8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

What would you change in the new Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016 | 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I love my brilliant silver, which has been my favorite car color for over sixty-five years (before that, almost all cars were black). I had to get the Platinum to get the goodies I wanted, which meant I could not get the Camel interior (by FAR the best interior color in my opinion). By ordering from the factory, you can also get any special lighting packages, etc, you may want at factory prices, which are lower than dealer-installed prices. The installation of those lighting packages by the dealer is not a simple task, and requires several hours labor.

You may want to check and see how long it is currently taking to get a special-order car. Sometimes it is around three months, but, over the years, I have seen folks here who sometimes had to wait over four months for their car to arrive.
I see some SRs in the color combo I like, but 30-40 miles away which means a dealer swap, and I'm not sure the dealers are going to give me a good discount on a car that has to be traded for vs. one on the lot.
Old 01-19-2016 | 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by mls277
I see some SRs in the color combo I like, but 30-40 miles away which means a dealer swap, and I'm not sure the dealers are going to give me a good discount on a car that has to be traded for vs. one on the lot.
That is certainly a consideration. It so happens that I found the last three Maximas I have purchased (an '04, an '09 and a '16) at dealers between forty and 85 miles from my dealer, and my dealer's internet manager traded for them so I could deal strictly with my dealer in getting the car prepped and having the options added that I wanted. That may have been a factor in having my first few offers for a 2016 lead nowhere. But I felt I finally got a very reasonable deal, and love my 2016.

But I did have the advantage of knowing my dealership's owner as well as quite a few employees there, and have dealt with them exclusively for all service (including tires and batteries) and sales for over twenty years. I have also referred customers there, and make sure they get copies of the JD Powers reports and Nissan questionaires I fill out and reply to. Yes, I am a 'brown noser' of the worst sort when it comes to getting a step up in car buying.
Old 01-19-2016 | 01:17 PM

I'm going to make a request of them to "find" my car.
Old 01-19-2016 | 02:39 PM

I knew what I wanted and "built" my car on the Nissan site. I took it into them and said I wanted to special order that exact car. They said okay and then asked if it would be okay if they found the car at another dealer and then added the missing accessories for the msrp of the car I ordered. I said yes and they offered to install them on their dime. They gave me KBB for my trade in very good condition, which is just what I asked for. This was back in June, so I was happy paying msrp. They found the car in another state about 300 miles away (Bordeaux Black Platinum) and traded with that dealer for it. They paid the transportation and the installation of the premium wheels, rocker panel moldings, rear bumper diffuser and a few other small things.
Old 01-19-2016 | 03:22 PM

Im leaning heavy on a Silver SR with camel interior with the black optional wheels and no spoiler..or a premium spoiler instead of the sport (which i just don't think looks as nice). Just have a feeling its gonna cost me vs. taking something off a lot directly.
Old 01-19-2016 | 09:28 PM

I'd like another inch of interior height.
Convert to Android Auto.
Add a dome light.
Add a 12 volt plug for rear seats.
Passenger seat ejection button in gear shifter.
Old 01-20-2016 | 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dano2016
I'd like another inch of interior height.
Convert to Android Auto.
Add a dome light.
Add a 12 volt plug for rear seats.
Passenger seat ejection button in gear shifter.
Yes, Android Auto!!!
Old 01-20-2016 | 07:20 AM

Heads up Display, more lighting in the trunk
Old 01-23-2016 | 11:10 AM

Anyone have the optional 19" black SR wheels and a picture of it?

Down to two configurations:
Silver/Camel SR with no spoiler, but 19" upgraded black wheel option.
Silver/Charcooal Platinum with the 18" upgraded wheels, premium spoiler (or could I have the dealer swap the black 19" wheels on here?)

