Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

6x9??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 01:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

6x9??

IN away can 6x9 fit in a maxima 1996?
Old 01-09-2002, 03:25 PM

Re: 6x9??

Originally posted by Cashj2002
IN away can 6x9 fit in a maxima 1996?
I you really wanted to put them in you could cut the rear deck and put them in. However a 6.5" speaker is much better, any time you change the shape of a driver from round to an oval it becomes weaker therefore easier to distort. Stick with the 6.5" drivers.
Old 01-10-2002, 05:59 AM

Re: Re: 6x9??

Originally posted by Maxstilln

I you really wanted to put them in you could cut the rear deck and put them in. However a 6.5" speaker is much better, any time you change the shape of a driver from round to an oval it becomes weaker therefore easier to distort. Stick with the 6.5" drivers.
Oh ok thanx
Old 01-10-2002, 08:34 AM

Re: Re: 6x9??

lmfao!!! dont listen to what that guy just said at ALL!!

i had 6.5 point sources originally. Then i blew one out cause it couldnt handle th epower i was throing to it(Kicker zx460 4channel)the damn thing was even on high pass and they still couldnt take the power.
So I made some cut outs in the rear, shaved off the rear vents, recarpeted the entire rear deack and used 2 rolls of Dynamat Extreme back there. I decided to go with Pioneer Premier 3way 6x9's. By far they had the best power hnadling over most other 6x9 on the market. Ill say it was 100x louder and cleaner than any 6.5" could ever reproduce!! I actually have bass with them unlike the weak 6.5 that distored with the bass up one notch. Now i have my amp set to full range and they give me that sub bass without sacraficing the extra weight of subs and another amp!

if you have the time and want better sound quality and volume get 6x9's and a good pair of tin snips from Sears($20) and your golden
Old 01-10-2002, 08:44 AM

Re: Re: Re: 6x9??

Originally posted by ny96max

i had 6.5 point sources originally. Then i blew one out cause it couldnt handle th epower i was throing to it(Kicker zx460 4channel)the damn thing was even on high pass and they still couldnt take the power.
So I made some cut outs in the rear, shaved off the rear vents, recarpeted the entire rear deack and used 2 rolls of Dynamat Extreme back there. I decided to go with Pioneer Premier 3way 6x9's. By far they had the best power hnadling over most other 6x9 on the market. Ill say it was 100x louder and cleaner than any 6.5" could ever reproduce!! I actually have bass with them unlike the weak 6.5 that distored with the bass up one notch. Now i have my amp set to full range and they give me that sub bass without sacraficing the extra weight of subs and another amp!

if you have the time and want better sound quality and volume get 6x9's and a good pair of tin snips from Sears($20) and your golden
What year is your max??? Mine is a 1996 So u did have to customize the rear speakers to fit the 6x9's in?
Old 01-10-2002, 01:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: 6x9??

I'm sorry if you 6.5" couldn't handle the power you gave them, maybe you amp cliped and "blew" your speakers. If you had any knowledge about speakers you would understand what I said. 4X6; 5X7; 6x9 and 4X10 are the worst size speakers you can buy. Yes some 6X9 can handle a bunch of power, but anything with an oversized magnent will do that. If you look at the excursion of those drivers you'll see that they are very limited and again what I said before about driver surface break up. In every test module an oval shaped speaker will fail and begin to flex before a similar round shaped cone will. 6X9's aren't bad speakers just that a good or better pair of 6.5" will sound better. It's your ridev do what you want, I was just giving you an honest answer to you question. And by the way I cut my deck to install my subs, so it can be done and it not hard at all.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 6x9??

I'm sorry if you 6.5" couldn't handle the power you gave them, maybe you amp cliped and "blew" your speakers. If you had any knowledge about speakers you would understand what I said. 4X6; 5X7; 6x9 and 4X10 are the worst size speakers you can buy. Yes some 6X9 can handle a bunch of power, but anything with an oversized magnent will do that. If you look at the excursion of those drivers you'll see that they are very limited and again what I said before about driver surface break up. In every test module an oval shaped speaker will fail and begin to flex before a similar round shaped cone will. 6X9's aren't bad speakers just that a good or better pair of 6.5" will sound better. It's your ridev do what you want, I was just giving you an honest answer to you question. And by the way I cut my deck to install my subs, so it can be done and it not hard at all.
This stereo install said that it would make the back panel weaker and easier to fall or some something like that. So u think the cutting out is worth it? The are kenwood speakers with tweeters
Old 01-10-2002, 01:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 6x9??

Originally posted by Cashj2002

What year is your max??? Mine is a 1996 So u did have to customize the rear speakers to fit the 6x9's in?

you have to like i said buy right and left angled tin snips and cut out the opening to fit them. They come with templates you can use. Also youll have to cut out the rear deack a lil too to fit the grills for the 6x9's. I have mine top-mounted on the rear deck along with the grills.

Maxstilln yes but 6x9s blow away 6.5's speakers anyday of the week, especially in a 95/99 maxima in the rear.
I like loud music and having a 6.5" coax in the rear wasnt loud enough for me, even components in the rear wouldnt do anything more. So 6x9 is the next level up especially for rear fill(mids/mid-bass) in a system. Ill leave it up to my Eclipse 6.5" components up front to scream out the crystal clear highs!!

if you dont belive me at the next meet ill make you def and prove to you that 6x9's will improve anyones system here.
Old 01-10-2002, 02:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 6x9??

if you dont belive me at the next meet ill make you def and prove to you that 6x9's will improve anyones system here. [/B][/QUOTE]

Anyone can make something really loud but making it sound clean clear and hit hard as h@ll is an art. If you want to battle systems, bring it on. When I finish my car I'll bring it to the NY meet and we can go at it. And just for the record I have no 6.5" or 6X9s in my rear deck. Should just have a set of 4" drivers and of course my 2 12" GTI woofers We'll see, I'm up for a challange, how bout you?
Old 01-10-2002, 04:58 PM

well all i was goin for was sound quality and clarity!! im through with BASS and all that $hit that slows down my car. Im in it now for sound quality and i think im almost 100% perfect in that department!
Old 01-10-2002, 06:10 PM

well all i was goin for was sound quality and clarity!! im through with BASS and all that $hit that slows down my car. Im in it now for sound quality and i think im almost 100% perfect in that department!
Well than I can bring the RTA and we can see!
Old 01-10-2002, 10:01 PM

If I can get 6x9s to fit in my '89, you can definitely put some in a '96. The back deck had to be recut, but that wasnt much of a problem. I've got 6x9" Pioneer TS-601's in the back, and smaller pioneers in the front. The head unit is a pioneer FP40H double DIN CD/Cassette. As for bass-y systems, I agree with ny96max. I like my music loud. These TS-601s really put the tunes out. My friends ride in the back seat, and when I crank it up, they're like, "aaaaaaaaah!!! TREBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" lol. The treble is only at +2.
Old 01-10-2002, 10:29 PM

Well than I can bring the RTA and we can see!
just gimme lets say another few weeks to finish up my rear-deck make over
Old 01-11-2002, 08:37 AM

just gimme lets say another few weeks to finish up my rear-deck make over
That's fine with me my install should be finished in around March and I'm doing it in our NY office so I'll be close by, when ever your ready.......
Old 01-11-2002, 01:16 PM

cashj2002.....

Depending on your driving style, you may want to do away with your rear channel speakers entirely. If you do a lot of driving without anyone sitting in the backseat, it is actually better to just have a front channel. With rear channel speakers, the center of sound is pulled back, away from the listener's (you) head. What I have done with my car is put one set of cerwin vega...vega series components in the front and two 12" vega series subs in the trunk. This gives not only, incredible sound levels, but quality too.

oh..... and oval speakers do not have the same excursion characteristics of circular speakers. They are actually physically defective in design.
Old 01-11-2002, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by jay_johnson
cashj2002.....

Depending on your driving style, you may want to do away with your rear channel speakers entirely. If you do a lot of driving without anyone sitting in the backseat, it is actually better to just have a front channel. With rear channel speakers, the center of sound is pulled back, away from the listener's (you) head. What I have done with my car is put one set of cerwin vega...vega series components in the front and two 12" vega series subs in the trunk. This gives not only, incredible sound levels, but quality too.

oh..... and oval speakers do not have the same excursion characteristics of circular speakers. They are actually physically defective in design.
Thank you some who understand what I was trying say!! But hey what do I know I just work for a speaker company. Your sysytem sounds nice, I have no rear speakers right now, for people that have them you are 100% correct, you should set the fader slightly to the front but that can result in a loss of bass. I'm installing a set of rear drivers just for fill for my surround set up from DVD. It's ok though I'll bring my car and play my system for him than he'll see what a real system sounds like.