5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My Agx Install Dramma

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 10:29 PM

My Agx Install Dramma

Some people are confused about installing the AGX, so i decided to do a write up.

Below is how i get mine done.

1. I installed the AGX with the 4th gen mounts(i got from cattman), drive all the way to DE and came back and heard knocking sounds on left. I know something was wrong. Both 4th gen mounts got busted. They were suppose to spin freely when the wheel sturns and they did not. They were too tight . I put on back my Tokicos/Eibach with the 5th gen mounts again, just to drive around. I was almost ready to give up doing the AGX. I let the AGX sit home for a few days and took a few days thinking what will be my next step.

2. I ordered a pair of 5th gen mounts from Queens Nissan for $70, then took them to a machine shop on 129st on 95th ave to have them machine off half cm on each spindle on the mounts(cost $10 ). I learned about half cm on this site from someone who did it. Don't remember who.

3. I took my car in my garage and started working again. I installed the agx with some help from my brother, using the modded 5th gen mounts and the Eibachs. I drove around and heard a noise from my left front. I know what the problem was this time. The strut spindle was not properly balanced in the center, so it was touching the mount spindle housing(the one that i had to clip half cm off).

4. I reinstalled the left front and i'm ok now with no problems.

On the rears i had no problem, except the spring will not go all the way down on the rear shock seat, but you have to install it in such as way that the weight of the car will push it down. Also i reused the stock dust boot/bumpstops on rear and front. i kept my original 5th gen mounts that came on my car, just in case i have to reinstall back to factory specs

HERE IS A WHAT I HAVE TO SAY TO MY MAX FANS, STAY AWAY FROM THE 4TH GEN MOUNTS. THEY WERE MADE FOR THE 4TH GEN AND NOT 5TH GEN. IF YOU USED THE 4TH GEN ONES AND HAD NO PROBLEMS GOOD LUCK, BUT READ NUMBER ONE ABOVE SORRY COULDN'T GET PICS OF THE INSTALL.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thx for the post.....I wonder whats up with Cattman...they modified the AGX and gauranteed it will fit.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
thx for the post.....I wonder whats up with Cattman...they modified the AGX and gauranteed it will fit.
well i called them and complaint and they said i was the second one to complaint about my install with Eibachs. I think they said the maxspeed or progress spring works well with no problems. If they had proper instructions on the install i wouldn't have gone through all this, but after all am happy with the AGX, just a little of work man.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:58 AM

man...agx and eibach were my choice....now I might have to give up one of them. Any other spring u will suggest? Maxspeed sounded too cheap and it makes me worried about their quality. Not sure about progress.

Originally posted by Deven2kStickMax

well i called them and complaint and they said i was the second one to complaint about my install with Eibachs. I think they said the maxspeed or progress spring works well with no problems. If they had proper instructions on the install i wouldn't have gone through all this, but after all am happy with the AGX, just a little of work man.
Old 05-14-2002, 10:05 AM

man...agx and eibach were my choice....now I might have to give up one of them. Any other spring u will suggest? Maxspeed sounded too cheap and it makes me worried about their quality. Not sure about progress.

if u already have eibachs i suggest you keep them . the install is easy just have to follow the right steps, unless you don't want the headace you can get progress. she fits flush in the rears according to cattman tech. also there is a few people here that did Eibach and AGX, you can ask them . For me it worth it for the ride quality.

check this out eibach vs h & R springs...something to think about

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/t...bach_hr_rd.htm
Old 05-14-2002, 12:11 PM

thx man

if u already have eibachs i suggest you keep them . the install is easy just have to follow the right steps, unless you don't want the headace you can get progress. she fits flush in the rears according to cattman tech. also there is a few people here that did Eibach and AGX, you can ask them . For me it worth it for the ride quality.

check this out eibach vs h & R springs...something to think about

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/t...bach_hr_rd.htm
Old 05-15-2002, 04:57 PM
Maxima Pilot

Dat article in TireRack.com was ezzzactly

why I did Eibachs in lieu of H&Rs on my SE along with the Tokico Blues...two months now, no noises, no creaks, no groans, no clunks, dead, pregnant silence...
Old 05-15-2002, 05:38 PM

Re: My Agx Install Dramma

SO whats the big deal with these AGX struts, i am gonna be in the shopping scene in a few weeks for struts. why not Tokicos, seem simple, and they make them for the 5th gen, Are these AGX like the second coming of christ type deal?
Roger
Old 05-15-2002, 06:02 PM
Very sound, Mike

AGX is adjustable that's all
Old 05-15-2002, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by soundmike
AGX is adjustable that's all
not adjustable alone, but performs goooood too.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:21 PM
Very sound, Mike

I usually put that as a given, but just for the record... "performs goooood too!"

not adjustable alone, but performs goooood too.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Im looking to lower my car with some eibachs and i need some new struts too. Ive been researching between the Tokicos and the KYBs and i dunno what to do. Does anyone kno when KYB is gonna release a AGX for the 5th gen and also i herd things about the Tokico illuminas being made for the 5th gen. Anyone got any suggestions for me, I know that im going with the eibachs but now i just need a strut. What is wrong with the tokicos besides the fact that they arent adjustable? I really would like the AGXs but after reading about all these problems and i do think that modified 4th gen struts is kinda sketchy anyways...can someone help me out?
Old 05-15-2002, 08:58 PM

some ppl have problem with tokicos....esp the rear shocks...they are unexpected short-lived and not stiff enough for performance.

I am still deciding btw AGX and tokicos.

Originally posted by scmaxima2k
Im looking to lower my car with some eibachs and i need some new struts too. Ive been researching between the Tokicos and the KYBs and i dunno what to do. Does anyone kno when KYB is gonna release a AGX for the 5th gen and also i herd things about the Tokico illuminas being made for the 5th gen. Anyone got any suggestions for me, I know that im going with the eibachs but now i just need a strut. What is wrong with the tokicos besides the fact that they arent adjustable? I really would like the AGXs but after reading about all these problems and i do think that modified 4th gen struts is kinda sketchy anyways...can someone help me out?
Old 05-16-2002, 06:27 PM

some ppl have problem with tokicos....esp the rear shocks...they are unexpected short-lived and not stiff enough for performance.

I am still deciding btw AGX and tokicos.

what problems are you talking about mr. maxi-overdose? there is no problem, is just that is a first time install and the steps are easy as 123, if you follow like what i did and everyone else did. what's the big deal? this is the easiest thing to do, just have to make the effort. talking about problems, how about doing the KONI's install? That's some work, but the only person i know did that was Kevin i think. At least you don't have to rip any shocks apart...