistant manager over several others.
I'm sure CUK has more knowledge about jobs on this car than I. But the CONTINUUM of the one-ups - I mean like EVERY SINGLE TIME the dude posts on here- is grounds for me to post EXACTLY what I did. Oh not to mention him posting that he hopes my oil pan was not the leak issue so I have to spend hundreds to get a RMS replaced. (Yes that was the point of his post, unlike you who came on here with positive responses and support.) What an *******.
Anyway thanks for affirming my alternator purchase.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Is everyone weak or something (I think this is a lot of it)?

Every single thing people ****ing cry about: "OMG, intake manifold took hours to get off!" No. "I spent all day on valve covers" No. The time it takes for all the cry babies on here to do a simple I job, I could literally pull the engine. And, no, I don't have any talent for it. If you can't do stuff by feel, then you're gonna have a bad time.
There you go User1- the proof is right in the quote above.
Hey CuK- why should it matter to you AT ALL how long it took me or anyone else to get the alternator off? Or valve covers? Or manifold?? Huh?? Answer me that one. WHY SHOULD IT MATTER TO YOU????
And don't say you want to help other Maxima owners do jobs more efficiently because helping is the EXACT opposite of what you're doing here.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:46 PM
Banned

I didn't realize alternators needed so much lubrication....

Old 05-16-2019, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by chop_sooie
There you go User1- the proof is right in the quote above.
Hey CuK- why should it matter to you AT ALL how long it took me or anyone else to get the alternator off? Or valve covers? Or manifold?? Huh?? Answer me that one. WHY SHOULD IT MATTER TO YOU????
And don't say you want to help other Maxima owners do jobs more efficiently because helping is the EXACT opposite of what you're doing here.

I dunno man. I guess I just interpret him differently. I find his delivery to be confidence inspiring, and because I agree with him about people, a reason to challenge myself to be better than them. I've always had thick skin though. And by that I mean I am an a$$hole lol. My heart is usually in the right place though
Old 05-16-2019, 08:53 PM

I didn't realize alternators needed so much lubrication....
Wow, that's a first! So you're leaking from up top as well... I'd keep it as a spare. I would break it down and clean and rebuild it myself. I've done that with a handful of the old parts that came off my car. Just cuz I like doing that kind of stuff.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:16 PM
Banned

Wow, that's a first! So you're leaking from up top as well... I'd keep it as a spare. I would break it down and clean and rebuild it myself. I've done that with a handful of the old parts that came off my car. Just cuz I like doing that kind of stuff.
I truly wonder if someone missed the oil filler and didn't bother to clean it up.
More likely though I have a leaky valve cover gasket... hopefully, a relatively easy fix.
I thought the exact same thing about cleaning it up and rebuilding it- what is necessary for that job?
Old 05-16-2019, 09:52 PM

I truly wonder if someone missed the oil filler and didn't bother to clean it up.
More likely though I have a leaky valve cover gasket... hopefully, a relatively easy fix.
I thought the exact same thing about cleaning it up and rebuilding it- what is necessary for that job?
Not sure. I've never rebuilt an alternator. Would be a fun project though.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:17 PM
Banned

Went on rockauto last night, ordered all new valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, upper intake gasket, and discovered (if you're already ordering stuff off there anyway) you can get a bottle of AT-205 for $8 so I threw that in as well. Total cost with shipping $60.
Hopefully between the new oil pan, the new valve cover gaskets, and the AT-205 sealant, I can minimize the oil leak... we'll see.
New alternator off ebay was a good deal, except that it's taking a week to get here! So I'll take care of the other stuff first, then hopefully by next weekend I'll have the new alternator installed and this $500 risk up and running!
Old 05-18-2019, 08:21 PM

Sounds good. Now till delivery of your alternator and Rockauto order would be a great time to get everything apart and thoroughly cleaned. Then all that's left is assembly when everything arrives. May as well replace the drive belt while you're at it.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:25 PM
Banned

Sounds good. Now till delivery of your alternator and Rockauto order would be a great time to get everything apart and thoroughly cleaned. Then all that's left is assembly when everything arrives. May as well replace the drive belt while you're at it.
Yep that is exactly my plan- I have Sun-Tues off so I can get everything apart and cleaned and ready to go.
I did honestly consider replacing the drive belt as well but honestly it looks almost brand new, I inspected it thoroughly and there is absolutely no sign of cracking or splitting on it at all.