5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Smoked A IS300 (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by maxman2k

This is horribly incorrect. Any straight thinking, unbiased, honest driver will be able to clearly see that the IS is in another league when it comes to handling. In the last comparison test(and even though i dont like using mag specs i think its pretty hard to screw up skidpad numbers)an IS pulled .91 on the skidpad, bone stock!! Now come on and be truthful, you know a max cant touch that. And it isnt asked to, because its not a sports sedan. Thats all i am saying.
dood lets look at something here, im not sure of the correct price on an IS but from what i am reading its about 6k-10k more then the max...i added 678.00 dollars worth of suspension from STILLEN on my max and believe you me when i tell you i will run away from an IS any day,time,minute,second,month,year...and thats all there is to it!
Old 03-31-2002, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

LoL...IS300s are a joke.

I had a full car.
MaximaGTR, 190hpKilla, Burton069 and Toylet in the car, and we raced a IS300 stick, and I walked him still w/ 5 people including myself in the car. I had to let go at the top of 2nd gear to let him catch up, my car shifted into 3rd, and w/ OD off, my TC locked up around 4000rpm, and IS300 was coming and OD off...and walked him still.

Come up to DPA tonite, Pathmark Lot.

-Peace
THANK YOU! And ill be @ DPA next sat. night
Old 03-31-2002, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by woosh
When he asked if you wanted to race for slips you should said naw, don't want your whole car but I'll take the wheels.

I think the wheels on the IS300 would look good on our six.

my 0.02c
wooosh
Good One!
Old 03-31-2002, 11:06 PM

You still didnt get what i am saying. Performance is more than straightline speed. IIRC a few months back the debate was about how the max was better than the GTP because it was a better overall performer and was a better car even though it is slower(for 2k and 2k1 anyway). And this was even with the fact that the max cost more. You say "performance and handling", well, performance is handling, its not a seperate entity. Not dissing the max, because i love my max, and on long road trips its still my car of choice, but any driving enthusiast would prefer to drive the IS any day of the week on a twisty backroad where the true nature of a car can be found. I paid just over 27k for my max when it was new. I paid $30k for my IS. I think that my $2500 extra was well spent on the IS. But hey, maybe beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am in no way saying your opinion is wrong, I am just trying to help you to see that just because you may have beaten an IS in a light to light street race, that doesnt make it a better car. And just because the IS handles better and is more of a drivers car doesnt make it a better car. They are both great cars and both deserve credit. One last thing. The max isnt really IS competition anyway. The IS is aimed at the 3 series and it undercuts the 330 by about $8k when i was shopping. It is a tick slower, but it outhandles it. so when you look at that competition you may see that perhaps the IS has more essence than you perhaps give it credit for.
A tick slower and outhandles it Man, you are really too much... 3 series Bimmers own in handling, build quality, materials, 1/4 mile, 0-60, you name it, the 330 will DESTROY IS300's in
Old 04-01-2002, 05:47 AM

Ever since all the old-timers have started leaving, the age and IQ of this board has really gone down. Every single one of my replies to this thread have been respectful and I have not been derogatory once. Yet you all have shown your intelligence by ripping me and whatever I say. What you dont realize is that you only damage your own credibilty with your blatant lack of subjectivity and your "whatever i have is best" attitude. Like I said before I love Maximas, I have owned one since 1992. I have a 2k now, which is my 5th maxima. All I ever said was that the two cars are in different classes. I said that if one car is faster, it probably is the maxima, its lighter with more HP. The IS handles better, without question, thats a fact, but no, that concession cant be made, because Maximas are just the greatest thing ever. And whoever thinks that an IS is $6k-$10k more than a max is waaaay off, like i said I paid $30k for mine brand new. So for your own future good, some people should really think about what they write before they post, because it is very easy to make oneself look like an idiot. (I know whats coming following this post, and frankly I dont care because all these new kids on here are flooding this site and running it into the ground. I really miss the good old days.)
Old 04-01-2002, 06:21 AM

I think everyone would agree that the is300 has better handling stock for stock than a maxima. RWD and its sick skidpad numbers. What you dont see is that people arent comparing stock cars. They are comparing their modded suspension maximas to stock is300's. So its pretty useless arguing with people over wat their modded cars can do cuz you simply dont know.
Old 04-01-2002, 06:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ever since all the old-timers have started leaving, the age and IQ of this board has really gone down. Every single one of my replies to this thread have been respectful and I have not been derogatory once. Yet you all have shown your intelligence by ripping me and whatever I say. What you dont realize is that you only damage your own credibilty with your blatant lack of subjectivity and your "whatever i have is best" attitude. Like I said before I love Maximas, I have owned one since 1992. I have a 2k now, which is my 5th maxima. All I ever said was that the two cars are in different classes. I said that if one car is faster, it probably is the maxima, its lighter with more HP. The IS handles better, without question, thats a fact, but no, that concession cant be made, because Maximas are just the greatest thing ever. And whoever thinks that an IS is $6k-$10k more than a max is waaaay off, like i said I paid $30k for mine brand new. So for your own future good, some people should really think about what they write before they post, because it is very easy to make oneself look like an idiot. (I know whats coming following this post, and frankly I dont care because all these new kids on here are flooding this site and running it into the ground. I really miss the good old days.)
I agree that the "mine is better than yours" stuff (i.e. russ in particular) gets tiresome after a while. There is no doubt, if anyone on this board has bothered to read anything, that the IS 300 far outperforms the Maxima in handling.

