7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

OK, Who Bought One? What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Topend
In the mileage wars, the cars differential between highway and city is staggering.I'm getting no more then 12-14 in town and not quite double that on the highway,albeit cold weather conditions will effect the efficiency factor.Mileage will improve when I can take the winter coat off my car.
What city do you live in? I can guarantee that once I get my Maxima, I would never get over 13-15mpg driving strictly city.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Handsome

Originally Posted by choice89
I have only come across one small issue which I know was a safety design on Nissans part and that is the ability to enter information in the Navigation or phone menu while the vehicle is driving.
Are there not defeating modules for this? In the SRT8 I bought what's called a lock pick that's a piggy back unit and it allows me full function of the NAV as well as the DVD and Satellite TV Surely someones come up with something for Nissan

Originally Posted by pearle
Anyone else notice their trunk lid isn't flush/even with the body panels? My trunk lid seems to be raised up a bit higher on the drivers side.

Bah. I'm beginning to think my car was used to train people in the manufacturing process.
That's covered under warranty. Body panels can be slightly misaligned from the factory or I've heard during the shipping process. No one would know that the left side doors of the SRT were slightly out of alignment with the body when closed but as an avid detailer I caught it. Chrysler didn't bat an eye and lined them up perfectly for me, see your Nissan rep and he'll do the same.

Oh and awesome cars BTW. I love the 7th gens, post more pics
Old 02-19-2009, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by MaxMus
I'm curious what this Premium mood lighting is? Can someone explain? I'm getting a Sport model and I never really got to test the car at night to see how the interior lights work. I'd be really disappointed if this car didn't have interior lights that slowly dimmed down when you closed the doors.

The mood lighting is just a few tiny recessed lights that cast a very soft, dim glow inside the car at night. If you didn't know they were there, you probably wouldn't notice them.

The regular interior lights are normal and very functional. They do slowly dim as they are going off.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:53 AM

As always, thanks again for the swift responses light. However, i'm curious why Nissan decided to opt out of adding this to the Sport package? It seems like a low cost option to add to a car.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:40 AM

I rented one for 2 weeks, the only thing i didnt like was the top end. Going from 90 to 120 is weak. My 00 pulls harder in this area. I was using regular unleaded, maybe this has something to do with that. I was driving the base model. The interior seemed a bit cheap, maybe because it was the base model. Pickup is good, about equal with a pontiac turbo solstice. I drive the twisties to work everyday and handling is a bit soft, but predictable and stable. I can do 4 wheel drifts through the turns and control it easily.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by tbergma1
I rented one for 2 weeks, the only thing i didnt like was the top end. Going from 90 to 120 is weak. My 00 pulls harder in this area. I was using regular unleaded, maybe this has something to do with that. I was driving the base model. The interior seemed a bit cheap, maybe because it was the base model. Pickup is good, about equal with a pontiac turbo solstice. I drive the twisties to work everyday and handling is a bit soft, but predictable and stable. I can do 4 wheel drifts through the turns and control it easily.

You did 120 in an '09 Maxima using REGULAR FUEL? Shame on you. Didn't you even glance at the Owner's Manual? The ONLY time regular fuel is supposed to be in this high-compression '09 engine is when REAL gasoline (premium) is not available. And when using regular, the car is supposed to be driven VERY GENTLY until real gasoline can be found. I repeat: Shame on you.

You are one of the few to consider the '09 Maxima interior as 'cheap'. Most magazines testing the '09 found the same thing as I did: this interior is rather nice.

As to elapsed time between 90 and 120 MPH? This can only be legally done on a closed course raceway. You should not be looking at passenger cars. Try a low-slung two-seat sports car. Please do not do anything as foolish as trying this on a public highway. An accident at that speed could be catastrophic, both for you and for any innocent family you happen to destroy.

P.S. - You have a REALLY nice 5th generation Maxima.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 02-19-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by MaxMus
As always, thanks again for the swift responses light. However, i'm curious why Nissan decided to opt out of adding this to the Sport package? It seems like a low cost option to add to a car.

I would guess that Nissan considered the 'mood lights' to be sort of a soft or plush type thing that does not belong in what is supposed to be a tough sports version of the Maxima. Had I been in on the decision, I would have had the mood lights in the Sport package, but either not mentioned them in the writeup, or called them 'glowlights' or something with a sporty sound.

