8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 05:40 PM
Dw3
Newbie - Just Registered

Newbie here quick question.

i found a 2017 Maxima OEM radio at a salvage yard. Will I be able to take the stock radio from 16 maxima and replace it with the 17 radio? Will the harness match up exactly or will I have to add new USBs, new microphones etc?
Old 07-05-2017, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Dw3
Newbie here quick question.

i found a 2017 Maxima OEM radio at a salvage yard. Will I be able to take the stock radio from 16 maxima and replace it with the 17 radio? Will the harness match up exactly or will I have to add new USBs, new microphones etc?
if you want to know if the plugs match, find photo's of backs of the units and compare. I use eBay for stuff like that.
Since Nissan claims that there is added hardware associated with apple car play, you will likely need more than just the radio.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:27 AM
Dw3
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maxud
if you want to know if the plugs match, find photo's of backs of the units and compare. I use eBay for stuff like that.
Since Nissan claims that there is added hardware associated with apple car play, you will likely need more than just the radio.

Just called the dealership. It won't fit my 2016 because mine was produced in may of 2015. I guess some internal parts changed later on in production. The parts manager did say it would be a exact swap on the S and SV models depending on the date of production.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dw3
Just called the dealership. It won't fit my 2016 because mine was produced in may of 2015. I guess some internal parts changed later on in production. The parts manager did say it would be a exact swap on the S and SV models depending on the date of production.
that does not sound right. Go to Nissan parts site and look for a head unit.
Is there two different part numbers based on production date? If not, parts manager is full of ****.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:40 AM
Dw3
Newbie - Just Registered

that does not sound right. Go to Nissan parts site and look for a head unit.
Is there two different part numbers based on production date? If not, parts manager is full of ****.

How can I check the date of production for myself?
Old 07-05-2017, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dw3

How can I check the date of production for myself?
open driver door and look at the B-pillar sticker. It will have production date.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:52 AM
Dw3
Newbie - Just Registered

open driver door and look at the B-pillar sticker. It will have production date.
5/15 is my production date
The range for the 17 radio doesn't match
Old 07-05-2017, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dw3
5/15 is my production date
The range for the 17 radio doesn't match
If it was built on 5/15, sounds like you purchased a 2016. I would have Nissan run your VIN to confirm, but it sounds like you will not have Car Play.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:01 AM
Dw3
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm purchasing a 2017 radio to go in my 2016. I found one at a salvage yard. I wanted to make sure it would fit before I pulled the trigger, minus the SD which I will have to order, it should work. I called another Nissan dealership to get a second opinion. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:06 PM
Dw3
Newbie - Just Registered

7/12 update

Successfully swapped my 16' factory radio with the 17' factory radio. The process was pretty simple. I didn't have to change USB ports etc. I just removed the old radio, and put in the new one. Updated the maps during the process also. Everything works including CarPlay. Not too bad for $400.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nice

Nice -

Originally Posted by Dw3
7/12 update

Successfully swapped my 16' factory radio with the 17' factory radio. The process was pretty simple. I didn't have to change USB ports etc. I just removed the old radio, and put in the new one. Updated the maps during the process also. Everything works including CarPlay. Not too bad for $400.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dw3
7/12 update

Let's see some pics. Other info.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:45 AM
Dw3
Newbie - Just Registered

Bought a 17' radio from Ebay
Ordered the 16-17 Maps from here.com
Installed the radio
Installed the map update
Everything matches up identical to my old 16 radio. After having both, this definitely seems like Nissan could push the apple CarPlay through via a software update.
Attached Thumbnails Apple CarPlay-photo332.jpg   Apple CarPlay-photo179.jpg   Apple CarPlay-photo238.jpg  
Old 07-13-2017, 06:32 AM

Awesome news, for all the guys/gals who wanted the CarPlay.
Thanks for sharing DW3 and taking a chance!
So all the plugs matched and no unused connectors on new radio, or did the new radio have extra plugs?
Old 07-13-2017, 07:42 AM

I hate to be that guy......but you're probably going to have to prove you actually have a 2016 model just so we are all 100% convinced this will work.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:37 AM
Dw3
Newbie - Just Registered

Awesome news, for all the guys/gals who wanted the CarPlay.
Thanks for sharing DW3 and taking a chance!
So all the plugs matched and no unused connectors on new radio, or did the new radio have extra plugs?
Originally Posted by OUBeaver
I hate to be that guy......but you're probably going to have to prove you actually have a 2016 model just so we are all 100% convinced this will work.

1. I didn't have to change any connectors at all. I simple unhooked the 2016 radio, and put in the 17 radio.

No worries I can take a picture of my tag on the door pillar. Have no reason to lie! 😂. Just a guy who bought a 16 for a good deal that wanted apple play!