I think some of the debate comes from your claims that the IS is just as fast as the max. In the experience of many, along with the car mags, it is not.

You never did answer my question about whether you have an auto maxima or a 5spd - which tends to make me think you have an auto. I can see the IS being closer to the performance of an auto than a 5spd.

By the way, I paid 24500 out the door for my loaded 2k SE 5spd. Similar deals can be found on 2k2s.

In all, I like the IS300 looks on the outside but not the inside (dash). It is a wonderful handling car but a bit underpowered for its price range. That to me is a problem. However, the aftermarket support will more than makeup the difference. And - its a Lexus - a big plus.

For the record, if you can't take a little heat - don't turn on the stove - if you know what I mean!
Old 04-01-2002, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Max_Gator

I agree that the "mine is better than yours" stuff (i.e. russ in particular) gets tiresome after a while. There is no doubt, if anyone on this board has bothered to read anything, that the IS 300 far outperforms the Maxima in handling.

I think some of the debate comes from your claims that the IS is just as fast as the max. In the experience of many, along with the car mags, it is not.

You never did answer my question about whether you have an auto maxima or a 5spd - which tends to make me think you have an auto. I can see the IS being closer to the performance of an auto than a 5spd.

By the way, I paid 24500 out the door for my loaded 2k SE 5spd. Similar deals can be found on 2k2s.

In all, I like the IS300 looks on the outside but not the inside (dash). It is a wonderful handling car but a bit underpowered for its price range. That to me is a problem. However, the aftermarket support will more than makeup the difference. And - its a Lexus - a big plus.

For the record, if you can't take a little heat - don't turn on the stove - if you know what I mean!
Ginally a little subjecttivity. You seem to be one of the only ones replying here that is reasonable. Oh, and for some reason I missed your question about whether mine is a 5 speed or a auto, sorry about that. But mine is a 5 speed for the record. You do make a good point about the IS being underpowered. In fact one of the main discussions always being talked about on IS300.net is how the IS is falling behind in the HP wars to the likes of the 330, TL-s, G35, and in this case the Max. But to me, power isnt the first thing I look for in a car, so its not really a big deal to me. My IS will run a 15 flat 1/4 mile, and thats fast enough for me. I really enjoy driving the car because of the other things it brings, such as its compact size and awesome handling dynamics. And really there is no point arguing over this anyway, they are both great cars and we are lucky that we are smart enough to own the likes of a maxima or an IS300, right?
Old 04-01-2002, 02:59 PM
TCm

Ginally a little subjecttivity. You seem to be one of the only ones replying here that is reasonable.

<SNIP>
And really there is no point arguing over this anyway, they are both great cars and we are lucky that we are smart enough to own the likes of a maxima or an IS300, right?
You're right, they are both great cars. But you have to expect that if you go into a forum that supports open dialog, you will receive numerous responses from members that have opposing viewpoints from your own. This is especially true when you go into a special groups forum.

Cars, like religion, have enthusiasts that feel very strongly about whatever topic they are discussing. If people did not have such thoughts and feelings, and a will to defend those, they would not be considered enthusiasts.

Just because people offer differing opinions, it does not automatically make them complete morons.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:36 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Ginally a little subjecttivity. You seem to be one of the only ones replying here that is reasonable. Oh, and for some reason I missed your question about whether mine is a 5 speed or a auto, sorry about that. But mine is a 5 speed for the record. You do make a good point about the IS being underpowered. In fact one of the main discussions always being talked about on IS300.net is how the IS is falling behind in the HP wars to the likes of the 330, TL-s, G35, and in this case the Max. But to me, power isnt the first thing I look for in a car, so its not really a big deal to me. My IS will run a 15 flat 1/4 mile, and thats fast enough for me. I really enjoy driving the car because of the other things it brings, such as its compact size and awesome handling dynamics. And really there is no point arguing over this anyway, they are both great cars and we are lucky that we are smart enough to own the likes of a maxima or an IS300, right?
Please post that "15 flat" 1/4-mile time slip. Yeah right!

If your IS300 AUTO can run a "15 flat" than I'm running low to mid 14's, which I'm not. Considering the 2 to 2-1/2 car lengths I pulled from 50-90mph. Actually I believe it was 60-90mph, but I like to give the IS300 more of a chance.

Anyways, your definitely not worth wasting anymore time on, since your IS300 is a Max killer.

BTW, I paid $24K and some change for my '01 Max, so that IS a $6K difference, which nowdays is more than a bare bones 2K2 will cost ya.
Old 04-02-2002, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Please post that "15 flat" 1/4-mile time slip. Yeah right!

If your IS300 AUTO can run a "15 flat" than I'm running low to mid 14's, which I'm not. Considering the 2 to 2-1/2 car lengths I pulled from 50-90mph. Actually I believe it was 60-90mph, but I like to give the IS300 more of a chance.