I'm just not sure the 18" wheels are going to look ok- my 7th gen has the 19"s and i feel like it really made the car stand out as a 4DSC vs the 18s that looked small on the 7th.
Old 01-26-2016 | 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by shrews824
The one complaint that seems to bug me more so than others is the fact that if the car is running and I open the door to get out and check the mail or something and don't turn the car off the seat does not retract. It stays in the "driving" position and I have a hard time getting in an out with the seat so far up. My wife's car retracts the seat all the way back when the door is opened and the car is running and it's so much easier. Other than that I love my Maxima. All of my other gripes are minimal.
LOL this is my No. 1 complaint too ...... it drives me nuts
Old 01-28-2016 | 08:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Might seem silly, but I wish they would have added clothes hooks in the back.
Old 01-28-2016 | 12:04 PM

I'd change the seats. I have Recaros in my car and wish the Maxima seats had better side and leg support for more of a snug fit. The Maxima is my wife's car and she feels somewhat the same but is OK with the seats as is.
Old 01-28-2016 | 06:15 PM

i love our seats
Old 01-29-2016 | 02:10 AM

My wife was driving today, so I was in the front passenger seat playing with the buttons (there is a lot to learn with this car), and understood yet again why my wife is always wishing she could raise the passenger seat. The seats are exceptionally comfortable, but I like to be able to see out the window, and at 5' 11", I have trouble seeing out of the front passenger seat. My wife is 5" shorter than me, so sees even less when sitting in the passenger seat.
Old 01-29-2016 | 10:46 AM

My wife was driving today, so I was in the front passenger seat playing with the buttons (there is a lot to learn with this car), and understood yet again why my wife is always wishing she could raise the passenger seat. The seats are exceptionally comfortable, but I like to be able to see out the window, and at 5' 11", I have trouble seeing out of the front passenger seat. My wife is 5" shorter than me, so sees even less when sitting in the passenger seat.
Reminds me of the Genesis when it first came out - no height adjustment for the passenger seat and it was set too low. Hyundai got tons of negative comments about that, and I think the newer model has it.

Hard to believe Nissan would make the same mistake.

Old 01-29-2016 | 12:22 PM

A couple of minor things I would change if I could...

I don't have any real complaints. Some things could work more to my liking, but they may be just as others wish. For me, the one thing I run into that annoys the he|| out of me (well, 2 related things) are that the car completely powers down when I stop the engine. It's a pain to have to reset everything in order to get out if I want the radio on. The 2nd part of this perspective is when I am sitting in the car listening to the radio, it constantly wants to "shut down to save power". Really? I can't have 30 minutes of radio while I'm thinking up how to explain where the heck I was all day?

Truly, I want the radio to stay on at least until I open the door. I guess I was a little spoiled in the ATS I traded in... things are different in the Nissan.

No hard edge to these observation, just minor annoyances I can live with.

Let me add here that I have had my car for only a week. If there is some way to change these things, I haven't found it yet. I am plowing through the manual for something every day, so maybe I find some tricks!
Old 02-02-2016 | 11:46 AM

Just remembered something else as I was driving early this morning. The old driving standard was to grip the steering wheel at the 10:00 and 2:00 positions. That was the suggested way from the 1940s until around the 1980s, at which time automotive 'experts' suggested holding at the 8:00 and 4:00 positions allowed quicker response with greater steering wheel travel in an emergency.

I found that interesting, because I had switched to the 8:00 and 4:00 positions back in the late 1960s because it left my arms less tired when I was doing a lot of coast-to-coast driving, and I had also noted that I had a quicker response to emergencies, as well as the ability to turn the steering wheel further and faster than when I used the 10:00 and 2:00 positions.

And where is this headed? The steering wheel heater on the 8th gen Maxima heats the upper half of the wheel very nicely, but does not do nearly as well on the lower half, with the inner portion (toward the horn button) not warming at all until I have been on the road for some time. So it stays cold where I grip it for the first quarter hour or so.
Old 02-03-2016 | 11:03 AM

that can be toggled on or off - the mirror selection switch, i think if its in the middle, you mirrors tilt down, if its toggled to the left or right, they won't......or vice versa
Old 02-03-2016 | 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by cbrysoncartet
that can be toggled on or off - the mirror selection switch, i think if its in the middle, you mirrors tilt down, if its toggled to the left or right, they won't......or vice versa
I assume you are responding to some earlier post in this multi-faceted thread, but not sure which one.

