General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Autolock ?s

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2000, 07:23 AM

I just got the Autolock today. Anyone have any experience with it? Anyone have their car stolen while using it? Better to put under break or clutch? I'm in Newark NJ quite often (like 4th in the nation for autotheft). How much of a deterent is this thing? (yeah I know if a thief wants it he'll get it)
Old 12-13-2000, 07:28 AM
tan_camry

Clutch. If it's under the clutch, they can't start the car.
Are you talking about the one in infocommerical land, designed by a retired PA state trooper? Steel construction sold it's virtually bullet-proof? Gotta get one of those (and ditch the club)

tan

Old 12-13-2000, 07:30 AM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by Pappa Grande
I just got the Autolock today. Anyone have any experience with it? Anyone have their car stolen while using it? Better to put under break or clutch? I'm in Newark NJ quite often (like 4th in the nation for autotheft). How much of a deterent is this thing? (yeah I know if a thief wants it he'll get it)
If they want it, they'll take it. Simple as that. BUT doing everything yuo can to make it harder is a good thing. As for where to put it, I'd say under the brakes.

-Shing
Old 12-13-2000, 08:36 AM

I got one, looks pretty solid. Yes, if the REALLY want your car, they will take it somehow, but this will maybe make them think twice about taking YOUR car vs another one down the block. If you got a 5 Speed, put it on the clutch, automatic, put it on the brake. Lose the yellow steering wheel cover though!
Old 12-13-2000, 08:53 AM
MAXDriver

This is one of those item that works better on 5spd.

I think on some automatic cars (not sure if Maxima is one of those cars), you don't need to depress the brake pedal all the way down to shift from P to D.

Definitely put it on clutch pedal if you have manual tranny.

Old 12-13-2000, 09:19 AM

Re: This is one of those item that works better on 5spd.

Ok, but lets say some ***#$@@ is going to steel the car and drive with the autolock. There going to hotwire the car so they don't need to press down on the cluth, right? On an old RX7 i owned the clutch went out and I could still get the car home raming through the gear, so the car was still drivable. Let say its on the brake, how well can the emergency brake be used for stop and go traffic?

I'm being all **** cause my last car was stolen and I didn't have comprehensive, well I do now but I still want to make it difficult for any thieves...
Old 12-13-2000, 11:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I ordered the Autolock, but haven't receive it yet. I heard a lot of good things about it. Of course, it's not full proof. If a thief wants to steal your car, I don't care what you have, he's going to get it. However, with the Autolock, it will make it harder for him. Think about it, why would he waste time on a car that needs a bit of strategy to steal when he can just go steal another car that's much easier? So, having an Autolock is like another insurance policy.
Old 12-13-2000, 11:24 AM

Re: Re: This is one of those item that works better on 5spd.

Originally posted by Pappa Grande
Ok, but lets say some ***#$@@ is going to steel the car and drive with the autolock. There going to hotwire the car so they don't need to press down on the cluth, right? On an old RX7 i owned the clutch went out and I could still get the car home raming through the gear, so the car was still drivable. Let say its on the brake, how well can the emergency brake be used for stop and go traffic?

I'm being all **** cause my last car was stolen and I didn't have comprehensive, well I do now but I still want to make it difficult for any thieves...
I MAY be wrong, but I think it is not possible to start the car (with key or no key) without depressing the clutch first. You may be able to manhandle the car into gears to drive it once it is turned on (although causing havoc on your gearbox). Can anyone else try to confirm this?
Old 12-13-2000, 11:50 AM

Just unseat one of the spark plug wires, but leave it in there so it looks attatched. They'll never figure it out
Old 12-13-2000, 03:34 PM

Why ask if the Autolok is effective if you've bought one already? Just use it!

But to answer your question, if a thief wants your car, they'll get it. Nothing can stop a determined thief from stealing your car. All you can do is put a few obstacles in thier way and hope it's enough to deter them.

I mean, the thief can just tow your car away making all those steering wheel locking devices useless. LoJack isn't much use either, especially since if a thief knows you have LoJack, they will take your car to a lead lined warehouse where the LoJack signal can't penetrate.

Old 12-13-2000, 04:28 PM

Didn't ask "if its effective", just curious how best to use it. What's up with lead lined warehouse's?
_____

Originally posted by Eric L.
Why ask if the Autolok is effective if you've bought one already? Just use it!

But to answer your question, if a thief wants your car, they'll get it. Nothing can stop a determined thief from stealing your car. All you can do is put a few obstacles in thier way and hope it's enough to deter them.

I mean, the thief can just tow your car away making all those steering wheel locking devices useless. LoJack isn't much use either, especially since if a thief knows you have LoJack, they will take your car to a lead lined warehouse where the LoJack signal can't penetrate.

Old 12-13-2000, 09:14 PM
perlmax90

just though of something

i think i heard of what your talking about, and does it connect to the steering wheel and the clutch or brakes?

because if it does it doesn't matter which pedel you put it on they'll just have to cut the steering wheel with a hack saw. that how they get those things off anyway.

Old 12-13-2000, 09:42 PM

Re: just though of something

Originally posted by perlmax90
i think i heard of what your talking about, and does it connect to the steering wheel and the clutch or brakes?

because if it does it doesn't matter which pedel you put it on they'll just have to cut the steering wheel with a hack saw. that how they get those things off anyway.
Nope, it does not attach to the steering wheel at all. You are thinking of something else which sucks!
Old 12-13-2000, 09:45 PM
perlmax90

it doesn't

how does this thing work? is there a web site i car see it at?

Old 12-13-2000, 09:51 PM
perlmax90

nevermind i just serfed and found it

how much is that? its better that the club. your car isn't really protected with the club they can cut it of in like 5 sec.

Old 12-14-2000, 04:30 AM

How about locking it on the gas pedal?
Old 12-14-2000, 09:23 AM
perlmax90

thats a good idea

if its a auto you can still drive away, but it would look really funny when you see a car drive 3mph down the street. and you couldn't drive it up hill.

Old 12-14-2000, 12:14 PM
Finally, A New Status Title...How About Donating Maxima.org Member...Oh wait...NO!!!

have owned this thing for about 6 months now

ok, here are a few things that i have experienced with the autolock, first if you have stick put in on your clutch, if its an automatic put it on your brake. i don't know if there is room to put it on your gas. If they get it started they can get the thing into drive (auto) but won't be able to brake and i doubt they will take their chances using the ebrake. i accidentally left my window wide open for 3 days on the street and nothing happened to it. (Doh!) also me and my friends are kinda crazy and we tried to brake into one, we did everything short of the shotgun with no luck. in my opinion the only way to steal a car with the autolock on is to break in and throw it into neutral and tow the sucker away, but i haven't heard of many car thieves using tow trucks. the only thing i have heard is that if the autolock is a little loose someone can break the brake PAD off the brake and try to slide the autolock off that way, but if its on tight, there is no way to slide it off.

Jules