All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

My n/a project

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:44 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

I would use stock coils - they're not cheap as new replacements, but you CAN replace one easily if one goes bad.

If you need more spark, I can show you how to install my Voltage Booster and you can make as much spark as you want to - and it costs about $50. I originally built it to make more sparks for my nitrous motors, plus it's real simple to install. I still run .035" gap on all my plugs.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by grey99max
I would use stock coils - they're not cheap as new replacements, but you CAN replace one easily if one goes bad.

If you need more spark, I can show you how to install my Voltage Booster and you can make as much spark as you want to - and it costs about $50. I originally built it to make more sparks for my nitrous motors, plus it's real simple to install. I still run .035" gap on all my plugs.

Is it easy to figure/locate when a coil goes out ? I'm just trying to limit the number of variable that can go wrong. But if that is easy to locate I can certainly put the stocker back and wait until something goes wrong but what code would I get with a bad coil ?
Old 05-29-2009, 03:25 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by doublea
Is it easy to figure/locate when a coil goes out ? I'm just trying to limit the number of variable that can go wrong. But if that is easy to locate I can certainly put the stocker back and wait until something goes wrong but what code would I get with a bad coil ?
There is a nice recording and diagnostics software program, by "blaZt" - in Australia - that does all sorts of good things - like you can turn OFF one cylinder at a time, and it does datalogging from the "consult" port on your ECU, under the dash. Take a look - I like it - and keep the stock coils.

Web link: http://www.blazt.biz/index.php

Australians seem to love their Nissans.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:16 PM

There is a nice recording and diagnostics software program, by "blaZt" - in Australia - that does all sorts of good things - like you can turn OFF one cylinder at a time, and it does datalogging from the "consult" port on your ECU, under the dash. Take a look - I like it - and keep the stock coils.

Do you think it worth buying the kit with the data logger ? I've seen it before and was tempted but my laptop is a mac, but I'm currently shopping for a net-book with touchscreen.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:20 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Do you think it worth buying the kit with the data logger ? I've seen it before and was tempted but my laptop is a mac, but I'm currently shopping for a net-book with touchscreen.
Yeah, the whole package is worth it - you get the datalogging of selected activities, full control of many parts of the car for testing, and good reviews or logged data. You might want to consider getting a Windows notebook as well... some things are standards, like it or not. It's another tool, like a set of sockets.

Personally I prefer Linux, and I understand that the latest Mac OS is based on BSD Linux/unix. Something there for everybody, I guess.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:30 AM

Yeah, the whole package is worth it - you get the datalogging of selected activities, full control of many parts of the car for testing, and good reviews or logged data. You might want to consider getting a Windows notebook as well... some things are standards, like it or not. It's another tool, like a set of sockets.

Personally I prefer Linux, and I understand that the latest Mac OS is based on BSD Linux/unix. Something there for everybody, I guess.

Probably going to order an Acer Aspire Notebook. I like the fact that it is small since I want to mount it in the car also the bigger battery give you 8 hours of autonomy.

While at this, I tempted to buy the Innovate LC-1 as an O2 wideband, the way I understand I could use with EU right ? The I can use the blaZt software to diagnose problems and control some other area that EU dont, would there be a duplicate in this set-up or did I get it ?

( I still need to read a lot about this, so dont get me wrong, but being a computer consultant I'm not worried about learning electronic & programming stuff) I'm very close to finish my project, so I want to buy all the electronics this week and start to make the wire harness from the ECU to the EU but also to wire the car for the O2 wide band, I want to make a permanent & very clean set-up.

Thanks for the advise.

Cheers

AA

There is a local org.member VQ'ed who is going to come and help me plug everything and start the engine. My goals is to start N/A as I was suggested but have everything ready to tune the car properly, once the engine is break in we will install the S/C.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:33 AM

Ok I'm keeping the stock coil, I'd be also interested to see how you can provide higher voltage, was that to or from the coil ? But I'm curious to learn about this.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:03 AM

I have also checked the XD-16 wich is a pretty cool 16 in 1 display but I one thing I want to avoid is any distraction while driving, like the need to push button to check A/F or anything like that. I'm thinking of using my 3 gauge pod for A/F ratio, boost pressure, and probably temps or whatever informations would be best to displayed at all time. Does the laptop can kind of replace the XD-16 and display all the other informations ? I know it's alot of questions but I'm close to the end and I want to make sure I hit the nail in one shot. Lol

* I just read on Innovate website and the logworks software display the infos.

