All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

E-gas TB

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006 | 01:44 PM
Hoooper

E-gas TB

is there any replacement for the 5.5 gen e-gas throttle body thats better? such as the pathfinder throttle body but with the e-gas instead of cable?
Old 02-09-2006 | 07:36 PM
Hoooper

answers are always appreciated
Old 02-09-2006 | 08:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The pathfinder throttle body and the one you have now are both 70mm so there would be no advantage there.
Old 02-09-2006 | 08:53 PM
Hoooper

what i mean is a better one...
Old 02-09-2006 | 08:58 PM

Read what you posted. You made it sound as if you thought the pathfinder throttle body would be an upgrade. Furthermore, what do you mean by better? Bigger? Either way, the stock throttle body is NOT the bottleneck when it comes to making serious n/a power, at all.
Old 02-09-2006 | 09:01 PM

nismology i wanna slap you!
Old 02-09-2006 | 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by MaxGordon7
nismology i wanna slap you!
Do you and Hoooper have a thing going on? If not, STFU and leave this thread if you don't have anything useful to add.
Old 02-09-2006 | 09:27 PM
Hoooper

he said that because you cannot interpret anything. when ppl do the vq35 swap they use a pathfinder tb because it flows like an e-gas tb, but it uses cable...so its an upgrade from the vq35 tb. im saying is there an upgrade for the e-gas tb? i guess you answered my question, even though you didnt want to.
Old 02-09-2006 | 09:51 PM
Custom User Title

the Titan TB comes to mind.... It's E-
Old 02-10-2006 | 01:17 AM
Need A Light?

if you change the TB to cable wouldn't the ECU turn since the ECU relies on the electrical signals from the TB?
Old 02-10-2006 | 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Hoooper
he said that because you cannot interpret anything. when ppl do the vq35 swap they use a pathfinder tb because it flows like an e-gas tb, but it uses cable...so its an upgrade from the vq35 tb. im saying is there an upgrade for the e-gas tb? i guess you answered my question, even though you didnt want to.
I can interpret things pretty well but i'm just not understanding what you're trying to ask for. How is a TB that has the same inner diameter an upgrade?
Old 02-10-2006 | 07:23 AM
Kevlo for President

Us 4th genners dont have E- So we use the pathy to keep the cable and cruise....
Old 02-10-2006 | 07:35 AM
vsamoylov

you guys are just jealous of the e-gas
and hooper, this is about post # 8
think about what you said
"when ppl do the vq35 swap they use a pathfinder tb because it flows like an e-gas tb, but it uses cable...so its an upgrade from the vq35 tb"
so if the pathfinder tb flows like a e-gas tb, the only difference is that one is cable and the other is electronic
i dont see how a tb that uses cable is a upgrade from the same size tb that uses e-gas
Old 02-10-2006 | 07:37 AM
Kevlo for President

I just said that

Not all of us have a spare 2k2maxima to take parts from
Old 02-10-2006 | 07:50 AM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
I just said that

Not all of us have a spare 2k2maxima to take parts from
not my fault
Old 02-10-2006 | 08:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
you guys are just jealous of the e-gas
i dont see how a tb that uses cable is a upgrade from the same size tb that uses e-gas
After driving and racing with an e-gas setup for 2 years I can tell you that I am looking forward to a cable driven 3.5.

At least you know for sure the throttle is open 100% when you step on it. I really didn't notice any lag with the e-gas but I do consider the cable setup an upgrade.
Old 02-10-2006 | 11:30 AM
brotherhood of tq

i think u guys are trying to be difficult here. he's just asking if there is a larger e-gas tb that he can swap in. like something 80+mm. simple. no need for all these posts about wat he said when we all kno wat he meant. and i assume he mentioned the pathy tb because us 4th gens us it to replace out cable driven tb with a larger cable driven tb. he wants the similar but just in the e-gay fashion.

i failed to see where he asked for imput on if its worth doing or a good idea.
Old 02-10-2006 | 11:33 AM
vsamoylov

please stop saying e-gay. it is e-gas and there are both positive and negative side of e-gas but it still better then cable
Old 02-10-2006 | 11:36 AM
Need A Light?

haha.....what advantages of egas is there over cable? not tryin to start anything here...just want to hear your side of the story

and for my side of the story.....my e-gas (2k2) is NOT as responsive as my old cable (96 4th gen)....theres just no comparison....when I slightly tap the throttle on a cable driven TB...the revs respond much better than e-gas
Old 02-10-2006 | 11:38 AM

Any throttle body that relies on an electrical signal is not an upgrade from a cable driven throttle body. With an e-TB the throttle opens as much as the ecu lets it. So throttle position becomes a mapped parameter just like ignition timing, and it is the Nissan engineers that determine that, not your foot.
Old 02-10-2006 | 11:40 AM
vsamoylov

the only downside i can think of right now is the butterfly not opening 100% when you are WOT. that can be corrected with a ecu upgrade.
Old 02-10-2006 | 11:41 AM

the only downside i can think of right now is the butterfly not opening 100% when you are WOT. that can be corrected with a ecu upgrade.
A better upgrade is a cable driven TB.
Old 02-10-2006 | 11:45 AM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
if that was a better upgrade, manufacturers and not just nissan would still be using cable driven. and what you just posted makes you seem ignorant in your ways of cable and nothign else
Old 02-10-2006 | 11:58 AM

if that was a better upgrade, manufacturers and not just nissan would still be using cable driven. and what you just posted makes you seem ignorant in your ways of cable and nothign else
Not everything a manufacturer does is with performance in mind. Are restrictive exhaust systems with catalytic convertors an upgrade from a free flowing exhaust? Are egr and other anti-pollution devices upgrades?

