7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

OK, Who Bought One? What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by slater
bought one about 2 weeks ago.

precision grey, premium pckg. talked manager down to $34,500

I get the exact same model about a week ago given up the technology package on the Sport package version becuase the sport version transfer the noise and bump to the cabinet which driving me crazy. I swap it out with a premium package within 30 minutes of getting the car. the premium drive much smoother and disappointing thing that i can not get a premium with technology around here so i have to give up the navigation system. I think i make it out ok on the price. I paid $32k (MSRP $36,850)on the Premium package with carpet and before I swapped out, the sport package with technology, spoiler and carpet cost me $32.6K (MSRP $37,580)
Old 01-05-2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by I Hack 4 U
I have only done three things. First is I removed all the nissan emblems from the back with a blow dryer and then I did tinted the windows and put on my 20 inch foose rims. I am working on the stereo system and seeing how I can integrate the nav/steering wheel with my sound system. I also have on order a bar grille for the front (1 pc) not the bottom piece yet. There is not much more I can do at this point since it's so new. Any suggestions?
love to see what you did as i was thinking doing the same as my does not have Nav so i am looking for after market to integrate everything. post some with when you done...
Old 01-10-2009, 10:59 PM

Finally have my '09 Winter Frost with Cafe Latte interior, Premium and Tech packages.

No thanks to Nissan dealers. I searched dealer inventories for days, and found from those inventories that dealers had added spoilers to most of their Winter Frost Premium Maximas. I found seven that were what I wanted, and had no spoilers. I attached those to my offer which I sent to the Internet Manager at my dealer.

She checked these seven, found one dealer was not interested in dealing straight up, one already had a contract on their car, and the other five had spoilers added by dealers who didn't bother to update Nissan's inventory. Three of these cars were at one dealer. Only a totally insane idiot dealer would add spoilers to ALL THREE cars that were exactly alike.

I spent many more hours, finding three more candidates: one in Rock Hill SC (near Charlotte NC), one in Asheville NC, and one in Bristol, on the Tenn-VA border. All three were nowhere near to where I live south of Atlanta.

I was becomming uncertain what to do, when my dealer's Internet Manager noticed the car that had a contract on it was not dropped from that dealer's inventory. She called, found that deal had fallen through (loan not approved), and she had the car shipped to her dealership immediately.

I arrived at her office (20 miles away) two hours later, and drove home with my '09.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

I love this CVT! No slop, slip, skip, or hesitation. Tight and smooth. Always seems to find the 'sweet spot'.

Tough adjusting to the foot-operated parking brake. It is not near the firewall (traditional location), but is where the clutch would be. I totally missed the pedal the first few times (it was at night), and actually trapped my foot between the pedal and the bottom of the dash on one atttempt. I will adjust to this. I do appreciate that moving this from the console leaves a much-cleaner console area.

Viva la intelligent key! No more trying to fumble into my pocket when my arms are full, or it is raining or snowing, or the temp is 10 degrees and the wind 40 MPH.

Very roomy trunk; may be bigger than the big one on my 6th gen.

If you have short arms, don't try to use this glove box; you won't be able to reach what you put there. It seems to reach halfway through the engine compartment.

Rear seat fold-down console reminds me of the old 'Elite' option. Much nicer than the rear fold-down console on my 6th gen. Has heating/cooling and audio controls, also.

I appreciate the rear window power sunshade. In hot weather, I try to park facing away from the sun, and the parcel shelf and the top of the rear seat get baked. No more!

I can turn again! With my 6th gen, I felt like I needed to make advance reservations before trying to turn around. With this '09, a 'U' turn is as simple as a flick of the wheel.

The ride is fairly firm, controlled and precise, but not at all uncomfortable; just right for me.

I have to be careful in close places; the stylish ridge along the top of the front fenders blocks any view of the outside edge of the fenders.

The view out the rear window is much improved from my 6th gen, in which the roof came down so far the upper part of the view to the rear was blocked. No problem with the '09.

