6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

04 Maxima speaker upgrade question?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 09:53 AM

04 Maxima speaker upgrade question?????

I would like to upgrade the speakers in the Max [no i don't want a boom box on wheels] just want to know if the stock speakers are good quality? I would like to replace the stock ones with a good after market speaker, any ideas??The stock system is ok , but not great in my opinion..I dont want to replace the radio, just hoping to get a lot better sound by just the speakers Thanks
Old 05-26-2004, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by dbvettez06
I would like to upgrade the speakers in the Max [no i don't want a boom box on wheels] just want to know if the stock speakers are good quality? I would like to replace the stock ones with a good after market speaker, any ideas??The stock system is ok , but not great in my opinion..I dont want to replace the radio, just hoping to get a lot better sound by just the speakers Thanks
depends on wether you have the bose system or not. in my opinion, both systems are decent for stock systems. the problem your gonna run into when upgrading is that the stock speakers are 2 ohm speakers. and i've yet to run across any aftermarket 2ohm speakers. your best bet is going to be to purchase a 4 channel amp maybe say 100x4 would be good power and replace the stock with some good quality speakers, like mb quart, focal, diamond audio. that setup would sound amazing then throw in a quality sub for your low frequencies. i recommend the solobaric or jlw6 be sure and give these enough power to do their job though. then get like a preamp or eq or crossover, so that you can tune and tweek your musiq to your liking while going down the road. this is probably way more than you asked for, but it's here if you need it. if you need any help putting it in just come on down to beaufort.

[/IMG]http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/568000-568999/568365_13_full.jpg[/img]
Old 05-26-2004, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by maxmale
depends on wether you have the bose system or not. in my opinion, both systems are decent for stock systems. the problem your gonna run into when upgrading is that the stock speakers are 2 ohm speakers. and i've yet to run across any aftermarket 2ohm speakers. your best bet is going to be to purchase a 4 channel amp maybe say 100x4 would be good power and replace the stock with some good quality speakers, like mb quart, focal, diamond audio. that setup would sound amazing then throw in a quality sub for your low frequencies. i recommend the solobaric or jlw6 be sure and give these enough power to do their job though. then get like a preamp or eq or crossover, so that you can tune and tweek your musiq to your liking while going down the road. this is probably way more than you asked for, but it's here if you need it. if you need any help putting it in just come on down to beaufort.

[/IMG]http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/568000-568999/568365_13_full.jpg[/img]
I'd like to do the same. Do you need anything to integrate the amp with the head unit or is it just standard RCA connections?

Also, what do you think of Rockford Fosgate Amps?
Old 05-27-2004, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by SHIFT_NY
I'd like to do the same. Do you need anything to integrate the amp with the head unit or is it just standard RCA connections?

Also, what do you think of Rockford Fosgate Amps?

I don't think the stock headunit has RCA outs.....so make sure you get an amp that supports speaker level inputs or your will need an extra adapter
Old 05-27-2004, 06:33 AM

A couple more questions on this subject:

1) Is the stock amp (non-bose) a 4 channel unit? If 4 channel how are the channels split to the 8 speakers?

2) Anyone know the speaker physical dimensions? If I'm going to replace them I want to only mess with the door panels as little as possible.

3) Do you think replacing the tweeters in the A-pillars would make much difference in sound quality? I was thinking of just running those off the stock amp and replacing the door and rear deck speakers with a 2 channel amp to the deck and a 4 to the doors.