6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Nitrous Anyone?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 06:10 AM

Nitrous Anyone?!

I've been thinking about different possible performance upgrades. Theres not a whole lot of options out there right now for the 04. The options that do exist, cold air intake, performance chip, new exhaust...etc, they all cost a ton of money and dont promise a very big return on performance to justify the price....at least in my opinion. So, this leads to my question, has anyone considered or already installed nitrous oxide in their 04 Max? I have never used it before so I definitely dont claim to know much about it. But, from what I do know, it theoretically promises the best bang for your buck, at least until someone makes a turbo for the 04. I'd love to hear others thoughts or ideas on this.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:56 AM
andymax95

already looking into a dry kit, keep you posted

Old 06-10-2004, 03:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by andymax95
already looking into a dry kit, keep you posted
What's a dry kit?
Old 06-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Banned

A dry nitrous system uses the stock fuel injectors to supply the additional fuel needed to keep the engine from running lean on nitrous. A wet system uses a fogger nozzle to inject the fuel in the same place as the nitrous. Both dry and wet systems have there ups and downs, but it seems that a dry system and safer for a 125hp or less, and a wet is safer for 150hp+. Downsides of a dry kit being you can't really tune the fuel, but you don't have to worry about spraying nitrous with out fuel because of the way a dry kit is designed, if there is nitrous the additional fuel IS flowing. No worrying about malfunctioning fuel solenoids etc. The trick to getting the dry system to be 100% safe is setting it up properly

that was copy and paste from internet
Old 06-10-2004, 06:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by VTmaximaVT
A dry nitrous system uses the stock fuel injectors to supply the additional fuel needed to keep the engine from running lean on nitrous. A wet system uses a fogger nozzle to inject the fuel in the same place as the nitrous. Both dry and wet systems have there ups and downs, but it seems that a dry system and safer for a 125hp or less, and a wet is safer for 150hp+. Downsides of a dry kit being you can't really tune the fuel, but you don't have to worry about spraying nitrous with out fuel because of the way a dry kit is designed, if there is nitrous the additional fuel IS flowing. No worrying about malfunctioning fuel solenoids etc. The trick to getting the dry system to be 100% safe is setting it up properly

that was copy and paste from internet
Thanks for the schooling VTmaximaVT. I have learned a lot from this board. I would love to put nitrous on my car but would have to know it's safe. I have also heard that nitrous will wear on your car and possibly tear stuff up? Any truth to this? If it is true, the risk is not worth the reward to me.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:38 PM

NOS??...what are we modding lil honda civics..these are flagship luxury cars..i dont get u people...whats next neon maybe some hello kitty graphics?
Old 06-10-2004, 07:48 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by 04blackse
whats next neon maybe some hello kitty graphics?
Certainly if you're into that sort of thing.

There is absolutly nothing wrong with putting nitrous or any other performance mod on these cars.

As for which kit to use, don't even attempt to use a dry kit because the VQ35 uses the wrong kind of fuel system to do so. The easiest kit is the Zex wet kit because most of it is self contained. If you want to know more then visit the appropriate section.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:18 PM

You folks left something in the washing machine; a wet blanket. And I am that wet blanket.

What guarantee do we have that the nitrous system will not affect the octane of the gas? The '04 Maxima computerized fuel system is VERY sensitive to octane, but is VERY SLOW to adjust for CHANGES in octane.

What guarantee do we have this will not affect the warranty?

In order to make the car go faster than it normally does, we are automatically placing more force/stress on parts than the designers and engineers intended.

Since when did turning sporty-looking near-luxury family sedans into race cars become such an obsession?

Maybe I can buy me a $300,000 Rolls-Royce, change to 22" wheels and 35 profile tires, lower it, and add a turbocharger and some neat decals . . .
Old 06-11-2004, 03:49 AM
VQ Wizard

I throw wet blankets in the dryer.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:02 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
You folks left something in the washing machine; a wet blanket. And I am that wet blanket.
so I throw you in the dryer

What guarantee do we have that the nitrous system will not affect the octane of the gas? The '04 Maxima computerized fuel system is VERY sensitive to octane, but is VERY SLOW to adjust for CHANGES in octane.
I have no answer for this lol.