Info about My Car:

2016 S Trim/Without Bose System
Car manufactured in 5/2015
Attached Thumbnails Apple CarPlay-photo620.jpg  

Last edited by Dw3; 07-13-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:15 AM

Fun fact about the 2016 and 2017 radio. They appear to be the exact same model, with minor modifications to the software (the base OS is the same, but Nissan adds a wrapper on top that runs it's infotainment system). Bonus fun fact: It is a unit built by Clarion that actually runs Windows Embedded Automotive. So the radio runs Microsoft Windows and supports Apple Carplay, which I find interesting given the level of Apple integration required from a Windows system.

I am working on seeing if I can break or download the firmware for another modification (basically I want to make the cross traffic and FEB notifications more obnoxious). If I can, I'll see if I can image the Carplay version firmware and make it available for 2016 users. The good thing about automotive computing is that the security is generally very weak, so it shouldn't be incredibly difficult if I can access the Base OS.

That all being said, if anyone has a 2016 radio they want to donate as a test article, feel free to PM me (I would need the radio, and your VIN so I can spoof it to fool the radio to thinking its installed in the original vehicle).
Old 07-14-2017, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by jgilbs
Fun fact about the 2016 and 2017 radio. They appear to be the exact same model, with minor modifications to the software (the base OS is the same, but Nissan adds a wrapper on top that runs it's infotainment system). Bonus fun fact: It is a unit built by Clarion that actually runs Windows Embedded Automotive. So the radio runs Microsoft Windows and supports Apple Carplay, which I find interesting given the level of Apple integration required from a Windows system.

I am working on seeing if I can break or download the firmware for another modification (basically I want to make the cross traffic and FEB notifications more obnoxious). If I can, I'll see if I can image the Carplay version firmware and make it available for 2016 users. The good thing about automotive computing is that the security is generally very weak, so it shouldn't be incredibly difficult if I can access the Base OS.

That all being said, if anyone has a 2016 radio they want to donate as a test article, feel free to PM me (I would need the radio, and your VIN so I can spoof it to fool the radio to thinking its installed in the original vehicle).
Definitely keep us posted on your progress. I would love to get Carplay on my 2016. I have even started looking for a 2017 radio as Dw3 as done.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:03 PM

Please let me know when you do this... I'd be happy to send you some $$ for your time and effort when you get it working. That was my biggest gripe with everyone telling me that it was hardware... like Nissan was saying, but I knew that a little tinkering with the radio would prove Nissan wrong and it would work. Thanks for you guys showing that carplay can be installed in a 2016.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Maximum808

Please let me know when you do this... I'd be happy to send you some $$ for your time and effort when you get it working. That was my biggest gripe with everyone telling me that it was hardware... like Nissan was saying, but I knew that a little tinkering with the radio would prove Nissan wrong and it would work. Thanks for you guys showing that carplay can be installed in a 2016.
Not even looking for money. Right now the biggest thing is getting my hands on a 2016 (or 2017) radio. If anyone has a busted or bricked one, it would be super helpful (or if anyone wants to spend the $259 on eBay to buy one and ship it to me). I basically need to dump the contents of the flash memory so I can decompile the source code. Once I do that, I should be able to determine the update mechanism, and extract the firmware. Also, I need to be able to determine if the flash memory is encrypted and if this approach is viable or not.

As a bonus, if I can decompile the map update routine, it should be pretty easy to defeat the SD card encryption, and allow for "backing up" Map SD cards (for legally obtained maps, of course). In fact, I have already defeated this encryption on the card itself, but currently its of limited use as I have current maps and no issue with my SD card.

If anyone here works for Nissan and can provide me the files off of an update USB stick (2016 or 2017), that would be super helpful as well.

I don't want to charge money for this. To be honest I was looking at doing this as I was working on a device to interact with the CAN network and change certain vehicle parameters (louder warnings for cross traffic alerts, holding the brakes when ICC comes to a complete stop, etc). I just realized if I can reverse engineer the nav unit, I can run my code natively in the car, and not have to install external boxes to the OBD port or CAN network. However, like I said I would certainly take donations in the form of a radio - working or not.

Last edited by jgilbs; 07-17-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:44 AM

Interested in doing this as well. Is the radio different in the S/SV when compared to the SR? I have a 16 SR so do I have to look for a different model head unit because I have Bose? Also did it come with the SD card? I have heard stories that the SD card is specific to your VIN. Thanks
Old 07-31-2017, 12:59 AM

Looks like it is different for the SL/SR/Platinum. The model seems like 25915-9DD1E My question about the SD still stands. I thought they were married to the VIN number is This true?