Last edited by doublea; 05-31-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:08 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Ok I'm keeping the stock coil, I'd be also interested to see how you can provide higher voltage, was that to or from the coil ? But I'm curious to learn about this.
It's really fairly simple. There is one wire from the EMS relay that feeds all six coils with battery voltage. On the 4th gen cars, the one wire goes through a connector near the battery - in my case, it's a red wire. This wire can be cut - and put male and female connectors on the ends so you can re-connect them.

Now, usually just battery voltage gets to the coils - but if you provide a higher voltage to the coils, they will put out much more voltage. I use 15 volts, and some others may use 16 volts. That's all you need to keep a decent spark gap. I run a 175-shot of nitrous at .035" gap on the plugs, which works quite well.

How do you raise the coil voltage? I use an automotive power supply with internal regulation and a switchable output. See it here: http://www.powerstream.com/dc2.htm I use the PST-P90W model. Just feed the power supply from the EMS relay connection and connect the switched output to the coil feed wire. Set it to 15 volts to start.

Enjoy - that's why I still use stock coils. And it's not even expensive.
My installation: http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...t/Dscn1618.jpg

Old 05-31-2009, 08:56 PM
Turbo'd Saab

It's really fairly simple. There is one wire from the EMS relay that feeds all six coils with battery voltage. On the 4th gen cars, the one wire goes through a connector near the battery - in my case, it's a red wire. This wire can be cut - and put male and female connectors on the ends so you can re-connect them.

Now, usually just battery voltage gets to the coils - but if you provide a higher voltage to the coils, they will put out much more voltage. I use 15 volts, and some others may use 16 volts. That's all you need to keep a decent spark gap. I run a 175-shot of nitrous at .035" gap on the plugs, which works quite well.

How do you raise the coil voltage? I use an automotive power supply with internal regulation and a switchable output. See it here: http://www.powerstream.com/dc2.htm I use the PST-P90W model. Just feed the power supply from the EMS relay connection and connect the switched output to the coil feed wire. Set it to 15 volts to start.

Do you need to ground anything?
Old 05-31-2009, 09:03 PM
Turbo'd Saab

are you gonna have a stereo in the car doublea?

I was going to setup a carpc in my maxima and have the suprastick, emanage, obdII, and other stuff plug in and have access to change the stuff on the fly. They can be done for around $600-800.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:29 AM

That's a very smart set-up, thanks for the tips again, I just order the power supply and will kind of copy your set-up.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
are you gonna have a stereo in the car doublea?

I was going to setup a carpc in my maxima and have the suprastick, emanage, obdII, and other stuff plug in and have access to change the stuff on the fly. They can be done for around $600-800.
I have the stock Bose HU that came with the car, but eventually I will swap the system for a much better one. I was checking at the Bang & Olufsen but my pocket not being that deep I'll probably get a Boston Acoustic system, but it's all speculative at this point.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:21 AM

Just got my fuel line 10 minutes ago, I will try to install those today. I also picked up 4 size of rubber hoses for the vacuum line & others,( 1/2", 5/16", 3/8" and 1/4 " ) it only cost me only 30$ to get like 2-3 feet of each size. While picking the fuel lines I ordered some other hoses from Nissan since they are molded one but I' fabricating all the others. Finally a couple of friends are going to help me drop the engine with the AT attached to it when everything is here, I'm no longer giving date since it never happend the day I wanted too. I'm supposed to have the AT housing ready for media blasting later this week, I'll bring it to the paint shop hopefully next week, the chrome stuff will take at least 2 weeks to get here, so the install day has been pushed back to another 2-3 weeks. One thing I learned with this project is, that it is near to impossible to predict anything. Even though I'm quite good at planning a schedule, as soon as it's goes out, things have tendency to slip and one week become three and so on so forth. At this point I'm just breathing by the nose so to speak and wait patiently for things to arrived, once it's here then I know things will get done efficiently.

Last edited by doublea; 06-01-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Kevlo for President

****, i might as well do it and see how the gains are NA
Old 06-01-2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
****, i might as well do it and see how the gains are NA
I Order the same PS this morning, it only cost 48.75$ + 17.00$ to ship Canada.

grey99max, your DA man.

The performance coil where like over 500$ US.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:02 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

I Order the same PS this morning, it only cost 48.75$ + 17.00$ to ship Canada.

grey99max, your DA man.

