5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

stupid sunroof. . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 07:24 AM

stupid sunroof. . .

I was out for a ride this AM in my car and wanted to open my sunroof, and much to my surprise the damn thing didnt open. It has worked perfectly in the past but all the sudden when you slide that little tab back it just doesnt work. Heres the freaky thing, I decided to try the other button (the one to just tilt it up and open) and that one started opening the roof. I had to push it four times to get it open becuase it kept stopping at the points where the other switch is supposed to stop (1/4 open, 1/2 open, 3/4 open, full open). And than to shut the window I had to push it four times the other way. Sounds electrical to me. . .what do you all think. . any suggestions?

btw, its a 2K2 6-speed. . .

thanks
Old 06-01-2002, 08:07 AM

Interesting timing on your post. Just last night, I had to slide my tab 3 times back and forth for it to engage. There must be some contact points that arent' quite doing their job. Quite honestly, that is one feature on this car that I will be surprised if it holds up over time. I use my roof every day and the mechanism just feels a little flimsy. But so far, I've not had any other weird occurrences, like it opening by itself like some others have had (there's a post on it somewhere).

I think I'll mention it to my dealer next time I'm in for service; at least if they can't do anything to fix it right now, it will be documented.

good luck.

srm
Old 06-01-2002, 09:56 AM

That @$#$ switch

I noticed the same non-response on that flimsy switch for the sun-roof. I went to open it and the switch did not work. A few gigles later then it opened. Went out a few minutes ago same thing. After sliding the switch back and forth a few times, it finaly opened. Lets see what Nissan has to say about that issue, especially that the warm weather is here.
Old 06-01-2002, 10:20 AM

Non sliding sunroof

Well I am glad to see that I am not the only one that has had problems. When I installed my new XM radio, then my new Kenwood deck (both times disconnecting power at battery) I had to do the same thing to open and close my sunroof. After doing this once, the sunroof has worked fine. I am not sure if it has anything to do witth disconnecting power, but that is when it happened to me. Also I installed an amp in my friends car, (a 2002 eclipse P.O.S.), she had the same thing happen. It is freaky if you ask me.
Old 06-01-2002, 10:35 AM

Re: Non sliding sunroof

Originally posted by mpc578
Well I am glad to see that I am not the only one that has had problems. When I installed my new XM radio, then my new Kenwood deck (both times disconnecting power at battery) I had to do the same thing to open and close my sunroof. After doing this once, the sunroof has worked fine. I am not sure if it has anything to do witth disconnecting power, but that is when it happened to me. Also I installed an amp in my friends car, (a 2002 eclipse P.O.S.), she had the same thing happen. It is freaky if you ask me.
my car was just in the shop for 5 weeks getting some pretty major body work/engine work done. when i finally picked the car up on thursday i slide the button back to open the roof and nothing happened. i switched it forward the back again. nothing happened. did this a couple more times. then i tilted it up, tilted it down and slid the switch back again and it opened. MAYBE it has something to do with connecting the battery along with there just being a problem with it in general. many MANY people have had this same problem. some peoples' sunroofs have even opened by themselves on occasion.
Old 06-01-2002, 10:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Did a little search for you.

Guy's,

Go read this post:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....=reset+sunroof

It seems you have to "reset" the sunroof.
Old 06-01-2002, 10:46 AM

Re: Re: Non sliding sunroof

Originally posted by Newman

when i finally picked the car up on thursday i slide the button back to open the roof and nothing happened. i switched it forward the back again. nothing happened. did this a couple more times. then i tilted it up, tilted it down and slid the switch back again and it opened.
I noticed a few things too.. For instance, if you slide the switch back while the car is off, and then turn the car on, it won't respond. (i.e. if it's closed and you slide it to open, it won't open when you turn on the car...at least mine doesn't).

