5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

max lags, engine strains, and doesn't coast well

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2000, 04:39 PM

Hell I don't know how to explain it!!! I have a max 2g se automatic and notices that 1. engine sounds noisy when accelerating
2. feels like some type of resistance when driving with no pedal acceleration 3. I get bad gas mileage. It deccelerates, more than the norm when I let off the gas. And this is when the engine is hot or cold. Took it to Nissan and you guessed it, no problem. They say they checked brakes, engine diags they drove it and found no problems. Anyone experiencing this, or have any suggestions what I should do. I am thinking about having the transmission serviced. Car has 18,000 miles
Old 12-06-2000, 05:20 PM

I can here the drone of the engine when accelerating in my auto. I think it is part of the car. Sounds like it has an engine, more so than a, say, Honda, or any other import V6 I have driven.

Does yours sound like something is broken?
Old 12-06-2000, 05:26 PM

Check the gas that you are using... I experienced the same problems when I filled up with Shell gas.. (i know I posted about this many times, but it might help solve the prob.) Engine sounded like it was gonna die, and had a prob. going up hill.. as soon as I put in another brand, everything went back to normal...

Try filling up with another brand of gas, and see if the problem persists...

Originally posted by mdeal
I can here the drone of the engine when accelerating in my auto. I think it is part of the car. Sounds like it has an engine, more so than a, say, Honda, or any other import V6 I have driven.

Does yours sound like something is broken?
Old 12-06-2000, 08:04 PM
maxine

I have noticed some quick deceleration and acceleration when I lift off or press the gas. Yes, I'm being very soft about it. Almost like surging, except that is too harsh of a description. We have less than 1k on the car and I had the service guy drive it. He thinks it's okay, but it was hard to tell since the road we were on was kinda bumpy. I did drive another max2k and I think it did the same thing. This car just has a way bigger engine than my 7 year old Saturn SL1.

Old 12-06-2000, 08:35 PM

I experienced the same thing coming off an '85 buick... the pedals here are MUCH more sensitive than in older cars,... and the brake can even be counter-intuitive.. (you don't feel the resistive force until your about an 1/8th to a 1/4th of the way down.. and that seems troubling at first.

Check the floor mats (seriously), and adjusting your seats may help you increase control over the rate at which you depress the pedals..

It takes time, and while the slowing down rapidly part is debatable, there is no question about quick accelerations.. It's what your Maxima was designed for...

Originally posted by maxine
I have noticed some quick deceleration and acceleration when I lift off or press the gas. Yes, I'm being very soft about it. Almost like surging, except that is too harsh of a description. We have less than 1k on the car and I had the service guy drive it. He thinks it's okay, but it was hard to tell since the road we were on was kinda bumpy. I did drive another max2k and I think it did the same thing. This car just has a way bigger engine than my 7 year old Saturn SL1.
Old 12-06-2000, 08:52 PM
maxine

I don't mean that it accelerates rapidly. Of course it does. That's one of the reasons I bought it. I'm referring to a phenomenon that occurs during the first fraction of a second if I touch the gas pedal or take my foot off it. BTW I have a manual tranny. I have been trying to concentrate on being even more gentle....

Old 12-06-2000, 09:53 PM

Its a Problem that all MAX's have!!!!!!!!

Its been documented too ... Has something to do with the VARIABLE INTAKE and the Oxygen sensor!!!!

It Cuts gas when it "believes" the car is not getting enough AIR!!!!!

Its some dumb *** program to help prolong the life of the Intake and stuff!!

Do a Search ... It's been mentioned here before!!!!

Old 12-07-2000, 07:30 AM

Re: Its a Problem that all MAX's have!!!!!!!!

I believe it's more commonly known as the "fuel cut problem"..

It's been mentioned MANY times before...

Originally posted by Empz
Its been documented too ... Has something to do with the VARIABLE INTAKE and the Oxygen sensor!!!!

It Cuts gas when it "believes" the car is not getting enough AIR!!!!!

Its some dumb *** program to help prolong the life of the Intake and stuff!!

Do a Search ... It's been mentioned here before!!!!