6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Resonator delete please read

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by macakin
this is what I did to mine, this is just temporary until I get back from my deployment... Gettho yes, but cheap( $30 )mod I deleted the 3rd cat here in PR they aren't very concern about cat's
That's still better then a cutout like a wanna be muscle car. Thanks for serving.

Last edited by RAZ76; 03-06-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by RAZ76
That's still better then a cutout liek a wanna be muscle car. Thanks for serving.
Lol, you are welcomed sir!!
Old 03-06-2011, 10:33 AM

no offense to maxima's i love them, but in my opinion, they are not powerful enough to be considered a good standard car. it requires too much daily work to operate and not enough reward. when i drop the clutch and smash in the throttle, i want to be pushed back into my seat. if it can't do that, i don't want it. im sure there are some respectable 6speed maxs out there, but if i were to spend the 10+ grand into developing that respect, i would have bought an sti, a corvette, an early year trans-am, or an S4, luxury cars including the maxima are for luxury AND performance and wearing out your left leg to get to the store isn't my idea of luxury and the performance is equivalent to that of an ordinary middle class car, a little faster then an accord lets me honest, nothing abnormally special, so you got jack on me.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 03-06-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
no offense to maxima's i love them, but in my opinion, they are not powerful enough to be considered a good standard car. it requires too much daily work to operate and not enough reward. when i drop the clutch and smash in the throttle, i want to be pushed back into my seat. if it can't do that, i don't want it. im sure there are some respectable 6speed maxs out there, but if i were to spend the 10+ grand into developing that respect, i would have bought an sti, a corvette, an early year trans-am, or an S4, luxury cars including the maxima are for luxury AND performance and wearing out your left leg to get to the store isn't my idea of luxury and the performance is equivalent to that of an ordinary middle class car, a little faster then an accord lets me honest, nothing abnormally special, so you got jack on me.

Perfect paragraph of a 6spd hater, misinformed, lack of knowledge. These cars have plenty of power. The only bad thing about a maxima is the FWD, that's all. Im not going to sit here and argue with someone that doesn't know what a 6spd max feels like but until you do, stfu please.

Last edited by RAZ76; 03-06-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:14 AM

uh dude, you've got me all wrong, i test drove one before i decided between the auto and the manual. so i do know what your car feels like, and im telling you, maximas are not fast cars. they are decently quick, but I build race cars for a hobby. i have a twin turbo 2002 black SIX SPEED corvette. infact its at the dyno right now cause i just got done putting in a new cam.

so i know what "plenty of power" feels like and the Maxima does not have it. like i said it is .3 seconds faster then a HONDA ACCORD! and i don't see honda accords as being super fast cars, even with your 6 speed. so YOU STFU. you say i have a wanna be muscle car, YOU have a wanna be race car. My maxima serves it purpose as a great daily drive, with the added benefit of racing cars that underestimate maxima's like mercs, and beemers, and lexi of similar or lower liter-age, and of coarse little yellow ricers.
my 6 speed is in my vette where it belongs.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 03-06-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:29 AM

Whoa dude, I was not by any mean comparing a 6spd 3.5L maxima with a freaking V8 corvette. not even on the same planet. What Im saying is that a 6spd manual maxima is pretty quick compared to other V6 4 dr sedans, stock. I never said it was the fastest thing to ever hit the planet. Yeah, of course compared to a V8 vette, it's pretty slow.

Nice built on that vette by the way.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:36 AM

thanks bro, it took me 3 days to get that kit in, its a prototype so it took longer then expected but it was only 5 grand

Originally Posted by RAZ76
6spd manual maxima is pretty quick compared to other V6 4 dr sedans.
ok, ill admit it, your right. the 6 speed max is definitely a very fast sedan now that were on the same page. lol
Old 03-07-2011, 05:44 PM

hm, my gas mileage is suspiciously high with my cutout open.. does anyone else here with aftermarket exhaust show high 30's mpg? im consistently getting about 35-38mpg at 55mph and 34-36 at 65. road is flat level straight.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:30 PM

Nobody that has a twin turbo corvette is going to put an exhaust cutout on a maxima period end of story goodnight
Old 03-07-2011, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by jasoneon
Nobody that has a twin turbo corvette is going to put an exhaust cutout on a maxima period end of story goodnight

lol dumbass.. i didn't know there was a secrete rule book to live by once i bought my corvette. its nice to know that whenever i need it, you can recite the guidelines to me. you must be some super awesome corvette owner expert.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 03-08-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hm, my gas mileage is suspiciously high with my cutout open.. does anyone else here with aftermarket exhaust show high 30's mpg? im consistently getting about 35-38mpg at 55mph and 34-36 at 65. road is flat level straight.
Wow, I would be lucky to get 30mpg, soo I would say no.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok. this needs to be corrected once an for all.

