6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Define "shimmy"

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:27 AM

Define "shimmy"

I haven't had my 04 very long, so I'm just getting used to it.

I'm in fear of getting the dreaded shimmy. Any slight movement in the wheel drives me nuts.

I thought I got a some shimmy yesterday.....wheel seemed like it was moving quite a bit side to side.....but only on one part of the highway for 15 or so seconds.

I did remove the plastic piece last night......noticed no difference.....although I couldn't replicate the shimmy cause I'm not positive where it occurred.

I spoke with an ex Nissan tech I know from racing......said the cure for true shimmy is tightening the steering rack....I think I may have seen a TSB for it.

But......back to my main question.....I get a little bit of vibration in the wheel......not a ton.....but enough to notice. Its intermittent, mainly happens on the highway at higher speeds. Is that "shimmy? Or is "shimmy" the wheel moving back and forth pretty crazy? Do I just have some vibrations in my wheel from normal stuff like wheel balance, etc?

I did just get new F1s, and an alignment that is not 100% perfect. I was thinking of getting the Road Force balance and taking the car back to perfect my alignment.

With these types of tires/wheels.......will the slight vibration just be something that I'll have to live with?
Old 03-26-2008, 11:33 AM

There are many threads on this if you search. Vibration and shimmy are 2 different things. Back and forth is a shimmy, vibration is ...well a vibration. Check your tires and balancing first and then your rotors for any defects.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:51 AM

Yep I've read many threads on this. I just wanted to make sure I am chasing down vibrations and not shimmy.....I don't believe I have shimmy but wanted to confirm.

I've only known warped brake rotors to cause vibration while braking. Are you telling me that they can cause it while just driving down the highway?

Back to the plastic piece for a second......does one only need to cut the lip, or remove it together if they have shimmy?
Old 03-26-2008, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rich96
Yep I've read many threads on this. I just wanted to make sure I am chasing down vibrations and not shimmy.....I don't believe I have shimmy but wanted to confirm.

I've only known warped brake rotors to cause vibration while braking. Are you telling me that they can cause it while just driving down the highway?

Back to the plastic piece for a second......does one only need to cut the lip, or remove it together if they have shimmy?
Little lost on the plastic piece. The rotor issue is only if there is a problem at the hub...manufacturer defect. Steering rack can be only tightened so much.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:51 PM

Some people notice a shimmy when they get around 60 mph, and it gets worse as they drive faster. Try going over 60 mph, and see if you notice a shimmy?
Old 03-26-2008, 06:09 PM

Ah yes.

Alright, first off, all you need to do to fix the shimmy that is generated from the plastic piece is shave the lip. If you took it off (as did I), no loss. Most cars don't have plastic under them.

Two. You would know if you had a shimmy. It wouldn't need "replicated" it would be all the time. Number one reason you get the shimmy - tire balance. You need to have your car Hunter Force balanced with a computer balance. Our cars are extremely sensitive. Case in point - I had my car balanced three separate times by three separate shops when I got new tires on it. The car shimmy'd like mad. I got it Hunter Force balanced and BAM no more shimmy.

You could also have uneven tire wear due to not rotating and misalignment.

But trust me, if you are questioning whether you have a shimmy or not, you don't have it. You would know if you had it.

Joshua
Old 03-26-2008, 06:10 PM

Oh and yes - it would be most noticeable from 55-70 miles an hour.

Joshua
Old 03-27-2008, 08:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i removed that plastic sshiiittt underneath and i notice the difference on the hwy
Old 03-29-2008, 07:41 AM

I removed that plastic tray from under the car and still have a noticeable shimmy from 60-80 mph. brand new tires, new breaks and rotors.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:11 PM

which plastic piece are you guys speaking of? The front splash shield?
Old 03-29-2008, 01:39 PM
reb

They are talking about that front piece right under the radiator. This appears to affect the early production cars.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:34 PM

Is this the usual fix for something the shimmy? Besides the garbage tires they are equipped with.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:43 PM

Update:

I had my alignment rechecked - all within spec.

Went back to Goodyear and asked them about the Road Force balance - $27 a tire. They said to try the free lifetime "regular" balance first before paying for the Road Force. (Ironically, I called the stealership and its only $44.99 for all four tires)

They balanced the tires and the vibration is as good as gone. BUT....the car still pulls to the left. My alignment is within spec, but they said that the camber and caster are .4 off to the left.....COULD cause the slight drift....but should not as those numbers are supposed to be acceptable. The camber and caster are not adjustable from the factory, it requires a kit plus a new alignment.

They did say that the drift COULD be a bad tire. They wanted to rotate them to eliminate that possibility, but they found that one of my rear wheels had a slight lip bend on it.

So.....going to get the bend fixed next week........then......rotate the tires.......if that does not work......I guess I'll try the camber kit.

I am told that drift can sometimes be fixed by a Road Force balance.....but 99% of the time its an alignment issue.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:11 AM

Long story short, been having this problem for months. I installed new front and rear pads, had them resurface front and rear rotors, but shake is still there. It's ridiculous. I decided to save for new drilled & slotted rotors, and new struts to be changed all at once. If it does not go away, then I'll get new brake calipers and install steel braided brake lines, then let the mechanic deal with a possible rack and pinion or hydraulic issue. I'm trying to get this thing to last more than 200,000 miles, this rattle and shake concerns me because the steering wheel and brake pedal is getting a good workout, which in my inexperienced, non-mechanic opinion, does some damage to the body of the car. I define my shimmy as 1/8 inch side to side movement of the steering wheel while driving and when breaking, half inch side to side movement. Hopefully this will be the cure: http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...nes-fluid.html Just my $.02...
Old 10-12-2010, 04:12 PM

Dunno if it helps, but I had a shimmy on my bimmer around 60-65. The cause was bad control arms and bushings. Check bushings and suspension arms.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Hellrot318is
Dunno if it helps, but I had a shimmy on my bimmer around 60-65. The cause was bad control arms and bushings. Check bushings and suspension arms.
How much would it be to replace bushings & suspension arms? Is that too costly?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:29 AM
SuPeRmOd

my personal experience is having a solid wheel balancing solves it. But certain roads no matter what will be noticed. Air pressure changing affects it. Resurfacing rotors will not help. If the rotors are not balanced from the start, nothing you can do but replace with better ones.

Driving with and without my plastic shield had no influence what so ever. It is an aerodynamic piece. It does not affect the balance or vibration of the suspension whatsoever.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
my personal experience is having a solid wheel balancing solves it. But certain roads no matter what will be noticed. Air pressure changing affects it. Resurfacing rotors will not help. If the rotors are not balanced from the start, nothing you can do but replace with better ones.

Driving with and without my plastic shield had no influence what so ever. It is an aerodynamic piece. It does not affect the balance or vibration of the suspension whatsoever.
Agreed 100%. The steering can be perfect and then the shimmy starts and then a few miles later it can go away. It is from the little imperfections, almost every time, on asphalt highways.