All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Nees some help w/ custom VQ swap, cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 07:51 PM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by allen22
Broaner,
I need some help man, what did your cooling issue turn out to be? Mine's overheating too and it doesn't appear that the thermostat is ever opening.

I've got the hose from the front of the motor going to the bottom of my rad and the hose from the back going to the top of the rad.

thanks in advance,
allen
I saw your radiator setup on the other forum, and your fan covers very little surface area of your radiator.. That's my guess. Either get one more fan and have 2 fans, or make a shroud.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo3112
I saw your radiator setup on the other forum, and your fan covers very little surface area of your radiator.. That's my guess. Either get one more fan and have 2 fans, or make a shroud.

If it overheated in traffic or hard driving, etc. I'd agree with you but I don't think my thermostat ever opened, it just slowly heated up then overheated while idleing.

I found the other thread about taking out the thermostat, I'll try that for now I guess.

allen
Old 11-05-2005, 04:32 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Got some more vids up.
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...postcount=1619

In the vids of me you can hear that the doughnut was cut short. This was due to the fact that the motor was cutting out. This is what I've been talking about. After being on it for about 15 seconds consecutively the motor will basically shut off. It goes into a sort of safe mode. Once it gets in this "mode" it won't rev past ~3 even in nuetral. It can go wide open below this RPM but once it gets to this RPM, no matter the throttle position, it cuts no matter what. To get out of this mode I shut it down and let it sit for a couple minutes. Then I can start it up and it will be perfectly fine. What is this from? Anyone experience this?

I was thinking it might be the oil pressure sensor tripping the ECU into safe mode due to the severe angle of the motor and the less than optimal forward oil pickup. But I disconnected the Oil Pressure sensor and it did exactly the same thing. I can't really figure out a way to test if its the fuel, ignition or both cutting out because I have to test it while its happening. Unless someone wants to volunteer to sit on the hood and hold a multimeter in the injectors and coils while I'm going wide open up to about 100MPH.

Then I was thinking maybe the fuel pump was getting overwhelmed from pumping for so long(Because I don't have my Walbro in it yet). But my FP gauge is reading what I would expect. It sits in the high 30's at idle, drops to ~32psi when I go WOT at low RPM and steadily climbs. Once it goes in this mode the pressure stays totally normal.