I have a question sort of off topic. I know it's been covered before but....if you take off the plastic wind fairing on the roof, does this decrease any of the wind noise from the roof being open? Mine's starting to crack anyhow, and I'm thinking I should take it off before it damages the paint. (I hit 120 too many times...It's starting to spider where the bolt is on the drivers side...and no, it didn't come like that.)
Old 06-01-2002, 11:02 AM

Re: Re: Re: Non sliding sunroof

Originally posted by DrVolkl

I noticed a few things too.. For instance, if you slide the switch back while the car is off, and then turn the car on, it won't respond. (i.e. if it's closed and you slide it to open, it won't open when you turn on the car...at least mine doesn't).

I have a question sort of off topic. I know it's been covered before but....if you take off the plastic wind fairing on the roof, does this decrease any of the wind noise from the roof being open? Mine's starting to crack anyhow, and I'm thinking I should take it off before it damages the paint. (I hit 120 too many times...It's starting to spider where the bolt is on the drivers side...and no, it didn't come like that.)
Mine came cracked. I recently removed it because I think it looks alot better without it. I have not noticed much more wind noise at all. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention. Regardless, take it off and see how you like it. If it becomes too noisy for you, put it back on.
Old 06-01-2002, 11:23 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

yeah..

owners manuals are wonderful things

no really, they should but the reset procedure in a more conspicious place..
Old 06-01-2002, 11:28 AM

Re: stupid sunroof. . .

Originally posted by abcdefhg
I was out for a ride this AM in my car and wanted to open my sunroof, and much to my surprise the damn thing didnt open. It has worked perfectly in the past but all the sudden when you slide that little tab back it just doesnt work. Heres the freaky thing, I decided to try the other button (the one to just tilt it up and open) and that one started opening the roof. I had to push it four times to get it open becuase it kept stopping at the points where the other switch is supposed to stop (1/4 open, 1/2 open, 3/4 open, full open). And than to shut the window I had to push it four times the other way. Sounds electrical to me. . .what do you all think. . any suggestions?

thanks
This happened after you disconnected the battery huh?
Read the manual on how to reprogram it if that's the case, if it's not call a person you "should" consider a good guy to get to know. He's your service consultant.
l8tr -- SS
Old 06-01-2002, 11:36 AM

I just started having this problem about a week ago and my 2k2 has
1800 miles on it
Old 06-01-2002, 11:43 AM

If you would like a new sunroof wind deflector, let me know. That was the first thing I did to my 2k2 was take it off. Its just sitting in my garage now taking up space. Just pay the shipping and its yours. Reply to this post if your are interested.
Old 06-01-2002, 12:00 PM

Re: yeah..

Originally posted by TimW
owners manuals are wonderful things

no really, they should but the reset procedure in a more conspicious place..
Don't you know Tim... the LAST thing people do is read the manual!
Old 06-01-2002, 12:50 PM
I miss the .org!

Some people have complained of the sunroof opening by itself? That concerns me the most!! Does that only happen when you're actually driving (or got the car on) or has anyone ever noticed it happend when the car was not on? hm...
Old 06-01-2002, 04:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Non sliding sunroof

Originally posted by suds1

If you would like a new sunroof wind deflector, let me know. That was the first thing I did to my 2k2 was take it off. Its just sitting in my garage now taking up space. Just pay the shipping and its yours. Reply to this post if your are interested.
Thanks for the offer. I'm not that interested in the thing...It seems that it's pretty noisy with it in place, I'm just wondering what it's like without it. I like the look of your car without it, so I'll probably do the same. My GSR had close to NO wind noise with it's roof open..and it slide on the outside. WTF? I'm going to get my screw driver right now!

Hmmm...never really taken an "extra" off a car...I'm used to just adding crap. Feels kinda wierd.

