8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

17’ maxima SR Clunking noise in trunk??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 10:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

17’ maxima SR Clunking noise in trunk??

For the past year I have a clunking noise coming from the rear trunk area. I have taken the car twice to the dealership with no results, and $500 out of pocket cost for diagnostic. They told me they took the entire rear trunk apart and still heard the noise but can’t figure out what it is, told me it had nothing to do with the suspension. Told me check a body shop but really not trying to spend the extra $$$ for them to say idk again!
Happens year round, mainly over bumps, at any speed. The faster I go the louder it gets. Bigger bumps = more noticeable.

car stats:
2017 Nissan Maxima Sr midnight edition
40k miles
No aftermarket parts
Old 12-30-2021, 05:13 PM

Sounds like the pop, clunk issue. Turns out to be bushings I believe. There is a huge thread on this. Search for the pop/clunk issue. You should find at least one thread.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:02 AM

Oh the infamous pop clunk noise. I still have the noise even after replacing the whole rear shock assembly both sides. Put your radio up just learn to live with it. There’s no real fix some people got lucky and found a fix, others not so lucky. It usually only happens in cold weather so I wouldn’t go crazy trying to pin point it.

Last edited by ENGINE2MAXIMA; 01-05-2022 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:36 PM

have you taken a good look at your spare tire tools?,,just tossing this out there
Old 01-06-2022, 05:03 AM

Same 2016 Platinum....had shocks checked 2x, dug around spare tire, even wrapped jack in a towel...still makes noise. Only 49k miles but has been doing it for some time now.
I'm thinking it's the trunk lid.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:03 AM

I've dealt with this for six years. replaced shock tower once, replacement urinated fluid all over my garage. second one held for about 3 months.
Old 03-31-2022, 05:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Its a Recall

Originally Posted by lindros2
I've dealt with this for six years. replaced shock tower once, replacement urinated fluid all over my garage. second one held for about 3 months.
Hi,

I have a 2016 Maxima Platinum, I have the same issue. Did some research. I think you need to read this
https://www.nissanassist.com/campaig...nk%20separates.On some 2013- 2018 Nissan Altimas and some 2016-2018 Nissan Maxima vehicles, one of the rear lower suspension links may corrode and separate at the bushing joint area. Customers may notice a knocking or rattling noise from the rear of the vehicle or observe wheel misalignment on the rear wheel(s) if the link separates.

WHAT NISSAN WILL DO
To help assure continued satisfaction and confidence in the vehicles impacted, Nissan is extending its New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage for affected vehicles’ rear lower suspension links by 84 months and unlimited miles beyond the current 36 month/36,000 mile new vehicle limited warranty, for a total of 120 months without regard to mileage. This limited warranty extension applies only to the rear lower suspension links if parts are cracked or broken. Coverage of other vehicle components will remain unchanged, and all other terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions of Nissan’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty continue to apply. Please consult your warranty information booklet for details.

REIMBURSEMENT
If you have previously replaced the rear lower suspension link(s) in your 2013-2018 Nissan Altima or 2016-2018 Nissan Maxima vehicle due to failure, you may be eligible for reimbursement of the expense for parts and labor that you incurred. you may be eligible for reimbursement of the expense for parts and labor that you incurred. Please visit reimbursement tab on this page to access the reimbursement claim form, and follow the instructions on the website including submission of the following documents:

• Repair order(s)
  • Proof of payment [may be on repair order(s)]
  • Proof of vehicle ownership if repair is over $1,000
If you have additional questions, you may contact the National Consumer Affairs Department, Nissan North America, Inc., P.O. Box 685003, Franklin, TN 37068-5003. The toll free number is 1-800-867-7669.

Thank you for providing us an opportunity to ensure on-going satisfaction with your Nissan vehicle.
Old 06-15-2022, 12:14 PM

I was having a noise issue and it turned out it was I think an amplifier for the rear speakers that's attached to the top of the pas through from trunk to back seat. I must have hit it putting something in the trunk and knocked one side loose. I zip tied it back up and it as ok after that.
Old 06-18-2022, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by ENGINE2MAXIMA
Oh the infamous pop clunk noise. I still have the noise even after replacing the whole rear shock assembly both sides. Put your radio up just learn to live with it. There’s no real fix some people got lucky and found a fix, others not so lucky. It usually only happens in cold weather so I wouldn’t go crazy trying to pin point it.
I think you are about spot on, ENGINE. I have a 17 SL. Mine has been super quiet, even going over speed bumps in really cold weather.... until just this past winter, when it started making that clunk from the back right side. Would make no noise if I hit a bump with just the left rear, just the right, As soon as spring arrived the noise stopped. I dare not take it to the dealer because I doubt they will find the problem. My ASE-Certified brother looked at it and thought the noise was coming from the right rear upper shock mount but I never followed up on the diagnosis. I know the SL suspensions are softer than the SR's, and I figure this might be why those with the problem with their SR's hear it all year long. I'll live with it.
Old 06-18-2022, 06:29 PM