The heated steering wheel is better in the '09. In my 6th gen. it would get very hot, then cool down to tepid, then get very hot again. On the '09, it gets very warm, then stays that way.

Rear view camera is excellent. I looked into this camera and actually saw a bug crossing the concrete behind my car.

Same old hassle programming the HomeLink with rolling code garage door openers. But I got it done, and this isn't Nissan's fault anyway.

Getting to the space-saver spare is easy, as long as your trunk is empty. I have a cargo system that covers the rear half of my trunk wall-to-wall. It has to be unloaded to be removed from the car, and is still difficult to get out. I hope I don't have a flat.

The arm rest on top of the console storage compartment seems to be conflicting with my right elbow. This is because I always have my right hand palm-down at the 5 o'clock position on the wheel. I will work something out.

At first, I had the tendency to push the START button and hold it until the engine started. WRONG! We are supposed to simply tap the button, and the car does the rest.

The dash guages are large, unblocked and clear. On my 6th gen, they always seemed to be hiding behind the steering wheel.

Front seat headroom is very good for me (6'11"). Haven't sat in back yet.

Nice to be able to raise or lower the rear door windows with one quick flick of a switch.

The fit and finish inside the cabin of my '09 is perfect. I can't imagine where Consumer Reports found those screwheads and misfitted parts. I used to trust CU. My 6th gen needed adjustments on things like the glove box door, but my '09 is perfect.

So far, I have found no problems. But then I just got the car.

Did I tell you I love this redesigned CVT?

Last edited by lightonthehill; 01-10-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Finally have my '09 Winter Frost with Cafe Latte interior, Premium and Tech packages.

No thanks to Nissan dealers. I searched dealer inventories for days, and found from those inventories that dealers had added spoilers to most of their Winter Frost Premium Maximas. I found seven that were what I wanted, and had no spoilers. I attached those to my offer which I sent to the Internet Manager at my dealer.

She checked these seven, found one dealer was not interested in dealing straight up, one already had a contract on their car, and the other five had spoilers added by dealers who didn't bother to update Nissan's inventory. Three of these cars were at one dealer. Only a totally insane idiot dealer would add spoilers to ALL THREE cars that were exactly alike.

I spent many more hours, finding three more candidates: one in Rock Hill SC (near Charlotte NC), one in Asheville NC, and one in Bristol, on the Tenn-VA border. All three were nowhere near to where I live south of Atlanta.

I was becomming uncertain what to do, when my dealer's Internet Manager noticed the car that had a contract on it was not dropped from that dealer's inventory. She called, found that deal had fallen through (loan not approved), and she had the car shipped to her dealership immediately.

I arrived at her office (20 miles away) two hours later, and drove home with my '09.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

I love this CVT! No slop, slip, skip, or hesitation. Tight and smooth. Always seems to find the 'sweet spot'.

Tough adjusting to the foot-operated parking brake. It is not near the firewall (traditional location), but is where the clutch would be. I totally missed the pedal the first few times (it was at night), and actually trapped my foot between the pedal and the bottom of the dash on one atttempt. I will adjust to this. I do appreciate that moving this from the console leaves a much-cleaner console area.

Viva la intelligent key! No more trying to fumble into my pocket when my arms are full, or it is raining or snowing, or the temp is 10 degrees and the wind 40 MPH.

Very roomy trunk; may be bigger than the big one on my 6th gen.

If you have short arms, don't try to use this glove box; you won't be able to reach what you put there. It seems to reach halfway through the engine compartment.

Rear seat fold-down console reminds me of the old 'Elite' option. Much nicer than the rear fold-down console on my 6th gen. Has heating/cooling and audio controls, also.

I appreciate the rear window power sunshade. In hot weather, I try to park facing away from the sun, and the parcel shelf and the top of the rear seat get baked. No more!

I can turn again! With my 6th gen, I felt like I needed to make advance reservations before trying to turn around. With this '09, a 'U' turn is as simple as a flick of the wheel.

The ride is fairly firm, controlled and precise, but not at all uncomfortable; just right for me.