Old 07-31-2017, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Derichio02
I have heard stories that the SD card is specific to your VIN. Thanks
The SD card must be specific to Radio Unit ID, not VIN of the car.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:36 PM

As I mentioned, I am working on reversing the vehicle's AV system. I am creating a test bench with a cluster, a radio, the steering wheel buttons, the correct harnesses and some breakouts to let me interfaces with and fake out the CAN network. Since no one wanted to donate, I purchased all of the equipment and while I am waiting for it, I decided to start with the easiest thing: the SD card.

Turns out a decent amount of code is housed in the SD card itself - it's not just map data. I can see Carplay, SXM as well as the navigation app itself (which is supported by the fact that all of these features are disabled when the SD card is removed).

Now there are two outstanding questions: 1)Will a 2016 know to load Carplay if we somehow trick it into thinking an SD card with Carplay is valid?(this is key because even with the SD card removed, the radio knows Carplay SHOULD exist - otherwise the icon would not be present on the radio) and 2)How can we fake out the authorization process into thinking an arbitrary SD card is valid? This would potentially allow us to "upgrade" 2016s if we can figure this out

My hunch is that having Carplay on the SD card doesn't mean much practically for 2016 users. Without code telling the radio to launch the app, it doesnt matter if you have Carplay - you will have no way to actually start it. This may be the key obstacle, as if I cannot reverse the update mechanism, we would have no way to "install" the app on the radio. Unfortunately, the update code lives on the radio itself and will need to be extracted.

Finally, a bunch of people have PM'd me asking if they can help. While I appreciate the offer, I need help in two very specific areas: Hardware donation/funds and Electrical Engineering and Assembly Code/Reverse Engineering. While the radio itself does run Windows, updating a Windows device is pretty easy. It's cracking open the mechanisms and understanding how the system actually works from a hardware/assembly language level that is the most difficult. Additionally, I need hardware to test on that can confirm any modification completed can actually work on other systems.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dw3
Installed the radio
Installed the map update
Everything matches up identical to my old 16 radio. After having both, this definitely seems like Nissan could push the apple CarPlay through via a software update.
Could you please share the part# for this display?
Old 08-02-2017, 09:39 AM

As I mentioned, I am working on reversing the vehicle's AV system. I am creating a test bench with a cluster, a radio, the steering wheel buttons, the correct harnesses and some breakouts to let me interfaces with and fake out the CAN network. Since no one wanted to donate, I purchased all of the equipment and while I am waiting for it, I decided to start with the easiest thing: the SD card.

Turns out a decent amount of code is housed in the SD card itself - it's not just map data. I can see Carplay, SXM as well as the navigation app itself (which is supported by the fact that all of these features are disabled when the SD card is removed).

Now there are two outstanding questions: 1)Will a 2016 know to load Carplay if we somehow trick it into thinking an SD card with Carplay is valid?(this is key because even with the SD card removed, the radio knows Carplay SHOULD exist - otherwise the icon would not be present on the radio) and 2)How can we fake out the authorization process into thinking an arbitrary SD card is valid? This would potentially allow us to "upgrade" 2016s if we can figure this out

My hunch is that having Carplay on the SD card doesn't mean much practically for 2016 users. Without code telling the radio to launch the app, it doesnt matter if you have Carplay - you will have no way to actually start it. This may be the key obstacle, as if I cannot reverse the update mechanism, we would have no way to "install" the app on the radio. Unfortunately, the update code lives on the radio itself and will need to be extracted.

Finally, a bunch of people have PM'd me asking if they can help. While I appreciate the offer, I need help in two very specific areas: Hardware donation/funds and Electrical Engineering and Assembly Code/Reverse Engineering. While the radio itself does run Windows, updating a Windows device is pretty easy. It's cracking open the mechanisms and understanding how the system actually works from a hardware/assembly language level that is the most difficult. Additionally, I need hardware to test on that can confirm any modification completed can actually work on other systems.
Correction, upon further analysis, looks like the SD card does NOT have any executable code. It appears the SD card store preferences, and the H/U will disable the functions if they find that they cannot save preference data.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dw3
Installed the radio
Installed the map update
What is the URL for where you got the 16-17 maps from? The link either doesn't exist or was never there. I purchased a 17 radio as well and am going to try this out.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Dw3
7/12 update

Do you the model of the radio you got from the salvage yard? I've seen several online but wanted to be sure I'm getting one with CarPlay on it. Also,was it all plug n play or did you have to order a different sd card and or have dealer reflash it? I saw you had said something about getting having to get a 17 sd card and didn't know if you ended up not having to.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:34 AM

This all is great news. And exactly what we all knew to be true anyway - that this is simply software. Wheres that fellow who was freaking out on everyone earlier in the thread "THIS IS HARDWARE IDIOTS". Haha. Too funny.

