8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Oil change every 6 months or 5k?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 03:09 PM

Oil change every 6 months or 5k?

Which ever comes first? I must be blind because I don't see the 6 months reference in the user manual? The little sticker my dealer put on says 4/07 9832 miles. We done our first oil change at 5k. Oil wise we are using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full synthetic.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 04-24-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:12 PM

Page 10, Nissan Service and Maintenance Guide:

Determining the proper Maintenance Interval

Standard maintenance; features 5,000 mile or 6 month, whichever comes first, service intervals and generally applies when you primarily operate your vehicle on the highway in temperate conditions.
Premium maintenance is a Nissan recommended optional upgrade that adds services when maintenance is performed.

Page 18 starts the 5,000 miles or 6 month Maintenance schedule, and continues every 5K and 6 months.

The Nissan Service and Maintenance Guide is a separate booklet in the Owners Manual packet in the glovebox.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:44 PM

Nissan needs to rethink their service intervals, so many other brands have a standard of 7,500 or even 10,000 miles. It seems even more pointless since full synthetic is used in the Maxima. I suppose it irks me only because I typically rack up 5,000 miles in as few as 6 weeks.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:25 PM

Thanks so much!

Originally Posted by RickSmith
Page 10, Nissan Service and Maintenance Guide:

Determining the proper Maintenance Interval

Standard maintenance; features 5,000 mile or 6 month, whichever comes first, service intervals and generally applies when you primarily operate your vehicle on the highway in temperate conditions.
Premium maintenance is a Nissan recommended optional upgrade that adds services when maintenance is performed.

Page 18 starts the 5,000 miles or 6 month Maintenance schedule, and continues every 5K and 6 months.

The Nissan Service and Maintenance Guide is a separate booklet in the Owners Manual packet in the glovebox.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:27 PM

Does full synthetic vary by dealer or something? Both my nearest local dealers do not use full synthetic for the Maxima and use a mixed blend. They have both offered to up sell me on full synthetic Mobil 1 but I just bring my own.

Originally Posted by dmc79
Nissan needs to rethink their service intervals, so many other brands have a standard of 7,500 or even 10,000 miles. It seems even more pointless since full synthetic is used in the Maxima. I suppose it irks me only because I typically rack up 5,000 miles in as few as 6 weeks.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:28 PM

Check the oil every 1000 miles and see how dirty it is, and base your interval decision on that plus a healthy dose of reason.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:36 AM

Style of driving, seasonal temperatures, dusty road conditions . . . there are countless considerations for determining best oil change interval. With full synthetic and normal driving conditions, 10K between changes should be sufficient. With lots of stop and go driving or very cold weather conditions, I would probably drop to a 7500 mile interval.

But this topic has been discussed hundreds of times every year on many boards, and the general consensus is often that each person's situation is slightly different, and each person must look at his or her particular situation and decide what seems best for them.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
Does full synthetic vary by dealer or something? Both my nearest local dealers do not use full synthetic for the Maxima and use a mixed blend. They have both offered to up sell me on full synthetic Mobil 1 but I just bring my own.
When you read your Owner's Manual, you will see that Nissan recommends 0W-20 SAE SN rated motor oil, or 5W-30 SAE SN rated motor oil.

You will find 0W-20 in both semi-synthetic (synthetic blend) or full synthetic. 5W-30 is sold the same way, plus what is called regular (Dino) oil.

Use what makes you sleep well at night. What is important is that you check your oil on a regular basis, and don't let the oil get low in your car.

Stick with 5K oil and filter changes while you are under warranty...one less headache if you have engine problems. After your warranty expires...do what you feel comfortable with...5K, 7.5K, 10K, 15K or 20K oil changes.

Last edited by RickSmith; 04-25-2018 at 04:24 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by 240tomax
Check the oil every 1000 miles and see how dirty it is, and base your interval decision on that plus a healthy dose of reason.
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/5-engine-oil-myths2.htm

You pull the dipstick out and check the color of the oil at the tip. Chances are, it's starting to turn dark, no longer the light amber color that you saw on the stick when your oil was fresh. So now it's too dirty to use, right? It's depositing sludge in your engine and needs to be changed.

Wrong. In fact, just the opposite is true. The oil is working just the way it's supposed to, dispersing the tiny particles that can result in engine sludge and holding them in suspension in the oil itself so that they can't build up. That's why the oil appears darker, but this in no way impedes the oil from performing its normal functions of lubricating and protecting the metal surfaces inside the engine.

Of course, the oil is limited in how many of these suspended particles it can contain and will eventually need to be changed when it becomes saturated, but use the oil change interval recommended by your car's manufacturer to decide when to change the oil, not the color of the oil on the stick.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:37 AM

I just do every 7000 with synthetic, I think 5000 is probably overkill. Of course the first few oil changes can be done a bit more frequently
Old 04-25-2018, 11:27 AM

I asked 2 different dealership in my area for oil change and they both used synthetic blend for the Maxima. With 5K miles interval stated in the owner manual, synthetic blend is fine. When I am doing my own oil change after warranty expired, I will switch to full synthetic and change the interval to 10K miles.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSR
I asked 2 different dealership in my area for oil change and they both used synthetic blend for the Maxima. With 5K miles interval stated in the owner manual, synthetic blend is fine. When I am doing my own oil change after warranty expired, I will switch to full synthetic and change the interval to 10K miles.
Ditto that, as my dealer always tries to upsell the full synthetic oil. I'd just change every 6 months or 5 K miles (which ever comes 1st) while warranty is in effect using the semi synthetic that Nissan approves.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:19 PM

If you are going to keep the car, you can buy enough oil and filters to cover you if there is an issue. They have no way of knowing if you changed it at 5, 7 or 10 K miles. If you bought the filers and oil....that is all you need and your spread sheet of service that you keep
Old 04-25-2018, 07:49 PM

When you read your Owner's Manual, you will see that Nissan recommends 0W-20 SAE SN rated motor oil, or 5W-30 SAE SN rated motor oil.

You will find 0W-20 in both semi-synthetic (synthetic blend) or full synthetic. 5W-30 is sold the same way, plus what is called regular (Dino) oil.

Use what makes you sleep well at night. What is important is that you check your oil on a regular basis, and don't let the oil get low in your car.

Stick with 5K oil and filter changes while you are under warranty...one less headache if you have engine problems. After your warranty expires...do what you feel comfortable with...5K, 7.5K, 10K, 15K or 20K oil changes.
Well said Rick. I was going to respond until I read your reply. You covered it well.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:50 PM

does this car have a "change oil" notification?
Old 10-06-2018, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mikchek
does this car have a "change oil" notification?

yes, it can notify you but it has to be entered manually in maintaining settings. It works like a timer.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:39 PM

As long as you have the receipts for purchase of the filters and oil you will be fine. Change it when ever the F you want...6 months is ludicrous..as is 5K.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:44 PM

My dealer puts Castrol syntech synthetic blend 5,30
Old 10-06-2018, 08:34 PM

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/5-engine-oil-myths2.htm

You pull the dipstick out and check the color of the oil at the tip. Chances are, it's starting to turn dark, no longer the light amber color that you saw on the stick when your oil was fresh. So now it's too dirty to use, right? It's depositing sludge in your engine and needs to be changed.

Wrong. In fact, just the opposite is true. The oil is working just the way it's supposed to, dispersing the tiny particles that can result in engine sludge and holding them in suspension in the oil itself so that they can't build up. That's why the oil appears darker, but this in no way impedes the oil from performing its normal functions of lubricating and protecting the metal surfaces inside the engine.

