All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Just contacted SportCompactCar...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ward's top 10 list is based on cars worth less than 50,000$ new. That means "normal" cars and excludes lambos, etc.

Once they solve the head lift issues I bet we'll see alot more stock VQ35's over 500whp. So far the record is 619whp I think.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:26 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
having a great motor for tunning and having a motor that has a wards award is two different things.

we are very lucky to have a good motor its just that its dropped into an azz backwards car. if the vq was always in a z car then people would rank it in the 2jz, ls? catagory and such.
LOL i notice your point is always counterproductive to the statement.

Freddy: I like my car.
Will: Yea, but it's a slow FWD piece of crap that weighs more than any maxima ever made, due to its leather interior. By the way, I have one too, but it's the ****.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:31 PM
vsamoylov

this is turning into an awesome thread. this is what the forum should be like.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:33 PM
brotherhood of tq

Originally Posted by tavarish
LOL i notice your point is always counterproductive to the statement.

Freddy: I like my car.
Will: Yea, but it's a slow FWD piece of crap that weighs more than any maxima ever made, due to its leather interior. By the way, I have one too, but it's the ****.
my point is normally just honest truth...i dont pick sides

i am happy you like your car, hence why its yours.

and your idea of fast/slow is and would probally be different then mine so i can be able to say its slow if thats how i feel. and you know i hate many things about my car so my car isnt the ****. and eric's car weighs more then yours so you are ok.

and fwd=piece of crap. just imagine what we as a forum could have done with a awd/rwd max judging by what we have managed to accomplish so far
Old 09-06-2006, 06:03 PM
aka The Doom Ship

and fwd=piece of crap. just imagine what we as a forum could have done with a awd/rwd max judging by what we have managed to accomplish so far
One minor correction:

If the Maxima was AWD but the engine was FWD oriented we would still have the same problems.

But if it was RWD biased...
Old 09-06-2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
One minor correction:

If the Maxima was AWD but the engine was FWD oriented we would still have the same problems.

But if it was RWD biased...
EVO's do just fine, thank you very much.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Hoooper

just imagine what we as a forum could have done with a awd/rwd max judging by what we have managed to accomplish so far
thats true, we dont have nearly the same support that other cars have, yet have accomplished the same things, someday im sure we will see a completely gutted, low compression high boost 4.5gen in the 10s and lower. maybe a 10sec max will make the covers, but our problem is that we dont like things that dont go fast (for the most part). since we dont have many sniny engine parts, many cars with flashy kits, or nasty 20" chromies, the mags really dont care that much. mags dont care that you can get 5 people comfortably home from the grocery store with groceries (1/4 mile away) in 12.5 seconds

allblack, its not really about the front biased engine, its about the FWD. its not that we couldnt get the engine to make the power (because of room or otherwise), its that things WILL break and traction WILL be a problem

Old 09-06-2006, 06:11 PM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by nismology
EVO's do just fine, thank you very much.
and so do the subarus. i dont see how that will be a problem if that set-up existed with the maxima.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:11 PM
aka The Doom Ship

In fact,
The FWD issue is the ONLY issue I have with my Maxima. Everthing else can be improved through aftermarket.

Ok, my only other issue is that it seems that the VQ engine in the Maximas are not being improved like the VQs in the G35 and 350Zs and the M35 if you will.

But again, with an intake, headers, cat-back and AFC you can still run with them.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:18 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
and so do the subarus. i dont see how that will be a problem if that set-up existed with the maxima.
Come on guys,
You're talking about a 4cylinder EVO? Much more room no matter how you mount the engine. Not the case with the VQ.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:20 PM
Hoooper

Come on guys,
You're talking about a 4cylinder EVO? Much more room no matter how you mount the engine. Not the case with the VQ.
room not the problem...and i doubt the evo has more room under the hood. its a smaller engine sure, but so is the engine compartment

Old 09-06-2006, 06:25 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by Hoooper
allblack, its not really about the front biased engine, its about the FWD. its not that we couldnt get the engine to make the power (because of room or otherwise), its that things WILL break and traction WILL be a problem
I've already sat down with folks that do custom turbo work and we both agree that the piping for a turbo setup on a 6th Gen Max would be a pain. First of all the motor mounts are in the way just to start.

Anyway, if the engine was rear biased we could much easily modify any of the 5 or 6 turbo kits for the 350Z for our cars.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:25 PM

Come on guys,

The number of cylinders has nothing to do with anything in this case. You do realize that with identical bore spacing and diameter a V6 will have a similar, if not shorter length than an inline-4, right?
Old 09-06-2006, 06:28 PM
vsamoylov

Come on guys,
the engine bay of those cars dont have alot of room either but it easy to understand what you mean though. the maxima bay isnt that empty either.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:30 PM
vsamoylov

I've already sat down with folks that do custom turbo work and we both agree that the piping for a turbo setup on a 6th Gen Max would be a pain. First of all the motor mounts are in the way just to start.