What guarantee do we have this will not affect the warranty?.
This doesn't take rocket science to figure out...

In order to make the car go faster than it normally does, we are automatically placing more force/stress on parts than the designers and engineers intended.
Wow you have it all figured out, I think you should write an article and let everyone know this ingenius info you figured out.

Since when did turning sporty-looking near-luxury family sedans into race cars become such an obsession?
I think of it as more of a hobby than an "obsession"

Maybe I can buy me a $300,000 Rolls-Royce, change to 22" wheels and 35 profile tires, lower it, and add a turbocharger and some neat decals . . .
You go ahead and do that big baller
Old 06-11-2004, 04:04 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by 04blackse
NOS??...what are we modding lil honda civics..these are flagship luxury cars..i dont get u people...whats next neon maybe some hello kitty graphics?
and you have watched too much fast and the furious.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:13 AM
andymax95

a dry system on the vq35 from what I've read/heard is a b*tch cause there is no fule return line.

Also why hate on others mods. To each his own.

Old 06-11-2004, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by blubyu2k2
so I throw you in the dryer

I have no answer for this lol.

This doesn't take rocket science to figure out...

Wow you have it all figured out, I think you should write an article and let everyone know this ingenius info you figured out.

I think of it as more of a hobby than an "obsession"

You go ahead and do that big baller
I'm sure lightonthehill can well defend himself, and the class to not need to - but I have to agree with him - a 6G Max is really a strange platform and arguably a poor choice to apply a NOX system.

If you disagree, do so with some dignity. I think your sarcastic barbs are as out of place in this forum as a Maxima with inherently heavy torque steer will be on the road when you inject the N2O.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:30 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by SHIFT_NY
I'm sure lightonthehill can well defend himself, and the class to not need to - but I have to agree with him - a 6G Max is really a strange platform and arguably a poor choice to apply a NOX system.

If you disagree, do so with some dignity. I think your sarcastic barbs are as out of place in this forum as a Maxima with inherently heavy torque steer will be on the road when you inject the N2O.
What will he defend? He gave his opinion which is captain obvious and I gave mine. I have plenty of class but if you have no interest or experience on a subject than why even post? My sarcastic barbs? ok...as for torque steer if you do some research and were interested in modding your Maxima you would find the ways to eliminate torque steer easily. Its very simple and yes I have experience and had a nitrous system installed on my Maxima. I guess some of the older crowd on here would stereotype as immature and irresponsible because I have used nitrous on my family "almost luxury" sedan.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:36 AM

If you guys are worried about voiding your warranty then dont use nitrous, its as simple as that. But for those of us who are interested in trying new things and wanna have some fun with their car, I'd love to hear from you. Also, what you guys have to understand is nitrous is NOT dangerous. The only time it ever damages an engine is after its either been installed incorrectly or not used properly. As for those of you who say "why would anyone want to put nitrous in a family luxury sedan?", my response would be, because I want more performance & because as far as I know, no one has done it yet. What guy doesn't want more performance out of their car?
Old 06-11-2004, 04:52 AM

Please, don't get me started (too late)...

What will he defend? He gave his opinion which is captain obvious and I gave mine. I have plenty of class...
Why are you being so defensive? My comment was on his presence of class, not your lack of class. So since it's so "captain obvious" to you it should be to the rest of the world as well - and to those who it is not are beneath you?

My sarcastic barbs? ok...as for torque steer if you do some research and were interested in modding your Maxima you would find the ways to eliminate torque steer easily. Its very simple and yes I have experience and had a nitrous system installed on my Maxima.
The mod was the application of NOS, nowhere did anyone include eliminating Tq steer while at the same time increasing HP by a likely 50+ points. BTW, how do you know that your tq steer solutions will still succeed with the HP increase?