The performance coil where like over 500$ US.
That's great - I bet that the Voltage Boosta is the cheapest thing you've done yet!
Old 06-01-2009, 08:46 PM

That's one of the best bang for the buck for sure, Lol. But you would be surprise, I have cleaned a crap load of bolts on the bench grinder and that cost me nothing. Today I did cut a bunch of vacuum hoses that only cost 30$.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:19 AM

Just got an e-mail from Jason Dear for the blaZt kit, he mentioned that a new functionality will allow the software to interface with the ECU map, that should be available soon. I'm going to order the full kit.

I also received another e-mail from Ryan Zupancic from Innovate Motorsports, he suggested that I get the Innovate LC-1 with DB, so I'll bite the bullet and order that as well.

I'll check to see if there is some GD on the LC-1 and EU an order asap.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:56 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Just got an e-mail from Jason Dear for the blaZt kit, he mentioned that a new functionality will allow the software to interface with the ECU map, that should be available soon. I'm going to order the full kit.
Really? Thanks for the blaZt info - I'll check up on that, to see if I can upgrade my package. Interesting.....

Bolts? I spent all day Sunday cleaning and polishing over 100 bolts for my ongoing engine build. That takes way too much time, but you gotta get rid of the RTV. Plus, this one needs to look good..

Old 06-02-2009, 07:42 AM

Really? Thanks for the blaZt info - I'll check up on that, to see if I can upgrade my package. Interesting.....

Bolts? I spent all day Sunday cleaning and polishing over 100 bolts for my ongoing engine build. That takes way too much time, but you gotta get rid of the RTV. Plus, this one needs to look good..

I get so dirty when I do the polishing, that it's not even funny and the mess that is does in my garage.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:38 AM

I have a quick question since no one have answered in the S/C forum. I was told to get a ( T or is a Tee adaptor ) in order to feed the blower with oil, can I just buy any standard fitting or is it a specific one that Stillen sell ? I just bought a new oil switch, so the adaptor would screw on the block and then the oil switch would screw on the adaptor ?

I know I can get a T at the local shop but just to be sure.

Thanks
Old 06-06-2009, 06:50 AM

BTW thanks greymax99, I just ordered the blaZt software this am along with the USB cable, I'm also ordering the LC1+PB. At this point I'm only missing EU & the PC Netbook, but that will be done shortly.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:32 AM
Turbo'd Saab

I have a quick question since no one have answered in the S/C forum. I was told to get a ( T or is a Tee adaptor ) in order to feed the blower with oil, can I just buy any standard fitting or is it a specific one that Stillen sell ? I just bought a new oil switch, so the adaptor would screw on the block and then the oil switch would screw on the adaptor ?

I know I can get a T at the local shop but just to be sure.

Thanks
I would assume this is like a brass fitting...if thats the case I'm sure there is no specific one that you really need. Just get a standard T-fitting
Old 06-06-2009, 08:59 AM

Ok I nail it down this morning, I though it was metric but it's not so check what I did, I hope that the way to do it, also the latest engine pics as this am. Now just waiting for that tranny to be done and I'm ready to drop the engine.

[URL=http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/2k1maxima/?
Old 06-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Kevlo for President

Yo man, that looks so bad ***. I think you need to mod the G35 underpanel/splash guard to fit. Ive been thinking about doing it, but you need to do it for sure so that engine stays nice and clean.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
Yo man, that looks so bad ***. I think you need to mod the G35 underpanel/splash guard to fit. Ive been thinking about doing it, but you need to do it for sure so that engine stays nice and clean.
I was thinking of doing an aluminum diamond plate splash guard. I dont know if I'll just replicate the stock/plastic one or perhaps make a big square one with some folding angle that will basically cover the entire space under the engine bay. I'm trying to find a used metal folding table so I dont have to run at a shop for test fit.

That will be a nice project for those never ending winter day. Lol
Old 06-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Turbo 3.5

will that oil fitting clear the axle when installed
Old 06-07-2009, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by t6378tp
will that oil fitting clear the axle when installed
I had the same though, but I think once screwed in it should be ok. The pic was taken at an angle and I only dialed in like 1 turn. I'll fix it completely tomorrow, today is the boat day with the family.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Man that thing is a work of art.. Keep up the good work man, almost there!
Old 06-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Shift_custom

that thing is gorgeous! i just stumbled across this thread today in class.. will be following it now.. keep us updated..
Old 06-08-2009, 12:28 PM

Thank you guys for the good words, this is very encouraging me to keep a high level of quality and finishes. I hope this help others who are also passionate about their ride.