I have to be careful in close places; the stylish ridge along the top of the front fenders blocks any view of the outside edge of the fenders.

The view out the rear window is much improved from my 6th gen, in which the roof came down so far the upper part of the view to the rear was blocked. No problem with the '09.

The heated steering wheel is better in the '09. In my 6th gen. it would get very hot, then cool down to tepid, then get very hot again. On the '09, it gets very warm, then stays that way.

Rear view camera is excellent. I looked into this camera and actually saw a bug crossing the concrete behind my car.

Same old hassle programming the HomeLink with rolling code garage door openers. But I got it done, and this isn't Nissan's fault anyway.

Getting to the space-saver spare is easy, as long as your trunk is empty. I have a cargo system that covers the rear half of my trunk wall-to-wall. It has to be unloaded to be removed from the car, and is still difficult to get out. I hope I don't have a flat.

The arm rest on top of the console storage compartment seems to be conflicting with my right elbow. This is because I always have my right hand palm-down at the 5 o'clock position on the wheel. I will work something out.

At first, I had the tendency to push the START button and hold it until the engine started. WRONG! We are supposed to simply tap the button, and the car does the rest.

The dash guages are large, unblocked and clear. On my 6th gen, they always seemed to be hiding behind the steering wheel.

Front seat headroom is very good for me (6'11"). Haven't sat in back yet.

Nice to be able to raise or lower the rear door windows with one quick flick of a switch.

The fit and finish inside the cabin of my '09 is perfect. I can't imagine where Consumer Reports found those screwheads and misfitted parts. I used to trust CU. My 6th gen needed adjustments on things like the glove box door, but my '09 is perfect.

So far, I have found no problems. But then I just got the car.

Did I tell you I love this redesigned CVT?
Light...Congratulations on the new Max. Your information, opinions, and experience are extremely valuable to all of us. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by rkurlander; 01-11-2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:45 AM

Nice Summary!

I've been waiting for your report and figured it was a) delayed because of problems closing the sale, or b) you were out driving your new Maxima and smiling too much to post anything. As usual, c) both, was the correct answer.

Enjoyed reading your summary and have only one suggestion: Nissan has designed that beautuful steering wheel with indentations for your thumbs at 9 and 3 o'clock. Why? By holding the wheel in these positions, it provides the greatest range of movement and greater feedback in any emergency or high-performance situation. I've worked with many drivers about changing their habit of holding the steering wheel at the race track and in emergency situations. Not that you'll ever be faced with taking your Max to a road race track (although Road Atlanta is nearby and would be great to open up that Max at), but you may find it not only solves your armrest problem, it may help you avoid a shunt in the future!

I also have a request: having just traded in your last Max, what do you think about engine response between the two models? Certainly, the next gen CVT will color this perception, but can you make any type of performance comparisons? After a fill-up or three, you may also have some thoughts about mileage that would be interesting.

Once again, congrats on your new purchase and long may you enjoy your new Max, you lucky dog!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Love my '09

Light, glad you finally got what you wanted.

My 6 month update still shows ONLY the front seat rocking issue. Dealership replaced the seat frame, but nothing.

Other than that, mine has been an absolute pleasure to own and drive.

Coming from an 07, it's so much more refined.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by dkmura
I've been waiting for your report and figured it was a) delayed because of problems closing the sale, or b) you were out driving your new Maxima and smiling too much to post anything. As usual, c) both, was the correct answer.

Enjoyed reading your summary and have only one suggestion: Nissan has designed that beautuful steering wheel with indentations for your thumbs at 9 and 3 o'clock. Why? By holding the wheel in these positions, it provides the greatest range of movement and greater feedback in any emergency or high-performance situation. I've worked with many drivers about changing their habit of holding the steering wheel at the race track and in emergency situations. Not that you'll ever be faced with taking your Max to a road race track (although Road Atlanta is nearby and would be great to open up that Max at), but you may find it not only solves your armrest problem, it may help you avoid a shunt in the future!

