8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Feel like spy hunter arcade with smoke screen need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 10:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Feel like spy hunter arcade with smoke screen need help

2016 Maxima had some flood damage trying to troubleshoot, runs great for about a mile then codes P0024,(exhaust valve timing control solenoid) and P0300 (multiple misfire). I have checked the exhaust valve verifying the plunger working and checked cam position sensors. When codes are cleared it runs great for about a mile then codes again and gets put into limp mode, same time it will smoke out the tailpipe. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:42 AM

Yikes,

do you have comprehensive insurance on that puppy? I'd run fast from a flood car, but I assume that for one reason or another you don't have that option. How recently was it flooded?

Old 03-03-2019, 01:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm not sure how long ago the flood damage occurred possible last fall.

Source
Old 03-04-2019, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Micka Wright Perry
I'm not sure how long ago the flood damage occurred possible last fall.

Source
I realize you are hearing some bad news on your situation but here is a starting point. 1st thing to do is clean and retighten all ground wires. Use fine steel wool to clean the terminal ends and the nuts or screws that secure the ground wires to the body. Start under the hood and work your way through the body. I'd hop on EBAY to get a service CD for guidance. Hopefully you are handy at disassembly. Inside the car, you need to pull out the seats front and rear, then peel back the carpeting looking for tell tale signs of mud, etc. Examine the computer boxes for moisture and or rust at the connection points. If you see that, BAD NEWS! An option would be to check a salvage company to get the computer boxes you need to replace. Also take a hard look at the under hood and under dash fuse boxes. Labor is the big deal here and just how far your car was "under Water".
If you got a decent price on the car, then you have some wiggle room to bring it back. Not impossible but a real challenge. Take some pictures and post so some of the Electrical savy folks can also comment. Best of luck.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
I realize you are hearing some bad news on your situation but here is a starting point. 1st thing to do is clean and retighten all ground wires. Use fine steel wool to clean the terminal ends and the nuts or screws that secure the ground wires to the body. Start under the hood and work your way through the body. I'd hop on EBAY to get a service CD for guidance. Hopefully you are handy at disassembly. Inside the car, you need to pull out the seats front and rear, then peel back the carpeting looking for tell tale signs of mud, etc. Examine the computer boxes for moisture and or rust at the connection points. If you see that, BAD NEWS! An option would be to check a salvage company to get the computer boxes you need to replace. Also take a hard look at the under hood and under dash fuse boxes. Labor is the big deal here and just how far your car was "under Water".
If you got a decent price on the car, then you have some wiggle room to bring it back. Not impossible but a real challenge. Take some pictures and post so some of the Electrical savy folks can also comment. Best of luck.
Very nice explanation.
"Examine the computer boxes for moisture and or rust at the connection points. If you see that, BAD NEWS!"

Then would it be better to start there first?
Old 03-04-2019, 10:19 AM

Fuse blocks and any electrical connectors under the hood and under the dash that you can see and reach is a good starting point.

Did you Google the fault codes to see an explanation? That's where I would start.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:21 AM

https://www.autocodes.com/p0024_nissan.html

Possible causes Faulty exhaust valve timing control solenoid valve
Exhaust valve timing control solenoid valve harness is open or shorted
Exhaust valve timing control solenoid valve circuit poor electrical connection
Faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor (POS)
Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor

Read more: https://www.autocodes.com/p0024_nissan.html