8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 04:42 AM
Dw3
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Ghwk
So now that you've got it, is it worth it?
For me yes. I'm glad I made the switch. I just wish the CarPlay was wireless, other than that I have no complaints!
Old 09-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So now that we're all settled in with this stuff I wanted to point out a couple of interesting tid bits:
1) keep your eye out when you get your new H/U for the XM subscription; mine came with an active subscription for travel link and XM so I was able to cancel mine.
2) I was able to essentially "unlock" my carplay through jailbreaking my phone and installing an app called NGX play. It is pretty amazing, we just took the maxima on a trip and were able to watch movies with the Netflix and Amazon Prime app as you can access nearly any app on your phone into CarPlay. I hate jailbreaking my phone but in this case it was 100% worth it.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Car-part.com is a database search engine nationwide for parts from salvage yards.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:27 AM

Many thanks to all who have contributed on this thread regarding swapping out the head units. I found a 2017 this morning at a salvage yard for $300 with the SD card so I couldn’t resist. CarPlay is definitely a nice feature to have. Cheers!

Old 12-22-2017, 09:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

For those who are very familiar with the settings of this radio (Carplay unit), is there a setting to turn the distance lines of the reverse camera on and off? Mine have disappeared and I cannot find anyway to get them back. I have been in the hidden menu and confirmed that all of the fields in the camera settings have the correct values (such as car width, etc). I can't figure out what happened to my lines.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Serpentor
For those who are very familiar with the settings of this radio (Carplay unit), is there a setting to turn the distance lines of the reverse camera on and off? Mine have disappeared and I cannot find anyway to get them back. I have been in the hidden menu and confirmed that all of the fields in the camera settings have the correct values (such as car width, etc). I can't figure out what happened to my lines.
First I would check the regular settings (not in the hidden menu) to make sure predictive lines are on. You can access this through regular settings menu under camera, pressing the camera button, or tapping the screen while in reverse. If that doesn’t fix it, I would make sure the head unit setting matches the hardware you have. If I recall correctly, there are three in the hidden menu: off, backup camera, and AVM (around view monitor). Hope this helps!
Old 12-23-2017, 08:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by tmokorn
First I would check the regular settings (not in the hidden menu) to make sure predictive lines are on. You can access this through regular settings menu under camera, pressing the camera button, or tapping the screen while in reverse. If that doesn’t fix it, I would make sure the head unit setting matches the hardware you have. If I recall correctly, there are three in the hidden menu: off, backup camera, and AVM (around view monitor). Hope this helps!
Thank you for the reply. The setting for rear view camera is correct in the hidden menu, and the predictive lines are enabled. Still no distance lines or predictive lines on screen.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Serpentor
Thank you for the reply. The setting for rear view camera is correct in the hidden menu, and the predictive lines are enabled. Still no distance lines or predictive lines on screen.
That is strange. Have you tried resetting the head unit unit to factory defaults? I think that was an option in the hidden menu. There might have even been one to reset all camera settings too, if you haven’t done that already. I would assume that’s what the dealer would do. Just curious; did this happen after you swapped your head unit, or is this still the factory one it shipped with and something changed recently?

Last edited by tmokorn; 12-23-2017 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Line formatting incorrect
Old 12-23-2017, 04:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That is strange. Have you tried resetting the head unit unit to factory defaults? I think that was an option in the hidden menu. There might have even been one to reset all camera settings too, if you haven’t done that already. I would assume that’s what the dealer would do. Just curious; did this happen after you swapped your head unit, or is this still the factory one it shipped with and something changed recently?
I got it sorted finally. The numbers in the Alter/Confirm Configuration menu were incorrect. I was able to get correct numbers by looking in the hidden menu of another vehicle.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just bought a unit off EBAY Part Number: 25915-9DD1E to replace my current 2016 Bose Nav. It's shipping today, and I'll let you know how my swap
goes for my 2016 SL
Old 01-16-2018, 08:16 AM

how long did it take to do the replacement? i.e. how hard is it to rip this thing out and replace?
Old 01-19-2018, 01:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just arrived!

It just arrived today, installing tomorrow, has an SD Card in it.

Apple CarPlay-img_9392.jpg
Apple CarPlay-img_9393.jpg
Apple CarPlay-img_9394.jpg
Old 01-20-2018, 11:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Angry No joy :(

Took about an hour to remove the original unit, installed the one from eBay, doesn't power on. Had to put the original unit back in.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Eric Fontana
Took about an hour to remove the original unit, installed the one from eBay, doesn't power on. Had to put the original unit back in.
Sorry man - that sucks. Could it be the SD card? A bad (empty from the moron imbeciles at Nissan NA) SD card essentially did this to my (working) unit.

No apologies from Nissan for being incompetent.

