Dyno Discussion and Slips Discussion and a moderated "Dyno Slips" sub-forum to allow for posting of dyno slips.

3.5 Swap + 4psi of Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jarods7920
Seems like your missing power and your tune needs some well....work we will say.
The power and the tune is perfectly fine.

Like I said many times, I wasnt dynoing to tune and get the most power bla bla bla. Come on its only 4psi, and I took back all the indirect timing advance I had from NA, so no you cant compare at all to my previous NA best of 256whp. You cant also go by the 4psi and what power that SHOULD equal, after all, ths turbo isnt exactly meant to be in a motor as "small" as a 3.5, or boost that little amount of pressure for that matter, its OFF THE MAP for efficiency at that 4psi it was on before.

Now that the IC is on, the boost leaks have been fixed and a bit of fuel has been added. Im on 6psi right now.

For every1's update, Im not going to dyno soon any time soon. BIG project coming up and its going to throw off the whole tune, change the entire powercurve, and not to mention, more boost! :-D lol. Dont bother asking for hints, just wait for the end product tuned and dyno'd.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:23 AM

CRITICAL UPDATE

This took place this morning. For you locals, it was ~930am, the 836 westbound after MIA (so you know there were no cars, all the traffic was going East).

Copy n pasted from an AIM convo...

ElReyNica2003: so all this time right, boost leaks fixed, FMIC on, I raised boost from 4psi (went down to 2 after FMIC) raised it to high 5s. But i'd only see those "high 5 ALMOST 6" on 3rd gear. so i ASSUMED I had maybe 6.5ish psi on 4th.... i was wrong
ElReyNica2003: today I had enough open space, so from 90mph on 4th gear (4000rpm), I ease into the gas and watch that boost gauge, 0...1-2-3-4-5-6-7..7.5ish and thats where I let off cus I know i dont have enoug fuel for that boost (my corrections are made for the "high 5psi")
but daaaaaaaamn that was was MOVIN
ElReyNica2003: i went from 90mph to 120 in under 3 seconds
ElReyNica2003: i swear, i floored it, looked at the gauge, saw it go 0...1234567 7.5 and I just let off cus i got scared!
ElReyNica2003: then i look down and i was arleady at 120!
ElReyNica2003: that did NOT take more than 3 seconds, it was almost instant, lol
ElReyNica2003: daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, LOL

Great... so now I need to get my 3rd gear 6psi tune and make it richer! cus now Im seeing 7.5 on 4th gear!... thats a big difference in airflow, lol. WOW that was !!!!

But I have to make sure I have enough fuel for that boost before I ever do it again. Also, the 3" MAF with A32 sensor, SAFC MAF IN set to 04 (A32), even in that run it only saw 68.9%. So there's PLENTY of room to go before maxing it out. Probably wont ever. I dont think this setup will ever see more than 9psi anyways.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:30 AM

congrats dude ! sopunds like a beast .. I wanna see / hear it
Old 02-12-2008, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
This took place this morning. For you locals, it was ~930am, the 836 westbound after MIA (so you know there were no cars, all the traffic was going East).

Copy n pasted from an AIM convo...

ElReyNica2003: so all this time right, boost leaks fixed, FMIC on, I raised boost from 4psi (went down to 2 after FMIC) raised it to high 5s. But i'd only see those "high 5 ALMOST 6" on 3rd gear. so i ASSUMED I had maybe 6.5ish psi on 4th.... i was wrong
ElReyNica2003: today I had enough open space, so from 90mph on 4th gear (4000rpm), I ease into the gas and watch that boost gauge, 0...1-2-3-4-5-6-7..7.5ish and thats where I let off cus I know i dont have enoug fuel for that boost (my corrections are made for the "high 5psi")
but daaaaaaaamn that was was MOVIN
ElReyNica2003: i went from 90mph to 120 in under 3 seconds
ElReyNica2003: i swear, i floored it, looked at the gauge, saw it go 0...1234567 7.5 and I just let off cus i got scared!
ElReyNica2003: then i look down and i was arleady at 120!
ElReyNica2003: that did NOT take more than 3 seconds, it was almost instant, lol
ElReyNica2003: daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, LOL

Great... so now I need to get my 3rd gear 6psi tune and make it richer! cus now Im seeing 7.5 on 4th gear!... thats a big difference in airflow, lol. WOW that was !!!!

