Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Experience w/ Audiobahn subwoofers

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 07:24 PM

Experience w/ Audiobahn subwoofers

Well I have heard of them a little bit, and on their site they show a lot of awards they have received in competitions, but I haven't heard these subs before. I found a beautiful dual 12" bandpass box at my local car audio shop that these subwoofers come in w/ a neon light actually built inside the box. Both subs and the box are only $300-I think this is because it is a relatively small/new company. A few people have told me they sound very good-despite the small (only 45 oz) magnet they have. Does this small of a magnet effect performance? The subs are 400 RMS each, so 800 RMS total, and I am thinking of powering them with a Rockford 800.2, any input on these subs is appreciated. Thanks.

site- www.audiobahninc.com

PJ
Old 09-20-2001, 07:49 PM

Re: Experience w/ Audiobahn subwoofers

Originally posted by speednsound007
Well I have heard of them a little bit, and on their site they show a lot of awards they have received in competitions, but I haven't heard these subs before. I found a beautiful dual 12" bandpass box at my local car audio shop that these subwoofers come in w/ a neon light actually built inside the box. Both subs and the box are only $300-I think this is because it is a relatively small/new company. A few people have told me they sound very good-despite the small (only 45 oz) magnet they have. Does this small of a magnet effect performance? The subs are 400 RMS each, so 800 RMS total, and I am thinking of powering them with a Rockford 800.2, any input on these subs is appreciated. Thanks.

site- www.audiobahninc.com

PJ
I installed one in my friends supra about a month ago. He loves it. He has all there stuff though ... coaxials in the doors and the rear, amp, cap, crossover, and sub. We built the box for an older model sub he had, but it turned out the sub was bad and we jerry rigged a cerwin vega (p.o.s. sub) for a car show. now we just put the new sub in and I'll admit it sounds good. Different tastes though. He like to push his sub to limits and to the point you can barely hear the mids/highs. I like more balanced myself. Depends on your tastes but since the shop already has them in a box, ask them to put them in your car and let you listen to them. If they sound good, you have made a wise purchase. If not, then saved yourself some heartache.
Old 09-20-2001, 07:58 PM

Re: Re: Experience w/ Audiobahn subwoofers

yea, I have to special order them now that they're sold out though, so even if i take them back I am out the $30 shipping...But good to hear they sound good, which ones did he have? The same 400RMS subs? All the others are higher, those are the lowest.

thanks,
PJ

Originally posted by ispeed

I installed one in my friends supra about a month ago. He loves it. He has all there stuff though ... coaxials in the doors and the rear, amp, cap, crossover, and sub. We built the box for an older model sub he had, but it turned out the sub was bad and we jerry rigged a cerwin vega (p.o.s. sub) for a car show. now we just put the new sub in and I'll admit it sounds good. Different tastes though. He like to push his sub to limits and to the point you can barely hear the mids/highs. I like more balanced myself. Depends on your tastes but since the shop already has them in a box, ask them to put them in your car and let you listen to them. If they sound good, you have made a wise purchase. If not, then saved yourself some heartache.
Old 09-20-2001, 08:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Experience w/ Audiobahn subwoofers

yea, I have to special order them now that they're sold out though, so even if i take them back I am out the $30 shipping...But good to hear they sound good, which ones did he have? The same 400RMS subs? All the others are higher, those are the lowest.

thanks,
PJ

to be completely honest, do know the exact model numbers. All I know is that it has a chrome basket. (he's a chrome freak! with the chrome amps, cap, and all.)
Old 09-20-2001, 10:25 PM

Those speakers aren't too great. You're mainly paying for the extravagent box, the woofers are pretty weak. A friend of mine bought a similar setup (same woofers) last year's box design. The box looked nice and everything, but they didn't get very loud at all. In fact, a friend with two 10's could get a bit louder... Even worse, he was running it with the same amp you're considering (Rockford 800.2) and after only two days, blew one of the woofers. It might have been because the amp puts out over 1000 watts in reality, but he had the gains pretty low. If you want to go with Audiobahn, look into their AW1200x subs. They're 12's with huge magnets. You can get them for around $100 shipped on ebay and such, not sure how much you'd pay locally. Add a box and you're in the same price range with MUCH better subs. These are rated for 700 RMS each and have been known to take a lot more power without problems. My same friend replaced the blown setup with a single AW1200x and he said it hits much harder even with only one. Their ALUM 12x models are supposed to be pretty good too, but haven't heard one personally and they're more expensive.
Old 09-21-2001, 01:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

American Bass

I would highly recomend American Bass subs. I have one 12 in a bandpass box and it is really nice. People always ask what I have and when I say 1 12 they are suprised.

My friend has 2 12's from American Bass and a 1000 watt amp and it is just insane.

www.abass.com
Old 09-22-2001, 09:50 AM

I guess I'll ask some more quetsions form the people at the store

And see how much the 1200x's would costs, they're 700 RMS each, but I'd still just power them with a 800.2... I wonder if they can be used in the same box, probably not though. Maybe if they have a 30 day return policy I'll get the 400 RMS ones anyways and if they sound bad take them back. Anyone else have input on these?

PJ

Originally posted by Gates
Those speakers aren't too great. You're mainly paying for the extravagent box, the woofers are pretty weak. A friend of mine bought a similar setup (same woofers) last year's box design. The box looked nice and everything, but they didn't get very loud at all. In fact, a friend with two 10's could get a bit louder... Even worse, he was running it with the same amp you're considering (Rockford 800.2) and after only two days, blew one of the woofers. It might have been because the amp puts out over 1000 watts in reality, but he had the gains pretty low. If you want to go with Audiobahn, look into their AW1200x subs. They're 12's with huge magnets. You can get them for around $100 shipped on ebay and such, not sure how much you'd pay locally. Add a box and you're in the same price range with MUCH better subs. These are rated for 700 RMS each and have been known to take a lot more power without problems. My same friend replaced the blown setup with a single AW1200x and he said it hits much harder even with only one. Their ALUM 12x models are supposed to be pretty good too, but haven't heard one personally and they're more expensive.
Old 09-23-2001, 04:03 AM

Re: I guess I'll ask some more quetsions form the people at the store

And see how much the 1200x's would costs, they're 700 RMS each, but I'd still just power them with a 800.2... I wonder if they can be used in the same box, probably not though. Maybe if they have a 30 day return policy I'll get the 400 RMS ones anyways and if they sound bad take them back. Anyone else have input on these?

PJ

Check groupbuycenter they have a deal on the aw1200x's and also for the audiobahn amp's. I just replaced a 800.2 amp with the 1300 audiobahn amp and I REALLY LOVE IT!
Old 09-23-2001, 05:19 PM

I checked the groupbuy forum

and I don't see anything on audiobahn subs, are you tlaking about a different group buy place? Like a website or something?

thanks,
PJ
Old 09-24-2001, 05:37 PM

Re: I checked the groupbuy forum

and I don't see anything on audiobahn subs, are you tlaking about a different group buy place? Like a website or something?

thanks,
PJ
Not sure if I can post links but it's groupbuycenter add a www to the front and a com to the end. But the deal on the subs ends today and the amps in October.