the physics of an internal combustion engine are plan and simple. race cars, including F1, funny cars, dragsters, nascar, ect... they ALL achieve ZERO pressure in their exhaust systems. This promotes the best power gain possible in high rpm. the range in which all of these cars operate. its not up for debate that is the facts.

now we don't have race cars we have regular street cars, but the principal still applies. for those of us who have automatics, there is no way to bypass the 0-3 rpm that does better with some back pressure. back pressure in low RPM gives torque.

here is why it doesn't matter.

when you are at a stand still, and are getting ready to mash in the throttle, automatic transmission cars will inevitably use the 0-3 rpm range but only for a few seconds. what you lose in low end torque you more then make up for it in the high end. when you are WOT and go into second gear, you don't go below the 3, so why on earth would you sacrifice top end power where the huge majority of your acceleration takes place for less then 3 seconds of low end torque????? why? thats stupid.

take it from the experts who invest billions upon billions in research to squeeze the most power out of an engine. they say zero pressure,

i looked everywhere for the post where a guy from this forum went from 2.5" to 3" and dyno'd the results. he gained a significant amount of HP and Torque with the 3" you will have to take my word for it unless someone here knows who im talking about.
I know exactly what you are talking about (I am studying in. in auto mechanics), but, I am thinking about to delete my main cat + resonators, I think there is enough back presure with my pre-cats (the car has 50,000 miles), what do you think about it?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok. this needs to be corrected once an for all.

the physics of an internal combustion engine are plan and simple. race cars, including F1, funny cars, dragsters, nascar, ect... they ALL achieve ZERO pressure in their exhaust systems. This promotes the best power gain possible in high rpm. the range in which all of these cars operate. its not up for debate that is the facts.

now we don't have race cars we have regular street cars, but the principal still applies. for those of us who have automatics, there is no way to bypass the 0-3 rpm that does better with some back pressure. back pressure in low RPM gives torque.

here is why it doesn't matter.

when you are at a stand still, and are getting ready to mash in the throttle, automatic transmission cars will inevitably use the 0-3 rpm range but only for a few seconds. what you lose in low end torque you more then make up for it in the high end. when you are WOT and go into second gear, you don't go below the 3, so why on earth would you sacrifice top end power where the huge majority of your acceleration takes place for less then 3 seconds of low end torque????? why? thats stupid.

take it from the experts who invest billions upon billions in research to squeeze the most power out of an engine. they say zero pressure,

i looked everywhere for the post where a guy from this forum went from 2.5" to 3" and dyno'd the results. he gained a significant amount of HP and Torque with the 3" you will have to take my word for it unless someone here knows who im talking about.

I know exactly what you are talking about (I am studying in. in auto mechanics), but, I am thinking about to delete my main cat + resonators, I think there is enough back presure with my pre-cats (the car has 50,000 miles), what do you think about it?
Old 04-15-2012, 05:14 PM

Damn nice vette. How about a video of that thing screaming around. I'm dont mind the sound of the cut out. Gotta start on the modding shortly.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Banned

It sounds rough at idle. Wot is pretty much what i would expect w a cutout. Its a great mod for power. Most would say it sounds awful, but for people that know what it is its appealing. Kinda how almost all muscle cars sound like **** while high reving m3 is music to peoples ears. I would rock that all day at the track and close it up otherwise. Oh yea. Stop driving like a **** in a residential neighborhood.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:26 PM

Resonator cut with stock exhaust gives a little more gurgle but still pretty quiet
Old 04-19-2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by 7speed
Resonator cut with stock exhaust gives a little more gurgle but still pretty quiet
i'd say it is just as quiet as it is stock, except when you rev high, the volume stays the same, you can just hear a hint of something mean in there, as apposed to a normal sounding car with the resonator.

Its been over a year since i did my cut out and i have never been happier with my choice. It is truly an amazing sound. Im always being asked to open it up and give it a poke at meets and the response is always the same, a kinda shocked/impressed/curious reaction. you can't go wrong.

My fiance is still thanking me for not having a loud freeway droning ricer as a daily drive too. And a girl that is happy in your car is happy in the sac