But I have to make sure I have enough fuel for that boost before I ever do it again. Also, the 3" MAF with A32 sensor, SAFC MAF IN set to 04 (A32), even in that run it only saw 68.9%. So there's PLENTY of room to go before maxing it out. Probably wont ever. I dont think this setup will ever see more than 9psi anyways.
nice!. well dont be too scare, because just cuz u went higher in boost dosnt mean you went leaner. Sometimes when i go higher in boost it actually gets richer. but its still good that you let off. now what bothers me is that you dont get that 7psi in any other lower gear. Its like your driving a s/c car with the boost varying. With that said, i know of two solutions for that Sr. one - the project you have coming up should solve some of it. Two - you can do what i did, go with EB, or and rig up the electronic boost controller, that way as the turbo is spoolin up going up in RPM's, you can set the WG to stay closed. This way the turbo will spool up to your set pressure (7psi or w/e), and WG wont open till it hits 7. Because right now as your turbo is spooling up, your WG is already opening when it notices any boost.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
nice!. well dont be too scare, because just cuz u went higher in boost dosnt mean you went leaner. Sometimes when i go higher in boost it actually gets richer. but its still good that you let off. now what bothers me is that you dont get that 7psi in any other lower gear. Its like your driving a s/c car with the boost varying. With that said, i know of two solutions for that Sr. one - the project you have coming up should solve some of it. Two - you can do what i did, go with EB, or and rig up the electronic boost controller, that way as the turbo is spoolin up going up in RPM's, you can set the WG to stay closed. This way the turbo will spool up to your set pressure (7psi or w/e), and WG wont open till it hits 7. Because right now as your turbo is spooling up, your WG is already opening when it notices any boost.
I agree with the 1st solution. It'll make it more predictable and cause the boost to come in smoother. Your 2nd solution however, I know it will be very effective and all, but at this point I refuse to deal with an E Manage, as you know I dont have the luxury of having a laptop available to tune on the fly. I actually dont mind having less boost in the lower gears, not like I have traction there anyways. But like I said talking to you online- wrapping the b-pipe is going to make for a much more consistent boost. Especially after that 1st run to get the pipes hot.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:11 PM

update

Yea so um... went for a drive with nismology for tuning. Wanted to see what the a/f was looking like for that ubber boost in 4th gear.

Well, first of all its not 7.5, it goes all the way to 8psi INITIALLY and slowly settles back down to 7-7.5psi. So its just a spike from the boost controller most likely.

Anyways I didnt notice it the last few times that i did it, but I floored it 4th gear with him to get that ubber boost, and it was pinging slightly. Turns out a/f on 4th gear was around 12.5s. So we richened it out and now its mostly sitting at high 10s, no leaner than 11.3. Did a few runs and not an ounce of pinging. Pulled strongly and very linearly.

So after getting some gas, Nismology got to drive the car for a good 1/2 hr on the way back.... shoulda seen the look on his face. The grin was priceless . Perhaps Im converting him over to the dark side of boost?
Old 02-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yea so um... went for a drive with nismology for tuning. Wanted to see what the a/f was looking like for that ubber boost in 4th gear.

Well, first of all its not 7.5, it goes all the way to 8psi INITIALLY and slowly settles back down to 7-7.5psi. So its just a spike from the boost controller most likely.