I've stopped buying on eBay due to a couple of bad situations. I would have not been happy about this.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It had an SD card in it, the display never powered up, i double checked all the connectors, nothing. Even tried my SD card from my current unit in it, nothing. They
EBAY guy I got it from has a 14 day return with 20% re-stocking fee, so, it's not a total loss, besides it was scratched up a bit and I didn't like that either.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Eric Fontana
It had an SD card in it, the display never powered up, i double checked all the connectors, nothing. Even tried my SD card from my current unit in it, nothing. They
EBAY guy I got it from has a 14 day return with 20% re-stocking fee, so, it's not a total loss, besides it was scratched up a bit and I didn't like that either.
Unless the unit was sold as "not working" or "for parts only", you should get your entire cost back, including s/h both ways. If the seller objects, file an ebay claim. Buying on ebay you have 100% protection.
Re-stocking fee would apply if the unit was working, but you decided you did not want it for another reason.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone know if the radio's from the 2018 will work on the 2016?
Old 02-06-2018, 08:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Look at this: Smartphone Mirroring/Projection & Apple CarPlay

I wonder if this setup would actually work for our 2016 A36 (Maxima)

NISSAN MAXIMA 2016-2018 VIDEO INTERFACE with Apple CarPlay

http://www.navtool.com/nissan-maxima...-category.aspx
Old 02-12-2018, 12:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey Guys,

So I was looking for used units with 25915-9DD1(#) and I found a few on eBay that listed it was pulled from a 2016 Maxima. The mfg date Jan 2016. Are all the 25915-9DD## units CarPlay enabled? I really don't want to buy the wrong one.

One last question, what does the the last letter represent? A,B,C or D. I know the #0/1 is Bose/non Bose.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 04-14-2018, 11:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I haven't found a good deal on a 2017+ radio yet for the swap on my 2016 Maxima plat but FYI the swap works on 2015+ Muranos. I found a good deal on a 2017.5 Murano Bose radio w/ carplay and swapped out the unit in my wife's 2015 Murano SL. It works perfectly and was plug and play just as the Maxima swap is described. The unit came up set to french language and I nearly **** my pants but as it turns out that's an easy adjustment in the menu. Nobody on the Murano forums is really talking about this yet that I can tell so I wanted to give you guys a heads up here in case there is a Murano in the family's fleet. Enjoy! Huge shout out again to the folks who lead the way and figured all of this out!
Old 04-26-2018, 10:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

SD card files

Has anyone dumped the content of the SD cards anywhere? I have the SD card for the 2016 but I would like to compare it to the 2017 and 2018 models. I know they are set per SN but I would like to still compare them. If some one has a 2017 with Apple CarPlay or 2018 with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto then I can set up a place to publicly dump the files that are on the SD cards if you are willing to copy them for us.

Also if anyone is looking for map updates for your Nissan here is where you can get them.
http://nissan.navigation.com/home/en_US/NissanNA/USD
Old 04-30-2018, 11:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

https://www.change.org/p/nissan-we-w...share_petition
Old 05-01-2018, 10:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Have any of you guys changed your 2017 infotainment center with a 2018 one that has Android Auto? I can't afford to the the thousands it would cost to buy direct...I'm looking to buy from salvage yard (i know...my chances are slim).

The Maxima completely stock still looks amazing, but dang....you guys and your mods are truly amazing with what you can do. I wish i had the talent and skill to mimic your work
Old 05-08-2018, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dw3
Bought a 17' radio from Ebay
Ordered the 16-17 Maps from here.com
Installed the radio
Installed the map update
Everything matches up identical to my old 16 radio. After having both, this definitely seems like Nissan could push the apple CarPlay through via a software update.
****ty move my Nissan then to not just push an OTA update. No one is gonna gonna get rid of their 2016 for a 2017 or 2018 for CarPlay or Android Auto. If Hyundai/Kia can do it, Nissan can.

Originally Posted by wsrobert
So have done a bit more digging in the hopes this will help others. If you have '16 Max and you're looking for a '17 radio on ebay or otherwise, keep the following in mind.

For S or SV models:

- Look for radios with part number 25915-9DD0B

For SL, SR or Platinum:

- Look for radios with part number 25915-9DD1B

Note the last letter (B) in either scenario can vary and not matter for this application. So instead of 9DD1B, it could be 9DD1A (I've seen both).

For reference our '16 models are 25915-4RA0B and 4RA1B respectively.

Visual Reference of the back of what Bose units:

And visual reference of Non Bose Units:

Everything else about the units is identical as you can see. The plugs between '16 and '17 models are identical - apart from that 3rd plug/port which appears to be tied to the Bose system some how.

