6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Technosquare ecu DYNO....

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by trance.addict
What does Air to Fuel ratio mean? Also, The benefits of getting this flash is hp gains, right? Anything else? Thanks in advance.
Wikipedia "Air-fuel ratio (AFR) is the mass ratio of air to fuel present during combustion. When all the fuel is combined with all the free oxygen within a vehicle's combustion chamber, the mixture is chemically balanced and this A/F is called the stoichiometric mixture.

A stoichiometric mixture is the working point that modern engine management systems employing fuel injection attempt to achieve in light load cruise situations. For gasoline fuel, the stoichiometric air/fuel mixture is approximately 14.7 times the mass of air to fuel. Any mixture less than 14.7 to 1 is considered to be a rich mixture, any more than 14.7 to 1 is a lean mixture."

Maximum power is acheived when you have a slighly rich A/F, somewhere between 12.0 - 14.0.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:01 PM
briancopeland

Well, I got my ECU back from TS today. Won't be able to put it in until Saturday afternoon. I was curious and perhaps someone here knows the answer. Will there be ever be ANY reason for me to reset my ECU again or does the TS programming negate the need for this? I'm tired of stomping on my gas pedal for two minutes everytime I leave the house ;-)

Old 03-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Newbie just Registered

You won't have any reason to reset it, but it will still learn.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:23 PM
briancopeland

Originally Posted by RHMax
You won't have any reason to reset it, but it will still learn.
I hope it learns to mind its OFB!!! Seriously, what will it do with this "knowledge" of my driving habits? I assume you mean that it won't mess with my A/F ratio any longer, etc.

20.3 hours and counting to the TS install. I haven't been this excited since I was around 5 on Christmas eve

Old 03-09-2007, 04:06 PM
dot dot dot ...

Don't worry, it will be just fine. Install it and take it to the new rev limit.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:10 PM
briancopeland

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Don't worry, it will be just fine. Install it and take it to the new rev limit.
WILL DO, my friend

Old 03-09-2007, 05:19 PM

The rev limit will still be 6600 unless you use manumatic and "hold" the shifter down to extend the RPM to the TS redline of 7100...or so I've heard from numerous people. Let us know how it goes
Old 03-09-2007, 06:15 PM
briancopeland

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
The rev limit will still be 6600 unless you use manumatic and "hold" the shifter down to extend the RPM to the TS redline of 7100...or so I've heard from numerous people. Let us know how it goes
Yeah, what I typically do is put it in "manumatic" mode and it will even still change gears for me, but just not until it hits the rev limiter vs. the 6600 in automatic mode. Why the the car would put itself in 5th gear going 35 mph in automatic mode is beyond me.
I started shifting manually after I got my first mods.
I would have gotten a 6spd if my wife could drive it, but oh well. Of couse, if my wife never had to drive it (or clients ride in it) I would have bought an EVO or STI or perhaps a 350Z instead (don't tell anybody here on the forum - sshhh).

Old 03-10-2007, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by briancopeland
I would have gotten a 6spd if my wife could drive it, but oh well. Of couse, if my wife never had to drive it (or clients ride in it) .
You should have taught ur wife to drive stick, and then you could`have gotten the 6 speed. I taught my kids how to drive with my 6 speed max, and they even passed their driving test on the first try, in my 6 speed max!!
Old 03-10-2007, 10:37 AM
.org extraordinaire

Yeah, what I typically do is put it in "manumatic" mode and it will even still change gears for me, but just not until it hits the rev limiter vs. the 6600 in automatic mode. Why the the car would put itself in 5th gear going 35 mph in automatic mode is beyond me.
I started shifting manually after I got my first mods.
I would have gotten a 6spd if my wife could drive it, but oh well. Of couse, if my wife never had to drive it (or clients ride in it) I would have bought an EVO or STI or perhaps a 350Z instead (don't tell anybody here on the forum - sshhh).
So is it installed?

JESUS H CHRIST SON!! SPIT IT OUT
Old 03-10-2007, 02:31 PM

tell tell tell
Old 03-10-2007, 04:18 PM
briancopeland

Just got home. Forgive me for being out driving my Maxima The install of the new ECU went great. Recall, I actually sent a loaner from Nissan Warranty out to TS to flash. My friend at the Nissan dealer made the swap and the changes in the computer to make the different ECU work in my car. I was nervous about it, but it took him 10 seconds.

Once he had it in he hooked up his computer to my Maxima and he could see how the new program was working. The first thing that he noticed is that it was running idling at 800 (a bit higher) and was running very lean (130 vs. 100 ??? units). He made sure it wasn't throwing any codes, disconnected his computer and we took it for a ride.