On a side note, my AT housing is going to be ready for media blasting tomorrow, the transmission shop owner will give me his evaluation of my AT when I pick-up the housing tomorrow, so hopefully there wont be too much work involve with the internals.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Silver Tooth S2K 9k FTMFW

wow looking clean dude, love the purple
Old 06-08-2009, 12:49 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Thank you guys for the good words, this is very encouraging me to keep a high level of quality and finishes. I hope this help others who are also passionate about their ride.

On a side note, my AT housing is going to be ready for media blasting tomorrow, the transmission shop owner will give me his evaluation of my AT when I pick-up the housing tomorrow, so hopefully there wont be too much work involve with the internals.
AA, that is a beautiful piece of work. I'd be scared to drive it.

I would like to hear whatever your transmission guy has to say - I'm getting worried about how my third VLSD transmission is going to handle my latest Cosworth-based engine.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:05 PM

AA, that is a beautiful piece of work. I'd be scared to drive it.

I would like to hear whatever your transmission guy has to say - I'm getting worried about how my third VLSD transmission is going to handle my latest Cosworth-based engine.
What I was told is there are kit available to replace the seals, clutch and solenoid but as far as the gear it self, I have no clue. I did a lot of research but I couldn't find anything that is related to gear, so I think this would have to be custom made and would be very expensive.

When I read Jim's exploit whit his fast N/A track car and the stock AT, I think we should be fine, but I know he's using the Suprastick, wich probably help make a better use of the AT component. I hope that I can live a year or two with my AT, then if I have to I'll have a full rebuild with level 10 or the other company that compete with them.

For now I hope that, the VB recalibration, the higher stall converter, the tranny cooler, along with whatever works they do on the AT ie: seals, clutch, solenoid and the best synthetic oil available should be fine for a while, this is what I hope. I'm also thinking of using the Suprastick, but that might be for next spring. My hat is quite full for now, dealing with all the electronic, like EU, wide band and such tell me that I'm going to spend many night in the garage before all this works fine.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:44 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

What I was told is there are kit available to replace the seals, clutch and solenoid but as far as the gear it self, I have no clue. I did a lot of research but I couldn't find anything that is related to gear, so I think this would have to be custom made and would be very expensive.
About the gears - you can have the metal parts cryoed (frozen in liquid nitrogen then slowly thawed) to increase their strength - a lot. But you probably know that....
Old 06-08-2009, 04:40 PM

About the gears - you can have the metal parts cryoed (frozen in liquid nitrogen then slowly thawed) to increase their strength - a lot. But you probably know that....
I've read few things here and there, about cryoed, but I tough it was more like part of a process when using specific material. I didn't actually tough about having the gear cryoed, but that sound like a good alternative if it's affordable. Do you happend to know an org member who did it ?

I guess I'm going to try to find a local shop that has the know how and see how much it would cost. My car will not be a track car, I might go once or twice but it will rather be a show car that I'll drive on nice summer day so to speak. With all the details that is involve I'm better do most of the work before I put it back on the road, even if I have I cant drive it this summer...( well I hope not, but you see what I mean ).
Old 06-08-2009, 08:03 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

This member did his automatic transmission:
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...hville-tn.html

And I bought his cryoed axles for my drag car.....

Here is a small shop in Kansas that cryos lots af racers' transmissions:

http://performancecryogenics.org/

Another cryo shop:

http://www.nwcryo.com/motorsports_price.html

And some details about the process:

http://www.sigmaauto.com/cryogenics/portal.php

Hope some of this helps.....
Old 06-08-2009, 08:25 PM

I'm really surprise of the price they charge, I was under the impression that it was way more expensive, I'll definitely have my AT gears and part cryoed. That sound like a cheap way to improve what I already have.

Thanks a bunch.

AA
Old 06-09-2009, 12:45 AM
KH3 by popular demand

This info should be stickied in All Motor and Supercharged/Turbocharged forums because this is a good mod to do. For those that are worried about the coils putting out a higher voltage all the time you could probably wire a relay to an rpm switch for the na guys and hobbs switch for boost guys.

Quick Reply: My n/a project