All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

grey99max building another 3.5

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 10:22 AM

Gonna be sick! That direct port is going be badass! Should distribute the nitrous and fuel perfectly.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:39 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by krazy6
Gonna be sick! That direct port is going be badass! Should distribute the nitrous and fuel perfectly.
Yup - this should be interesting. Getting everything mounted on the UIM is going to be tricky - the goal is to be able to lift the UIM and attached elbow and also take up all the new nitrous hardware - elbow-stage and first direct-port stage together. Four bolts and two nuts and everything comes up so I can get to the rear plugs.

Last edited by grey99max; 09-27-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:14 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
btw offtopic, have you tested your voltage boosta lately? Mine no longer puts out anything greater than 12v for some reason.
I checked my booster voltage yesterday, and with the engine running, it was 18.2 volts! That's a little high, but the coils weren't hot and it runs very well that way. With the engine off, it dropped to 17.8 volts.

I think I'll order a new one.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:05 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by grey99max
I checked my booster voltage yesterday, and with the engine running, it was 18.2 volts! That's a little high, but the coils weren't hot and it runs very well that way. With the engine off, it dropped to 17.8 volts.

I think I'll order a new one.
did you mess with the switch? or was it the same at all voltages
Old 09-30-2010, 09:18 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
did you mess with the switch? or was it the same at all voltages
I didn't touch the switch.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:33 AM

Damn, I guess these little things arent too reliable. Mine reads 12v no matter where the switch is at.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Turbo 3.5

Damn, I guess these little things arent too reliable. Mine reads 12v no matter where the switch is at.
you think maybe the engine bay heat is killing them
Old 09-30-2010, 07:06 PM

Ohh don't tell me this...I just put mine in
Old 09-30-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by t6378tp
you think maybe the engine bay heat is killing them
Might be, im still getting missing occasionally. Im going to remove it completely.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:58 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Mine is sitting up front, next to the radiator. Hmm... Hey, you blow out tires, don't you? And you sometimes gotta buy a replacement? The Boosta is one thing that is really worth the $60 or so that it costs. Buy another one. I am - although if the coils can handle 18 volts, I just might leave it there.

Oh. for what it's worth - I installed my Boosta with push-on connectors so that I can easily bypass it if needed. The power-in wire is split and has two push-together terminals and so does the power-out wire - but the connectors are installed so I can connect the power-in directly to the coil-power wire by just moving connections.

Since I'm building a complete new nitrous system for the first stage, while I'm under the hood, I'll flip the switch around and see what happens. My target is to get out to Heartland Park for the season's last test-n-test on Oct. 7th with one stage of nitrous. It's coming along nicely, but a bit different than most installations, since I need to be able to switch to nitrous/alcohol and also get the first stage of direct-port nitrous on the UIM. It's getting crowded there.

Last edited by grey99max; 09-30-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:06 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

A BUMP so I can find this thread for reference - nothing new to report - except I wonder if people having sluggish throttle response are blaming it on the MAF and should blame it on the knock sensor ?? Thinking of my recent experience with one..
Old 09-03-2013, 10:39 AM

A BUMP so I can find this thread for reference - nothing new to report - except I wonder if people having sluggish throttle response are blaming it on the MAF and should blame it on the knock sensor ?? Thinking of my recent experience with one..
you can rev it pass 4k?
Old 09-03-2013, 12:57 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by MaxPR0908
you can rev it pass 4k?
?? It shifts at 6500 from each gear.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:35 PM

You can wired the amp in the console so it wont be affected by the heat, that's what I did.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:18 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Another BUMP so I can keep track of this thread....
Old 03-06-2016, 03:39 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Bump

Another Bump so I don't lose track of my old thread - while I'm building a BC stroker 3.8 with HR heads and big-bump JWT cams. plus other goodies.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:40 PM

Another Bump so I don't lose track of my old thread - while I'm building a BC stroker 3.8 with HR heads and big-bump JWT cams. plus other goodies.
I am glad you are still in the game, we gotta keep autos at the top.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:09 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Howdy

I am glad you are still in the game, we gotta keep autos at the top.
Hey man, same for you and your turboed rocket ship.... I'll match my IPT Altima 4AT against any 5-6 spd manual - and any other Nissan automatic as well.

Every time I walk by my Holset HE351Ve vane turbo I think about your RMT and doing the same kinda thing. How much boost did you get from your setup? I think I don't need an intracooler when burning E85, so that would make the installation easier- well, not impossible, anyway. What do you think ??
Old 03-07-2016, 07:40 PM

Hey man, same for you and your turboed rocket ship.... I'll match my IPT Altima 4AT against any 5-6 spd manual - and any other Nissan automatic as well.

Every time I walk by my Holset HE351Ve vane turbo I think about your RMT and doing the same kinda thing. How much boost did you get from your setup? I think I don't need an intracooler when burning E85, so that would make the installation easier- well, not impossible, anyway. What do you think ??
Well at 7psi I was not intercooled, just had methanol and water which is close to being E85, I think i has knocking at 10psi non intercooled, it is not ideal. I had 20psi at one point with the rear mount, actually 23psi through the HX35 and HX40, but I quickly realized that it was just not a capable turbo, felt like it maxed out at 400hp. Had I switched to a T4 turbine housing, it would have made more power.

How is that IPT 4AT handling the power? I recently lost two gears while running my PB (11.2 at 125mph), funny thing is I actually ran that time with only 1st and 3rd. I am thinking about ordering the rebuild kit which is supposed to be the same as what you got done. However the gentlemen told me they are not in the scope of 600+ hp, so that turned me off.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:03 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Well at 7psi I was not intercooled, just had methanol and water which is close to being E85, I think i has knocking at 10psi non intercooled, it is not ideal. I had 20psi at one point with the rear mount, actually 23psi through the HX35 and HX40, but I quickly realized that it was just not a capable turbo, felt like it maxed out at 400hp. Had I switched to a T4 turbine housing, it would have made more power.

How is that IPT 4AT handling the power? I recently lost two gears while running my PB (11.2 at 125mph), funny thing is I actually ran that time with only 1st and 3rd. I am thinking about ordering the rebuild kit which is supposed to be the same as what you got done. However the gentlemen told me they are not in the scope of 600+ hp, so that turned me off.
Running completely on E85 is a long way up from methanol + water spray, E85 = effective 105 octane plus massive cooling. There are lots of 'Murican racers using turbo + E85 with no intracooler - some with stupid high boost. When tracking the last engine, temps dropped a bunch by the end of a 1/4 mile. The engine wanted to be above 160* for WOT, so warmup before staging was required. So what's your opinion on another turbo, if you could pick anything? I'm thinking 15 psi on my much modded stroker would be a good target for boost.

The two IPT 4AT builds I had done in New Jersey were great - the first one lasted for two seasons before I broke it on the street on my personal highway test-n-tune track. Don't ask.. The last one, a custom piece done on a 2006 2.5L Altima tranny for the FD of 4.45 and for the latest parts ever made for the 4AT, was tremendous and shifted immediately. I had the diffy welded because I broke too many diffys, "but I get rubber in all four gears". The IPTs were completely cryoed, larger pump, latest solenoids properly modded, tested and speced to me for +600 WHP. With M/T ET Street Radials 275/50/15 (10" tread) I could spin the tires at 90mph by tapping the "go" pedal, so the tranny proved itself on the street.

Running your last set of times with a busted tranny is impressive - very impressive. I don't know what their kit includes, but if not a full set of gears and drum, friction discs, solenoids, heat-treated shafts, and monster pump, you're leaving something on the table. Personally, I would ship them your busted tranny (better yet - a 2006 2.5 Altima tranny) and a bucket of cash and let them build it for you. First weld the diffy and swap the Altima bellhousing for your Maxima bell. You will not be disappointed - and add a hi-stall torque converter to the shopping list if you don't have a modded one yet.

Jime is gone - time for you to step up to the throne !! I'll be along later....
Old 03-08-2016, 02:53 PM

Running completely on E85 is a long way up from methanol + water spray, E85 = effective 105 octane plus massive cooling. There are lots of 'Murican racers using turbo + E85 with no intracooler - some with stupid high boost. When tracking the last engine, temps dropped a bunch by the end of a 1/4 mile. The engine wanted to be above 160* for WOT, so warmup before staging was required. So what's your opinion on another turbo, if you could pick anything? I'm thinking 15 psi on my much modded stroker would be a good target for boost.

The two IPT 4AT builds I had done in New Jersey were great - the first one lasted for two seasons before I broke it on the street on my personal highway test-n-tune track. Don't ask.. The last one, a custom piece done on a 2006 2.5L Altima tranny for the FD of 4.45 and for the latest parts ever made for the 4AT, was tremendous and shifted immediately. I had the diffy welded because I broke too many diffys, "but I get rubber in all four gears". The IPTs were completely cryoed, larger pump, latest solenoids properly modded, tested and speced to me for +600 WHP. With M/T ET Street Radials 275/50/15 (10" tread) I could spin the tires at 90mph by tapping the "go" pedal, so the tranny proved itself on the street.

Running your last set of times with a busted tranny is impressive - very impressive. I don't know what their kit includes, but if not a full set of gears and drum, friction discs, solenoids, heat-treated shafts, and monster pump, you're leaving something on the table. Personally, I would ship them your busted tranny (better yet - a 2006 2.5 Altima tranny) and a bucket of cash and let them build it for you. First weld the diffy and swap the Altima bellhousing for your Maxima bell. You will not be disappointed - and add a hi-stall torque converter to the shopping list if you don't have a modded one yet.

Jime is gone - time for you to step up to the throne !! I'll be along later....
For turbo, I really like the one I have BorgWarner S366, I have it at 20-22psi which results in 127mph trap (with 4th slipping), so maybe close to 600whp. I dont see why it wouldnt perform just as good on a rear mount, I changed to front mount last year.

I still have the stock converter which is the only reason I have not gotten a 10second time slip, I know its holding me back at least .4sec but I will for sure have an Edge converter with at minimum 3k flash stall.

What was the weakness of your first IPT unit, was it a user error that caused it to fail? My first auto I killed it myself for not giving it a break between runs.

Yeah its been long enough Jime being 1st, I still talk to him via emails and he even says the same thing of me getting that #1 spot lol.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:56 PM

Hey steetz I was inspired by reading your build a while ago and ended up putting a rear mount on my car car. I must give you props and a thank you. Though sometimes frustrating it's been a great learning experience and lots of fun. I'd really like to hear your experience since you maybe the one if not one of a few who have had both style turbos on your car. Maybe pros and cons of each what you like better about each. Perhaps pictures just an overall wrap up in your opinion. Maybe why you went front mount to. Thanks and know that you inspired a soon to be 40 year old man to get off his *** and turbo his car. Cheers Matt.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mattx
Hey streetz I was inspired by reading your build a while ago and ended up putting a rear mount on my car car. I must give you props and a thank you. Though sometimes frustrating it's been a great learning experience and lots of fun. I'd really like to hear your experience since you maybe the one if not one of a few who have had both style turbos on your car. Maybe pros and cons of each what you like better about each. Perhaps pictures just an overall wrap up in your opinion. Maybe why you went front mount to. Thanks and know that you inspired a soon to be 40 year old man to get off his *** and turbo his car. Cheers Matt.
I love hearing this, we need more maximas out there. Id be glad to tell you all about my experiences with the RMT, you should probably start a new thread so we do not take away from grey99max's topic.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:04 PM

Right on. New thread up in turbo section.

Last edited by Mattx; 03-08-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:00 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

For turbo, I really like the one I have BorgWarner S366, I have it at 20-22psi which results in 127mph trap (with 4th slipping), so maybe close to 600whp. I dont see why it wouldnt perform just as good on a rear mount, I changed to front mount last year.

I still have the stock converter which is the only reason I have not gotten a 10second time slip, I know its holding me back at least .4sec but I will for sure have an Edge converter with at minimum 3k flash stall.

What was the weakness of your first IPT unit, was it a user error that caused it to fail? My first auto I killed it myself for not giving it a break between runs.

Yeah its been long enough Jime being 1st, I still talk to him via emails and he even says the same thing of me getting that #1 spot lol.

Hmmm.. King Streetz ....

I like the sound of that.

The first IPT was totally built, and driven on the street and "test track" -and occasionally at one of the drag strips. They build them to work just like the stock transmission when connected to the stock transmission computer - but I mostly used my ShiftFast3 all-or-nothing shifter. It really bangs the transmission during shifts, and I'm sure that's what totalled it. Not too bright, looking back, but Hey, race car. Oh yeah, big B&M transmission cooler. I have temp and pressure gauges on everything, and that helps.

What gave you the idea for that Borg Warner?? (since I don't know squat about turbos). There seems to be a lot of new turbo technology happening now. I've found some nice HR exhaust plumbing that would make a nice turbo installation - both sides on eBay for about $75 each, and they're separate/equal length steel pipes for each cylinder.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:09 AM

Hmmm.. King Streetz ....

I like the sound of that.

The first IPT was totally built, and driven on the street and "test track" -and occasionally at one of the drag strips. They build them to work just like the stock transmission when connected to the stock transmission computer - but I mostly used my ShiftFast3 all-or-nothing shifter. It really bangs the transmission during shifts, and I'm sure that's what totalled it. Not too bright, looking back, but Hey, race car. Oh yeah, big B&M transmission cooler. I have temp and pressure gauges on everything, and that helps.

What gave you the idea for that Borg Warner?? (since I don't know squat about turbos). There seems to be a lot of new turbo technology happening now. I've found some nice HR exhaust plumbing that would make a nice turbo installation - both sides on eBay for about $75 each, and they're separate/equal length steel pipes for each cylinder.
lol king streetz thats funny. I have learned to take care of the auto on the street, for example never up shift while spinning at high rpm and low speed, because the next higher gear might hook and if it does thats a ton of sudden load, so I let it spin a bit maybe peddle it till i got enough speed for the next gear, I guess the same thing you do on manuals (spin till you get to speed for next gear).

I think Koosho recommended the BorgeWarner and I was ready to invest in a real turbo, the holsets are great but just not enough for the power I was looking for, the BW is also the cheaper of most turbos and as reliable as the holsets. 700 bucks and capable of 700-800hp. There is more that can be done to it such as a billet wheel. Now if you have the money there are far superior turbos out there, ball bearing, billet wheels, but I never got into looking them up since I wasnt going to ditch out 1,500 for a turbo.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:07 PM

I don't know from personal experience but from the turbo research I've done I would go with a Borg Warner turbo. They're solid units, make great power, and they're much cheaper than a precision or garrett unit.

One of these day's I would love to build a turbo 4th gen with a 6 speed trans.
I'd go with a forged piston/rod Altima motor and a borg warner 67mm.

Last edited by krazy6; 03-12-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:14 PM

I don't know from personal experience but from the turbo research I've done I would go with a Borg Warner turbo. They're solid units, make great power, and they're much cheaper than a precision or garrett unit.
yup thats the reason i got it. Sold two holsets to make yp for the BW cost. 700. They could be even had for high 500s. At 20psi the car just screams and wants to spin the tires at over 100mph.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:12 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

One of these day's I would love to build a turbo 4th gen with a 6 speed trans.
I'd go with a forged piston/rod Altima motor and a borg warner 67mm.
Hmmm.... 6spd turboed 3.5 ..... I do have a complete rotating assembly with balanced crank, Carrillo H-beam rods, and 11:1 CP pistons all with 2K miles, and a good 3.5L block. Turbo this, stick it in a 240, maybe ??
Old 03-12-2016, 08:32 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

yup thats the reason i got it. Sold two holsets to make yp for the BW cost. 700. They could be even had for high 500s. At 20psi the car just screams and wants to spin the tires at over 100mph.
I was kinda thinking about a BB Garrett, but I dunno what to do yet. It's fun to spin them tires, isn't it? Blasting down the highway, burning off the DRs and the car snaking back and forth - ah, " it's a good day to die" ...

I like the idea of mounting a turbo up front of the engine....
Old 03-14-2016, 11:43 AM

Hmmm.... 6spd turboed 3.5 ..... I do have a complete rotating assembly with balanced crank, Carrillo H-beam rods, and 11:1 CP pistons all with 2K miles, and a good 3.5L block. Turbo this, stick it in a 240, maybe ??
That sounds like a lot of fun to me!
Old 03-14-2016, 06:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Very fun thread....over at KA-T.org there's a 1st gen Altima owner running 10s now with the little 2.4. I still have my '93 Altima beater but no time for FI. I wish I had more time but even more, your skill sets to throw something fun together!

Keep up the good work fellas
Old 03-15-2016, 01:51 PM

I was kinda thinking about a BB Garrett, but I dunno what to do yet. It's fun to spin them tires, isn't it? Blasting down the highway, burning off the DRs and the car snaking back and forth - ah, " it's a good day to die" ...

I like the idea of mounting a turbo up front of the engine....
Yeah the rear mount was cool but this is much cooler:

The power on the street is pretty useless but can be fun, at 20psi at 3rd gear(unlocked tc) starting at a 70-80mph roll the tires are wanting to spin on and off.

Id like to have conversations with you regarding the auto's perhaps a new thread or PM?
Old 03-15-2017, 07:16 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Bump

Just a BUMP so I can keep track of this thread...
Old 04-28-2017, 04:29 PM

i just love how the whole car is sooo different
Old 04-29-2017, 11:47 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by I<3 A32's
i just love how the whole car is sooo different
Well, if I ever get it right, then I can just drive it.