I also have a request: having just traded in your last Max, what do you think about engine response between the two models? Certainly, the next gen CVT will color this perception, but can you make any type of performance comparisons? After a fill-up or three, you may also have some thoughts about mileage that would be interesting.

Once again, congrats on your new purchase and long may you enjoy your new Max, you lucky dog!

dkmura - I do usually have my hands near the 9 and 3 o'clock positions when actually 'driving' (other traffic around, maneuvering, etc). But for the last fifty years, when on open roads or long freeway trips when other traffic is not close, my weak arms tire of being held up, so I lay the left one near the wheel on my left thigh, and lay my right one face down inside the wheel at the 5 o'clock position. If there is anything around, or if it is dark in areas where deer or other animals tend to be on the road, I stick to the 9/3 positions.

I think I developed this habit in the 1950s and 1960s when I often drove very long trips, sometimes coast to coast, and there was very little traffic, especially west of the Mississippi.

I do love the '09 steering wheel, and did notice the detailed molding. I think the fact it is slightly smaller (after the 350Z wheel) is one reason it does not block my view of the instrument panel (which it did on the 6th gen).

I also noticed the lightness in steering at low speeds that others have mentioned. I actually like this, but understand some drivers may not. As soon as I pick up any speed, the lightness goes away, and steering feels very natural.

As to the 6th and 7th gen engines, I haven't had this '09 above 3K rpms yet, and am going to break it in gently. I did notice that, at one place where I make a right turn from a stop onto a main state highway, and immediately have to climb a long hill, the '09 clearly picked up more quickly than my 6th gen, and yet the RPMs stayed around 1700. In my 5 speed auto tranny 6th gen, the engine rpms were around 2500 at this same location. That really got my attention.

I plan to be very slow in quoting any MPG figures, as there are many (I listed 46 on this site back around 2003 or 4) variables involved, especially when using only one or two tanks. But I will be watching. The time will come.

Thanks for your interest in my experiences with this beautiful new beast.

rkurlander and Compusmurf - Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:49 AM

Light- glad to hear you modify the way you hold the steering wheel when the need arises. Habits are difficult to break; but some of them can put you at a downright disadvantage when it comes to accident avoidence or performance driving. You also make a good point about breaking in your VQ carefully--your Max will thank you later.

I know you'll be watching your MPG like a hawk. While I don't expect it to be lightyears better than your last Maxima, your comparative experience should prove enlightening.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:55 AM

Front seat headroom is very good for me (6'11").
Wow Light - I had no idea you were such a FREAK!!!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:35 PM

Congrats on the car lightonthehill. Its really awesome.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:14 PM

i really like the steering wheel
Old 01-12-2009, 06:35 PM

I love everything about the new Maxima. I drove MANY cars in the 30-45k range and the Maxima was the only one that I wanted just from the test drive. Great car and it felt like an easy decision.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:03 PM
brotherhood of tq

Originally Posted by mls277
I love everything about the new Maxima. I drove MANY cars in the 30-45k range and the Maxima was the only one that I wanted just from the test drive. Great car and it felt like an easy decision.
out of the 335i, g8, cts, c class, a4, a5, various jags, various volvos, and more....

the maxima is the only one you wanted out of all of them?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:41 PM

yes, actually. Best bang for the buck. Only car I wanted as much was the 08 C6 Vette that I drove, but the Maxima had more to offer than just power.

And I wouldn't buy a Mercedes....BMW I would consider but I don't love it. M3 is the only BMW I'm interested in.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
Wow Light - I had no idea you were such a FREAK!!!

OOPS! TYPO! I am only 5' 11". Had I been 6' 11", the headroom would have been much tighter. Sorry.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:08 AM

Never moved my new baby today (used the truck). I spent hours reading the Owners Manual (many more hours to go - this thing is hundreds of pages long). Lots of interesting things. Also lots of 'butt covering'; for instance, in the section discussing the power outlets in the console, the manual says:

'Avoid using power outlets when the air conditioning or headlights or rear window defroster is on.'

I suppose that means no charging my cell phone during the summer (AC on), or winter mornings (rear defroster on), or during rain (headlights on) or at night (headlights on). Maybe I can charge my cell on winter afternoons? For just a few minutes? Please?
Old 01-17-2009, 06:05 PM

Brought home my shiny new max today. White SV Sport with tech package. Probably the best looking car I've ever owned. Thanks to all of you for helping me make an informed decision!
Old 01-17-2009, 06:21 PM

With the weather we have in the northeast (cold), its hard to learn all the features of the car.

I manage to get the IPOD to work. Homelink too. Bluetooth is next on my list.

The best feature of all is the performance. My car is still in the break in period so the majority of the torque curve is off limits. Even so, I find it hard not to reach 70-75 mph. Mileage for the first tank looks like it will come in at 25 mpg. Not too shabby.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:42 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by SoonerGuy
Brought home my shiny new max today. White SV Sport with tech package. Probably the best looking car I've ever owned. Thanks to all of you for helping me make an informed decision!

Congrats, SoonerGuy! Nice color. Will be especially good when endless summer days approach 100 degrees, and just looking at a dark car in the parking lot will burn blisters on your eyeballs. White is a very visible color, even in poor lighting conditions. Doesn't show dirt very much, either. Of course I am prejudiced, as my '09 is also white.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:15 AM

Congrats, SoonerGuy! Nice color. Will be especially good when endless summer days approach 100 degrees, and just looking at a dark car in the parking lot will burn blisters on your eyeballs. White is a very visible color, even in poor lighting conditions. Doesn't show dirt very much, either. Of course I am prejudiced, as my '09 is also white.
Thanks, light. Your observations about the Maxima have been very informative for me. I agree about the summertime issues with color! The summer here in Oklahoma is very much like that in Georgia. Plenty of 100 degree days and very high humidity (I live in the wooded eastern half of the Sooner State).

I ended up choosing the Frost interior as the black just made me sweat looking at it. Time will tell if the light gray will wear well.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerGuy
I ended up choosing the Frost interior as the black just made me sweat looking at it. Time will tell if the light gray will wear well.

Rest easy with the Frost interior. Because of the oppressive heat here in the deep south, I have had Frost leather in every Maxima from my first '85 through my '04, and I never had any upholstery problem with any of them. I wanted very much to have Frost in my '09, but Nissan does not have Frost as an option with the '09 Premium package. I settled for Cafe Latte, which is actually lighter than the brochures made it look, and I am very happy with it.

I feel sure you will be very happy with your Frost interior.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:46 PM

ya know, i travel a lot and once i saw that national had the 09s i switched from avis so i could rent the 09s...my first rental was in omaha, ne i had to drive to grand island and then to lincoln then back up to omaha...decent amount of driving...i love the car, looks nice (the hood looks kind neat when your inside the car)...however i just wasnt 100% impressed with the drivability of the 09...maybe its tainted because its a rental...but i doubt that...im sure with some mods and what not they will be awesome! i also had the chance to rent the new fx35....i must say, never again, the steering is really tight and not as responsive as i had thought....i like the back up camera tho lol...to all who own a 09 max have fun!
Old 01-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This is my first post on this forum, great job on this site. I have been reading posts here for a while as I have always owed Nissan's or Infiniti's.

I just bought my 09 Maxima SV with SportTech, WinterFrost with black/charcoal interior, loaded. All I can say is I love this car, I love the way it looks, very aggressive styling and clean lines, the way it drives, I love that it is bursting at the seams with options and value and the quality of materials is superior to the G35 and approaching that of the Infiniti M, IMO.

Acceleration is superb, particularly passing power on the express way. Handling and Steering is VERY precise, very little is given up with the FWD in the handling department. The seats are amazingly comfortable, the sound system w/ audio hard drive is primo and the navigation system is great.

When I was shopping for a new car, my first stop was to my Infiniti dealer, I was driving a 2004 I35 w/ nav, loaded and looking for something that was as good of a vehicle. I test drove the G35, it drove great, but I did not like the G35's interior at all, I thought the quality of materials left much to be desired, at least that was my reaction.

I liked the interior and ride of the M35, but I was not thrilled about the exterior styling, particularly the rear, and for the price tag, I had to be in-love with the car to pony up that kind of dough, which eliminated the M45 as well.

That is when I saw the Maxima, and I knew instantly this was going to be my next car. I did not have any hang-ups about not having the Infiniti badge, this is an absolutely amazing car in every respect
with the quality of an Infiniti M.

Thanks for reading.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by g_jammer

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for posting.

Your feelings about the G35 and M35 were very similar to mine. And your putting the performance and features of the car above the badge is exactly what I did. For me, the Maxima was easily the best fit in every way.

I realize you have 'lurked' here, so instead of welcoming you to the board, I will simply welcome you to the family of '09 Maxima owners.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by g_jammer
This is my first post on this forum, great job on this site. I have been reading posts here for a while as I have always owed Nissan's or Infiniti's.

I just bought my 09 Maxima SV with SportTech, WinterFrost with black/charcoal interior, loaded. All I can say is I love this car, I love the way it looks, very aggressive styling and clean lines, the way it drives, I love that it is bursting at the seams with options and value and the quality of materials is superior to the G35 and approaching that of the Infiniti M, IMO.

Acceleration is superb, particularly passing power on the express way. Handling and Steering is VERY precise, very little is given up with the FWD in the handling department. The seats are amazingly comfortable, the sound system w/ audio hard drive is primo and the navigation system is great.

When I was shopping for a new car, my first stop was to my Infiniti dealer, I was driving a 2004 I35 w/ nav, loaded and looking for something that was as good of a vehicle. I test drove the G35, it drove great, but I did not like the G35's interior at all, I thought the quality of materials left much to be desired, at least that was my reaction.

I liked the interior and ride of the M35, but I was not thrilled about the exterior styling, particularly the rear, and for the price tag, I had to be in-love with the car to pony up that kind of dough, which eliminated the M45 as well.

That is when I saw the Maxima, and I knew instantly this was going to be my next car. I did not have any hang-ups about not having the Infiniti badge, this is an absolutely amazing car in every respect
with the quality of an Infiniti M.

Thanks for reading.
Well, time for me to jump back into the Org. I've been gone for several years and find myself seriously looking for an '09 as we speak.

My wife drives an '04 G35 and I am returning my leased FX35 on Friday so your comments about Infiniti hit close to home. You are 100% right about the the Infiniti badge. I really don't care if it's there or not. The new G is ok but I'm not thrilled (this applies to BMW 3 and Audi A4 as well). The M is just too far out of the price range for what I will pay for a car (I only got the FX because the lease deal was very cheap).

I used to own 944 Turbos back in the '80's and believe it or not the new Max reminds me of the curves on the sides of that car. And that's a very good thing. I haven't driven the '09 yet but will very soon and then we'll see......
Old 01-21-2009, 11:47 AM

The 944 turbo comparison is a valid one for the A36 Maxima IMHO. Those rear quarterpanels really flare out and some have stated it makes the Max look like a RWD vehicle. Speaking of comparisons, does anyone remember the factory BMW 3.0 CSL racecars of the mid-to-late 80's? They were one of the first to use 'blister' flares to functionally cover wider wheels and tires. Porsche followed suit with the 944 and many others (including Nissan) have refined this styling "trick" to a high degree.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for posting.
I realize you have 'lurked' here, so instead of welcoming you to the board, I will simply welcome you to the family of '09 Maxima owners.
Thanks for the welcome.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:35 AM

Another Newbie with a new Maxima

Just bought my our 2009 Maxima SV navy blue exterior, café latte interior with premium package one week ago today.

What a sweet car! I became a Nissan fan when they were still calling themselves Datsun with an ’83 280ZX. I beat that car hard for about 140,000 miles and the drive train was still running perfect when I had to trade for something that had doors that would open. Had a Pathfinder, and 2 more recent Z’s, but then got away from Nissan for about 10 years. We got this as our family car and the wife’s daily driver.

