Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

DIY Install, 3 12's, 1000 watts, Crossfire, Alumapro, Panasonic, (Focal soon)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 06:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

DIY Install, 3 12's, 1000 watts, Crossfire, Alumapro, Panasonic, (Focal soon)

I finally got around to installing my 3 alumapro alchemy 12's and crossfire amps. I figured I'd post a few pics up on here just for kicks, feel free to offer any suggestions about how I can clean up the install or any other opinions.

The vehicle:

Here are the 3 12" Alumparo Alchemy DVC subs:

Here are the two crossfire amps, a VR1000D on the right and a VR400.2 on the left. The 402 isn't being used right now, as I'm still waiting for the q-forms for my focals to arrive. Couldn't be happier with the crossfire 1000D so far though. I'm estimating 140-145 db SPL.

CD player, panasonic, no complaints so far:
Old 10-20-2003, 06:27 PM

Very nice equipment you've got going there.

One thing I don't like is your setup. Looks "ghetto" or just kind of thrown in there. If you can, I would place the subs further back, tilted at a 45 degree angle up and out the back, like lean them against the strut tower cover-bump-thingies and mount it there if it doesn't stay, then put the two amps in front of the subs, equally distanced from all sides (by "in front of the subs" i mean closer to the person standing outside of your open trunk).

Or, if you want the trunk space, you could put the two amps in front of the subs off to the sides, and mount them there whichever way looks good to you.

Just some suggestions that I think would make a great improvement over your current box-thrown-in-the-trunk look.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That's true, it does have a bit of a ghetto look. I just have it thrown in there for now because I was eager to see how the subs sound (which are great so far IMO, compared to the IDQ's, MTX 7000's, and Audiomobile MASS's I've owned previously).

The install is still a work in progress. One thing I cannot do is change the box. I barely had enough room to fit 3 12's straight across like that and it took some coersion to fit the enclosure in there as it is. I cannot move the box any further toward the back of the trunk or even tilt it back....there is maybe .5" of space between the back of the box and the back wall of the trunk. I have a hard time just fitting my hand in there. I custom made the box out of 3/4" MDF to give each sub about .95 cubic feet, so it is definitely a tight fit!

I do want to figure out a way to clean up the wires around the amps, but I still need to hook up the focals first (as soon as my q-forms arrive). I have the crossovers for the focals and distribution blocks for the power wire on the same side of the box as the amplifiers, although they can't really be seen in the photo.

The install does get the job done for now. 1/0 Gauge power and ground and the subs sound great so far. Some people have been telling me to point the subs firing back, but I experimented a little and couldn't tell much difference between firing back and firing straight up as long as the sub box was located at the very rear of the trunk.