The e-gay TB is what manufacturers are being forced to go to in order to meet ever stricter pollution and fuel economy requirements.

And that "ignorant" comment just earned you a little vacation.
Old 02-10-2006 | 12:32 PM
Need A Light?

why don't you try boring your stock TB hoooper? you might be able to squeeze more air like that...

and still keep it E-GAS!
Old 02-10-2006 | 12:53 PM
maxS

cable = old school
egas = new hotness
sometimes some ppl just cant accept progress, they keep fighting for old things and ways ... so why not stay carburated, no abs, drum brakes, have a distributor and sparkplug wires, also whack v-tec, vias, vanos etc... so u get the point. Thus when it's time to move on, MOVE ON!!!
Old 02-10-2006 | 12:58 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by maxS
cable = old school
egas = new hotness
sometimes some ppl just cant accept progress, they keep fighting for old things and ways ... so why not stay carburated, no abs, drum brakes, have a distributor and sparkplug wires, also whack v-tec, vias, vanos etc... so u get the point. Thus when it's time to move on, MOVE ON!!!
yes this is true...and i will agree with you...to a certain point...now answer this

take a vq30 cable driven TB and slighty tap the gas....
now take a vq35 with the e-gas TB and slightly tap the gas...

which one responds much better?
Old 02-10-2006 | 01:04 PM
maxS

Any throttle body that relies on an electrical signal is not an upgrade from a cable driven throttle body. With an e-TB the throttle opens as much as the ecu lets it. So throttle position becomes a mapped parameter just like ignition timing, and it is the Nissan engineers that determine that, not your foot.
same story here... why not move on and get into programming here... why not just figureout how to hack into the ecu and make work the way you want it to work... not easy, yes, but that's where the industry is going with electronics and computers controlling things, isn't it? I personally do not want to stay in the past like those ppl with mustangs other junk
Old 02-10-2006 | 01:10 PM

It is also possible that it is more economical for manufacturers to go with e-gas. There is no need for separate actuators and cruise control modules. Also, the throttle body can go anywhere in the engine bay without having to consider cable routing.

I have it on my newly transplanted 3.5. It is a novel idea. I would prefer a cable. One less complicated and expensive thing with the possibility to malfunction.
Old 02-10-2006 | 01:10 PM
maxS

Originally Posted by steven88
yes this is true...and i will agree with you...to a certain point...now answer this

take a vq30 cable driven TB and slighty tap the gas....
now take a vq35 with the e-gas TB and slightly tap the gas...

which one responds much better?
ok, this is an easy one:
i line up my 4th gen with cbl-driven tb against my wife's vq35 with egas WITH my WIFE as a DRIVER... all i will see is the taillights... every single time.
Old 02-10-2006 | 01:13 PM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by eng92
It is also possible that it is more economical for manufacturers to go with e-gas. There is no need for separate actuators and cruise control modules. Also, the throttle body can go anywhere in the engine bay without having to consider cable routing.

I have it on my newly transplanted 3.5. It is a novel idea. I would prefer a cable. One less complicated and expensive thing with the possibility to malfunction.
same thing goes here. throw away your ignition and go to a distributor. throw away fuel injection and get a carb.stop being in denial because it is progress no matter what you guys think. and most of the time mechanical parts fail not electrical
Old 02-10-2006 | 01:24 PM

same thing goes here. throw away your ignition and go to a distributor. throw away fuel injection and get a carb.stop being in denial because it is progress no matter what you guys think. and most of the time mechanical parts fail not electrical
You need to get a perspective on this Vasily. This is the ALL MOTOR form. The predominant pov is things that increase performance are good.

Technological advances such as distributorless COP ignition and fuel injection have helped performance and reduced emissions tremendously. In comparison, what has e-gas done for the typical ALL MOTOR junkee ???.
Old 02-10-2006 | 01:25 PM
3.5 in the works

ok, this is an easy one:
i line up my 4th gen with cbl-driven tb against my wife's vq35 with egas WITH my WIFE as a DRIVER... all i will see is the taillights... every single time.
That has nothing to do with E-gas vs cable. Throttle response and acceleration are 2 different things.
Old 02-10-2006 | 01:31 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by eng92
... what has e-gas done for the typical ALL MOTOR junkee ???.

well..um, let's see... ... weight reduction?

This thread is amusing.
Old 02-10-2006 | 01:32 PM
Kevlo for President

This thread is

You guys are starting to go WAY too broad on the subject, we need to ONLY stick to the egas in the Maxima, not the entire industry. Egas will ALWAYS be slower in the Maxima because the ECU has too much to control and cannot keep up.
Old 02-10-2006 | 01:38 PM
I'm needing a caw

Look people. The All motor section is one of the last areas to be relatively free from idiot posts.

This thread is done.

In the future, if you really have comments, PM them to each other
Old 02-10-2006 | 02:18 PM

cable = old school
egas = new hotness
Maybe, but in this case, what is the real advantage with the e-TB compared to cable? It exists solely to prevent the operator from exceeding predetermined limits on how much throttle is applied and how quickly.

This reminds me of a discussion I had about 15-20 years ago on rec.autos.tech. I was criticizing auto manufacturers for going away from timing chains to timing belts and questioning whether they ought to be used on interference engines. One guy laughed at me for being such a Luddite, saying that timing belts were the future. He pretty much used the same argument as you. And now how many performance engines does Nissan make with timing belts?
Old 02-10-2006 | 02:21 PM

and most of the time mechanical parts fail not electrical
That is an absolutely ludicrous statement. I know you're not being serious.
Old 02-10-2006 | 02:26 PM

ok, this is an easy one:
You can't be serious. How about lining up your wife's VQ35 against my cable driven VQ30? The result might be a little different. cough370hpcough.