I guess some of the older crowd on here would stereotype as immature and irresponsible because I have used nitrous on my family "almost luxury" sedan.
No, as I said, it just seems like a strange platform to apply a NOS system. In fact the thought of it being immature or irresponsible never crossed my mind. But you, my young friend, have obviously given the thought some consideration.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:53 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by clayman88
If you guys are worried about voiding your warranty then dont use nitrous, its as simple as that. But for those of us who are interested in trying new things and wanna have some fun with their car, I'd love to hear from you. Also, what you guys have to understand is nitrous is NOT dangerous. The only time it ever damages an engine is after its either been installed incorrectly or not used properly. As for those of you who say "why would anyone want to put nitrous in a family luxury sedan?", my response would be, because I want more performance & because as far as I know, no one has done it yet. What guy doesn't want more performance out of their car?
I'm not a nitrous guru as much as SR20DEN and Jime on this forum but I learned a little while owning a system. I know for a fact that a wet system is much easier to use on the 02-04 Maximas bc of the returnless fuel system. The kits are developed so much better and when run within specs there isn't much harm that can be done. With a wet kit a 75 hp shot or nitrous is perfectly safe to run on the stock fuel pump. I ran mine up to 100 before it started leaning out enough to become a little "unsafe" for reliability. As far as spark plugs 1 step colder copper is a good idea for anything beyond a 75 shot but its not totally necessary unless you plan to run extreme amounts of nitrous. This is just a start but if you plan to go with a nitrous system I would recommend the NX kit that 80% of the guys on this forum use. Hope this helps get you started...and check the nitrous forums for more information.

Matt
Old 06-11-2004, 05:02 AM
Blu
the tits

Please, don't get me started (too late)...

Why are you being so defensive? My comment was on his presence of class, not your lack of class. So since it's so "captain obvious" to you it should be to the rest of the world as well - and to those who it is not are beneath you?
My lack of class...geez people you need to get over yourself and realize this is the "internet". I am not defensive at all I am actually having a little fun with this bc a few of you are so quick to strike back with "class".

The mod was the application of NOS, nowhere did anyone include eliminating Tq steer while at the same time increasing HP by a likely 50+ points. BTW, how do you know that your tq steer solutions will still succeed with the HP increase?
Its referred to as nitrous to most that have an idea. NOS is a movie term that has grown rapidly after the fast and the furious. Guys a quick hint NOS is a brand name, and is like calling all blue jeans LEVIS. As far as me "knowing" I increased my HP 100+ at the wheels and had less torque steer than I did stock, so I have no arguement here bc I simply KNOW bc I've done it with my own car.

No, as I said, it just seems like a strange platform to apply a NOS system. In fact the thought of it being immature or irresponsible never crossed my mind. But you, my young friend, have obviously given the thought some consideration.
Well thats your opinion but you guys get your panties in a wad when someone disagrees. Its nitrous not NOS just if you didn't catch that in the last reply. I'm glad I have given you more ideas
Old 06-11-2004, 05:30 AM

My lack of class...geez people you need to get over yourself and realize this is the "internet". I am not defensive at all I am actually having a little fun with this bc a few of you are so quick to strike back with "class".

Its referred to as nitrous to most that have an idea. NOS is a movie term that has grown rapidly after the fast and the furious. Guys a quick hint NOS is a brand name, and is like calling all blue jeans LEVIS. As far as me "knowing" I increased my HP 100+ at the wheels and had less torque steer than I did stock, so I have no arguement here bc I simply KNOW bc I've done it with my own car.

Well thats your opinion but you guys get your panties in a wad when someone disagrees. Its nitrous not NOS just if you didn't catch that in the last reply. I'm glad I have given you more ideas
I'm not sure how your application of NITROUS OXIDE and elimination of torque steer to an '02 Maxima applies to an '04. It's a new platform: new physics, new quirks.

Sorry to offend you by referring to the horsepower boosting product as NOS.
I'm sure you often refer to your desktop computer as a PC, right? FYI, that's IBM's name for it, IT'S A BRAND NAME!!! -- But you were probably in diapers when the first IBM PC was released, so I can understand your ignorance of the origin of the term.