But, as I said, unless you hunt for them, I doubt you would ever notice them. They certainly aren't any big deal. Actually, they aren't even a little deal.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:21 AM

More mileage

We got 29.1 actual on the way from Gulf Shores to Franklin, Tennessee. The rest of the way was 25.1 due to a stiff NW wind and frickin 93 octane ethanol blend sold in Tn.

A light foot around town makes the car a gas miser for me. My worst tank ever was 23.2. If it could be driven at a steady 55, I think it would do about 33 MPG...the key is a light foot. Don't blame the car if your mileage isn't up to it's rating. It will beat that rating easily if driven carefully.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by tbergma1
Another entry to my list of why I will not buy a used car, much less a rental.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:24 AM

I posted this in the How Much Did you Pay thread and rambled on quite a bit more than the price I paid.

Well, my baby has arrived today. I originally negotiated to get a Winter Frost with Charcoal interior Sport + Tech, but after reading multiple reviews on this board about how pretty the White looked with the Black Dual Panel roof, I decided to see one for myself in person.

One look at this car and I knew it was coming home with me. My Sport + Tech was negotiated down to $33.5K, so my salesman just added $700 additional for a total of $34.2K, which is not too bad. So here I have a Winter Frost/Charcoal Premium with Splash, Mats, and the spoiler (it was on the car already), which gives it that additional little aggressive pop.

The car rides phenomenally. It definitely uses some suspension components from the M35/45 line because it rides almost idential to my M35x, but just a tad smoother. Bumps are much more sileneced than on my M35x. Road imperfections now just created a hushed thud, rather than a moderate banging type of noise (am I getting old or something, I actualy prefer a quiet ride now?).

The CVT. This i'm going to have to get used to with time. It is extremely smooth and knows just the right gear. My M used to buck and hop sometimes in the lower gear ranges. Driving with the CVT takes some understanding because in cars with normal automatics, if you depress the accelerator, Revs build up until you've reached your desired speed. Not so on the CVT. When you depress the accelerator, Revs climb a little, but then the CVT programming immediately changes the gear (I know, no gears on a CVT) ratio, which makes the Revs fall, and from what I can hear, the engine starts to lug slightly. Really disconcerting when you expect the engine speed to go higher as you're accelerating.

Now that I understand the logic, I can appreciate the idea behind this transmission and now know what to expect out of it. Notice if you depress the accelerator a little bit more than normal, the engine speed will stay higher slightly longer before dropping the engine speed. Pretty cool. Amazingly enough for my first tank, i'm getting close to 20 mpg. I'll keep a closer eye out on fuel economy but things are actually looking promising in this area.

Well, sorry for the rambling. I just needed to tell my Maxima brethren that I am back in the family full time now. I also must commend Nissan for building such a high quality Maxima, and IMHO, the best Maxima I have ever driven in the last 8 years I've owned them. Nothing out there beats this Maxima in value for the money. Nothing.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My mom bought the 'S' and she loves it. She gets so many compliments on how the car looks. I mean the thing drives great but she wishes she had the fog lights and blinkers in the sideviews. I saw another guy mod his 6th gen with 7th gen sideviews and was thinking about doing that to hers. Also, she would like a pair of fog lights so that's another thing that's on the list. Other than that she has truly fallen in love with the car.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by pearle
I think I have figured out my last rattle problem. The dealership fixed the loose console problem (it still wiggles but isn't as bad) that I posted about previously but they could not find the other rattle I was hearing.

Turns out it was something loose in the roof near the sunroof. I poked around a bit and I haven't heard it since. My car has a lot of give in the ceiling and I can push up quite a bit on the ceiling fabric. Anyone else notice this? There is also a big gap between the ceiling portion and the rear window. I can almost stick my finger in the gap.
I definitely noticed the gap... Also, when going around a corner, my sunroof (I have the full glass roof- SV with Prem) creaks... Dealer put some silicone lubricant on it and it seems to have diminished the noise somewhat.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:28 PM

The squeaks and rattles are getting much worse now. The cowl around the instrument panel squeaks all the time and so does the door panel. My seat vibrates side to side and makes a rattling noise that is very annoying.

