7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Wheel Bearings already!?

Old 09-01-2011, 07:00 AM

Wheel Bearings already!?

I own a 2010 Nissan Maxima, which I purchased new in May of 2010.
Recently about a week ago I started to hear a growling noise coming from car driving around 45 miles per hour. Anything faster the engine sounds louder. At first i thought it was the dumb Goodyear RSA's making noise, so I budged and purchased new tires. I needed them anyway. No go, I was denying the fact that it could possibly be a wheel bearing. It wasn't the only issue, I would here a clunking noise when going over bumps when turning.

Just took it this morning and the dealer couldn't believe it was the wheel bearings already. They also told me I needed sway bars and strut mounts.
Im like What the? They have the parts in stock so I left the car for repair.
Its under warranty. They are doing everything is two's. So new sway, new strout mounts, and new wheel bearings.

Some quick info I have about 21k miles on it, Im not a crazy driver. Most miles are highway for work. All maintenance work is done at dealer. Even tire rotations.

Anyway have this issue or had it replaced already?

Last edited by AUDIOSPA; 09-01-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:09 AM

I can understand a wheel bearing going out prematurely (hey, things happen during production and maybe the tolerances weren't bang-on) but them saying the sway bars needed to be replaced as well?

Now... the strut mounts are a legit TSB issue. They got a bad batch of those back in July-Sept of 2009. Mine was one of the cars affected right outside that date range. I actually bought my car in April of 2010 brand new.

Good news is, they're taking care of everything under warranty.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by AUDIOSPA
Recently about a week ago I started to hear a growling noise coming from car driving around 45 miles per hour. Anything faster the engine sounds louder. At first i thought it was the dumb Goodyear RSA's making noise, so I budged and purchased new tires. I needed them anyway. No go, I was denying the fact that it could possibly be a wheel bearing. It wasn't the only issue, I would here a clunking noise when going over bumps when turning.

IK waJust took it this morning and the dealer couldn't believe it was the wheel bearings already. They also told me I needed sway bars and strut mounts.
Its under warranty. They are doing everything is two's. So new sway, new strout mounts, and new wheel bearings.

Some quick info I have about 21k miles on it, Im not a crazy driver. Most miles are highway for work. All maintenance work is done at dealer. Even tire rotations.

Similar boat, the strut mounts were shot on mine and the rear sway bar bushing were dried out as well. I think they replaced the entire strut assembly instead of tearing it apart. Same as GM Traitor3.5VQ my 2010 was 'not affected' by the recall but they went bad and were replaced under warranty. Are you sure it was the entire sway bar and not just the bushings? Mine made a nice squeak going over bumps in the early morning hours, it needed to be really cold out to do it. I don't see, short of it being parked in a pile of salt, anything going wrong with the sway bar so soon...
Old 09-01-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by vr4z06gt
Similar boat, the strut mounts were shot on mine and the rear sway bar bushing were dried out as well. I think they replaced the entire strut assembly instead of tearing it apart. Same as GM Traitor3.5VQ my 2010 was 'not affected' by the recall but they went bad and were replaced under warranty. Are you sure it was the entire sway bar and not just the bushings? Mine made a nice squeak going over bumps in the early morning hours, it needed to be really cold out to do it. I don't see, short of it being parked in a pile of salt, anything going wrong with the sway bar so soon...
Yeah, the actual sway bar going bad would surprise the hell outta me (both of mine are powdercoated ) If you've got problems with the sways squeaking, get some non-petroleum based thick grease (I found some good stuff from AutoZone by Valvoline) and just put a nice thick coating all over the inside of the sway bushings.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by GM_Traitor3.5VQ
Yeah, the actual sway bar going bad would surprise the hell outta me (both of mine are powdercoated ) If you've got problems with the sways squeaking, get some non-petroleum based thick grease (I found some good stuff from AutoZone by Valvoline) and just put a nice thick coating all over the inside of the sway bushings.
Yea, they just replaced mine, there is a TSB out for them. Why deal with the hassle of doing this every year or so when I can get brand new ones under warranty...haha
Old 09-03-2011, 08:00 PM

my car was built in april i purchased it a little more then a month ago and i just had the front wheel bearing replaced ... yeah and a new fog light ....
Old 05-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2009 Maxima Wheel Bearing

I have a 2009 Nissan Maxima with 55K miles. It had been making noises that sounded like driving on a concrete highway that has rain grooves. The noise became pronounced when driving between 40 to 65 mph, with the noise becoming louder and more intense in relation to the increase in speed. At times the noise reminded me of (ok...this really dates me) the sound of a formation of WWII bombers flying on the old 60s TV show "12 O'Clock High". After awhile, it really gets on my nerves. Started to wonder if my Eagle RSAs were part of the fault. Had one automotive shop look at it and after checked the tires they said was not a wheel bearing but could not say what it was. Some people have commented online that if it was a wheel bearing, the noise would diminish when you corner/steer away from a straight line. The noise from my car stayed constant even when cornering. Took it to my Nissan dealer, and they diagnosed and replaced the Right Front Hub and wheel bearing, covered under the drivetrain warranty. Now my Maxima is back to normal, and I am thoroughly enjoying it!!!!!!!! Just wanted to share my experience with front end noise since you hear a lt of different experiences.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by EZfrank
I have a 2009 Nissan Maxima with 55K miles. It had been making noises that sounded like driving on a concrete highway that has rain grooves. The noise became pronounced when driving between 40 to 65 mph, with the noise becoming louder and more intense in relation to the increase in speed. At times the noise reminded me of (ok...this really dates me) the sound of a formation of WWII bombers flying on the old 60s TV show "12 O'Clock High". After awhile, it really gets on my nerves. Started to wonder if my Eagle RSAs were part of the fault. Had one automotive shop look at it and after checked the tires they said was not a wheel bearing but could not say what it was. Some people have commented online that if it was a wheel bearing, the noise would diminish when you corner/steer away from a straight line. The noise from my car stayed constant even when cornering. Took it to my Nissan dealer, and they diagnosed and replaced the Right Front Hub and wheel bearing, covered under the drivetrain warranty. Now my Maxima is back to normal, and I am thoroughly enjoying it!!!!!!!! Just wanted to share my experience with front end noise since you hear a lt of different experiences.
Very good info, thanks EZfrank.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Front Bearings replaced

I just had to have my front wheel bearings replaced at 50,000 miles.

Last edited by doowop42; 11-23-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by AUDIOSPA

Just took it this morning and the dealer couldn't believe it was the wheel bearings already. They also told me I needed sway bars and strut mounts.

Wow you needed new tires with only 21k miles on them. That is some serious premature wear.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by EZfrank
Weird, I was test driving a Maxima today and it was making the same sound. I put it down to the winter tyres.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:59 PM

Front wheel bearing was just replaced at 56K. As other posters stated, you can hear it best between 55-40 mph with foot off accelerator. Low pitched whine that sounds like transmission in low gear.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:43 AM

2011 SV with 20000kms replaced wheel bearing!!
Old 12-11-2013, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by newsat65
2011 SV with 20000kms replaced wheel bearing!!
Wow, this is unusually short lifespan for these parts, I would have thought you'd get at least 160,000 km (100K miles) from OEM wheel bearings.

I wonder if all these cars with the big 18" + rims are putting a high load on the bearings? not that this shouldn't have been designed accordingly.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by vr4z06gt
Yea, they just replaced mine, there is a TSB out for them. Why deal with the hassle of doing this every year or so when I can get brand new ones under warranty...haha

Do you happen to have the TSB on this ?

My car is a 09 and I can hear the mounts going, although it is 4 yrs old with 53,000km's on it, but I do have extended warranty on it.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:17 PM

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the wheel bearings are part of the powertrain warranty.... 5 years or 60,000 miles. Just an FYI.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:15 PM

Warranty

Originally Posted by Kawowski
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the wheel bearings are part of the powertrain warranty.... 5 years or 60,000 miles. Just an FYI.
Correct... I just got in from DAVIDSON'S NISSAN in Watertown, NY and had my Hub Assembly replaced at 55K.. It was covered by the power train warranty
Old 12-17-2015, 09:41 AM

2011 Maxima, front left wheel bearing

Dec 2015. My 2011 Maxima with 40,000 miles started to have a faint helicopter sound. Like tire rubbing on wheel well. A little louder when making right turn. Vibration through the car. All four wheels checked for balance, they were good. Was the front drivers side wheel bearing assembly. Never had wheel bearing issues on cars with three times the mileage. I have a great mechanic. He said the other bearings were fine. Cost $375 total.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Hurricane05
Dec 2015. My 2011 Maxima with 40,000 miles started to have a faint helicopter sound. Like tire rubbing on wheel well. A little louder when making right turn. Vibration through the car. All four wheels checked for balance, they were good. Was the front drivers side wheel bearing assembly. Never had wheel bearing issues on cars with three times the mileage. I have a great mechanic. He said the other bearings were fine. Cost $375 total.
If you take it to Nissan it should be free as you're still inside of the 5yr/60k mile powertrain warranty
Old 12-21-2015, 10:53 AM

I have had three different wheel bearings go bad on my car. One of them had to be replaced twice! All occurred between 53-81 thousand miles on them. I didn't know that they were covered under the powertrain warranty, so they were changed at Firestone. So far so good for the past 27 thousand miles!
Old 12-12-2016, 12:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2010 Maxima. 3 wheel bearing now out in only 71K miles. First one went at 30K (right front). Dealer in Conyers GA replaced, but charged me even though I find out now that it was under warranty. He is now replacing under warranty the other 2 that are bad now (left front and right rear). Wish he would replace the left rear right away as a show of good will - seeing as there must have been a bad batch of bearing when they build this car. 75% failure don't lie. Unfortunately, not going that far for me. Tried telling me that it may have been potholes that did in my bearings. But the tires are low profile 45 series. Never any tire or rim damage from potholes. If bearing is weaker than a 45 R18 tire, then that is still a design flaw.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by JHarp
I have a 2010 Maxima. 3 wheel bearing now out in only 71K miles. First one went at 30K (right front). Dealer in Conyers GA replaced, but charged me even though I find out now that it was under warranty. He is now replacing under warranty the other 2 that are bad now (left front and right rear). Wish he would replace the left rear right away as a show of good will - seeing as there must have been a bad batch of bearing when they build this car. 75% failure don't lie. Unfortunately, not going that far for me. Tried telling me that it may have been potholes that did in my bearings. But the tires are low profile 45 series. Never any tire or rim damage from potholes. If bearing is weaker than a 45 R18 tire, then that is still a design flaw.
I was just told I have two rear out on my 2010 plus the dealer said that both LCA's were cracked??? I do not see how. Going to check myself
Old 08-23-2017, 12:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2010 Maxima S with 87K miles, bought it used a couple of weeks ago. Dealer did not disclose the fact that one rear wheel was bent, and noise coming from rear was not going to be fixable by simply balancing the tires. I bought new tires and a new wheel. Noise still there, but better. Last night I installed Timken rear wheel bearings on the rear. Noise is finally gone. First one I replaced seemed fine, which worried me. But when I got to the other side, that one was rough sounding. Now it drives quite. Glad I finally got it quite, but it was a lot of expense and time. Now I have a rattle going over bumps that I must solve... Otherwise, I really like this car!
Old 08-24-2018, 04:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2016 Platinum and have had one bearing replaced under warranty and now I am hearing the same whirring sound again. What the heck is up with the bearings they use? At least it is still under warranty now too.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'd stick with Timken brand bearings. They might cost a little more, but they last.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:31 PM

I've started noticing a bearing noise coming from the driver's front side...seems to only do it whilst turning right. I bought the car a little over a year ago (2014 Maxima SV) and it now has about 70,000 miles on it. It's a 'Certified Pre-Owned' and supposedly has a 7 year, 100,000 mile warranty, which I will be demanding my local dealer honor and fix the bearing under warranty. I expect them to ***** and moan about it, though...