Anyways I didnt notice it the last few times that i did it, but I floored it 4th gear with him to get that ubber boost, and it was pinging slightly. Turns out a/f on 4th gear was around 12.5s. So we richened it out and now its mostly sitting at high 10s, no leaner than 11.3. Did a few runs and not an ounce of pinging. Pulled strongly and very linearly.

So after getting some gas, Nismology got to drive the car for a good 1/2 hr on the way back.... shoulda seen the look on his face. The grin was priceless . Perhaps Im converting him over to the dark side of boost?
WTF MATE why wasnt i notified of this grandpa driving situation?
Old 02-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Kevlo for President

So basically you need some kevlo tech tuning...
Old 02-14-2008, 04:28 PM

Nice!!!, so that means u might be close to giving me a run for my monies? at least in 4th gear that is. I just fixed an UBER leak (was testing 10psi to remind myself how it felt lol, boost hit 5psi and dropped down to 2psi LOL. but now that its fixed )
Old 02-15-2008, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
So basically you need some kevlo tech tuning...
what is this kevlo tech tuning you speak of? (BTW, are u going to the big meet in March?)

Nice!!!, so that means u might be close to giving me a run for my monies? at least in 4th gear that is. I just fixed an UBER leak (was testing 10psi to remind myself how it felt lol, boost hit 5psi and dropped down to 2psi LOL. but now that its fixed )
Im not aiming to give you a close run sir, I expect to walk you hopefully, lol. But we'll see when I finish my project, and when you do the thing you have to do.

When you and me finally run it at the track.... omg!!!!!! THAT will be the race of the century
Old 02-15-2008, 06:49 AM
SC Overspinning Swapper!!

Its interesting to hear that you are getting pinging. When I was on stock compression, I never once heard any pinging . After the J&S, I never saw my knock monitor lit up, except maybe for that one time I accidentally pumped regular 87 oct

I always pump 93 oct (available everywhere here in Texas) and I always kept my A/F between 12-12.5:1. Texas does get pretty toasty, but maybe that fridge sized intercooler could have something to do with it.

BTW, I strongly recommend J&S. It will allow you to run on edge and protect you should you heat soak, add poor fuel, get a boost-spike, or come across any other shenanigans.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:07 AM

Hey man, can this pinging be due to the indirect timing advance on the AFC? Are you pulling fuel up top??

Anyways, mexi, what knock sensor are you using, 4th or 5th gen? I gotta get this thing wired into my EU.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:41 AM
SC Overspinning Swapper!!

Originally Posted by 98MaXeDouT
Hey man, can this pinging be due to the indirect timing advance on the AFC? Are you pulling fuel up top??

Anyways, mexi, what knock sensor are you using, 4th or 5th gen? I gotta get this thing wired into my EU.
Yes, pinging can be attributed to indirect timing advance due to the pulling of fuel via AFC. On my setup, I purposely lowered the base fuel pressure enough so that I would only add fuel across the rpm range and thus allow for a bit of indirect timing retard.

I am using the 5th Gen OEM knock sensor that came with my VQ35. I just tapped it (and shielded it) to have the signal sent to the J&S.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by meximax
Its interesting to hear that you are getting pinging. When I was on stock compression, I never once heard any pinging . After the J&S, I never saw my knock monitor lit up, except maybe for that one time I accidentally pumped regular 87 oct

I always pump 93 oct (available everywhere here in Texas) and I always kept my A/F between 12-12.5:1. Texas does get pretty toasty, but maybe that fridge sized intercooler could have something to do with it.

BTW, I strongly recommend J&S. It will allow you to run on edge and protect you should you heat soak, add poor fuel, get a boost-spike, or come across any other shenanigans.
Keep in mind though that with your s/c you only see full boost close to redline. I see full boost in the 3k-4k range, so it puts a much tougher load on the engine that way.

I've thought of the J&S unit... until I look at the price, then just keeping the a/f richer seems mor reasonable, LOL.