Kinda regretting this purchase.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:54 PM

I thought that I would post this information here. I have factory ordered my Nissan Maxima and it's due to arrive within a few weeks. I downloaded the User Manual's in advance and wanted to see what iPods worked and didn't. The 6th Generation Classic is not on the list of compatible models. I managed to snag one of the last 160GB I could find and took it to the dealer to test. It does work as one would imagine. So if anyone is wondering if they should get a 160GB iPod while they can so they can be a mobile DJ, the answer is YES!
Old 02-26-2009, 07:08 PM

After going from used car to used car, I finally decided to buy a new car. Considering all the incentives(also a new home owner), it seemed like the perfect time. The purchase did not take me long. I had been considering a Nissan Altima for some time now, and went do the dealership to test drive one. However, they did not have any 3.5s in, so what else did I do? Well I test drove a Maxima

Needless to say I was instantly hooked. There was no looking back from me. Coming from a manual, I actually like the feel and response to the CVT transmission, and enjoy the quick response when using the manual mode. Of all the cars I've driven or owned, the interior of the Maxima is by far the best. The steering wheel feels sporty, the gages are in well placed positions, and the dash is great.

I have the SV Premium + Tech package. The mood lighting is subtle and adds a nice effect, and the navi system is simple to use and has plenty of options. I have my iPod hooked up and it interfaces with the system perfectly. My iPhone is connected via Bluetooth, and after a call using voice activation I found it to be simple to use and quite intuative.

Oh also, because the iPhone 3g changed around how the pins work, the cable that comes with the car WILL NOT charge the iPhone. I haven't found a cable that will work, but I haven't looked very hard either. I'm sure there is a replacement somewhere.

The extendable seat cushion is one of the coolest little additions ever. I have never been more comfortable in a car before. Not to mention the heated/cooled drivers seat, heated steering wheel, and dual climate control. All of which are simple to use. Even with all the overwhelming features, it never distracts from driving due to its simplicity.

At this time I only have 2 complaints about it. 1.) The controls on the steering wheel stick out a little too far, and I have a tendency to bump them sometimes while doing what I like to call "palm steering." So I've got 8years of a driving habit to adjust, which really isnt a big deal. 2.) The fact that I only have 2 adjustments for the sound system(bass and treble), is shocking. This is a freaken bose system and it doesn't have a stock equalizer I can play with? bah. Though just to make it clear, the system really doesn't need an equalizer at all... but it would be nice to have.

Last edited by Xeross; 02-26-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:38 AM

Xeross - I hope you understand that by switching from the Altima to the Maxima, you will now have that strange feeling of eyes always watching you. Every time I glance around while in traffic, whether sitting or moving, someone is watching my Maxima instead of the road. This can be dangerous. You do understand the increased risk you will now bear? If you do any under-cover work, you should have stayed with the Altima, which blends in beautifully with the millions of other Altimas out there.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:59 AM

light - I'm already used to people being really crappy drivers that don't pay attention to the road, and you will see no complaints from me in the "not blending in" department. Stepping up to the Maxima was totally worth it
Old 02-27-2009, 06:34 AM

lol I'm guilty as charged. I stare at 7th gen Maximas all the time and sometimes the 3.5 Altimas since I don't see them too much. But the 2.5s are everywhere!!! And the 6.5 gen Maximas are everywhere too... they must've been giving those away.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:54 AM

I'm quite excited to get my 7th Gen in a few weeks. Since December I've only seen a few on the road, one was a Ink Blue that was a demo from a car dealership and the other was a Slate Gray ...

Will get a lot of looks for sure. It's such an awe inspiring view.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lirathal
Since December I've only seen a few on the road, one was a Ink Blue that was a demo from a car dealership and the other was a Slate Gray ...

After seeing only a moderate number on the road since the June 26 release, my wife and I spotted FOUR '09 Maximas on our round trip to the library yesterday. Two were actually parked in the library parking lot, so we circled by and viewed them up close. Our '09 made THREE in that parking lot at the same time.

Could that be construed as suggesting that '09 Maxima owners have an inquisitively intellectual bent? Probably not, since there were more Volks Beetles and Mini-Coopers than '09 Maximas in that lot.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:02 PM

Hi all, I'm new to the forums. I bought my Maxima on Weds. It is the Premium Package with the dual moonroofs (standard with the package). It is super black and has the spoiler. This car is smoking!

Last edited by Maxgal; 03-01-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
After seeing only a moderate number on the road since the June 26 release, my wife and I spotted FOUR '09 Maximas on our round trip to the library yesterday. Two were actually parked in the library parking lot, so we circled by and viewed them up close. Our '09 made THREE in that parking lot at the same time.

Could that be construed as suggesting that '09 Maxima owners have an inquisitively intellectual bent? Probably not, since there were more Volks Beetles and Mini-Coopers than '09 Maximas in that lot.
I think you should run with the whole intellectual thing... It's fairly accurate I would think ..

And congrats MaxGal for the purchase ... you said you have a SV Premium with a rear spoiler? I'd love to see some pictures, especially of how the brake lights are setup in the back with the spoiler brake and the third eye.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Maxgal
Hi all, I'm new to the forums. I bought my Maxima on Weds. It is the Premium Package with the dual moonroofs (standard with the package). It is super black and has the spoiler. This car is smoking!
What does VOB stand for?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Becanes
What does VOB stand for?
it's the name of a Nissan/Volvo dealership in the DC suburbs. That's where my parents bought their 84 Maxima (and the Datsun 210 before it!).
Old 03-02-2009, 11:46 AM

MaxGal ... beautiful beautiful ... can't wait to get mine
Old 03-04-2009, 05:06 PM

Thats a sexy beauty congrats MaxGal for the purchase.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:08 PM

Talking new stuff

hey guys/gals, I just got the new stillen roof wing painted so I will be installing it tomorrow if the weather nice in the york pa area. I will also post pics of the newly installed fogs. Has anyone thought about painting the inserts next to the fog lights the same color as the car? WHat do you yall think.... Also I need to drop her but not sure what springs to get......
Old 03-06-2009, 02:13 AM

I was at the carwash yesterday vacuuming the salt and dirt out of the drivers-side when a guy in line for the carwash motioned to me. He rolled down his window, as my headlights were facing him, he asked, "Is that a Max or an Altima"? I said, "Maxima". He said, "Beautiful, beautiful car".

I haven't seen very many of these on the road around here. I'm not really sure why or if they just aren't selling or what is going on around here. I guess the economy is hitting some of the businesses around here and people can't buy new cars.

In any case, the new Maxima appears to be a head turner. It's fun!
Old 03-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've recently purchased my Maxima yesterday. I bought S instead of SV in Precision Grey. I would have gone with the SV but im only a senior in highschool and with college coming up, I need to save up all I can. Still, I say I have one of the best cars in the student parking lot. I recieved many compliments and this car is a real head turner! The thing I like about it is that you don't see many around my area and I live way down south in Louisiana. I love it!
Old 03-20-2009, 12:03 AM

Love my maxima. Can't wait to get my windows tinted. Everybody makes me drive.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:21 PM

Hello,

I'm new to the forums and to Nissan. My first one. Bought a Sport/Prem/Technology/Plus with every option available.

Slate Gray with black leather interior.

I don't understand why I can't post as a new member? Strange.

Bought this car for business use. I retired my Audi RS6 to hobby duty to replace a 996TT that was getting impractical with (2) kids. The Max is my daily driver replacement. Not nearly as quick or tight but it is full of neat technology.

I'm pretty happy with the car so far. (40 miles driven)

Not happy with:

1. 16GB iPOD Nano will not charge when connected to the car via the cable in the center console. Any ideas about this? Did a search but no real solution came up.

2. GPS has that stupid legal warning like my wife's Lexus GX470. What idiot came up with this system? Some bean counter/lawyer at the corporate auto companies I'm sure. Any defeat ideas? Also searched this and nothing really is available from what I can see?

3. The passenger's seat shakes while driving. I did a search on this and it appears to be a common issue. I don't have the issue with the driver's seat (yet) others are having (rocking) but I am 6' 1" 217lbs so maybe it will present itself soon? Is Nissan addressing these seat problems soon?

I had all the badges removed yesterday and the windows tinted all around. It looks very nice. I tried to post a photo, but in my 15+ years on car forums (RennSpeed, RoadFly, AudiWorld, RS6.com) I've never seen a system that does not allow a new member to post photos and threads right away.

I'm about to order the Stillen cat-back exhaust and looking to purchase a black aftermarket upper and lower grill to replace the OEM grills. All I have seen thus far are billet units. Maybe I'll purchase one of those sets and paint them black.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Love my '09

Hiya and welcome aboard. In the forum faq it tells you why you can't post as a new member.

Also, in one of the stickies there's a link to an Iphone/Ipod thread with your fix.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:09 PM

Thanks!

I just ordered the Ridax 4th Gen Nano Charge Converter.

