8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

New maxima owner. Few questions about the radio/stereo

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 12:24 PM

New maxima owner. Few questions about the radio/stereo

Just got a 2018 maxima sv. I've had it for only 4 days but so far I love it. My wife has a rogue also so I'm somewhat familiar with the nissan brand.

I have a few questions about the radio/stereo. I don't have the bose audio and my wife's rogue doesn't have it either,, but there is a huge difference in the sound between her rogue and my maxima. The maxima sounds much better and is ALOT louder than the rogue. Does nissan have different speakers based on model? Or is the audio upgraded in the maxima vs the rogue? Just curious more than anything. Also,, I've seen a bit online about the Nissan connect apps. I know there's different levels of nissan connect,, but I can't get any of the apps to work with the head unit in my maxima. I don't know if it's available on all nissan or just certain models. I had assumed it was seeing as there's a giant "nissan connect" logo that comes up when I turn my car on. Thanks for any help/advice
Old 02-25-2019, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Steptide
Just got a 2018 maxima sv. I've had it for only 4 days but so far I love it. My wife has a rogue also so I'm somewhat familiar with the nissan brand.

I have a few questions about the radio/stereo. I don't have the bose audio and my wife's rogue doesn't have it either,, but there is a huge difference in the sound between her rogue and my maxima. The maxima sounds much better and is ALOT louder than the rogue. Does nissan have different speakers based on model? Or is the audio upgraded in the maxima vs the rogue? Just curious more than anything. Also,, I've seen a bit online about the Nissan connect apps. I know there's different levels of nissan connect,, but I can't get any of the apps to work with the head unit in my maxima. I don't know if it's available on all nissan or just certain models. I had assumed it was seeing as there's a giant "nissan connect" logo that comes up when I turn my car on. Thanks for any help/advice
The Bose unit has better speakers, amp , etc. Some still compl;ain that the Bose unit is not an audiophile unit. Lacks good bass. That said, I have been satisfied with my 2016 Platinum's audio performance. Your 2018 is supposed to have the best connectivity though I cannot tell you 1st hand what that entails. I am sure others will chime in.
I never did sign up for the optional connect setup since it was a combersome interface with limited abilities

Last edited by robtroxel; 02-25-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:24 PM

Steptide, congratulations on your new Maxima! Per this attachment, if you have a 2018 SV then you have the base audio system with 8 speakers. Can't tell you though how that compares to what's in your wife's Rogue. Also per this page, NissanConnect Services an option only for the Platinum trim level.

Last edited by sschumer; 02-25-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by sschumer
Steptide, congratulations on your new Maxima! Per this attachment, if you have a 2018 SV then you have the base audio system with 8 speakers. Can't tell you though how that compares to what's in your wife's Rogue. Also per this page, NissanConnect Services an option only for the Platinum trim level.

Thanks! That helps quite a bit. I think the 8 speaker base audio sounds great. Although I'm comparing it to my camry so that could be why. I've been streaming music through Android auto mainly. I've found the louder it is the better it sounds. I don't think Android auto is making it sound any better necessarily, just pointing out that it sounds great even with streaming.

I'm also new to Android auto (I've been using Spotify,, Google and Google maps for years however) . Is it normal that Spotify doesnt show ALL your play lists through Android auto? Don't know if it's normal or I'm missing something
Old 02-25-2019, 04:00 PM

Steptide, hoping these links will provide the answers you're looking for. Note that at the bottom of that second link is an option to chat, email or phone Nissan for an answer. By the way, you do have NissanConnect. It's the expanded NissanConnect Services that's available only on the Platinum.

Android Auto Overview: https://www.nissanusa.com/connect/fe...?prev=features

Android Auto FAQ's: https://www.nissanusa.com/connect/faq#android-autotm

Last edited by sschumer; 02-25-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:51 PM

SV has a fine audio for being standard. It has no advanced features but it’s pretty good. A lot better than other competitors has to offer as standard.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by sschumer

Yeah, I too found out that my SL (one step up from the SV) did not have the Connect Services even though there is a huge Connect logo that pops up each time I start the car. From what i have heard however, this service is not a big deal and certainly not worth the price. Correct me if this has changed since '17.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:31 PM

Check your audio settings and play with the Bose centerpoint and surround stage
Old 02-26-2019, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mjscott22
Check your audio settings and play with the Bose centerpoint and surround stage
I don't have the bose audio, just the base stereo which I think still sounds pretty good
Old 02-26-2019, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Steptide
I don't have the bose audio, just the base stereo which I think still sounds pretty good
I'm sure the base factory system is more than good, though some add better speakers and a small amp to drive the bass better.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just bought 08 Maxima and am trying to upgrade the sound system to Bose. I've got the complete Bose speaker and amp kit out of an 07 maxima I found at scrap yard. But the wiring connectors are different on speakers as well as amp.
I have a general knowledge of electrical wiring and converted the speaker plugs to the Bose system with no problems. My issue is with the amp wiring and plugs. Everything is completely different. Can anyone please help me in completing my sound system upgrade?.
And also, what if I want to add additional speakers (6x9 or 6.5") and possibly a couple subs (prob just one 10" sub) with a larger amp to push it.
Do the additional speakers need to be 2ohm or 4ohm?
The factory amp was labeled 2ohm but the Bose amp don't specify on it. So I'm not sure what I need to do exactly in order to have an absolute KICK *** sound Staten in here! Don't want window rattling bass.... Just CLEAR, LOUD, & BASS FILLED SOUND

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 06-10-2020, 05:28 AM

2 Ohms set up. Best to install a good aftermarket unit than to try to salvage an earlier generation and graft it to your Maxima. The factory Bose is just a little above average by most people's feedback here.