[QUOTE=98MaXeDouT;6247467]Hey man, can this pinging be due to the indirect timing advance on the AFC? Are you pulling fuel up top??
QUOTE]

That might have been contributing to it. At the time I still had cor in the midrange of -9% to -13%, and the a/f was around 12.5:1. Now that the a/f was taken back down to low 11s/ high 10s, the cor in the midrange are now around -2% to -4%. So NOW im basically running with hardly any corection.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:20 AM

You'd be surprised, us lucky 3.5 guys can come across some sick deals on my350z.com.

I picked up my basically brand new J&S for 300 shipped. Quick question, how noticeable was the pinging? Did you use a stethoscope or just heard it while driving. I've never dealt with or heard pinging, I'd like to know what to listen for just in case.

Last edited by 98MaXeDouT; 02-15-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by 98MaXeDouT
You'd be surprised, us lucky 3.5 guys can come across some sick deals on my350z.com.

I picked up my basically brand new J&S for 300 shipped. Quick question, how noticeable was the pinging? Did you use a stethoscope or just heard it while driving. I've never dealt with or heard pinging, I'd like to know what to listen for just in case.
Yea but thats $300 I could use for other things, lol.

Man I do old school tuning, I went by ear (plus, you cant put load on a turbo motor reving standing still, at least not my big a$s turbo lol. And if the motor is pinging at idle, its probably going to explode if you drive it, lol).

... and yes it was very much audiable. Its not loud, you have to be listening for it, but if you know what it sounds like its easy to identify.

Basically, think of little pebbles falling into a tin can, thats the best way I can describe it. Also driving through a gravel road and the lil rocks kicking up hitting the bottom of the car, that's another good example of what my pinging sounded like.... kinda scary when you're driving on clean fresh pavement LOL. Its not loud (if it was loud I'd be talking about doing another motor swap by now, LOL), you have to listen for it.

Last edited by 95BLKMAX; 02-15-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:49 PM

Yea but thats $300 I could use for other things, lol.

Man I do old school tuning, I went by ear (plus, you cant put load on a turbo motor reving standing still, at least not my big a$s turbo lol. And if the motor is pinging at idle, its probably going to explode if you drive it, lol).

... and yes it was very much audiable. Its not loud, you have to be listening for it, but if you know what it sounds like its easy to identify.

Basically, think of little pebbles falling into a tin can, thats the best way I can describe it. Also driving through a gravel road and the lil rocks kicking up hitting the bottom of the car, that's another good example of what my pinging sounded like.... kinda scary when you're driving on clean fresh pavement LOL. Its not loud (if it was loud I'd be talking about doing another motor swap by now, LOL), you have to listen for it.
Haha, i guess helping me tuning my car payed off for you lol, since u didnt kno wat ping was till u herd mine lol

Last edited by streetzlegend; 02-15-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:07 PM

Haha, i guess helping me tuning my car payed off for you lol, since u didnt kno wat ping was till u herd mine lol
yea basically, lol
Old 02-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Turbo 3.5

any updates
Old 02-23-2008, 08:46 PM
SLOW

Neat, I didn't know you'd dyno'd your car with the turbo on it.

FWIW I've heard knock on a VQ35 clear as day and it showed up up on the knock count in the engine management. The runs that knock showed on the EMS, I heard pinging. Those that I didn't hear any pinging from showed no knock on the EMS.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by t6378tp
any updates
No nothing new. I wanted to wrap the b-pipe this week but I may have to get a new cell phone and plan this week or next, so there goes the $ for that, lol. Perhaps next week after I get paid.

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Neat, I didn't know you'd dyno'd your car with the turbo on it.

FWIW I've heard knock on a VQ35 clear as day and it showed up up on the knock count in the engine management. The runs that knock showed on the EMS, I heard pinging. Those that I didn't hear any pinging from showed no knock on the EMS.
Thanks, I cant wait to dyno on the current 7-8psi its on, ESPECIALLY once I wrap that b-pipe. Boost is gonna come in almost instant