Of course, the oil is limited in how many of these suspended particles it can contain and will eventually need to be changed when it becomes saturated, but use the oil change interval recommended by your car's manufacturer to decide when to change the oil, not the color of the oil on the stick.
AMEN bro.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:31 PM

Which ever comes first? I must be blind because I don't see the 6 months reference in the user manual? The little sticker my dealer put on says 4/07 9832 miles. We done our first oil change at 5k. Oil wise we are using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full synthetic.
Depends really, for instance i leased my 17' SL from PORT CHESTER NISSAN and get Free oil changes for the life of the lease and if i decide to purchase the car...i also will get FRE OIL CHANGES for the life of said vehicle. They do 5K miles or 3 Month's witch ever comes first. i've had around 7 oil changes done since i leased my car in 01/17/2017.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by bones787718
Depends really, for instance, I leased my 17' SL from PORT CHESTER NISSAN and get Free oil changes for the life of the lease and if I decide to purchase the car...i also will get FREE OIL CHANGES for the life of the said vehicle. They do 5K miles or 3 Month's whichever comes first. I've had around 7 oil changes done since I leased my car in 01/17/2017.
Why not! I think your dealer see the cost for the oil change is minimal vs taking the chance of voiding the warranty.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What about the whole ester oil thing ? The service rep at my local dealer said my maxima requires ester oil, and he also said 370z's require it too, so i told him to just put synthetic oil, anybody know more about this whole ester oil confusion ? Owners manual doesn't say anything about ester oil, it just says to use Nissans authentic oil or something
Old 10-14-2018, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by 16SRMax
What about the whole ester oil thing ? The service rep at my local dealer said my maxima requires ester oil, and he also said 370z's require it too, so i told him to just put synthetic oil, anybody know more about this whole ester oil confusion ? Owners manual doesn't say anything about ester oil, it just says to use Nissans authentic oil or something
Ask your service rep at your local dealer to show you where it is written by Nissan that you need to use Ester based oil in your Generation 8 Maxima. He will be unable to show you, as it is not a Nissan requirement. Your service rep is a few years behind the times.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/autos/...729-story.html

https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our-...t-is-ester-oil

https://www.nissanclub.com/forums/20...g-recommended-
Old 10-14-2018, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by wild *****
If you are going to keep the car, you can buy enough oil and filters to cover you if there is an issue. They have no way of knowing if you changed it at 5, 7 or 10 K miles. If you bought the filers and oil....that is all you need and your spread sheet of service that you keep
Worth thinking about.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Worth thinking about.
an engine screwed up due to lack of oil change is pretty simple to determine.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
an engine screwed up due to lack of oil change is pretty simple to determine.
Lack of Oil changes can be interpreted many different ways......So BMW recommends 15K miles...that would be considered lack of Oil Changes in my book.......even though it meets Mfg requirements....I think if someone goes 10 k on full synthetic....in a Max..you could not call that lack of Oil changes..
Old 10-14-2018, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by wild *****
Lack of Oil changes can be interpreted many different ways......So BMW recommends 15K miles...that would be considered lack of Oil Changes in my book.......even though it meets Mfg requirements....I think if someone goes 10 k on full synthetic....in a Max..you could not call that lack of Oil changes..
Nissan will if you suffer damage that is clearly from not following the schedule.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
Nissan will if you suffer damage that is clearly from not following the schedule.
Boy, you have a lot of faith in the competence of the baboons in the service dept....lol. I won't let them change my oil....I wont let them touch my car unless it is unavoidable.....Nissan service techs have to be the worst I have ever seen. In the past...If I dont tell them what they need to fix.....they have no clue...The could not find a single TSB i encountered on my 02 SE....I had to print them and bring them in.....UNBELIEVABLE
Old 10-14-2018, 03:44 PM

If you run a true syn oil... 3 choices... Amsoil.. SIgnature Series (Black bottle only) Royal Purple Hps or Xpr oils, and Redline.. all others are Hydrocracked junk blend oil..
I go 10k miles with RP Hps and oil filter.. Oil comes back from Blackstone in top shape..
Changing oil at 5k is throwing money away.
Dealerships will tell you to change oil with them at their intervals.. I worked on Infiniti's for 10 years.. I made a ton of money from people who think we use "MAGIC' oil...lol
Old 10-14-2018, 04:28 PM

Nmax- Watch this video-

I used to use Royal Purple. Now I only use mobile one. Pretty interesting test.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:58 PM

That is not Hps street oil in the test. That is the crap SAE they sell at Walmart... Been using RP for years.. .like I said before I get my oil sent off to Blackstone labs and my results are perfect.

Mobil 1 is not a true syn oil.. its a Class III base stock.. ..Its cheap yes.. you get what you pay for.