Anyway, if the engine was rear biased we could much easily modify any of the 5 or 6 turbo kits for the 350Z for our cars.
motor mounts are not the biggest problem. they do get in the way but you can alsways figure something out like removing the one that holds the motor to the frame. then that would leave you with 2 motor mounts and a tranny mount and that is how it is with the rwd cars. look at the vq on the 350z and g35 for example.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:43 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by nismology

The number of cylinders has nothing to do with anything in this case. You do realize that with identical bore spacing and diameter a V6 will have a similar, if not shorter length than an inline-4, right?
If length is similar then the width has to be different. And so with the V6s you can't mount the turbos close to the manifolds like you see with the inline 4 setups. The turbos would be too close to the radiator and firewall.

You have other problems with a single turbo setup.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:31 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

If length is similar then the width has to be different. And so with the V6s you can't mount the turbos close to the manifolds like you see with the inline 4 setups. The turbos would be too close to the radiator and firewall.

You have other problems with a single turbo setup.
as far as turbo setups, we don't have it bad. I've seen MANY different setups when it comes to placement, and pipes (intercooled and non) And our engine bay isn't cramped at all (have you ever seen a Ford Probe/MX-6 V6?), the worst thing to work on would be the rear header, or power steering pump.

Also, we have a V layout, not an inline layout, so it would be impractical to have a turbo close to the manifold, because the other manifold would have to power the turbo as well.

Someone just finished a twin turbo maxima, so i think single turbo should be fine.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:44 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by JClaw
Once they solve the head lift issues I bet we'll see alot more stock VQ35's over 500whp. So far the record is 619whp I think.
That may have already been accomplished with the L19 head studs.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:51 PM

Where is that twin turbo max, forced induction? I wuld luv to see the #s he puts down. Anything could be accomplished if u put ur mind to it, not to mention $.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:06 PM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by MaxBlack97
Where is that twin turbo max, forced induction? I wuld luv to see the #s he puts down. Anything could be accomplished if u put ur mind to it, not to mention $.
I really doubt he would put down more than a single.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:08 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Yeah I want to see this twin turbo Maxima myself.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:38 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Yeah I want to see this twin turbo Maxima myself.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=481895
Old 09-06-2006, 09:21 PM
SLOW

lol @ VQs not being able to put down 450whp on stock motors
Old 09-06-2006, 09:53 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
lol @ VQs not being able to put down 450whp on stock motors
apparently so. should have bought an EVO.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Hoooper

thats a 6th gen max, those are really far out of a sport compact magazine, at least the 3-5gens were sport, matches half of the requirements.

PS: i know of turbo 4th and 5th gens, and im sure theres a turbo 3rd gen so saying theres not enough room for turbo is off base

Old 09-06-2006, 11:24 PM

A supra is bigger than a maxima! All you have to do nowadays, is buy a scion tc. Put a system in it and lambo doors and you are in! What they all forget is the hugh aftermarket for all those cars. Must be nice to be able to go to the local market and buy an exhaust and intake for your civic. We have to fight and scrape for every part we get. One last thing, none of those cars have an engine as smooth and well built as ours.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:00 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by tavarish
You can't be serious! His setup looks like crap! And you really think a rats nest like this will make a magazine???

That's another part of the problem, the engine bay of the Maximas out there that are turbo'd look horrible. They will never make it into a mag.

Now post some links to a CLEAN, polished turbo setup. Not something with a bunch of dirty wires and rusted looking pipes. sheeeshh.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:11 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Everyone in this thread is just p!ssed that they own a great looking car with a great engine but has the totally wrong drivetrain. Everyone comes to a point that they decide to switch from wrong wheel drive. It just takes longer for some. If Max's were RWD they'd be the best entry level sport sedan on the Market every gen except the 6th.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Broaner
Everyone in this thread is just p!ssed that they own a great looking car with a great engine but has the totally wrong drivetrain. Everyone comes to a point that they decide to switch from wrong wheel drive. It just takes longer for some. If Max's were RWD they'd be the best entry level sport sedan on the Market every gen except the 6th.
I'd love to own a RWD 95 max. That would be a real keeper.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:12 AM
aka The Doom Ship

If Max's were RWD they'd be the best entry level sport sedan on the Market every gen except the 6th.
Why except the 6th??? IMO, the early 6th Gen 2004-2006 are the best Maximas period. Independent rear suspension, the most power and torque, the best interior, the most room, on and on and on.

But you're right,
If the Max was RWD 400-600HP would be the norm. Well, I can only speak for the 6th Gen.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:26 AM

Why except the 6th??? IMO, the early 6th Gen 2004-2006 are the best Maximas period. Independent rear suspension, the most power and torque, the best interior, the most room, on and on and on.