Regardless, since you're doing no more than defending yourself / your point of view and picking on my choice of words instead of discussing the subject matter and have nothing of value to say, I'll stop here. :X
Old 06-11-2004, 05:40 AM

Ok, now that we've gotten all of this antagonism out of our systems...
I have to admit though, you guys are pretty entertaining.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:43 AM
Blu
the tits

I'm not sure how your application of NITROUS OXIDE and elimination of torque steer to an '02 Maxima applies to an '04. It's a new platform: new physics, new quirks.
But the suspension works the same as a spring/strut combo which can be changed to a more agressive setup to almost eliminate torque steer. It doesn't matter what kind of make/model/year the car is, it all works together.

Sorry to offend you by referring to the horsepower boosting product as NOS.
Offend me? on the internet? umm no lol...

I'm sure you often refer to your desktop computer as a PC, right? FYI, that's IBM's name for it, IT'S A BRAND NAME!!! -- But you were probably in diapers when the first IBM PC was released, so I can understand your ignorance of the origin of the term.
Sounds like you have chose something that has nothing to do with this topic and try and attack me with it bc of my age and your thoughts on my knowledge. It seems you're assuming I think something so you can use my "age" to attack me...Where did all this "class" go

Regardless, since you're doing no more than defending yourself / your point of view and picking on my choice of words instead of discussing the subject matter and have nothing of value to say, I'll stop here. :X
Have a nice day
Old 06-11-2004, 05:44 AM
KC's FINEST

Why is it that every thread with problems has something to do with a 5th gen owner? Why even come into 6th gen discussion?? Were just a bunch of old lame a$$es with big fancy cars right?? Heh...
Old 06-11-2004, 05:53 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
Why is it that every thread with problems has something to do with a 5th gen owner? Why even come into 6th gen discussion?? Were just a bunch of old lame a$$es with big fancy cars right?? Heh...
All 5th gen owners are evil and trouble makers.

I am giving my opinions on the subject and actually have a little knowledge to try and help this guy.

If you say so...

Old 06-11-2004, 06:07 AM
andymax95

what's up with all you old lame a*s's. I'm putting some nitrious in my 6th gen and could really give a f*ck less on what you guys have to say. Everyone here is going to ripe up this thread in one way or another. So I'd like to end it with a f*ck you and have a nice day.

For all you haters, take a binger and just chill, there isn't enough time in life to hate on something that doesn't involve you.

Old 06-11-2004, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by andymax95
what's up with all you old lame a*s's. I'm putting some nitrious in my 6th gen and could really give a f*ck less on what you guys have to say. Everyone here is going to ripe up this thread in one way or another. So I'd like to end it with a f*ck you and have a nice day.

For all you haters, take a binger and just chill, there isn't enough time in life to hate on something that doesn't involve you.
Now *that* is some quality below-the-radar ultra-dry sarcasm. Nice job!

And a big wet F.U. right back at ya!
Old 06-11-2004, 06:15 AM
wat

Nitrous on a 6th gen = explosion. It can not be done.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by look2me40
Nitrous on a 6th gen = explosion. It can not be done.
Ever tried it? Oh and by the way, I would be very carefull with saying it cant be done...we are frickin' Americans, man! We put a man on the moon, we beat the Russians in Olympic Hockey. What more can you ask for?! Be carefull when you use words like that. Holla!

Old 06-11-2004, 06:37 AM
andymax95

[QUOTE=look2me40]Nitrous on a 6th gen = explosion. It can not be done.[/QUote

what do you know that other's don't

Old 06-11-2004, 06:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I knew A guy in high school who fixed up a Ford Pinto....I thought him to be a Jack-*** for his choice of car's , but when he crused around on Saturday night with his best girl by his side, I am sure he felt like A king....The point Im getting to is we are all different , and this is good,for it allows us all to be king for a day...
Old 06-11-2004, 07:32 AM
wat

[QUOTE=andymax95]
Nitrous on a 6th gen = explosion. It can not be done.[/QUote

what do you know that other's don't

I know it is impossible. There is no way to get the gas tank out in order to drill the holes for the jets.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:38 AM

I say go for it - it's your ride brother. Best of luck with it and I would like to hear any details on how you manage to get it done.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:58 AM

I know it is impossible. There is no way to get the gas tank out in order to drill the holes for the jets.
Anything can be done.