Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

A good 4-channel amp

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 07:27 PM

A good 4-channel amp

Whats a good 4-channel amp to get? Also about how much is it?

-Mike
Old 07-14-2002, 10:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

JL Audio 300/4 i believe they mainly go for about $380ish
MrGone
Old 07-15-2002, 08:59 AM

Good because im thinking of converting everything to JL Audio. Do you think that is good or bad? Oh yeah i already have JL 10's
Old 07-15-2002, 07:37 PM

Yes, the JL Audio amps are great. The are expensive though, if you want to save a little bit you can look into some other brands. What kind of speakers are you going to be running or how much wattage do you need? There are a ton of great amp manufacturers out there. I've had good experience with Orion, PPI, and Alpine in terms of 4 channel amps. Obviously it's nice to say that you have all JL equipment, but there are better deals if you are on a budget.

Originally posted by nstymax93
Good because im thinking of converting everything to JL Audio. Do you think that is good or bad? Oh yeah i already have JL 10's
Old 07-16-2002, 06:09 AM

Im not on any major budget. I already have 2 JL 10's. Im looking to add 2 12's to that and get all JL speakers (6x9 & 6.5's). I LOVE my 10's. Also i know its not something that is going to happen over night, thats why im going to take my time and buy everything piece by piece until i have what i need!

thanks
-mike
Old 07-16-2002, 09:05 PM
I like Maximas

Im not on any major budget. I already have 2 JL 10's. Im looking to add 2 12's to that and get all JL speakers (6x9 & 6.5's). I LOVE my 10's. Also i know its not something that is going to happen over night, thats why im going to take my time and buy everything piece by piece until i have what i need!

thanks
-mike
It's not good to mix subwoofer brands but since you have 10" JL's if you get 12" JL's that would work. just so you know for the future, in case you decide to go with lets say rockford HE2 DVC's.

I've had very good exprerience with rockford amps the 500x 4 channel is great, the 500.2 is also good for running two subs but not too loud.
Another thin,g you will want to run a lower gauge power wire (4 or maybe 2 or less) to support a 4-channel and 2 2-channel amps for the 10's and 12's. upgrading your battery to a yellow/red top would be advisable as well as getting a cap for each amp, so that way you will have enough power for everything.
It's very good to take your time and plan the project out. Good luck!

-Vadim
Old 07-17-2002, 07:32 AM

I dont know much about audio stuff but what i wanna do is get all JL audio stuff because im very happy with the 10"s i have but i just wanna add 2 12"s too and upgrade all my mids to JL audio too. Im going to get 2 4 channel amps, 1 for me 4 mids and the other one for my 4 subs, will this work or not? Also what is a cap (like i said im not too familiar with all the audio stuff!) and where do you get these? and what/where is a yellow/red top battery.

Thanks
-Mike
Old 07-17-2002, 03:38 PM

I dont know much about audio stuff but what i wanna do is get all JL audio stuff because im very happy with the 10"s i have but i just wanna add 2 12"s too and upgrade all my mids to JL audio too. Im going to get 2 4 channel amps, 1 for me 4 mids and the other one for my 4 subs, will this work or not? Also what is a cap (like i said im not too familiar with all the audio stuff!) and where do you get these? and what/where is a yellow/red top battery.

Thanks
-Mike
JL amps are very good but are a little steep..I would go with the jl's if budget isn't an issue...I would have to say though, their isn't a "big" difference between jl 10's and 12's..they do play slightly lower but not much I would do the 2 10's sealed and do 1 15 ported for gut wrenching bass but have it on a volume control so you can have the option of turning it down because before long, you will get tired of it......lol
Old 07-17-2002, 09:30 PM

I know i would get tired of it but im doing mostly for looks and budget really isnt an issue, im not looking to do it overnight! Im not sure what my 10"s are but im going to get either 12"s or 10"s W3! I might just get one and have 3 10"s. Would 3 10"s still work with a 4 channel amp?
Old 07-17-2002, 09:57 PM

I know i would get tired of it but im doing mostly for looks and budget really isnt an issue, im not looking to do it overnight! Im not sure what my 10"s are but im going to get either 12"s or 10"s W3! I might just get one and have 3 10"s. Would 3 10"s still work with a 4 channel amp?
How do you plan on installing these subs?their are only a few ways you can do either a trio or quad array and it still benifit "inside" the car...as for the 4ch, I wouldn't suggest it unless it is pretty big bridged..like 500x2 in a 2 channel configuration and then you could pair each channel..if money isn't an issue, I would do 4 10 or 12w3 or w3v.2's with a 1000/1 for the subs and a 300/4 for the highs...set them up like this......
w/\w..w/\w....subs being the w..in a 30 or 45* angle with the 2 in the middle firing into the ski port and the outside 2 firing into the trunk...personally, I would use 10's and make an opening of roughly 6inches square or round in the middle of the back deck and find a matching grill like the back ones either at a nissan dealer or junkyard and cover it...this is if yours is similar to mine I have a 98....if you look in the middle of the deck directly above the ski port, their is 2 squares with the 4 corners cut out you could use that as your trunk port....this will allow the other 2 to access the interior of the car this way you'll get the low output of the trunk firing 2 and the puncy bass from the ski port firing subs
you could do it with 3 also...fire 2 out and 1 into the car..I don't know what year max you have...I'm basing ideas off of my max....lol..I wouldnt be too concerned with the 2 you have now, if you go with 3, just face your 2 out and if you go with 4, you could face yours in or out...I would get the newer v.2 w3 or the w6 v.2 for the "in car" sub...unless you have w0's, I wouldn't be concerned about power from a 1000/1...the w3's will take 1/3 or 1/4 that fine..it will take 500 actually
as always, these are just my opinions on what "I" would do...
if you were to keep your 10's I would get 10's now though..their isn't much difference between the 10 and the 12...especially if you power them with 300 watts each or more..if you have the w0's I would get 2 more thoughif you have w3's just get 1 more or w6 just 1 more
Old 07-18-2002, 06:05 AM

You know im not sure what my 10's are (my cousin bought them a while back). But im gonna get w6 10's when i get them. Also I have a 93' SE go to my homepage and you will see it and i think i have a shot of my current trunk with the JL's i have. Like i said ill probably go with 2 more 10's that are w3 so that ill have 4 10's!
Old 07-18-2002, 07:17 AM
I like Maximas

nstymax93 i think you should tell us what type of setup you want to have i.e. more bass on the inside or more bass on the outside and what type of music you listen to. this way i can better understand what suits your needs more. as far as having 4 JL 10's i think you might want to go with more power for two 10's since it's not always the more subs = the more bass.

-Vadim
Old 07-18-2002, 08:11 AM

What i have now is 2 JL 10's but not sure what kind (w3, w0, etc.) I have a 2 channel pyramid blue series amp to the 10's. Then i have a us amps crossover and i have a 2 channel jenson 250w amp going to my inside speakers. I also replaced the bose 6x9 with some pioneer 6x9's (they were only $100). I listen to everything from Linkin Park, Incubus, POD, to Nappy Roots, Nelly, and Dre. so i pretty much listen to everything except country. What i have now sounds good but i want more and i want to make it look better too. Thats why i want a 4 channel amp for my inside speakers. I also want to replace all interior speakers with JL audio. Im going all out here, im going to get a load of some dynomat too and line my intire trunk with it! Also like i said its not going to happen overnight and i know that. If it takes 2 months to get everything, then thats fine too. Im just trying to find out what the best route to go is, in my case i think i could use 2 more JL 10's (w3) but i could be wrong. My buddy has 2 MTX 12's and his hits way harder than mine or maybe i just need a newer amp (better too)! Ive already decided not to go with the 12's and stick with the 10's!
Old 07-18-2002, 08:37 AM
I'm so hood

Ugh...pyramid and jensen amps...no wonder you're looking for more in your stereo

I agree with the others, in that it'd be a much better idea to NOT go with 4 subs in the trunk, especially of different size/models/etc.

I'm personally a big believer in even the single good sub, something higher quality than most run-of-the-mill $100 subs. If you really want bump, you could probably spend the same amount of dough (or less) and get one or two high-quality 12s, rather than trying to mess with a 4-sub setup. Just think of the enclosure & power challenges involved with a setup like that.

"More equipment" isn't going to give you what quality equipment could.
Even if you wanted to stick with JLs, I think two W7s would definitely satisfy your tastes over 4 w0s, and probably 4 w3s too.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:09 AM

well im not getting no w0 i would get the w6 sorry i ment w6's not w3!!. Im not sure what i have got currently in my 10's. Also i dont wanna go over $300 for a sub's, w7 are like $500-$600 arent they? So all in all what do you guys think is my best bet for an upgrade. Im definatly getting rid of the pyramid and jenson!!!! Question is should i get a JL Audio 4-channel amp? And with the subs should i just stick with what i got and upgrade the amp or maybe go ahead and get to JL 10w6's? how would i find out what i have? I think i have w3 but not sure and the w6 is more powerfull than the w3!! WHAT TO DO?
Old 07-18-2002, 12:47 PM

I went to Tweeter earlier today to look at the 300/4 JL audio 4 channel amp and they wanted $500 for it, and i found it online for $380. What a rip-off!
Old 07-18-2002, 09:26 PM

If you want to find out what kind of subs you have, all you have to do is remove them from your box. After you figure out exactly what you have, the second thing that I would do would be to change your amp. The difference between Jensen/Pyramid and a good amp will be night and day. As for your amps, you seem to be have your sights set on JL. For your subs you don't want the 300/4, you'll want to look at a mono amp like the 500/1. If you get the 4 channel then you'd want to run those to your inside speakers. Are you sure that you aren't on a budget? The JL equipment is excellent but costly. I think that the 500 will run you about $400. For half that you could get a JBL 600.1 which will give you over 600 watts at 1 or 2 ohms. For now I'd stick with the subs you have regardless of the model, even the W0s are very good subs, you just aren't pwoering them correctly. Also, what kind of box do you have? The box is also very important in terms of how your speakers will sound. The difference between the w3 and w6 isn't too great either. Worst case is that you upgrade your amp and you're still not satisfied and you can then add a third 10 (I'd recommend getting the same sub as what you have now). I don't know too many people who aren't satisfied with three JL subs no matter what model, at least in a daily driver. Also, about the JL amps, maximadave works at tweeter and can probabyl give you a better price on that amp (plus you'll still have the manufacturer's warranty.)

well im not getting no w0 i would get the w6 sorry i ment w6's not w3!!. Im not sure what i have got currently in my 10's. Also i dont wanna go over $300 for a sub's, w7 are like $500-$600 arent they? So all in all what do you guys think is my best bet for an upgrade. Im definatly getting rid of the pyramid and jenson!!!! Question is should i get a JL Audio 4-channel amp? And with the subs should i just stick with what i got and upgrade the amp or maybe go ahead and get to JL 10w6's? how would i find out what i have? I think i have w3 but not sure and the w6 is more powerfull than the w3!! WHAT TO DO?
Old 07-19-2002, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by Gates
If you want to find out what kind of subs you have, all you have to do is remove them from your box. After you figure out exactly what you have, the second thing that I would do would be to change your amp. The difference between Jensen/Pyramid and a good amp will be night and day. As for your amps, you seem to be have your sights set on JL. For your subs you don't want the 300/4, you'll want to look at a mono amp like the 500/1. If you get the 4 channel then you'd want to run those to your inside speakers. Are you sure that you aren't on a budget? The JL equipment is excellent but costly. I think that the 500 will run you about $400. For half that you could get a JBL 600.1 which will give you over 600 watts at 1 or 2 ohms. For now I'd stick with the subs you have regardless of the model, even the W0s are very good subs, you just aren't pwoering them correctly. Also, what kind of box do you have? The box is also very important in terms of how your speakers will sound. The difference between the w3 and w6 isn't too great either. Worst case is that you upgrade your amp and you're still not satisfied and you can then add a third 10 (I'd recommend getting the same sub as what you have now). I don't know too many people who aren't satisfied with three JL subs no matter what model, at least in a daily driver. Also, about the JL amps, maximadave works at tweeter and can probabyl give you a better price on that amp (plus you'll still have the manufacturer's warranty.)
very well said........he seemed like he was wanting a "jl" system so that was what I was basing info off of...he also sounded like he wanted a 4 sub setup so I was just going with his ideas..but I agree you will be satisfied once you have better power options whether it be jl or jbl orwhatever "real" amp( I say real,all amps are real but my meaning of real is amps that are spec.'d for 12v full bandwidth ratings)unless class d of course ....but I really don't think you'll need more than 3 if you even need a 3rd once you get a better amp