Anyways, your definitely not worth wasting anymore time on, since your IS300 is a Max killer.

BTW, I paid $24K and some change for my '01 Max, so that IS a $6K difference, which nowdays is more than a bare bones 2K2 will cost ya.
Hey *******, why dont you read before you post. I have a 5 speed IS300, and yes it will run a 15 flat, and no i wont post a time slip to prove myself to morons like you. 2-2 1/2 car lengths?? yeah ok whatever...
Old 04-02-2002, 07:10 AM

and no i wont post a time slip to prove myself to morons like you.
Dont post times you cant back up....
Old 04-02-2002, 08:26 AM

Hey *******, why dont you read before you post. I have a 5 speed IS300, and yes it will run a 15 flat, and no i wont post a time slip to prove myself to morons like you. 2-2 1/2 car lengths?? yeah ok whatever...
You can ask for yourself.

"HisEminence"(sp?) on Club Lexus board. It was his "loaner" while his GS400 was being serviced.

No timeslips, no proof. Magazine numbers don't mean much.

Don't get so pi$$y, you just spent $30K on a Camry with Alteezas.

Now that's FUNNY.
Old 04-02-2002, 10:06 AM
RussMaxManiac

Yea and you are one of the ones included in the tiresome after a while. I am a old timer myself, and I haven't left like the rest of them because I deal with people like you and others that think the Maxima is god, or other cars. This is the issue you guys have. Now your thinking even with suspension the Maxima will take a IS300 in the turns or hang with it? lol!!!! Not that you said that, but that is what I am seeing from this post. The IS300 highway, is about as quick as a 4thgen on the highway, 5th gen a hair quicker 2k2 is much quicker. They aren't that slow. But it will kill it in the twisties even if the max had suspension.

Remember this, you never saw me post in this IS300 flame war before it started. You are one of the ones who started it, not me. I was called apon by a friend to talk about this since I have driven one.

Originally posted by Max_Gator

Old 04-02-2002, 10:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Here we go.

Old 04-02-2002, 11:11 AM

Russ, not trying to flame but...

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
Yea and you are one of the ones included in the tiresome after a while. I am a old timer myself, and I haven't left like the rest of them because I deal with people like you and others that think the Maxima is god, or other cars. This is the issue you guys have. Now your thinking even with suspension the Maxima will take a IS300 in the turns or hang with it? lol!!!! Not that you said that, but that is what I am seeing from this post. The IS300 highway, is about as quick as a 4thgen on the highway, 5th gen a hair quicker 2k2 is much quicker. They aren't that slow. But it will kill it in the twisties even if the max had suspension.

Remember this, you never saw me post in this IS300 flame war before it started. You are one of the ones who started it, not me. I was called apon by a friend to talk about this since I have driven one.

Do you really consider 2 to 2-1/2 car lengths from 60-90mph a "hair quicker"?

I'm just not sure what you mean, since to me that is pretty significant. A bumper or maybe a fender from 0-60 is a CLOSE race.

I agree about some people claiming the "Maxima is God" thing, I know you weren't talking to me, but I don't claim that by any means. If your bored and need some "interesting" claims check out www.is300.net. Those guys are almost as bad as clubSI guys you like tormenting so much. WRX's, TL-S, new M3(WTF?), low 14 sec. 1/4, etc..
Old 04-02-2002, 11:23 AM

Re: Russ, not trying to flame but...

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Do you really consider 2 to 2-1/2 car lengths from 60-90mph a "hair quicker"?

I'm just not sure what you mean, since to me that is pretty significant. A bumper or maybe a fender from 0-60 is a CLOSE race.

I agree about some people claiming the "Maxima is God" thing, I know you weren't talking to me, but I don't claim that by any means. If your bored and need some "interesting" claims check out www.is300.net. Those guys are almost as bad as clubSI guys you like tormenting so much. WRX's, TL-S, new M3(WTF?), low 14 sec. 1/4, etc..
Another thing that isnt true...If you ever actually read the posts on IS300.net, you will see that for the most part they are pretty reasonable as to how fast their cars are. In fact most of the people complain about the lack of power that the IS has. In fact there are a few recent posts where they state..."lost to a WRX and I'm not surprised"...of course you will have your idiots who make ridiculous claims, like how they may have beat a certain car by 2 1/2 lengths or something crazy like that, but every board has people like that.
Old 04-02-2002, 11:35 AM

Re: Re: Russ, not trying to flame but...

Another thing that isnt true...If you ever actually read the posts on IS300.net, you will see that for the most part they are pretty reasonable as to how fast their cars are. In fact most of the people complain about the lack of power that the IS has. In fact there are a few recent posts where they state..."lost to a WRX and I'm not surprised"...of course you will have your idiots who make ridiculous claims, like how they may have beat a certain car by 2 1/2 lengths or something crazy like that, but every board has people like that.
Not sure if your implying something with the "2 1/2 lengths ", but of course all boards have some of those types of claims.

I just browsed the board to see what people were running at the track. M3, WRX's, If anyone posted that crap here they would be FLAMED immediately.