Thanks for posting this. I have this notice too. Thing is those end link joints are made of nylon (cheap way out), and it looks like if they go south the noise would not be a bump, or pop. I actuallly thought mine were loose, compared with other cars in the family. Took it in, but techs said the "play" was normal. Bull!
Old 02-03-2023, 09:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by tokyo420
For the past year I have a clunking noise coming from the rear trunk area. I have taken the car twice to the dealership with no results, and $500 out of pocket cost for diagnostic. They told me they took the entire rear trunk apart and still heard the noise but can’t figure out what it is, told me it had nothing to do with the suspension. Told me check a body shop but really not trying to spend the extra $$$ for them to say idk again!
Happens year round, mainly over bumps, at any speed. The faster I go the louder it gets. Bigger bumps = more noticeable.

car stats:
2017 Nissan Maxima Sr midnight edition
40k miles
No aftermarket parts
I am having the same issue with my 2017 Maxima with 44k miles. I took it a mechanic and they couldn't find anything. Do you have any updates?
Old 02-03-2023, 08:49 PM

I know it’s not caused by cold weather. I live in Florida and my ‘17 Platinum has had this for a few years now. Dealerships are pretty useless in fixing this. If they ride with you, they will say they don’t hear anything. If they look at the car, they will say they don’t see anything. I’ve about given up on fixing the issue even those I hear it everyday.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gator5000e
I know it’s not caused by cold weather. I live in Florida and my ‘17 Platinum has had this for a few years now. Dealerships are pretty useless in fixing this. If they ride with you, they will say they don’t hear anything. If they look at the car, they will say they don’t see anything. I’ve about given up on fixing the issue even those I hear it everyday.
Maybe not yours but my clunk happens only in weather under 35° f. It is definitely coming from the rear right wheel well area. I have a lift and I've been all under that back right side with crowbars and all types of tools prying around seeing what could be loose. Have found nothing so far. Obviously, mine being heat related, causes whatever parts have shrunk to swell up as the temperature rises, thus eliminating the clunk.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:45 AM

I have the clunk on a 2019 w/ 19" wheels too. My 2016 didn't really have the issue.
And it's been repaired twice already.
Old 04-10-2023, 10:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I don’t normally respond on any of these threads but this rattling just about drove me insane, so I figured I’d try to help anyone dealing with the same extremely annoying issue. If your rattling noise is far worse in cold weather then I can almost say for certain that your shock mounts are the issue. I can’t find the thread that I saw that on originally, but I had my doubts because to me the noise sounded like it was inside the interior, not anything to do with rear suspension. I purchased 2 new rear shock mounts for my ‘17 Platinum. When I installed them, I didn’t see anything at all visibly wrong with the old ones so I thought it was going to be a waste of time, but to my surprise I haven’t had a rattle since! I was so thankful to figure this out. Hopefully this will help someone else. I will put the link to the part I used below.

Monroe Shocks & Struts Strut-Mate 904985 Suspension Shock Mounting Kit
[img]images/misc/amazon_icon.gif[/img] [img]images/misc/amazon_icon.gif[/img]
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-14-2023, 12:36 PM

I have 2017 Platinum and have the same issue on the right rear side. I live in Canada and started hearing it during the winter months, but think it is not weather related. Just removed the lining to check if there is anything loose there, but could not find anything and right away suspected that it is a loose shock mounting nuts or shock mount. I see that there is metal cover over the shock mount in the trunk. Has someone removed this and if yes how did you do it. Thanks, Tony
Old 06-21-2023, 10:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

If any of you are still having this issue, please also look at NTB18-032 "ALTIMA AND MAXIMA; NOISE FROM TRUNK AREA". I have had similar noise and just performed the steps listed in the TSB and had good results. Worth looking into if you haven't already found it.
Old 06-21-2023, 12:29 PM

The TSB is for "ticking, tapping, or popping type noise". Mine is way more than that. I feel that it is coming from the rear right belt housing and something is loose. It is a big clunk. Feels like loose part hitting mettal.
Old 01-01-2024, 12:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thx u

I have a 17 platinum also and I'm hearing the noise and yes it's driving me crazy and only during the cold weather thx this helps I'm getting them replaced ASAP.

Originally Posted by connerchilders
I don’t normally respond on any of these threads but this rattling just about drove me insane, so I figured I’d try to help anyone dealing with the same extremely annoying issue. If your rattling noise is far worse in cold weather then I can almost say for certain that your shock mounts are the issue. I can’t find the thread that I saw that on originally, but I had my doubts because to me the noise sounded like it was inside the interior, not anything to do with rear suspension. I purchased 2 new rear shock mounts for my ‘17 Platinum. When I installed them, I didn’t see anything at all visibly wrong with the old ones so I thought it was going to be a waste of time, but to my surprise I haven’t had a rattle since! I was so thankful to figure this out. Hopefully this will help someone else. I will put the link to the part I used below.

Monroe Shocks & Struts Strut-Mate 904985 Suspension Shock Mounting Kit
[img]images/misc/amazon_icon.gif[/img] Amazon