But you're right,
If the Max was RWD 400-600HP would be the norm. Well, I can only speak for the 6th Gen.
Who cares about the IRS when they tip the scales at a whopping 3500 lbs. I'd take my old solid axle, 2900 lbs 95 over a 6th gen any day. The turn radius is even worse than 5th gens. The wheelbase is even longer. From a sporty perspective the weight, length, girth and size is the worst enemy of any car. In road racing they often classify the cars by wheelbase.

I absolutely hate the interior. 4th gen is pretty damn good and 5th gens have by far and away the best maxima interior ever. Last Jap-made maximas, too.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:37 AM
vsamoylov

IMO, the early 6th Gen 2004-2006 are the best Maximas period.
your kidding right?

Old 09-07-2006, 08:42 AM
SLOW

Definately. Having a transmission that isn't super weak doesn't help either. Funny thing is, the transmissions nissan usually puts in their RWD cars are pretty strong (talking about z32 and z33 here, I don't really know about the 4cyl rwd cars).
Old 09-07-2006, 08:47 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by JClaw
Who cares about the IRS when they tip the scales at a whopping 3500 lbs. I'd take my old solid axle, 2900 lbs 95 over a 6th gen any day. The turn radius is even worse than 5th gens. The wheelbase is even longer. From a sporty perspective the weight, length, girth and size is the worst enemy of any car. In road racing they often classify the cars by wheelbase.

I absolutely hate the interior. 4th gen is pretty damn good and 5th gens have by far and away the best maxima interior ever. Last Jap-made maximas, too.
We've already discussed Supras and GT-Rs that way over 3500 pounds and out perform any Maxima you can try to create.

You claim to know so much about the term sport then you should know that 99% of the sports cars out there have IRS.

Like I said before, I OWNED an '02, '03, and '04 and the rear wheel hop going over bumps in a turn in my 5.5 Gens was horrible.

Who cares about turning radius. It only becomes an issue when I make U turns or maybe parking. During aggressive driving it is absolutely NOT an issue.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:56 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Give me a 6th Gen Max 6 spsd, intake, headers, catback, AFC, coilovers, and RSB. Take your 1995 Max 5spd, intake, headers, catback, AFC, coilovers, and RSB.

No other engine modifications.

You don't think I will smoke you and out-corner you? LOL! You're in fairy tail land.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:01 AM
3.5 in the works

Haha true true... I'd take the RWD any day which is why my next vehicle will be RWD..

Actually I do own a RWD vehicle but it's a truck... and I'm not racing it.. one car at a time is enough. lol
Old 09-07-2006, 09:02 AM
vsamoylov

Give me a 6th Gen Max 6 spsd, intake, headers, catback, AFC, coilovers, and RSB. Take your 1995 Max 5spd, intake, headers, catback, AFC, coilovers, and RSB.

No other engine modifications.

You don't think I will smoke you and out-corner you? LOL! You're in fairy tail land.
give me a 4th gen max with a vq35 6 speed, 350z IM, headers, catback, coilovers, rsb, strut bars

wait i have one of those.

you dont think i will beat a 6th gen? and so will every other 4th gen maxima out there with a vq35 swap. and even the 5.5 gen maximas.
the point is power to weight ratio

Old 09-07-2006, 09:04 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
give me a 4th gen max with a vq35 6 speed, 350z IM, headers, catback, coilovers, rsb, strut bars

wait i have one of those.

you dont think i will beat a 6th gen? and so will every other 4th gen maxima out there with a vq35 swap. and even the 5.5 gen maximas.
the point is power to weight ratio
NO SWAP buddy!

I said Stock engine!

That's why ya'll busy swappin' now, cause you know that 190hp engine is weak.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:18 AM
3.5 in the works

Yah, so weak that you can make 270 N/A hp with it on stock internals (no cams) and run high 12's with a little weight reduction.

Is it as strong as the VQ35? Of course not, it's got .5L less displacement and 7 years older technology. But weak? Not exactly.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:32 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Every time I see a new Max I get disgusted. The styling is rediculous. Sure they haul but they are no longer midsize sedans. They're d@mn near Buick's. 6th gens are the poorest excuse of cars Nissan has made in 10 years IMO. Now, the Alti SE-R's are different. If they were RWD they could easily compete with every entry to mid level sport sedan on the market.

IRS in a front drive car is a moot point IMO. More or less just the design the manufacturers chose. Its system has its attributes.

Neal, your definitely right about the beefier RWD trannies. Those engineered for the bigger cars can handle serious power. But the SR, CA, KA 4 banger trannies are pathetically weak.

Dandy, do you have anything in mind for cars yet or are you totally unbiased still? A seriously bad@ss S15 seems to me like it would fit you really well. You're always doing this wierd and crazy electronic trickery.

Quick Reply: Just contacted SportCompactCar...