6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

'04 Maxima Rattles on start up????

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:49 AM

'04 Maxima Rattles on start up????

I'M new to nissans and just bought an '04 SL 3.5 WITH 72,000 . I've had it a week and have notice when you start it up there is a rattle that sounds like its coming from the passenger side top rear of the engine. At first I thought it may be a pully bearing, but it sounds a bit high on the motor to be that, almost sounds like maybe a loose metal shroud of some sort, The sound goes away shortly after start up and all is fine. Turn the car off and restart it 10 min. later or so and it will do the samething. The car is extremly clean and seems to have been well cared for. Its going back to the dealer today for a look over. But I'm one of those people who won't sleep till I now what it might be. If did'nt know any better I'd think that the oil was taking to long to reach the top half of the motor. No lights on and car runs awsome. Any ideas would sure help ! Thanks..
Old 07-13-2012, 12:58 AM
oem ftw!

Your timing chain tensioner / guides need to be replaced. Common failure on our 6th gens, unfortunately. I'm starting to hear the rattle, which lasts for about one second immediately upon start up. But, I also need an oil change, so I'm sure that's not helping my cause much

Congrats on the purchase, and best of luck with the car. Read through the transmission fix thread at the top of our forum, and keep an eye on your transmission as well. When these cars are running properly, they sure are fun to drive. Welcome to the forums

Last edited by CRiME; 07-13-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:55 AM

^ What he said
Old 07-13-2012, 01:57 AM

Is this a major undertaking to be fixed, and can I still drive the car till I get it to the shop?
Old 07-13-2012, 02:13 AM
oem ftw!

Sure, you can still drive it for the time being, however it will get worse over time. It is a pretty involved job. I usually like to do all of my own repairs, but this is something that I'm not looking forward to. When the time comes, I'll just take it somewhere to get done. IIRC, most people end up spending around $1000 to get it fixed.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:41 AM

Thanks guys , I rest a bit easier now. Whats to look out for with the tranny?
Old 07-13-2012, 05:07 AM

good thing you noticed the noise now take it back to the dealer ASAP and make them fix it they should have never sold you the car in that state
Old 07-13-2012, 03:44 PM

it could also be your oil pump not working as it should. The timing chain issue should still be there even after the car is warmed up. I do agree with the previous posts and think you should take it back and complain about the timing chain tensioners and tell them that is what you where told from a respectable mechanic. If you tell them you found out on the forum, they will just blow it off. I think if you tell them it is that, they will find out what the cost is for repair and try to find a possible cause that is not as expensive to repair, which could lead to you getting a good thorough engine inspection and no issues later down the line. Good luck and welcome to the club.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:19 AM

Thats exactlly what I told the dealer , hes's thaking care of it today. Thanks Guys
Old 08-11-2012, 06:51 AM

UPdate....... Well the dealer made good on the repair. It was the timing chain tensioners and guides gone bad that was making the noise.You guys were spot on. Now here is how it has been going. I t went to the mech. 2 weeks ago at the end of the 1st week mech called me said the car is done and ready, I pick the car up drive it 2 blocks and the service engine soon light comes on what the F*** I wheel the car around and right back to the mech. and told him the SES light just came on, so he pulled the P0011 intake valve timing perf. advance bank 1 code , he clears it drives it ,no light back on , the same code is pending. So I leave the car for mech to look into and fix. Next day I call the mech he tells me all the sensors are good, clean etc. and that he believes he needs to take all back apart again that the timing must have jump a tooth. I think he meant he F***** up and did'nt align the timing marks properly when he replaced the chains. Week # 2 I just got the car back this past Monday eve. the mech said sure enough the crank sprocket was miss aliened the first time he tried to fix it and now its good no SES lights ,no pending codes, etc. Now bare in mind that when I picked the car up from him the first time and the SES light came the engine was still running great no rough idle, no missing , and still plenty of power. So i got the car Monday and This morning Saturday I'm taking my son to work and we get 3/4 of a mile from our house and I think I feel a slight miss and then its gone and notice the SES light is back on, but the car is running and no more missing or rough idle, engine is running great. When I got home I put my scanner on it and pulled the P0011 code, and same code pending. I cleared it now my wife is using it for work today. I'm very mechanical and normally do my own work, since this car is still under warranty and I'm new Nissans I dont have to do the work on it yet, but I'm thinking this car now has a bad cam sensor , or crank sensor. What do you guys think. I know that clean and well maintained oil is a must with this motor and the mech told me the inside of the engine was very clean and no sludge at all .So as with all this said thats why I'm thinking a bad sensor or harness connection. What are your thoughts??