6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Ordered front sway bar from Altima SE-R

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Installing front sway bar

Anyone know the procedure or have a diagram for installing the front sway bar?

I want to replace mine with the Altima SE-R sway bar which is 2mm larger. Maybe in the future I can install urethane carrier bushings too, if anyone knows if those are available?
Old 06-23-2006, 09:02 PM
.org extraordinaire

Deus, you on MSN? PM your addy I will add you to my list and send you the file you need. Cause its BIG.

Kam
Old 06-24-2006, 07:39 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Old 06-24-2006, 08:32 AM

i think ill do the sway bar when I do my header, which may be next weekend.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:37 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

might as well, you are going to be under there already...

I'm looking at august time before I do this header mod and sway bar..
Old 07-01-2006, 01:49 PM

Ordered front sway bar from Altima SE-R

Since the other thread on the Altima SE-R sway bar mysteriously got banished to Suspension forum, Ill start another thread so everyone can ACTUALLY follow whats going on so they can decide if they want this mod

ANYWAY, I ordered the sway bar and bushings from Performance Nissan of Duarte CA. Total was about $100 for BOTH support bushings AND brackets and the bar. Endlink are NOT needed since our endlinks are identical. Make sure u get the bar from the LATER SE-R. Part number DAT54611ZB700.

The parts should arrive Thurday and Ill try to get it installed Saturday. Looking forward to even flatter cornering!!!
Old 07-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Kevlo for President

How much thicker is the bar?
Old 07-01-2006, 02:12 PM

Altima SE-R bar is at least 2 mm thicker which is significant. OEM bar is 22mm and the Altima SE-R bar is 24.2 mm, enough to make a difference, but not turn it into a plowing machine.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:01 PM

After hearing how it goes with the install I may do this; I pulled my front swaybar off my mustangs and they were easy, hopefully this will be to. Hopefully you will be able to feel a difference....
Old 07-01-2006, 05:40 PM

any update on this?
Old 07-01-2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by aria
any update on this?
This is an update since I ordered it this morning (Saturday).
Old 07-01-2006, 10:33 PM

I was also planning on installing those swaybars , so I guess I will just wait and see how you like them.Also when you go pick up the parts ask for Kenny.I would like to meet you, I work for the Nismo department at Performance Nissan.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:10 PM

Ken, ur guy at Perf Nissan said the bar would be in Thursday. U referred to "bars", so to clarify, I only ordered a front bar Altima SE-R bar. I already have a Cattman/Progress rear bar.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:08 AM

So is this front sway bar the same as the Nismo version?
Old 07-02-2006, 08:22 AM

Yes here is the specs on the Nismo swaybars for the Altima
FR .9" (24mm) / RR 1.1" (27mm). Only difference on the SE-R is that it doesnt say Nismo on it and the color is differnt
Old 07-02-2006, 09:37 AM

Uhhh ohh I think this may be a mod for me, but considering that I cracked a nail and scrapped some skin off on my hands while taking the end-links out to change my struts, i'm not too sure I want to do this unlessthe actual install of the bar is easier than I am assuming
Old 07-02-2006, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
Uhhh ohh I think this may be a mod for me, but considering that I cracked a nail and scrapped some skin off on my hands while taking the end-links out to change my struts, i'm not too sure I want to do this unlessthe actual install of the bar is easier than I am assuming
You serious? The rear sway bar is cake to install, so are the rear shocks. If you got those rear shocks on then u shouldnt have any problems with installing the swaybar.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:03 AM

From what I understand, the front sway bar is more difficult to install than the rear. Up front u have an engine, tranny, and steering rack top worry abt. Ill let u know how it is next weekend.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Glude
You serious? The rear sway bar is cake to install, so are the rear shocks. If you got those rear shocks on then u shouldnt have any problems with installing the swaybar.
I was talking about the front.......
Old 07-02-2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
I was talking about the front.......
ahh, ok. The comment about the endlinks made me think you were putting the aftermarket rear ones on.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:37 PM

Hmmmm the front sway bar is held by "end-links" as well.....am I correct?
Old 07-02-2006, 02:22 PM

yes, the front has looong endlinks that wiggle around a lot. So if TAZ is listening, maybe he will make some . . hint hint.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Altima SE-R bar is at least 2 mm thicker which is significant. OEM bar is 22mm and the Altima SE-R bar is 24.2 mm, enough to make a difference, but not turn it into a plowing machine.
I am confused Dues!

Why would you want to increase understeer for a minor increase in roll reduction? What you are doing will actually make the handling worse.

Mark
Old 07-02-2006, 02:35 PM

Well, have u moticed that most bars, including the Nismo bars, come in PAIRS but with the rear bar being a larger increase over stock and larger in general. All I have to do is dial in my rear shocks so it balances out the greater roll stiffness from the larger front bar. Remember, I have adjustable rear shocks. ALso, I plan on using the rear endlinks for even more stiffness. I built a 1975 Honda Civic race car and used larger bars overall. It handled incredibly well. U want to reduce roll as much as possible, but still have greater stiffness in the rear compared to the front. Both larger bars accomplish that goal.

I know it sounds contrary to instinct, but I will let you know for sure when its on and handling like a slot car.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:56 PM

Well, have u moticed that most bars, including the Nismo bars, come in PAIRS but with the rear bar being a larger increase over stock and larger in general. All I have to do is dial in my rear shocks so it balances out the greater roll stiffness from the larger front bar. Remember, I have adjustable rear shocks. ALso, I plan on using the rear endlinks for even more stiffness. I built a 1975 Honda Civic race car and used larger bars overall. It handled incredibly well. U want to reduce roll as much as possible, but still have greater stiffness in the rear compared to the front. Both larger bars accomplish that goal.

I know it sounds contrary to instinct, but I will let you know for sure when its on and handling like a slot car.
Well when you added teh rear bar with a stock front bar that made the car rotate well but not quite enough in my opinion. Now you add a larger front bar and the car will rotate worse.

The idea of adjusting the rear shocks to compensate for a larger front bar is not the correct approach, it is a bandaid fix. Shock control compression and rebound, not roll. Even the stiffest shock will allow a car to roll, it will just take a second of compression longer for it to happen.

I'm not attacking you just feel the approach to making a good handling car is off a bit. As for racing I understand, our race team made it to the Nationals this year qualifying 4th in the Southern Pacific Region in Spec Miata. This is no small accomplishment as we are racing against PRO drivers backed by manufactures.

Mark
Old 07-02-2006, 03:05 PM

I know ur not attacking me, and thats great, because thats what this forum is for - to express our opinions and discuss topics. As I indicated, the addition of rear endlinks and clearly been shown to firm up rear more than with just the bigger rear bar. This has already been shown to make the rear more responsive, and thus rotate better, than without the spherical bearings. Also, the shocks, while maybe not the best approach alone, used in conjunction with larger rear bar and later on stiffer endlinks, is even better at rotating around a turn.

By the way, ur Miata being RWD has a COMPLETELY different approach to suspension , than a FWD car like a Maxima. I also built a 1980 RX7, a car known to whip the rear around. I put a huge front bar on, and loosened the rear bar and kept the old bushings for looseness and that car handled amazing afterwards. I imagine u could do little wrong in a Miata as they are wonderful cars out of the box.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:26 PM

I know ur not attacking me, and thats great, because thats what this forum is for - to express our opinions and discuss topics. As I indicated, the addition of rear endlinks and clearly been shown to firm up rear more than with just the bigger rear bar. This has already been shown to make the rear more responsive, and thus rotate better, than without the spherical bearings. Also, the shocks, while maybe not the best approach alone, used in conjunction with larger rear bar and later on stiffer endlinks, is even better at rotating around a turn.