Old 06-01-2002, 05:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

abcdefhg I was out for a ride this AM in my car and wanted to open my sunroof, and much to my surprise the damn thing didnt open. It has worked perfectly in the past but all the sudden when you slide that little tab back it just doesnt work. Heres the freaky thing, I decided to try the other button (the one to just tilt it up and open) and that one started opening the roof. I had to push it four times to get it open becuase it kept stopping at the points where the other switch is supposed to stop (1/4 open, 1/2 open, 3/4 open, full open). And than to shut the window I had to push it four times the other way. Sounds electrical to me. . .what do you all think. . any suggestions?

thanks
actually that happened in my 2k2 several times, I had the dealer ordered a new switch for me! WAITED FOR 2 MONTHS, than all of sudden it worked again.....sigh
the dealer won't replace it now, b/c its working
Old 06-01-2002, 08:32 PM

My sunroof wind deflector was cracked also near a bolt on the driver's side. Had it replaced under warranty recently. Just a FYI in case you want to keep it on your max.
Old 06-02-2002, 09:27 AM
lcf

id be willing to take the deflector!!!!!!!!! plz respond.
Old 06-02-2002, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by lcf
id be willing to take the deflector!!!!!!!!! plz respond.
Its yours. E-mail me the address you want it mailed too.

dssingletary@earthlink.net

I don't know how much shipping will be. If its not much then I'll just pay for it.
Old 06-02-2002, 11:28 AM
lcf

Its yours. E-mail me the address you want it mailed too.

dssingletary@earthlink.net

I don't know how much shipping will be. If its not much then I'll just pay for it.
gotmail! btw, nice 2k2!!
Old 06-02-2002, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by JAKE02

My sunroof wind deflector was cracked also near a bolt on the driver's side. Had it replaced under warranty recently. Just a FYI in case you want to keep it on your max.
I probably should just because I can...however I'm just going to leave it off so what's the point of getting another one...unless someone wants a nice one then I suppose I could ship it to em...seems like an awful bit of trouble, and I don't like having the dealership touch my car. (I don't trust em!) First attempt was thwarted when I went outside with only my screw driver. Will attempt again today with screwdriver and wrench. Yes, I'm lazy.
Old 06-02-2002, 09:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Non sliding sunroof

Will attempt again today with screwdriver and wrench.
Took off the roof deflector. What a difference. The roof is WAY quieter when popped open, a little quieter when slid open. I like the look too.

Found numerous cracks in the sheild that were not there when I bought it....what a piece of junk.
3846 miles....

Old 06-02-2002, 09:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Non sliding sunroof

Took off the roof deflector. What a difference. The roof is WAY quieter when popped open, a little quieter when slid open. I like the look too.

Found numerous cracks in the sheild that were not there when I bought it....what a piece of junk.
3846 miles....

maybe ill take mine off now. if it doesnt reduce noise then whats the point of it? all it does is potentially harm the paint underneath (so ive heard) and water and other things just stuck under there.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:07 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Non sliding sunroof

Originally posted by Newman

maybe ill take mine off now. if it doesnt reduce noise then whats the point of it? all it does is potentially harm the paint underneath (so ive heard) and water and other things just stuck under there.
A lot of people think it looks cool...as did I. My girlfriend still thinks it looks better with it, but she does admit that it looks sportier without it. It also allows more light to come in, gives you more of a view forward through it. My paint is a little smudged, but I figure a few washes and a wax should take care of that. I'm going to do some high speed testing today on my way to work to see if I can tell the difference.
Old 06-03-2002, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by Hobert

Mine came cracked. I recently removed it because I think it looks alot better without it. I have not noticed much more wind noise at all. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention. Regardless, take it off and see how you like it. If it becomes too noisy for you, put it back on.
Did you know you could get it (the sunroof wind deflector) replaced under warranty...I did... I saw a post in here about and took mine in to get it replaced... I told them it was a manufacturing defect because I've seen several cars, older cars too, that have had them without a single crack.

But... the service guy that handled my case was such a prickhead that he didn't really want to do anything with it. He said it only carried a 1yr/12k mi warranty too.. All BS.... He even changed the work order statement to read "customer claims sunroof wind deflector is cracked... Inspect then replace if necessary..." It was so obvious that it was cracked. Maybe next time when I do go in for something I'll ask to talk to the Manager first...
Old 06-03-2002, 12:47 PM