I have an automatic, so keep this in mind. Even in manumatic mode the car will shift up as it hits near redline. The TS program bumps the rev limiter up 500 (I believe that's how much). However, my car still seems to be shifting at the old rev mark, so I'm not sure that bumping the rev limiter up gives me anything with an automatic. That all said, when I romped on the gas I experienced something a bit like turbo lag. It took as split second to come to life, but when I hit 3000 rpm it started pulling very hard. The biggest thing I felt was how hard this car is pulling in 2nd and 3rd gear. It's very noticeable. Especially, when downshifting into these gears.

We got on the highway, but there was a good bit of traffic, so I didn't get to test the removal of the top-end limiter (may never get too here in Atlanta), The throttle is supposed never fully open in the stock program (80% according to TS), but will now supposedly open to 100% when the gas is fully depressed. I have a CAI and Y-pipe on my car and they roar like the devil when the gas is fully depressed. I got off the highway and took it down a hidden twisty where I have been testing cars since I was 16 (24 years). I took the opportunity to show my friend what the Progress springs and KYB struts had done to my handling. He was not only impressed, but said I scared the $HIT out of him (this is a guy who races a 240 with a JDM GTR engine in it!) Finally, I thanked him and dropped his 250lb a-s-s of at the dealership, so I could test further on my own.

This car is F-A-S-T. Maximas have always been "quick" and stock this car was no different. The two fastest cars I've owned were a '76 Firebird with a 455 big block and a '95 M3 with a 240 HP inline 6. My Maxima is now in the same class as these cars! It's not that fast off of the line, but man it PULLS and gets up to 110 like nobody's business. It felt like I was driving a 911 on the highway. I really wish it were a 6 spd to test it out more, but I really couldn't be happier with this car right now. I want to go sleep in it tonight!!!

I thought that I was done mod'ing it for a little while, but I have GOT to put on that Cattman catback, UD pulley, and the R-Tune camshafts and put this puppy on the dyno asap. I'm going to go pawn a guitar or something this month to come up with the money!

Also, I removed the 3.5 SL off of my trunk and put the "Nismo" badge on it. Put the side ones on the doors too. They look really good and this car is definitely worthy of them! I've got an AT grill and 07 spoiler on order. When I get those two items on in a week, I'll post some pictures for you all.

Finally, I really want to know how the APEXi NEO works with the TS ECU. There's no way I'm pulling my ECU out and sending it back to TS for fine tuning. I want to do it myself. For those of you that are in the process of making this mod, please let me know how it works out. I'll put the $300 for the NEO on my credit card if it can help me get this bad boy tuned to perfection.

Sorry for the L-O-N-G-A-S-S post, but you all wanted to know! I'm sure I'll have some more info for you as I continue to drive it over the next week or so. Message me offline if you have any questions. Thanks!!!

Old 03-10-2007, 04:58 PM
dot dot dot ...

You will need a way to monitor afr in order to start tuning with the NEO. The VAFCII still has more 'tuning points' 24 vs 16.

Try holding the shifter so it holds the gear longer. (7100)
Old 03-10-2007, 05:23 PM

I noticed the oppostite Brian, that the car pulled so well off the line, that u have to feather the throttle to allow the tires to grip. I also have lightweight rims, which helps my hole shot. I understand that this program has better low end torque because Nissan detuned the low end on all front wheel drive Nissans to reduce torque steer.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:47 PM

R-Tune camshafts:::: can some one explainme what is this mod???
Old 03-10-2007, 05:56 PM
briancopeland

Originally Posted by SEGirl
R-Tune camshafts:::: can some one explainme what is this mod???
Start Here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camshaft

Nissan Altima Nismo Performance R-Tune Camshaft Set

Fits VQ35
Computer Designed for a 262° duration, and .426" lift
Increases horsepower over wide rev range
Maintains low-end torque while increasing mid-range and top-end power
Computer-designed for accurate lift and duration
Ground from billet cores
No other adjustments required of ECU or engine
R-Tune components are intended for off-road applications only
Installation of R-Tune components could void factory warranty

Part# 13020-RNZ35

MSRP: $1600.00
OUR PRICE! $1232.00

Old 03-10-2007, 05:58 PM
briancopeland

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I noticed the oppostite Brian, that the car pulled so well off the line, that u have to feather the throttle to allow the tires to grip. I also have lightweight rims, which helps my hole shot. I understand that this program has better low end torque because Nissan detuned the low end on all front wheel drive Nissans to reduce torque steer.
Perhaps I'm engaging the Traction Conrol with my starts. That would explain the "turbo lag" effect. I'll practice "feathering" it a bit instead of just romping on the gas pedal.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:00 PM
briancopeland

You will need a way to monitor afr in order to start tuning with the NEO. The VAFCII still has more 'tuning points' 24 vs 16.)
Can you provide a link? Thanks!

