6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2004 5AT - Car Pulls When Trans Shifts Into 4th or 5th

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 05:37 AM

2004 5AT - Car Pulls When Trans Shifts Into 4th or 5th

This is a very weird issue that has popped up on a 2004 5AT car. When the car is accelerating under normal throttle, shifting through the gears, when it gets to 4th or 5th I think, as soon as it shifts, the car feels like its being pushed/pulled to the right side of the road. The car has about 180k miles on it, and the trans was replaced at like 140k miles, and came out of a 2004 Quest with approximately the same number of miles. This issue seems relatively new, but I did some extensive work on the car right before this popped up, so let me lay that all out there. I do not recall this issue PRIOR to the work below, but I am not positive.

The following work was done just before the issue popped up:
  • Timing chain tensioner job
  • Motor Mounts - all 4 replaced (2 of the 4 were torn/damaged)
  • Both CV shafts replaced with off-the-shelf Advance Auto shafts (both have leaking boots as well, and will be replaced soon)
  • Bank 2 Pre-cat
  • Bank 2 Camshaft sensor
  • Crank sensor
  • Trans Fluid replaced with Amsoil ATF
Is it possible that this issue is internal to the transmission, possibly a differential issue?
Old 08-27-2019, 09:18 AM

Do the alignment if not yet done. You made sure that brakes are not sticking and tire pressure is equal, right?
Old 08-27-2019, 09:37 AM

Tarzan, thanks for the response! The alignment is good and the tire pressures are all at 32 PSI.

When you mention brakes, I forgot to include that I recently replaced the ABS pump module due to a C1124 ABS solenoid error. I installed a used ABS pump module, which the replacement is throwing a C1111 code. I am planning to return that pump. I also do not believe the brakes to be dragging.

Specifically what is happening is that literally as soon as the transmission shifts, the car feels like a huge gust of wind blows against the drivers side, shoving it to the side of the road. As I am thinking through this and what factors could cause such a sensation, it would require something activating at a very specific time to cause the car to move in that way like clockwork. I wonder if the issue way be due to the ABS module b/c this is a non-traction or stability car, so if the ABS module is from a traction or stability control car, maybe that is acting up?
Old 08-27-2019, 10:01 AM

If it was ABS related, you'd heard it activating on one side. Do you hear or feel any ABS pulsation?
Is your diff LSD or non?
Old 08-27-2019, 10:04 AM

I have not noticed the ABS activating. And I am unsure if the diff is LSD or not b/c it came out of a Quest minivan. Could this be a symptom of a LSD diff acting up? Is there a label or something on the trans that I can identify if it is LSD or not?
Old 08-27-2019, 11:18 AM

I am grasping at straws. Not sure. Hoping that more knowledgeable members can help you.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:15 PM

ABS pumps make enough noise to be heard in the cabin. Think extra loud vibrator. You would know if it was ABS. Seems unlikely to me, however. If you want to rule it out definitively, deactivate it (pull fuse, harness connector, etc.). You need to know what type your tranny is. The ID plate in the engine compartment on the firewall states this information. If the new tranny is the same as the original, is the question.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:22 AM

User1, I think you read my mind! I did pull the ABS fuse and the issue occurred again during my test drive. Because the transmission is not original to the car, I am not aware of how to identify the details. I will continue to search and update this thread to keep it current. If anyone else that reads this has info to add, I would appreciate it!
Old 08-28-2019, 11:17 AM

You have an odd complaint. Does it happen at ANY other time besides 4-5 shifts? I've seen here on the forum complaints of torque steer as a result of failed/worn lower control arm bushings. I'm NOT aware of a differential issue causing torque to be applied more heavily to one side than the other, although it's certainly within the realm of possibility. I just don't know enough about the transmission other than that being the behavior of non-locking differentials, which is normal operation.

Last edited by User1; 08-28-2019 at 11:30 AM. Reason: NOT aware
Old 08-28-2019, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by User1
torque steer as a result of failed/worn lower control arm bushings.
Good one! The alignment shop should have called it if any of the suspension components had a play. Still worth double-checking.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:33 AM

I did fail to mention that when I drove it last night, I actually counted the gears to ensure that I knew which gear it was in when the issue occurred. I actually noticed it mid-3rd gear the times that I was really counting. As for the control arm bushings, I replaced both front lower control arms somewhere around 10k miles ago. When I did the timing chain tensioner job, I ended up dropping the sub-frame and separated the control arms from the spindle, and the joints seemed nice and solid still.

The torque steer issues I have experienced on other FWD cars seemed to be directly proportional to the amount of throttle applied. I never recall any kind of erratic or sudden change in torque steer like I am seeing now. With this 04, under a consistent throttle, the car will suddenly push right, then just as suddenly that would stop and resume normal, straight driving.

The reason this concerns me is that we have put around 65k miles on the car. This issue had never popped up previously, although I suppose the slop allowed by the 2 destroyed motor mounts could have masked the issue.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:38 AM

That's bizarre, and beyond me. Wish I had more for you! It makes sense that the tranny could indeed be the culprit. The history tells all, be it automotive or medical!
Old 08-28-2019, 01:26 PM

Other than suggesting that you change diff oil I am fresh out of ideas.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:50 AM

I just wanted to close the loop on this issue. After some investigation I found that the passenger side lower control arm had developed some play. So with a replacement front bushing insert, the car drives good as new! Thanks to everyone that spent time offering ideas on this.