Yeah, mine didn't work when I brought my car home. I was going to return it for service but I read the manual in time. I guess they disconnected my battery when they had it on the showroom floor.
Old 06-11-2002, 06:43 PM

great, i took my ride in to the dealership for the 30k service last week, today i found out i have problems with my sunroof. I was driving on the freeway when i wanted to close the tilt on my sunroof. so i pushed the button (i had the sun cover covering it so i couldn't see the sunroof) to close the tilt. anyway i didn't hear it and i thought probably cuz i was listening to the radio too loud, so for safe measure i decided to push the close tilt "again". this time i heard it but i thought it's wierd how i could hear it quite well that time, so i push it again ONE more time, to MY SURPRISE, the sunroof opens an inch!

so i'm thinking...what the heck? (i thought maybe i had flickered the sliding roof switch) so i decide to close it so i hold down the sliding roof switch to close but it only moves in increments! and the super weird thing, both switches do the same thing now. I can tilt the sunroof with the sliding switch. and vice versa. also when it slides open/close it goes in increments! the auto slide doesn't work either. i tried the "reset" but it didn't work. maybe cuz i have a 2K not a 2K2? cuz I looked in my manual and it doesn't have a section on resetting the sunroof. i called Nissan they told me to bring it in any suggestions?
Old 06-11-2002, 11:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Non sliding sunroof

Hey, can you do me a favor, and get on the expressway @70mph with someone in the back seat?

I'd like to know if his ears start bleeding and his eyes bulge.

(Seriously, if you don't get the flutter and pressure changes at high speeds, I'd take mine off... The deflector that is...)
Old 06-14-2002, 07:31 PM

deflector demoted

...after reading some of the posts about removing the deflector, it got me to thinking. I never have liked how it blocks some of the view out the front of the roof and I was sort of concerned about the retention of water and dirt..but not too much. Anyway, I decided to remove it to see how I liked it. Now the funny thing is had my car not come with one, I would have bought one. Well, after a week of driving without it, it is staying off. There is no real noticeable difference in wind noise, I haven't experienced the low speed or high speed flutter that I sometimes get in our LS 400 or SE-R, and actually I think it does look better without it. And the improved view is great; after all, these sunroofs really aren't that large to begin with.

And, my paint is marked too where the deflector was, and although I have waxed and it did remove some of the marks, not all. Hopefully it will lift eventually. So, if you are thinking about it, go for it, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The "built-in" pop-up wind deflector actually does a pretty good job at redirecting the air, again, better than our LS 400 and the SE-R doesn't even have one!

Sooo, if anyone wants to buy mine off of me, you can have it...it's just taking up space.

srm
Old 06-14-2002, 08:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hello, I posted a thread 2 nights ago. When I removed my shield I noticed some indents in the clear coat and need help on how to get them out. Any help clear coat gurus??????
Old 06-14-2002, 08:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Non sliding sunroof

Originally posted by KaxMaxSEAE
Hey, can you do me a favor, and get on the expressway @70mph with someone in the back seat?

I'd like to know if his ears start bleeding and his eyes bulge.

(Seriously, if you don't get the flutter and pressure changes at high speeds, I'd take mine off... The deflector that is...)

...by the way...don't you mean "cars like it...9,999" (grin)...just messing with you, but that would be more accurate, right? Just out of idle curiosity, did anyone ever figure out how many manual AE's were built? Although I traded out of mine...I still wonder just how rare that car was. Although I'm happier with my 02, I do miss the "exclusivity" of the AE. It never failed to turn heads and get people talking. I do still get oogled in my 02, but not as obvious as with the AE. oh well, I'm rambling now...just popped this off to mess with you...but got carried away...srm
Old 06-14-2002, 11:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Non sliding sunroof

Originally posted by Maxmann
...by the way...don't you mean "cars like it...9,999" (grin)...just messing with you, but that would be more accurate, right?
Well, the only thing you can't get aftermarket is the 5 marketing hp, and the VLSD.

With all these .org non-AE members putting on AE body kits, pedals, engine covers, headlights and tails, sills, shifters and keys (but no floor mats ,) it's probably more than 11,000, but I digress...

Anyone wanna fess up on putting a 20th anniversay badge on their trunk?

Yeah, and I'd like to know 1) How many AE's were put together, and 2) how many aftermarket body kits they've sold...

(Damn. Next time I post, I'm gonna have to break out the scotch...)