Try holding the shifter so it holds the gear longer. (7100)
??? Like I said the manumatic will upshift automatically when it approaches the redline. How do I hold it? (No smart comments ANYONE!)

Old 03-10-2007, 08:43 PM

Ive never been on this site alot, but since ive finally got a career going i can now mod my car. Ive got an injen intake and the greddy sp2 exhaust. I live in cali, torrance and was wondering where i can get my car dyno'd. I havent seen any places around here. Can any one help me out?
Old 03-10-2007, 08:53 PM
briancopeland

Go here:

TECHNOSQUARE, Inc.
22521 S.Normandie Ave.,
Torrance, CA 90501

This is where my ECU was just flown across the country from Atlanta, GA this past week to be tuned by their "guesstimates" from remot. My advice: Swing by there and let them take car of your tuning needs in person. Are you for real??? I wish I could just "swing" by there!!!

Old 03-10-2007, 09:25 PM

hmmmmmmm so there is still an issue with the lean condition at idle...but does that really matter at idle? And the low end is sacrificed a little so that the more mid-top end can be achieved. I would assume that some sort of fuel control would fix the lean condition at idle and improve low-end? (I hope so )
Old 03-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Newbie just Registered

hmmmmmmm so there is still an issue with the lean condition at idle...but does that really matter at idle? And the low end is sacrificed a little so that the more mid-top end can be achieved. I would assume that some sort of fuel control would fix the lean condition at idle and improve low-end? (I hope so )
He had TCS on, that's why there was a lag.

Brian, did you get your A/F to TS too?
Old 03-10-2007, 10:33 PM

But the NEO would still improve idle and <3000k lean condition, correct?
Old 03-10-2007, 11:13 PM

Without the tracation control, you get full timing instead of retarded timing. Thats how the TCS works - it retards the timing to allow traction. And if you splash your tank (4-5 gallons per tankful) with 100 octane gas, you should get more power, since the timing is advanced more. Just be prepared to spend $4-7 per gallon.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:18 AM
Newbie just Registered

But the NEO would still improve idle and <3000k lean condition, correct?
You're confusing yourself.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:21 AM

After a little research, I think it might be worth it to wait to see if Greddy comes out with a harness (TBA on their site http://www.greddy.com/products/displ...SubCategory=47 ) to hook up to the Max. It would be way more adjustable as mods are added and it could custom tune your car without sending the ECU back and forth. In the end, the cost would about the same but you could permantly get rid of any lean spots as well as tune if anyone ever comes up with a turbo kit for this car.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:31 AM

........ I took the opportunity to show my friend what the Progress springs and KYB struts had done to my handling....
I thought you went with an HR spring setup. (Front only) Maybe I missed something.

........ This car is F-A-S-T. Maximas have always been "quick" and stock this car was no different.....It's not that fast off of the line, but man it PULLS and gets up to 110 like nobody's business.....
Oh yeah!! That's what I like to hear

........I thought that I was done mod'ing it for a little while, but I have GOT to put on that Cattman catback, UD pulley, and the R-Tune camshafts and put this puppy on the dyno asap..I've got an AT grill and 07 spoiler on order
Didn't you just get this car? Not complaining, only wish I could have done all of that so fast

Sorry for the L-O-N-G-A-S-S post, but you all wanted to know!........ Thanks!!!
Thank you Brian! Keep em coming.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:55 AM
briancopeland

Man you guys sure stay up late!!! Thanks for the early morning replies ;-)

Originally Posted by RHMax
He had TCS on, that's why there was a lag.
Brian, did you get your A/F to TS too?
I need to turn the TCS off (I'm going to repeat that to myself 100 times as punishment - duh). When TS programs the ECU, they use their A/F maps based on their knowlege of the mods you state you have. I think from my experience and other posts here, these maps are a bit lean, perhaps.

Originally Posted by Pronto
After a little research, I think it might be worth it to wait to see if Greddy comes out with a harness (TBA on their site http://www.greddy.com/products/displ...SubCategory=47 ) to hook up to the Max.
That computer looks SA-WEET! Please let everyone know when they announce their harness for the Max!

Originally Posted by Apollos2
I thought you went with an HR spring setup. (Front only) Maybe I missed something.
You did. Sorry. My signature contains all of my mods and even my future planned mods (which changes based on you all's feedback). I put Progress Springs and KYB struts in around 3 weeks ago. Love 'em!