But, in your response, the answer is - It is vice-versa. Mirror switch must be to the left or right for mirrors to drop down when we shift to reverse.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 02-03-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-04-2016 | 06:52 AM

I assume you are responding to some earlier post in this multi-faceted thread, but not sure which one.

But, in your response, the answer is - It is vice-versa. Mirror switch must be to the left or right for mirrors to drop down when we shift to reverse.
Light - how goes the move and sale??
Old 02-04-2016 | 07:34 AM

More wheel options, 12v socket in trunk, a real floor that is easy to pop up in the trunk (access the spare tire). Options for trim pieces inside (ex. Platinum only comes with wood). Coordinate all interior trim (Platinum comes with some wood, some gloss black and then silver around the vents and other places). An actual emergency brake lever opposed to the push brake.

Love my 2016 Platinum, just things I would add/change.
Old 02-04-2016 | 11:29 AM

Yes it was a previous post that I selected reply to...guess that doesn't work quite the same as some other forums. They made a statement about changing where their side mirrors tilt down while in reverse.
Old 02-04-2016 | 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
Light - how goes the move and sale??
We have almost completed the move. Have been in the new home since Oct 20. Had electricians into the old home two days at $90 per hour. We had some strange wiring problems (such as attic ventilator fans operating off the junction box for the large Casablanca ceiling fan in the den, which already had two light switches and two rheastat controlled fan dials). I had already replaced two of the six outside sensor-controlled floodlight arrays. We are now getting ready to pressure wash the 300 foot drive . . a lot of fun in cold weather. We just finished regrouting and recaulking the tubs and showers. We should have it on the market later this month.

Love our new home, and our new neighbors love my 2016 Maxima (they are all in Caddys and Lincolns and SUVs, etc, so the Maxima is a real change of pace).

Hint - Never save things you don't think you will need. I have tossed over 1500 maps from my collection, saving mostly maps from before 1960. We have reduced our wardrobe from seven full closets to four full closets (we only have four closets now). Folks at Goodwill, Good Samaritans, Christian City, the county landfill, the recycle facilities, etc, all know us by first name. They should, as we darken their doors almost daily.
Old 02-05-2016 | 01:11 PM

We have almost completed the move. Have been in the new home since Oct 20. Had electricians into the old home two days at $90 per hour. We had some strange wiring problems (such as attic ventilator fans operating off the junction box for the large Casablanca ceiling fan in the den, which already had two light switches and two rheastat controlled fan dials). I had already replaced two of the six outside sensor-controlled floodlight arrays. We are now getting ready to pressure wash the 300 foot drive . . a lot of fun in cold weather. We just finished regrouting and recaulking the tubs and showers. We should have it on the market later this month.

Love our new home, and our new neighbors love my 2016 Maxima (they are all in Caddys and Lincolns and SUVs, etc, so the Maxima is a real change of pace).

Hint - Never save things you don't think you will need. I have tossed over 1500 maps from my collection, saving mostly maps from before 1960. We have reduced our wardrobe from seven full closets to four full closets (we only have four closets now). Folks at Goodwill, Good Samaritans, Christian City, the county landfill, the recycle facilities, etc, all know us by first name. They should, as we darken their doors almost daily.
I wish my dear wife would listen to this advice. I've tried and tried to tell her that if she hasn't used something in the last 5 years, she doesn't need it and we should get rid of it. But women seem to get attached to 'things', and just don't want to let them go.

The day finally comes when they'll HAVE to, though, and I just hope that day doesn't involve a funeral home.