5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Don't buy garbage Anchor motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 02:43 PM

Don't buy garbage Anchor motor mounts

I just spent half a day in the roasting sun installing the front and back Anchor brand Auto Trans electronic motor mounts from Rock Auto.

The connector for the front motor mount didn't fit...it was defective. The channel for the connector to slide into was too narrow, so I had to twist and deform it to make it work. Of course, I would have returned the mount had it not been completely installed and torqued down already. So after I got it to work I unplugged it again to make sure it didn't bend any pins and everything was good to go so I plugged it back in. I start up my car and the vibration is so, so much worse. The whole car shakes at idle when in gear, it feels like it has a miss in the engine. Now I have to do this rough *** job again with another set of mounts and hope they work right.

I'm sure I will also have to fight with Anchor or Rock Auto to get my money back for this garbage. I am so angry right now...if you work on your own car to keep it maintained and you find out you've got a bad part after it's been installed then you're out of luck. It's not like you're a shop and can charge the company for lost labor time. Go with a trusted brand if possible.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:13 PM

I feel your pain. I installed a pair of SKP Mounts from Rockauto (Front Radiator & Right Passenger Side) and the vibration was worse than worn out factory mounts. In fact, the passenger side mount failed on day two. The aluminum housing actually split down the side. Bought a Nissan OEM to replace it. The remaining SKP mount chirps/squeaks every time the engine shifts....
Old 05-03-2020, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Legionnaire1856
I just spent half a day in the roasting sun installing the front and back Anchor brand Auto Trans electronic motor mounts from Rock Auto.

The connector for the front motor mount didn't fit...it was defective. The channel for the connector to slide into was too narrow, so I had to twist and deform it to make it work. Of course, I would have returned the mount had it not been completely installed and torqued down already. So after I got it to work I unplugged it again to make sure it didn't bend any pins and everything was good to go so I plugged it back in. I start up my car and the vibration is so, so much worse. The whole car shakes at idle when in gear, it feels like it has a miss in the engine. Now I have to do this rough *** job again with another set of mounts and hope they work right.

I'm sure I will also have to fight with Anchor or Rock Auto to get my money back for this garbage. I am so angry right now...if you work on your own car to keep it maintained and you find out you've got a bad part after it's been installed then you're out of luck. It's not like you're a shop and can charge the company for lost labor time. Go with a trusted brand if possible.
I wish Rockauto had a review or star system so I could warn as many people as possible.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by ukmastermind
I wish Rockauto had a review or star system so I could warn as many people as possible.

Man I have a feeling they do that for a reason. I went on there to write a scathing review of the product and there is no way to do it.

I paid $174 for the 3 mounts and since it was all the way back in November all I can get is a replacement under warranty...but I'm not doing that job again and putting that trash back on my car.

I'm going to have to do factory mounts like you. Seems like everything I put on the car that isn't OEM Nissan is a total failure.

Did you do the side mounts? I'm wondering how difficult the install is...I only did the two electronic mounts but I'm still getting a loud clunk when I put it in gear.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:47 PM
Bad *** Newb

A tube of urethane is your friend.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:52 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

The side mounts are way easier than the front and rear.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:12 AM

Agreed. Just support/jack up engine and have at it.

The Front Mount near the radiator took hours. The SKP units casting was irregular and I had to fight it to make it fit. I still have a new SKP Trans Mount and Rear Mount and there is no way I'm putting those in.

Nissan OEM is Expensive, but with all the time and energy I wasted on these SKP's, it's worth every dollar.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by ukmastermind
Agreed. Just support/jack up engine and have at it.

The Front Mount near the radiator took hours. The SKP units casting was irregular and I had to fight it to make it fit. I still have a new SKP Trans Mount and Rear Mount and there is no way I'm putting those in.

Nissan OEM is Expensive, but with all the time and energy I wasted on these SKP's, it's worth every dollar.
I am about to make an order but the front electronic mount is no longer available...i can't even find it on ebay. I don't know what to do
Old 05-04-2020, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Legionnaire1856
...i can't even find it on ebay. I don't know what to do
Don't bother with the electronic mount.
Most of us disconnected them, or replaced them with "manual" mounts. Safer and cheaper.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:25 PM

This applies to all cars. Anchor mounts are garbage on everything.

Problem is most aftermarket mounts I've come across might as well all be from the same manufacturer in different boxes. I always try to sell oem engine mounts. If someone wants to go cheap I warn them it will vibrate and feel rough and that they will be on the hook for replacement again with oe mounts.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:11 PM

Is the issue with electronic mounts only? I have anchor manual mounts on since last year and so far so good.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:52 PM

just get poly ones. i went through 3 sets of mounts from different suppliers.
all broke. poly still holding it. idle sucks but better than replacing mounts.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:31 AM

Funny to hear all these arguments.
About 5 yrs ago, I replaced my passenger-side mount with an Anchor one. No problems, no vibrations, no nothing.
The other three mounts are still original.
160k, and the car is running like a Swiss watch.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by MichMaxFan
Is the issue with electronic mounts only? I have anchor manual mounts on since last year and so far so good.
Just unplug it, find some M/T mounts and buy either Red Lion Racing motor mount inserts or Energy Suspension motor mount inserts. Mine (ES) lasted 10 yrs before I needed to replace them!
Old 05-11-2020, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter
The side mounts are way easier than the front and rear.
Front and rear are easier in my opinion...
Old 05-12-2020, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Front and rear are easier in my opinion...
I wouldn't know....the weld shop installed mine when they fixed the notorious radiator support rust. Didn't say they had a problem except for removal of one of the bolts from rust.

Hehe. One less thing for me to do. I have enough vehicle repairs it seems.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:06 PM

buy a set of cheap manual engine mounts and install energy suspension bushings into them....