We spent half a day last Saturday in the garage playing with all the toys. I really like the 2 driver’s memory positions, and that each driver can have their own position for the outside mirrors even in reverse. Also like the backup camera, but that takes some getting used to for me. Heated (and cooled) driver’s seat, heated steering wheel, power tilt/telescoping column, auto entry/Exit system HUGE dual panel moon roof, iPod interface with 7” screen, Bluetooth phone system. Wow, that’s a lot of toys to set up. Did I mention that you can run the battery down enough in about 3 hours of playing with electrical accessories, that the push button ignition system only makes a nasty noise and won’t start the car?

The ride is excellent, and the handling feels very good, but I have not pushed it yet. Visibility all around is good and I really like the look of the rear fender “shoulders” out the side mirrors. Fit, finish and “feel” is excellent. The look and function of the interior is great, and nothing looks or feels cheap or out of place in this car. I love that the exterior styling doesn’t look like every other car on the road but still works and identifies it as a Nissan. This is my first every CVT, and I’m going to have to reserve judgment on that until I’ve had more time with it. There is nothing wrong with it, but it feels and sounds so different from anything I’ve ever driven, that is seems “weird” so far.

Thanks for a nice site and discussion forum. I’ve picked up some great info by lurking for a couple of days so I just registered today. Thanks for letting me ramble on about our GREAT new car!
Old 01-22-2009, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by BlueMax
Just bought my our 2009 Maxima SV navy blue exterior, café latte interior with premium package one week ago today.
My new Max is the same as your car except for the charcoal interior. It will take you some time to get a grip on all the features. I am still a neophyte having owned the car for only 3 weeks. Your post mirrors my sentiments. It is one sweet car.

I cannot wait for the break-in chaperone leaves me and I really see what the car can do.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:21 PM

BlueMax - Great first post! Hope you have many happy days with your beautiful new toy, and many enjoyable and informative hours here on the ORG with folks who share your taste in cars.

Your post says many of the things I have been feeling (got my frost/latte/premium/tech two weeks ago today). Believe it or not, I have not had my car above 60 MPH or 3500 RPMs yet. In fact, I have only reached 3000 RPMs once. I have been careful to not play with electrical things more than 20 minutes or so without running the engine. I hope to post my feelings (positive and negative) on many aspects of this car after I have had a chance to take a freeway trip or two.

My biggest problem so far is that, although I park way out in an open area, invariably, when I return to the car, there is a cluster of vehicles that have 'coincidentally' parked around me. I guess those folks aren't seeing many '09 Maximas on the road.

If I lived in a cool climate, blue with latte could easily have been my choice; definitely a very nice combination of colors. Drive happy!
Old 01-22-2009, 08:44 PM

Talking

What a sweet car! I became a Nissan fan when they were still calling themselves Datsun with an ’83 280ZX. I beat that car hard for about 140,000 miles and the drive train was still running perfect when I had to trade for something that had doors that would open. Had a Pathfinder, and 2 more recent Z’s, but then got away from Nissan for about 10 years. We got this as our family car and the wife’s daily driver.

We spent half a day last Saturday in the garage playing with all the toys. I really like the 2 driver’s memory positions, and that each driver can have their own position for the outside mirrors even in reverse. Also like the backup camera, but that takes some getting used to for me. Heated (and cooled) driver’s seat, heated steering wheel, power tilt/telescoping column, auto entry/Exit system HUGE dual panel moon roof, iPod interface with 7” screen, Bluetooth phone system. Wow, that’s a lot of toys to set up. Did I mention that you can run the battery down enough in about 3 hours of playing with electrical accessories, that the push button ignition system only makes a nasty noise and won’t start the car?