Anyway - I found a '17 SL unit (with Bose) that I'm going to attempt to swap into my '16 SR (also with Bose). Just bought it, so will report back on findings.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:04 PM

I was not so lucky....i found one, but didn't realize it didn't have Bose, so it didn't work with my '16 SR. Lot of effort pulling everything apart to find this out....lol.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by celticdiablo
I was not so lucky....i found one, but didn't realize it didn't have Bose, so it didn't work with my '16 SR. Lot of effort pulling everything apart to find this out....lol.
Would you mind taking pics of the back of each unit and posting within the thread? I feel like that'll help others distinguish between what they might need.

I'll do the same once mine arrives.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:23 PM

So have done a bit more digging in the hopes this will help others. If you have '16 Max and you're looking for a '17 radio on ebay or otherwise, keep the following in mind.

For S or SV models:

- Look for radios with part number 25915-9DD0B

For SL, SR or Platinum:

- Look for radios with part number 25915-9DD1B

Note the last letter (B) in either scenario can vary and not matter for this application. So instead of 9DD1B, it could be 9DD1A (I've seen both).

For reference our '16 models are 25915-4RA0B and 4RA1B respectively.

Visual Reference of the back of what Bose units:

And visual reference of Non Bose Units:

Everything else about the units is identical as you can see. The plugs between '16 and '17 models are identical - apart from that 3rd plug/port which appears to be tied to the Bose system some how.

As a heads up, if you have a '16 S or SV, theres a '17/Carplay enabled head unit on ebay right now for $450: http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-17-Nissan...NZahbh&vxp=mtr

Last edited by wsrobert; 08-11-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:37 PM

for guys who did the swap. Could you please share a pic of the back of the 16' radio. We want to see how they match from the back.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2017, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by mfshehri
for guys who did the swap. Could you please share a pic of the back of the 16' radio. We want to see how they match from the back.

Thanks
Did you miss my entire post right above yours? Where I literally shared those pictures with part numbers. Haha
Old 08-14-2017, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by wsrobert
So have done a bit more digging in the hopes this will help others. If you have '16 Max and you're looking for a '17 radio on ebay or otherwise, keep the following in mind.

For S or SV models:

- Look for radios with part number 25915-9DD0B

For SL, SR or Platinum:

- Look for radios with part number 25915-9DD1B

Note the last letter (B) in either scenario can vary and not matter for this application. So instead of 9DD1B, it could be 9DD1A (I've seen both).

For reference our '16 models are 25915-4RA0B and 4RA1B respectively.

Visual Reference of the back of what Bose units:

And visual reference of Non Bose Units:

Everything else about the units is identical as you can see. The plugs between '16 and '17 models are identical - apart from that 3rd plug/port which appears to be tied to the Bose system some how.

As a heads up, if you have a '16 S or SV, theres a '17/Carplay enabled head unit on ebay right now for $450: http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-17-Nissan...NZahbh&vxp=mtr
The interesting thing to note, however, is that that brown plug does not connect to anything. I have a 2016 SR with the Bose and it has that connection, but it wasn't connected when I removed it and tried to get the newer one to work.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:59 AM

Interesting. So when you connected everything up - what happened?

Also interesting. Here's a '16 Bose unit where the plugs on the back appear to have just been cut off. So you can see what was actually plugged in. And you're right, nothing in the brown plug area.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-17-Nissan....c100011.m1850
Old 08-14-2017, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by wsrobert
Interesting. So when you connected everything up - what happened?

Also interesting. Here's a '16 Bose unit where the plugs on the back appear to have just been cut off. So you can see what was actually plugged in. And you're right, nothing in the brown plug area.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-17-Nissan....c100011.m1850
When I connected the new one, everything worked except the sound. I guess because I didn't realize (prior to purchasing) that it was for non-Bose system. So, I replaced my old one and now have to resell this one to someone without a Bose system.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:05 AM

Ah got it. That makes sense.

Well now ya know. Looks like someone scooped up that non-bose '17 unit I linked to above.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I found an OEM head unit on eBay with the part # ending in 9DD0A... Going what was said in this thread earlier, this should fit in a 2016 Maxima S head unit's space right? Plug and play?
Old 08-14-2017, 03:01 PM

Based on part numbers, visual evidence and whats been documented by the gentleman above whos performed the swap successfully - yes, that absolutely should work.

My unit comes in tomorrow. I hope to install it tomorrow evening so will report back with images.

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay