All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Aackshun's VQ35DE Swap Plans...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by SurraTT
i understand keeping it simple. but what fun is that?????

which haltech u looking at for 900? Only 2 i looked at getting are sport2k and 350z which are 1700 ish.

hey i got it working!! But taking the stock ecu out and using the new ecu only kills some functions.

Ive got new ideas for it. Hopefully gonna come up with a nice solution to keep stock ecu but have full osiris. Gonna be nice.

Ive already thought about it for 3.0 ecu ppl the prob woudl be the cam and crank sensors.

Actually the revised z ecu swap thread is coming soon!!!!!!!!!!
I will text him again, dunno, I think it's the piggyback one, but haltech is haltech.

Hahaha

Cool, maybe I might do it for my next motor project.

Ah yes, I was discussing that with a friend yesterday 09 Maxima motor + 6mt HR Z ECU would be full of win.

Can't wait .

This thread is fun, please by all means poke holes in my plan, I want to be as sure as I possible can when I get knee deep in this.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:33 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by aackshun
I will text him again, dunno, I think it's the piggyback one, but haltech is haltech.

Hahaha

Cool, maybe I might do it for my next motor project.

Ah yes, I was discussing that with a friend yesterday 09 Maxima motor + 6mt HR Z ECU would be full of win.

Can't wait .

This thread is fun, please by all means poke holes in my plan, I want to be as sure as I possible can when I get knee deep in this.

piggyback one as in 350z pnp one??? there are quite a few diff haltechs

I thought about a hr ecu also but its dual TB so that woudl probably be a huge pain.

Now that the 09 (hr type) cam sensors work with the DE older ecu signals. The better ecu is a REV up ecu.

Im just trying to get you to use 3.5 timing! hahah or better yet HR type timing!

If i can get the rev up ecu with osiris in my car, dyno tuned. Its gonna be really crazy. How many people can even control variable cams in FWD? 1 or 2? As NmexMAX posted in my dyno thread about the ivt between RWD and FWD. Imagine control of all 4 cams!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 02:50 PM

piggyback one as in 350z pnp one??? there are quite a few diff haltechs

I thought about a hr ecu also but its dual TB so that woudl probably be a huge pain.

Now that the 09 (hr type) cam sensors work with the DE older ecu signals. The better ecu is a REV up ecu.

Im just trying to get you to use 3.5 timing! hahah or better yet HR type timing!

If i can get the rev up ecu with osiris in my car, dyno tuned. Its gonna be really crazy. How many people can even control variable cams in FWD? 1 or 2? As NmexMAX posted in my dyno thread about the ivt between RWD and FWD. Imagine control of all 4 cams!!!
Can't osiris delete those controls? Or modify them to not even work???

Not happening anytime soon!!!

But man i'd love me some UpRev/Nistune/Daughterboard ECU chips that allow full control over one's car.....
Old 08-24-2011, 03:10 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Can't osiris delete those controls? Or modify them to not even work???

Not happening anytime soon!!!

But man i'd love me some UpRev/Nistune/Daughterboard ECU chips that allow full control over one's car.....

Osiris can delete codes. Far as making a HR ecu work with one TB i dont think so.

Thats pretty much what im going for! Waiting on my 2ed ecu to get here (1st would not connect)
Old 08-24-2011, 03:48 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

i understand keeping it simple. but what fun is that?????

Actually the revised z ecu swap thread is coming soon!!!!!!!!!!
What is this of what you speak?
Old 08-24-2011, 05:04 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by grey99max
What is this of what you speak?

hehe, yes, epic motor swap is not complete till a epic ecu swap!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously tho, i think about this stuff all the time. I cant stop. I need help but its just so much fun!

If this works as "planned" its going to change the whole tuning game!

Donations accepted.. hahahhah

sry to clogg ur thread Aaron, looks like i spilled the beans already! Everyone just calm down!
Old 08-24-2011, 06:34 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Osiris can delete codes. Far as making a HR ecu work with one TB i dont think so.
This isn't my sandbox, but about the HR ecu - each TB creates a voltage as air flows through it, so if you connect both inputs (from the ECU) together and connect to one MAF, then it might just be a matter of scaling the MAF output to what the ECU expects. FWIW....
Old 08-24-2011, 06:37 PM

hehe, yes, epic motor swap is not complete till a epic ecu swap!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously tho, i think about this stuff all the time. I cant stop. I need help but its just so much fun!

If this works as "planned" its going to change the whole tuning game!

Donations accepted.. hahahhah

sry to clogg ur thread Aaron, looks like i spilled the beans already! Everyone just calm down!
Haha I'm shocked you remembered my name all of this time.

It's no big deal this is a talking thread, I highly doubt there are that many more educated individuals will come up with more good questions on why I'm doing this instead of that and blah blah then you and a handful others, hell most of them have already posted in this thread, the other guys I wanted to poke holes in my plan don't really post here anymore.

But please, change our lame @$$ tuning game down here, I just wish Nistune cared enough for the A32s to actually finish/develop the software/daughterboard for our ECU's, my life would be so much easier.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:37 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

^ true. i thougth about that. But tryign to keep the stock 02 functions woudl not be there

EDIT maybe in a 4th gen it would work better?? Im always thinkg about 02-03 and keeping their stock functions working good.

HMMM actually it might work and what id say do is try and run a cable TB.

The dual maf woudl be the real problem. idk if the wires coudl simply go to both pins on the ecu or not

Last edited by SurraTT; 08-24-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:39 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Haha I'm shocked you remembered my name all of this time.

It's no big deal this is a talking thread, I highly doubt there are that many more educated individuals will come up with more good questions on why I'm doing this instead of that and blah blah then you and a handful others, hell most of them have already posted in this thread, the other guys I wanted to poke holes in my plan don't really post here anymore.

But please, change our lame @$$ tuning game down here.
haaha honestly i only remember it cuz Aaron of NWP hahaah same names!! otherwise i forget names a lot!

hahah i hope it works!!! Cuz its gonna be a game changer forsure!
Old 08-24-2011, 06:40 PM

haaha honestly i only remember it cuz Aaron of NWP hahaah same names!! otherwise i forget names a lot!

hahah i hope it works!!! Cuz its gonna be a game changer forsure!
Hrmm I need to give him a call while we're slow @ work again, had some FUN junkyard calls in NC today, surprised I didn't give him a call.....
Old 08-24-2011, 11:02 PM

I just thought about something random. You still got my car charger Fool? I've been wondering what I did with that damn thing. Then I remembered I left in your car that time I rode with u in the middle of the night to go get the Altima. Oh yeah if everything goes as planned Ima roll the 3rd gen home next weekend. Did I mention I got a JWT ecu for it?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by maximo018
I just thought about something random. You still got my car charger Fool? I've been wondering what I did with that damn thing. Then I remembered I left in your car that time I rode with u in the middle of the night to go get the Altima. Oh yeah if everything goes as planned Ima roll the 3rd gen home next weekend. Did I mention I got a JWT ecu for it?
Why would you use it? I have all of the car chargers in the world.....

JWT ECU? You suck!!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 12:58 AM

3.0 has better potential stock to make some top end, then 02-06 3.5's no one has pushed the heads as far as 3.5 heads have been pushed, I know I personally think there's a lot of untouched potential if one wanted to go to 10 grand and make power and not have to goto cosworth.....

Nope!!! Between me and two other people right now, one day I will be able to have a second maxima purely for Road course racing (what a solid rear beam on the road course?! Nonsense.....) and other types of racing.... basically a car where I don't have to worry about balancing streetability and race-ability (that a word???). This car will have the motor that's spinning in my head right now.

I will say this much, it's been done for decades on other platforms, it's not an original idea by any means, but that's as far as I am willing to devulge.
The VQ35 heads flow more air. You make power in the head so why restrict yourself?

I'm going to take a stab at your secret engine.

I don't know if you are going to use all nissan oem parts but here is an OEM configuration that could make pretty good power. Have to get custom pistons with the VQ40 crank. You have to move the wrist pin up 5.3mm. Then you can get a reasonable 1.57:1 rod/stroke ratio. Then you'll still be limited by the cams and intake manifold.

VQ35 block
VQ40 crank
Stock rods
Custom pistons
I'm assuming you'd use VQ30 heads
SSIM VQ35 manifold
Revup cams

Am I close?

Here is my opinion on what is really limiting the VQ engine family's potential:

Intake manifolds, cams, and headers.
Sparks proved that the stock intake manifold is quite restrictive even with stock cams.

The stock VQ35 cams only have .377" of lift. That is WEAK!!!

Everyone pretty much uses the same design for headers, and every motor needs different primary lengths, steps, and collector sizes. A properly made set of headers designed specifically for your motor could make a lot more power.

Not trying to shut down any of your ideas, or be mean or anything. Just bringing more information to the table.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:51 AM

Why would you use it? I have all of the car chargers in the world.....

JWT ECU? You suck!!!!
Its my iGo charger for my phone.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:12 AM
dot dot dot ...

Is the V-manage completely independent? If so, why not use EVT & IVT and get a V-Manage.

Also, why an L31 engine? Why not an A35? VQ35 heads > VQ30 for many reasons. You should know why, 2 right off the top of my head.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Is the V-manage completely independent? If so, why not use EVT & IVT and get a V-Manage.

Also, why an L31 engine? Why not an A35? VQ35 heads > VQ30 for many reasons. You should know why, 2 right off the top of my head.
To my knowledge it is a piggy back for your piggy back... That way you can be piggy backing while you're piggy backing.....

L31? That motor aint nuffin special....

Now the L32 motor that I'm planning to buy.... I'd sure enjoy the extra 15whp or so, get me closer to my goal.

How so? I think if someone really ported the VQ30 heads I think you'd get some silly numbers......
Old 08-25-2011, 08:47 AM
dot dot dot ...

To my knowledge it is a piggy back for your piggy back... That way you can be piggy backing while you're piggy backing.....

Now the L32 motor that I'm planning to buy.... I'd sure enjoy the extra 15whp or so, get me closer to my goal.

How so? I think if someone really ported the VQ30 heads I think you'd get some silly numbers......
A35 = 20 hp over the L32, C'mon man.
And who said it was whp?
Old 08-25-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
A35 = 20 hp over the L32, C'mon man.
And who said it was whp?
20hp? I can give up that much, looking at the motor I would have to get a custom timing cover made, which is no biggie... but the timing chain for 3.0 timing? That's adding who knows what amount of downtime for my guy to figure out how to pull that one off.... Since the timing cover is not the same shape and nowhere in the FSM is states if the chain is the same as the previous gen VQ's....

Quite a few 6mts dyno in the 240s or high 230s STOCK

Last edited by aackshun; 08-25-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:18 PM

Sheet metal intake!!

edit:

custom timing cover for which setup here?

This information is kind of obvious but I figured I'd spew it out here:
3.0 and 3.5 timing covers are fairly interchangable in how they mate with the block and head, theres like an oil passage thingy which is different though.

The 3.5 timing chain is totally different from the 3.0 timing chain, the 3.0 chain is like a bike chain, the 3.5 is ... goofy. As such the main crank sprocket is different so I would hope the VQ40 crank can accomodate a VQ30 sprocket?

If you use VQ35 block and VQ30 heads i think you would use the VQ30 timing cover, both inner and outer, and the VQ30 upper oil pan as well.

Crank position sensor and other stuff is so much easier with the VQ30 upper oil pan.

The lower oil pan is about the same on all the VQ's.

Last edited by ampire; 08-25-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by ampire
Sheet metal intake!!

edit:

custom timing cover for which setup here?

This information is kind of obvious but I figured I'd spew it out here:
3.0 and 3.5 timing covers are fairly interchangable in how they mate with the block and head, theres like an oil passage thingy which is different though.

The 3.5 timing chain is totally different from the 3.0 timing chain, the 3.0 chain is like a bike chain, the 3.5 is ... goofy. As such the main crank sprocket is different so I would hope the VQ40 crank can accomodate a VQ30 sprocket?

If you use VQ35 block and VQ30 heads i think you would use the VQ30 timing cover, both inner and outer, and the VQ30 upper oil pan as well.

Crank position sensor and other stuff is so much easier with the VQ30 upper oil pan.

The lower oil pan is about the same on all the VQ's.
The 09+ Maxima motor, I do not think my 3.0 Timing chain is long enough for it...

It's the reason why I'm not plopping one in my car instead of the alty momo

And jah jah, you're right on with everything else
Old 08-25-2011, 03:06 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

haha Aaron give it a while. Once i get the 5.7 gen running RIGHT you might see the light.

hahah
Old 08-25-2011, 04:23 PM

haha Aaron give it a while. Once i get the 5.7 gen running RIGHT you might see the light.

hahah
Miiiight

I'd only reconsider things once I dyno.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:52 AM

Just so you know I have did and extreme porting jobs on the VQ30DEK head and soon I should be able to show the result. The engine has been started and rev real good but the ECU is fried so I got to fix this, but should be done soon. check my thread in N/A
Old 08-27-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by doublea
Just so you know I have did and extreme porting jobs on the VQ30DEK head and soon I should be able to show the result. The engine has been started and rev real good but the ECU is fried so I got to fix this, but should be done soon. check my thread in N/A
Oh wow, I remember following your thread when I had my 5th gen

I remember thinking, man I wish I was able to understand all of this stuff, make my car faasssstttttt lol.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:00 AM

Here is what you need to do:

normal VQ35 short block.
HR pistons with necessary machining.
Shaved VQ35 heads
JWT C8 cams
HR/JWT HD valve springs
Rev-up oil pump
ARP headstuds and rod bolts
HR headgasket with supporting modifications

Good intake manifold, headers, and good tube 300whp will be achievable. you will also be able to rev to 8000rpm all day every day.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:52 AM

SHHHHHHHH!
Old 08-27-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
Here is what you need to do:

normal VQ35 short block.
HR pistons with necessary machining.
Shaved VQ35 heads
JWT C8 cams
HR/JWT HD valve springs
Rev-up oil pump
ARP headstuds and rod bolts
HR headgasket with supporting modifications

Good intake manifold, headers, and good tube 300whp will be achievable. you will also be able to rev to 8000rpm all day every day.
Hrmm.... Sounds fun... But...

Nah.

Revving to a certain RPM isn't the main goal, my only concern is making Peak TQ and Peak HP within a 1.6k-1.8k rpm range.

That's the goal here folkss
Old 08-27-2011, 02:21 PM

lalala
Old 08-28-2011, 01:50 AM

Update: Doubt this will happen by October now, gotta buy a another 6mt XD
Old 08-28-2011, 05:08 AM

Hrmm.... Sounds fun... But...

Nah.

Revving to a certain RPM isn't the main goal, my only concern is making Peak TQ and Peak HP within a 1.6k-1.8k rpm range.

That's the goal here folkss
its not like the VQ35 doesnt make torque at all rpm anyway. With the upped compression it will be even more torquey than before.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:22 AM
Kevlo for President

Use the Pathy IM. The runners are like double the length of the stock VQ30 IM and the VI top end runners are real runners and not a vac box like the 00vi/mevi.

High compression will help as well so those HR pistons will help
Old 08-28-2011, 08:03 AM

You should be able to find a pretty low mileage one for under $400.

I hate transmissions by the way!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Boosted Panda

Interesting thread, just what is your expected time frame to have the project completed?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:28 AM

its not like the VQ35 doesnt make torque at all rpm anyway. With the upped compression it will be even more torquey than before.
Have you seen any VQ35 dyno before? Look @ the TQ numbers when the engine is making peak HP.... Then look at the peak TQ..... Yeah.....

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
Use the Pathy IM. The runners are like double the length of the stock VQ30 IM and the VI top end runners are real runners and not a vac box like the 00vi/mevi.

High compression will help as well so those HR pistons will help
The IM is not in question, the L32 altima's dyno pretty damn close to what I want, I see what you're talking about though, that IM does seem potentially worth it but KRZZ didn't have so much luck with it even though it seems as he gave up too soon on it. Honestly if it was that great of a design I'm pretty sure nissan would be implementing it on all of their vehicles, but they're not....

False, the HR just makes silly high HP and the same fail with TQ.

Originally Posted by krazy6
You should be able to find a pretty low mileage one for under $400.

I hate transmissions by the way!
I did, I did, I'm having someone check one out on the other side of the country for me before I have it shipped, I'm buying it Monday if all goes well.

I can't wait cause it has half the miles of the one I brought originally

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Interesting thread, just what is your expected time frame to have the project completed?
This sets me back at least 2 weeks, I'm going to end up spending around $400 total after tranny, gear oil, shop labor to swap bellhousings, and other minor things I will take care of with the tranny off.

So now I'm aiming for the Import Faceoff in Ennis, TX 11/13

Last edited by aackshun; 08-28-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:48 AM

This sets me back at least 2 weeks, I'm going to end up spending around $400 total after tranny, gear oil, shop labor to swap bellhousings, and other minor things I will take care of with the tranny off.
shop labor?????????? do it yourself you pansy,
Old 08-28-2011, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by mightyMax95
shop labor?????????? do it yourself you pansy,
Uh NO! Trust me, if I could afford to pay for it twice you know how cheap it is for me.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:40 PM

Have you seen any VQ35 dyno before? Look @ the TQ numbers when the engine is making peak HP.... Then look at the peak TQ..... Yeah.....
Thats why im saying up the compression, it will directly effect the tq across the entire rev range not just up top. If you have a compression ratio of around 11.X:1, with 3.5L you wont be yearning much for torque. If its that big of a deal just limit your cams in the 260 durations but get some decent lift on them, so the JWT c series cams.

Deck'dout dyno untuned on 264/264 10.8mm lift compression of 11.0:1

Not much of a torque issue im seeing. Unless 200wtq at 2500rpm is too little......
Old 08-29-2011, 03:23 AM

Not much of a torque issue im seeing. Unless 200wtq at 2500rpm is too little......
it's not so much low end, or even high end torque we're worried about. what we're trying to do is flatten the curve so there isn't the 40ft/lb loss that's typical in all VQs except the 3.7

Aackshun's particular desire though is to maintain maximum torque AND hp in the same band so as to capitalize on his short gearing.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:42 AM

Thats why im saying up the compression, it will directly effect the tq across the entire rev range not just up top. If you have a compression ratio of around 11.X:1, with 3.5L you wont be yearning much for torque. If its that big of a deal just limit your cams in the 260 durations but get some decent lift on them, so the JWT c series cams.

Deck'dout dyno untuned on 264/264 10.8mm lift compression of 11.0:1
[IMG]notthepowerbandaackshunwants.jpg[/IMG]

Are we looking at the same dyno?

Looks like he's making below 200 ft/lbs @ his peak HP.... Yeah I can get a 4cyl honda to do that..... hell even a well built SR20 can do that.

Any more ideas ????

Originally Posted by mightyMax95
it's not so much low end, or even high end torque we're worried about. what we're trying to do is flatten the curve so there isn't the 40ft/lb loss that's typical in all VQs except the 3.7

Aackshun's particular desire though is to maintain maximum torque AND hp in the same band so as to capitalize on his short gearing.
This.

Or keep a near flat TQ Curve and utilize the Maxima FD. but I think it'd be easier to make Peak HP and Peak TQ within a 1600-1800rpm range.

The idea behind the cams and intake/exhaust porting is to keep up air velocity in the high rpms so TQ doesn't fall flat on his face while I'm revving higher than stock to make that 300whp. I honestly think with a badass tune and my bolt ons I should be close to 300whp but the camming and headwork is to alter the lines of the dyno.

Now if crusher posted Aaron92's dyno when he was untuned.....

Still his TQ got worse and worse the more HP he made as you saw in the rest of the thread, not something I'm after.

//Edit, who could forget SurraTT's dyno!

Again more useful to me, I'd like to have some TQ backing my HP... Or else why even bother?

Last edited by aackshun; 08-29-2011 at 06:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Aackshun's VQ35DE Swap Plans...