By the way, ur Miata being RWD has a COMPLETELY different approach to suspension , than a FWD car like a Maxima. I also built a 1980 RX7, a car known to whip the rear around. I put a huge front bar on, and loosened the rear bar and kept the old bushings for looseness and that car handled amazing afterwards. I imagine u could do little wrong in a Miata as they are wonderful cars out of the box.

Yes your right FWD cars do use a different approach than RWD cars. I raced and won the 2004 SSC Championship in a ACR Dodge Neon.

I agree if the endlinks make less deflection in the rear bar setup, that will help.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:50 PM

wait so i'm very confused now...24.2mm front sway bar is the same size as the progress/cattman rear isn't it?

so your saying that the Altima's SE-R nismo components are compatible with 6th gen maxima? i just got soo thrown off on this thread i'm sorry if i'm not getting it.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:40 PM

I believe the Progress/Cattman rear bar is 26mm. The stock Altima SE-R front bar is 24mm. Our stock OEM front bar is 22mm.

The theory is that the Altima SE-R bar will fit our car. As of yet, it is untested. I will find out next weekend whether or not the Altima SE-R bar will fit our car. If it does, then we have a cheap upgrade for our front sway bar.

The second theory is whether or not the effect of a larger front sway bar is beneficial for the handling of the Maxima, as nicely articulated by Maximam. That will also be determined next weekend after I install said bar, and I check out the handling.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:49 PM
.org extraordinaire

DEUS msn me, i need to ask you about something....

Kamski
Old 07-03-2006, 02:25 PM

oooo icic....deus...you cleared it up now...buh the thing is my boii has a 94 del sol..nd he took out his front sway bar because when u tighten up the front the back is goin to just be the same again as before...isn't the whole point to keep the rear tighter because its orginally too loose in the back and it rolls lik NO tomorrow...nd if the front is tightened up even more its lik positive plus a negative for rear. i mean if u place a FTB and RSB i would think thats a double positive...buh once you place the FTB, FS(way)B and RSW that cancels out one positive...do u get wuh i'm tryin to say?
Old 07-03-2006, 02:26 PM

ooo BTW how do u put your avatars on...??? sorrwe off subject...lolxz

i wanna put my avatar in buh don't kno where to link it too
Old 07-04-2006, 10:34 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by MisterSparkle

I looked everywhere
Old 07-04-2006, 10:59 AM
* THIS SPACE FOR RENT *

Originally Posted by MisterSparkle

Im not sure but i think you have to be a donating member ?
Old 07-04-2006, 01:07 PM

Come on! I see "new posts" in here and think that Deus may have installed the sway bar and I scroll down and see lol
Old 07-04-2006, 03:52 PM

yo my badd...didn't mean to just tryin to find 2 somethings out...lolxz aiite back to topic now...
Old 07-04-2006, 04:01 PM

Back on topic, you still want to reduce front sway to some extent. U can really tighten the rear with Progress sway bar and end links and adjustable shocks.

I am due to receive the bar on Thursday, and install will likely be Saturday, unless u guys REAAALLLLY want me to get it in sooner.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:47 PM
.org extraordinaire

Back on topic, you still want to reduce front sway to some extent. U can really tighten the rear with Progress sway bar and end links and adjustable shocks.

I am due to receive the bar on Thursday, and install will likely be Saturday, unless u guys REAAALLLLY want me to get it in sooner.
YA MON!!!

Get 'er done!

Kamski
Old 07-04-2006, 07:25 PM

aiite yo let us all kno wuts goin on there...

buh on another note...not off subject buh there's not really that much different from adjustable shocks and adjustable coilovers rah...cause the Coilovers you can just tighten nd loosen rah?
Old 07-04-2006, 08:36 PM

I think im gonna do the sway bar next weekend, and get headers later. How hard is it to remove subframe of front?

Quick Reply: Ordered front sway bar from Altima SE-R