Didn't you just get this car? Not complaining, only wish I could have done all of that so fast
I'm an obsessive, compulsive freak, I know. Fortunately, I'm 40 and no longer have to eat Ramen noodles due to severe brokeness (been there). My only limitations are not letting the Mrs. know how much I'm spending on these mods. I even sent TS a money order, so it wouldn't go on my credit card!

Thank you Brian! Keep em coming.
Thank you.

You guys probably all get to sleep 'til noon too!?! Enjoy the rest of the weekend. I'm going to go wash the Maxima and try launching with the TCS turned off!

Old 03-11-2007, 09:47 AM
.org extraordinaire

Start Here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camshaft

Nissan Altima Nismo Performance R-Tune Camshaft Set

Fits VQ35
Computer Designed for a 262° duration, and .426" lift
Increases horsepower over wide rev range
Maintains low-end torque while increasing mid-range and top-end power
Computer-designed for accurate lift and duration
Ground from billet cores
No other adjustments required of ECU or engine
R-Tune components are intended for off-road applications only
Installation of R-Tune components could void factory warranty

Part# 13020-RNZ35

MSRP: $1600.00
OUR PRICE! $1232.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...1105&rd=1&rd=1

I'm ordering a set in april, the isntall is a biatch, cause the engine has to come out.

Kamski
Old 03-11-2007, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
.........the engine has to come out....Kamski
I guess that can get expensive.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:45 AM
briancopeland

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
I'm ordering a set in april, the isntall is a biatch, cause the engine has to come out.
Do you think they'll go for $400? The engine has to come out for headers too, so my recommendation is to do both at the same time. Also, do the sparkplugs. Anything else?

Old 03-11-2007, 11:00 AM

Yeah, you can have the intake done too while the motor is out. There is a mod, in which you hog out the intake manifold and get 6-7 horsepower up top. If you take the motor out, you can do the intake mod (6 hp), headers (17 hp and 35 lbs less weight), camshaft (20 hp), spark plugs, and even the front sway bar and motor mount inserts.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:13 AM

who the hell told you that??

The engine has to come out for headers too,
Old 03-11-2007, 11:19 AM
briancopeland

Well, not ALL the way out, but we ARE talking about the 6th generation.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:28 AM
.org extraordinaire

Do you think they'll go for $400? The engine has to come out for headers too, so my recommendation is to do both at the same time. Also, do the sparkplugs. Anything else?
Headers dont need the engine pulled to be installed, but cams do.
However it would make a header job that much easier.
Thanks,

Kam
Old 03-11-2007, 11:44 AM
briancopeland

Thanks for the info. Perhaps you'd like to take a trip down South to Atlanta to help me install them? Seriously, I flew to Newfoundland, Canada once to see a friend that I met online. Of course, that was on match.com and SHE was petite, read headed, AND it was moose hunting season (BTW - I bagged both the girl and a moose - not in the same way). Canada rocks!!! Yes, I kissed the herring and drank the Screech Whiskey (rum?) - I'm not sure which was worse, but I'm an official "Newfie" Canadian as you probably know ;-) BUT, that's all for my twisted travel tales for now. I'm going to go wash my Maxima. I feel dirty all of a sudden for some reason.

Ize the bie dat builds da boat - Ah, the mamories.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:52 PM
briancopeland

I'm sitting here surfing the web at the car wash. I scuffed up my trunk removing the "3.5 SL" badge yesterday, so I'm having them buff it out for me. I turned the TCS off and it didn't make a difference. The car won't even get a wheel now at the start. Could it be because it's running so lean? Any thoughts?

Old 03-11-2007, 02:12 PM

Yeah Brian, throw in some 100 octane and tell me it doesn't help!!!
Old 03-11-2007, 03:05 PM

same motor same install.

Well, not ALL the way out, but we ARE talking about the 6th generation.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:15 PM
briancopeland

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
same motor same install.
Okay.

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Yeah Brian, throw in some 100 octane and tell me it doesn't help!!!
Where does one procure 100 octane gasoline? Certainly not at the QT. I'll try it for fun, but there was no problem smoking the tires without the TCS before the ECU upgrade. There's something going on. I swear it feels just like the turbo lag you get in a turbocharged car with an automatic.

Oh, well. I'm going to be driving my normal commute tomorrow. That's when I usually notice the difference in my mods. I'll have more information during the week. I may drop TS a note and solicit their opinion.

Quick Reply: Technosquare ecu DYNO....