As a heads up, if you have a '16 S or SV, theres a '17/Carplay enabled head unit on ebay right now for $450: http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-17-Nissan...NZahbh&vxp=mtr
Very useful info. I've been thinking about getting an 2016 SR and I want to do this if I do end up buying it

Originally Posted by Jdizzle316
Have any of you guys changed your 2017 infotainment center with a 2018 one that has Android Auto? I can't afford to the the thousands it would cost to buy direct...I'm looking to buy from salvage yard (i know...my chances are slim).
I highly doubt the HW has changed from 2016 to 2018, a 2018 head unit should work with an 2016
Old 06-07-2018, 11:27 AM

Hey guys, has anyone been able to find part number 25915-9DD1B or know of where I can purchase it used? I'm planning on installing it in my '16 SR. I've been searching for 8 months and still cannot find one used. TIA

Last edited by MAX828; 06-07-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by MAX828
Hey guys, has anyone been able to find part number 25915-9DD1B or know of where I can purchase it used? I'm planning on installing it in my '16 SR. I've been searching for 8 months and still cannot find one used. TIA
Information should already be in this thread - sent you a PM
Old 06-07-2018, 06:16 PM

Information should already be in this thread - sent you a PM
Help me out too. I've been looking as well
Old 06-07-2018, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by cyphur
Help me out too. I've been looking as well
Read through the threads all of the search sites/resources are listed. You’ll have to be patient and persistent in your search. It took me months to track one down. There are a bunch of used non-Bose units available if that applies to you.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I want to first say thank all those who have contributed to this thread. I become tired of arguing on twitter with Nissan, and just gave up, until I saw this thread.

I recently took the advice and jumped on EBAY to find what appears to be a 2016/2017 radio/Nav with SD card head unit with BOSE. I find myself second guessing my purchase this week because there is nothing saying CARPLAY enabled.(You technically do not see this on any of the Head units that are there)

All I have is the product Id's:
25915-4RA1A
25915-9DD1C
Manufactured December 2016

I Am excited yet nervous.. I've seen other Radio head units for as cheap as 105.00 with the Bose connector on the rear but can't see the model number beyond 25915-4RA1A.
Just checking to see if anyone has ordered a device that looked correct that did not have CARPLAY enabled..

Fingers Crossed ....

Last edited by Cardnylsin; 06-11-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So I received my Radio head unit on Thursday and had it installed Friday...
I am pleased.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:22 PM

^ Awesome! Was it a used or new unit? Did you install it yourself? Did you do a how to if so with pics or a video?
Old 06-16-2018, 06:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The radio unit was used from a 2017 that was written off. The Radio unit was in excellent condition with only a very minor cosmetic Nic. Nothing noticeable until I point it out. The functionality of the 2017 unit with the CarPlay access improves the experience far beyond the BS of the Nissan Connect crap.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:57 AM

Yes thank goodness for CarPlay, can’t for one second look at Nissan’s built in crap.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:14 AM

One from an 18 is on Ebay now for 504

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18-Maxima-C...cAAOSwlgNbAXDa
Old 06-17-2018, 03:49 PM

Let me first plead my ignorance with technology (being an old bugger). But, recently picked up my latest Max, an '18 Platinum and have questions regarding syncing my Android and my wife's Apple I-phone with the car. First, and foremost, do they override the apps that come standard with Sirius (traffic, weather)? What are the benefits of this process? Again, since CD players, technology has passed me by. LOL
Old 06-17-2018, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by jc53
Let me first plead my ignorance with technology (being an old bugger). But, recently picked up my latest Max, an '18 Platinum and have questions regarding syncing my Android and my wife's Apple I-phone with the car. First, and foremost, do they override the apps that come standard with Sirius (traffic, weather)? What are the benefits of this process? Again, since CD players, technology has passed me by. LOL
Apple car is awesome simple and easy if you are already used to your iPhone, using CarPlay does not override anything that comes stock with Nissan’s pathetic interface. I use CarPlay everyday.
Apple maps are amazing as the codes are written real-time so better response, better sound quality when using CarPlay, use sri, so without taking hands off the wheel can ask Sri to make call, play music, send txts etc. Over all absolute pleasure to use CarPlay.
Have not used android so do not know anything.

Rest be sured, CarPlay is a separate entity on its own through your phone.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by jc53
No it will not override the apps. The benefits is that you will be able to use hands free phone functionality( calling, receiving, messages.) And stream music from your phone. Other than that everything stays the same. (That’s only when you will pair it via Bluetooth)

Apple CarPlay( IPhone) and Android Auto it’s a bit different. You still get all basic functionality like calling and messaging but with a bit more features and its driver friendly interface.

Apple Carplay

Android Auto
Old 06-25-2018, 03:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Screen

Any body know . How can open navigation screen from car.

i find interface android box. Can upgrade orginal screen car to android with same orginal fuction.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Another success story..

Bought a unit on eBay ending in 9DD1C (manufactured Sept 2016) and installed it myself in a 2016 SR w/Bose today. Trust me, if I can do this then anyone can. The most difficult part for me was disassembling the dash to get the radio out. Was scared as **** that I was going to break something but it all worked out. Had to move the climate control over to the new unit but that was just a few screws, and everything else plugged right into place. Took less than an hour to install.

I used this as a guide, credit to wsrobert for posting on page 5:
http://www.metraonline.com/files/pro...9-7630_web.pdf

Old 06-26-2018, 01:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I find android box install with orginal screen. Upgrade to andriode 4.2.

i am comfuse. Buy ebay newer screen to my 2016 SR. Or upgrade to android with sam old screen.

any one suggestion to me function of newer screen

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay