Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

Need seatbelt recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 07:21 AM

Need seatbelt recommendations

I am currently using the stock seat belt with a belt clip made for child car seats; I think it's called a "Buckle Buddy". It works pretty well, but I still slide around quite a bit.

I seem to remember a discussion here a few years ago about racing style (maybe 4-point) harness that could be used in the Maxima without needing a roll bar for attachment points. Does anyone have any info on these or, more importantly, used one of these?
Old 06-28-2002, 10:29 AM

Re: Need seatbelt recommendations

Originally posted by sinewave
I am currently using the stock seat belt with a belt clip made for child car seats; I think it's called a "Buckle Buddy". It works pretty well, but I still slide around quite a bit.

I seem to remember a discussion here a few years ago about racing style (maybe 4-point) harness that could be used in the Maxima without needing a roll bar for attachment points. Does anyone have any info on these or, more importantly, used one of these?
I use Schroth Ralley 3's. They bolt right into the stock attachment points at the seats, and the third strap goes to the C pillar attachment point. There is a clip that can be undone so people can use the rear seats, and all the stock seatbelt remain in place.

I do not move with these harnesses and they were definitely worth the investment. I bought them at HMS Motorsports, who is one of the primary importers into the country for Schroth belts.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/newstore.php?m=12&sub=382
Old 06-28-2002, 10:59 AM

Thanks, that is what I am looking for. I appears that you can quickly remove the entire upper portion; the strap that goes to the rear and the upper part of the shoulder straps. Do you detach that section and just use the stock seat belts for everyday driving? If so, do the remaining parts of the racing harness get in your way or cause any discomfort?
Old 06-28-2002, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by sinewave
Thanks, that is what I am looking for. I appears that you can quickly remove the entire upper portion; the strap that goes to the rear and the upper part of the shoulder straps. Do you detach that section and just use the stock seat belts for everyday driving? If so, do the remaining parts of the racing harness get in your way or cause any discomfort?
Since I'm usually the only one in my car, I tend to leave everything connected. It only takes 30 sec. total to unclip both sides if people need to sit in back. Even with everything connected, you can still use the stock seatblets. I just push the harness to both sides and sit between it. It doesn't cause any discomfort at all. Sometimes I also use the harness on the street, it provides a lot better support just in normal driving as well, though you will get some looks
Old 07-01-2002, 06:25 PM

just remember to never use a racing harness unless you have a roll-bar, or some sort of roll-over protection...

Even though autocrossing is a low speed motorsport, i'd still avoid using it...
Old 07-01-2002, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Driven EF9
just remember to never use a racing harness unless you have a roll-bar, or some sort of roll-over protection...

WHY?
Old 07-01-2002, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by Driven EF9

Yeah, why? Do you have any idea how many cars I've seen driven on tracks without a rollbar. The harness bolts into the same stock points as the regular belts, it just distributes the loads more evenly.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you roll the car without a rollbar to protect you, your head will take all the impact because you are strapped in upright. With regular seatbelts, you can move to the side to avoid that. That's the primary reason.

Originally posted by iwannabmw

Yeah, why? Do you have any idea how many cars I've seen driven on tracks without a rollbar. The harness bolts into the same stock points as the regular belts, it just distributes the loads more evenly.
Old 02-15-2003, 06:08 AM

Originally posted by bigd480
If you roll the car without a rollbar to protect you, your head will take all the impact because you are strapped in upright. With regular seatbelts, you can move to the side to avoid that. That's the primary reason.

How is a roll bar going to make a differance. Your head will still hiy the roof?
Old 02-15-2003, 11:50 AM

without a rollbar: roof collapses head smashed. If you have regular belts you also have the ability to move to the side to avoid the roof coming in on you. If you are harnessed in, you can't move to the side.

with rollbar: car rolls but the point of the rollbar is to keep roof from collapsing - so as long as your head is below the level of the roll bar you should be OK whether you are harnessed in or not.

Originally posted by amax935

How is a roll bar going to make a differance. Your head will still hiy the roof?
Old 02-15-2003, 02:55 PM
Conecarver

I also have the Schroth R3. Once disconnected the whole thing hides away great. The rear pieces can be slid between the rear seat cushions. The fronts can be slid under the drivers seat from the rear. Unless you look under the drivers seat you'd never know it's installed. I NEVER use mine for daily driving as you can't reach anywhere else in the car ie. glovebox, rearseat, etc. or hardly look over your shoulder.

DrivenEF9 has a point about rollovers. So just don't roll the car
Actually, the Schroth releases so fast you could probably unfasten it enough to slide down if needed. I never want to find out though.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:58 PM

I've received advice to the same effect; don't use 4-point or 5-point harnesses without a roll bar if at all possible for optimum safety.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:24 PM

This really is a huge Pandora's box, but sice someone has munched their car at nearly every track event I've attended, I would be inclined to err on the side of caution.

If you value your head, use the harness with a roll bar.

And to the guy who said he could undo it fast enough -- no way. If you have ever driven on a track and spun (forget about a real crash for a moment), there's no way you are going to have the wherewithal to get your harness undone. Sorry, it's just a completely unrealistic scenario.

And as far as the "I'm not going to roll my car" attitude goes, that's something you don't really have control over. I guarantee you none of the guys at the track events I've been to who rolled their cars planned on it that morning. By virture of the fact that you are on a track, or even an autocross, you run the risk of roll-over.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM

I was about to get one as well as I slide around too much. but every racer I know said NOT to get one unless I have a rollbar. You're better off getting a better seat.

It's not just your head you have to worry about, but your spine as well.

If you rollover and the roof crushees down to the level of the door and you are starpped in your eat with no room for movement, you are a DEAD MAN, or worse a QUADRIPLEGIC plain and simple.

No way in hell are you going to be able to release it on time, think about what happens in a rollover specially a highspeed one.

But hey it's your life do what you want.

Look at this thread I start asking the same question a whle ago, look at the bottom picture of the BMW. Imagine youself strapped to your seat and not being able to move.