Last edited by CopperSMD; 03-21-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:19 AM

got mine back in sept so things in the eco was already starting to go down hill, 4k down pay which i was going to put 5k anyway. I think thats a good start off for any new car. payments monthly not bad with my bad credit i was kinda suprised. i never had a brand new whip so i'm overly happy with the performance. style of the car is a new body so heads turn anyway. LOL
mods just 35% tints and a system 12" sub just for start off i love music so i needed some knock. no pics but i will have some up shortly just got the first real clean yesterday for the first days of spring.!! i know at yesterday meet some people took pics of mine so did my mans nitecrawler n Manny plus my boy Slim rode down with me an hes always flicking it up. I didn't feel comfortable with putting any up cuz i want to put the rest of the touches on before hand but i guess plain for now will do so i can have before and after pics..
Old 03-22-2009, 07:23 AM

oh yeah

silver 09 Prem/Tech pack, pano roof, dark grey intr, rearview cam, paddle shift on steering wheel, 19" alloy highest tech pack, etc.. everything that comes with the top of the line version.
like the Kings would say, " THERE IS NONE HIGHER" LMFAO..
Old 03-24-2009, 09:55 AM

just ordered

i just ordered my Maxima sv/with Tech today from the dealership, its arriving from the plant in 10-12 days..Cant wait ! i ordered radiant silver with black interior

Last edited by whit; 03-24-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by whit
i just ordered my Maxima sv/with Tech today from the dealership, its arriving from the plant in 10-12 days..Cant wait ! i ordered radiant silver with black interior

I bet I know someone who is wishing the next ten days of their life would pass quickly!

Just a little unsolicited advice: When you pick up your car, don't get caught up in trying to make sure every little operational bell and whistle and switch and guage and bulb and latch and whatever is perfect from day one. Just so everything needed to enable you to safely and legally drive on public highways is working, you can take delivery, and proceed to enjoy.

Then, while enjoying your new car, make a list of everything you find that isn't perfect, and at some point (this can even be months after initial delivery), take your baby back in and have everything fixed under warranty in one visit. This could save making several trips back to the dealer, and having to leave you car there repeatedly.

The one very important exception to what I have just said: Check every inch of your car inside and out for any scratch, smudge, smear, whatever, in the finish, being extremely careful to check the painted areas. Once you drive off the lot, the dealer can say any such damage happened while you had the car. It isn't necessary to have this type problem fixed immediately, but, for any appearance damage, it is critical that you have something in writing to prove it was there when you took delivery.

May the next ten days pass quickly for you!
Old 03-24-2009, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lirathal
I think you should run with the whole intellectual thing... It's fairly accurate I would think ..

And congrats MaxGal for the purchase ... you said you have a SV Premium with a rear spoiler? I'd love to see some pictures, especially of how the brake lights are setup in the back with the spoiler brake and the third eye.
They remove the in-car brake light and put a small plate that matches the back deck on it.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by NCSUpilot
They remove the in-car brake light and put a small plate that matches the back deck on it.
My dealer said the light would be left and stay active :S... should I correct them and get them to remove that brake light? I did get a Premium with a Spoiler ordered.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I bet I know someone who is wishing the next ten days of their life would pass quickly!

Just a little unsolicited advice: When you pick up your car, don't get caught up in trying to make sure every little operational bell and whistle and switch and guage and bulb and latch and whatever is perfect from day one. Just so everything needed to enable you to safely and legally drive on public highways is working, you can take delivery, and proceed to enjoy.

Then, while enjoying your new car, make a list of everything you find that isn't perfect, and at some point (this can even be months after initial delivery), take your baby back in and have everything fixed under warranty in one visit. This could save making several trips back to the dealer, and having to leave you car there repeatedly.

The one very important exception to what I have just said: Check every inch of your car inside and out for any scratch, smudge, smear, whatever, in the finish, being extremely careful to check the painted areas. Once you drive off the lot, the dealer can say any such damage happened while you had the car. It isn't necessary to have this type problem fixed immediately, but, for any appearance damage, it is critical that you have something in writing to prove it was there when you took delivery.

May the next ten days pass quickly for you!
im a car freak when it comes to detail, owned several show cars and have ordered a few cars in the past from the factory. i always look them over to perfection. if unhappy i will not take delivery. But i dont expect any issue. As far as warranty problems, lets hope they built the car correct.

i wanted to order from the factory because i saw some people having issues with the seat rails and the seat moving. By ordering the car and it being built 2 weeks ago , hopefully this and other issues were resolved..
Yes i will be anxious over the next week

Quick Reply: OK, Who Bought One? What do you think?