6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

What do you hate most about...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 12:10 AM

The turning radius is a dagger,, but then again it is a big car,, I also hate the orange LED's thats for sure,, other then that i don't have to many other problems with the car...
Old 10-28-2006, 06:45 AM

Does anyone else have this problem? Whenever I hit a bump in the road, it feels or sounds like the shocks/struts are bad. The car just doesn't seem to soak up the bumps like I think it should. I thought it may have been because of the optional chrome wheels mine is equipped with, or even because the wheels are 18".
Old 11-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cassette Deck

I use mine to connect my Zen MP3 player, so I appreciate having one.

The paint on the car seems a little thin, though. DaimlerChrysler seems to have the best paint on the market.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I hate that the car feel likes is going to fall apart over every bump. It seems like its just not solid. My 99 SE that was a nice car.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:53 AM

big dave, that was my biggest problem with the car...and why i got rid of it. I realize I had an SE and it was sporty, but it shouldnt feel like my car was gonna break over any bump I hit. Thats where someone like lexus or even honda, and VW can have tight, sporty suspension, but dont have the car ride completely so rough. Those cars ride very solid and chatter is basically not there at all. Thats exactly what nissan needs to work on..make a sporty sedan that doesnt ride so damn rough.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:35 AM

Turning radius is my only significant complaint. I personally didn't like the grille which is why I have an aftermarket grille. I'm also not too crazy about the fogs being part of the headlight assembly and the turning lights don't look exactly right down there, but I'm just being picky.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dislikes - Spirited Bronze '05 SE

- Orange displays
- Turning radius
- Turn signals not visible/loud enough, especially with the stereo playing
- Creaking dash (not as bad as when it was new) otherwise no unusual noises (my '99 acura tl was a rattle factory)
- Unlighted steering wheel controls (added on the '06)
- Cheapish looking plastics
- I like the looks of the wheels/tires but they pound over ruts/bumps
- Console design in general/rattles i don't like the removable "bin"
- Carpet not dense enough - kind of cheap looking
- Lack of side running lights but then you see these on so many cars now, including the Chevy Metro!

This sounds like a lot but there are far more "likes"
I love the looks of it/size/color, engine/performanace/handling, etc etc. - it's been very reliable too.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

- I cringe everytime I hit a bump aswell and have noticed the struts ( 60K) are making awful noises. Perhaps aftermarket shocks and struts would solve the problem?

- actuator problem in the front vents. Nissan tech haven't been able to resolve it. Entire dash needs to be removed to "hopefully" fix the problem. I'm sure the creaks with start

- Crappy paint. I drive on the highway and need to constantly do touch-ups. The touch up paint DOES NOT match the car paint.

- Runing lights have been replaced (under warranty) 4 times. I now have to buy the next set although per Nissan, they will die prior to the 1 year guarentee so it will be warranty.

- I have a 4 seat SE, can't put a seat down (or a I too useless to figure it out?)

- Wind noise.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:42 PM
mixshows

ucan put it down, i hit the breaks really hard once and the back seat folded down, so i found that out by mistake.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

the handling is pretty bad....i just switched from an 04 solara and i had 17 with low profile and i thought the handling was bad...i expected more from the maxima...the power is great but sometimes i feel like i am in a boat when i am bustin out on the freeway
Old 11-13-2006, 03:18 PM
cim

Turning radius for sure! To follow-up on a previous post on handling... she does feel a little bit boaty but in a way I like that about bigger cars. I always had small cars so getting the bigger Maxima was a plus for me in that department. I can't say the same though about feeling like the car is going to fall apart. Mine just doesn't behave that way.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:19 PM

The Maxima is a GOOD car for the money and I would recommend it to any prospective buyers.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:38 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Hands down, the fact that the car is FWD.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by JiuJitsuThug
The Maxima is a GOOD car for the money and I would recommend it to any prospective buyers.
I'm contemplating buying a used 2004 Maxima as it fits my budget. I just took it out for a test drive and at highway speeds the road noise is sort of high. I don't mind the noise, but I'm hoping it's not a "bad" noise. There was no steering wheel vibration or side to side movement (shimmy, right?), so that is a good thing.

There are slight squeaks in the cabin that I can't quite figure out yet, though I only drove the car for 20 min. I don't mind the squeaks though.

My biggest concern is with the road noise. I've read it can be the defective Eagle RSA's, or the axle, or the strut. I rule out strut because over bumps the car sounds fine (no thumping noises). With respect to tires, I figure I will just buy a different brand of tires when these ones wear out/give out on me. When braking the car seemed fine (no vibrations).

What could the road noise be? At low speeds it's not noticeable but the more you accelerate the greater the noise gets. No vibrations in my short test drive though.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:47 PM

Forgot to ask another question.

I'm reading a lot of complaints about the poor/defective Eagle tires, so would simply switching tires to another brand solve the problem?

What I don't understand is people having changed the Eagle RSA's 2, 3, or 4 times and encounter the same problem over and over again. Why not simply buy a different brand of tires?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:03 PM

I'd have to say the fact that HID's were standard equipment for the 02-03's and options for the 6th gen. Unfortunately for me I didn't have the HID's when I bought the car. I did buy a set of Xenon headlights from an SL on e-bay, but need to know if the harnesses, or connectors need to be changed in order for them to work, I would hate to short something out.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:15 PM

The only thing that really bothers me on the Maxima is the AM station in the FM channels
Old 11-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

At this time i would have to the I hate the fact that my front end is now smashed in, my wife just hit an 06, jaguar...the uy was cool about it though
Old 11-22-2006, 12:38 PM
wsu

three quibbles

I have three quibbles-nothing major: 1. I don't like the rounded shape of the front dash as it wraps around the front of the cabin under the front window. 2. I wish the dashboard was flat so that papers would rest on it. 3. The fuax suede material is hard to clean and it's wearing on the driver side door where my knee often rests against it.