The ride is excellent, and the handling feels very good, but I have not pushed it yet. Visibility all around is good and I really like the look of the rear fender “shoulders” out the side mirrors. Fit, finish and “feel” is excellent. The look and function of the interior is great, and nothing looks or feels cheap or out of place in this car. I love that the exterior styling doesn’t look like every other car on the road but still works and identifies it as a Nissan. This is my first every CVT, and I’m going to have to reserve judgment on that until I’ve had more time with it. There is nothing wrong with it, but it feels and sounds so different from anything I’ve ever driven, that is seems “weird” so far.

Thanks for a nice site and discussion forum. I’ve picked up some great info by lurking for a couple of days so I just registered today. Thanks for letting me ramble on about our GREAT new car!
Congrats on the new ride to you and to all those who have recently acquired an 09, this car is awesome and it turns heads whenever you drive it down the road.

The only thing I have to say in regards to the "sound" is that in reality you really do not "hear" the CVT/Exhaust at all, what you really hear is the "Sound Generator" that Nissan uses in the car in order for us to be able to hear the engine or exhaust.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
The only thing I have to say in regards to the "sound" is that in reality you really do not "hear" the CVT/Exhaust at all, what you really hear is the "Sound Generator" that Nissan uses in the car in order for us to be able to hear the engine or exhaust.

Yes. Nissan said that in testing the very early versions of the '09, they found there was no sound from the power train entering the cabin, and they felt that was more like a Cadillac or Buick than a '4DSC'. So they put in a device to convert sounds from the manifold into a pleasant, sporty noise inside the cabin. Wisely, they did this in a way that is not really noticable unless we push the gas pedal fairly firmly.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:26 AM

CT Maxima,

The first dealer I talked to tried to tell me that blue was only available with the charcoal interior. "The darker colors all come with a dark interior." I found the one I bought later that same day at another dealer. I got a much better deal there anyway.

I hear you about the "break-in chaperone". Since your Max is a week older, maybe you will get to play before I do. Let me know how it goes?
Old 01-23-2009, 09:49 AM

lightonthehill

Thanks for the good wishes. It sure seems like this will be a fun car. I can't say I haven't been above 60MPH, but I haven't been over 3500. (I can't drive 55.)

I knew we were pushing our luck playing with accessories without the engine running, but I just had to check out one more thing... My wife actually saw a battery low warning, but since we were playing with the iPod, she said she thought it was warning about the iPod. She's only blonde part time.

You and bk2k3max talking about the "Sound Generator". You are both right about what I'm hearing and not hearing. But seeing the tach move up, and hearing the engine note change in a way that seems disconnected from from the vehicle speed, well, it just ain't right. I've been driving for a long time and change is hard for us old guys.

I think I'll really like it when I get over myself, but I was just beginning to accept that an automatic transmission may be a good idea on a family car.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:48 PM

whats up guy i picked up my 09 maxima sport tech radiant silver and i love it beutiful car
Old 01-23-2009, 03:50 PM

must pick one up serious you only live once.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by DubbedQ45
OK guys, I have been away for a couple weeks. I poked around some of the threads and have seen a couple people picked up 09's.

What do you think of them after a couple real miles not just a 10 minute test drive?
Any mods right out of the box?
Even though its a brand new car, how was the dealer with pricing since the auto industry is in the tank?

Throw up some pics!

Thanks guys,
Q
must get the 09 maxima
Old 01-23-2009, 04:03 PM

4k i dont think so! go to another dealer
Old 01-23-2009, 07:12 PM

CT Maxima,

The first dealer I talked to tried to tell me that blue was only available with the charcoal interior. "The darker colors all come with a dark interior." I found the one I bought later that same day at another dealer. I got a much better deal there anyway.

I hear you about the "break-in chaperone". Since your Max is a week older, maybe you will get to play before I do. Let me know how it goes?
Navy Blue is only avalibile with the charcol interior if you opt for the sport package.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:01 AM

I am looking into purchasing an 09 Max Black/Charcoal with Sport and Tech package. I have an 05 TSX with 90000 miles on it in good condition. If I go buy what Kelly Blue Book says I am upside down about $8000. I am looking to put about $5000 down. What do you guys think I should be paying for this setup?

Quick Reply: OK, Who Bought One? What do you think?