General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

how big is your MAF

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 07:18 PM

how big is your MAF

Just wanted to know if anybody on the boards here has upgraded their MAF to the last gen z MAF? If so what did you spend on it and is there a place to find a good reliable one. I have no means of testing one out myself.
BTW...what is the designation for the 90-96Z (Z32)?
Old 02-24-2003, 07:50 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

why do you want to use a Z32 MAF?? what mods do you have?? Mardigramax and several other 4th gens have proved the stock MAF good into the 300-400hp range with a little piggy back fuel help of course.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX
why do you want to use a Z32 MAF?? what mods do you have?? Mardigramax and several other 4th gens have proved the stock MAF good into the 300-400hp range with a little piggy back fuel help of course.

Thanks for the correction "Z32"-DUH.
What do you mean by piggy back fuel? Do you mean N2O
MAF voltage at max load (NA) is 4.2, I could be wrong because I may not fully understand the process. But, if I could lower the voltage draw on the MAF this would allow me to relize greater power gains more safely without running lean as long as the injectors were not running full duty. Right now the ohm is 10.1 peak on the injectors. Is this close to maxed out for 370cc injectors? I probably have this only partially right so someone could help correct me if i'm wrong.

Have not dyno'ed so i'm not sure of the #. However, mods are JWT ecu with nitrous "piggy back", walbro pump, 370cc injectors, 2.5 exhaust all the way back and the usaul pipes before and after the engine.

Talked with Ben this afternoon and he said that if the MAF was close to 5 volts (the max) and the injectors were at full cycle then it would be a wise choice to consider a larger MAF and a little tweaking on the program in my ecu.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:48 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I think you're fine, I don't think 10.1 is peak on the 370s...I could be wrong though. BUT if it is running peak, is your JWT ECU programmed to run the 370s?? if not maybe thats why you are running full duty all the time. on my friends turbo Civic we used a resistor box off a 91 SI wired into each injector to correclty run the 450cc injectors he is using...without the resistors the injectors run full duty all the time and burn out! not sure how that applies to the Maxima, but from this experinece of using high flow injectorson the Civic to prevent a full duty all the time using resistors is an option and I don't see why a Max would be different.

now with my JWT experience...on my friends turbo 92GXE he are using a JWT ECU setup to use 370cc injectors. I'm pretty sure JWT said their 370cc ECU program for the 370cc injectors should flow up to 350-400hp on the stock MAF w/o probs so I'm assuming if they set your ECU up right for the injectors it should work fine.

I'm not too sure on the 4th gen setups, but I know for sure the JWT 370 program should work up to 350hp+ without upgrading the MAF...or at least thats what they tell everyone. I'd talk to JWT and get some answers, also isn't Mardigras using 370s, he might be a good source of info too! but I don't think you are maxing them out at all.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:00 PM

Re: how big is your MAF

He's just saying the fuel system won't deliver as much fuel as the MAF can deliver air. Opening it up isn't thought to deliver much more horsepower, as 4th gen intake manifolds choke up at around 5k RPM. If you're really wanting to, I believe you can get an ECU to run a different MAF (JWT?), but as it was said earlier. Considering we can get more air through the MAF than our stock fuel system can support, it's probably not necessary unless you're pushing 500+ hp.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:06 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: how big is your MAF

Originally posted by ereet
it's probably not necessary unless you're pushing 500+ hp.
yeah thats my whole point right there...plus I seriously doubt he is maxing out the 370s.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: how big is your MAF

Originally posted by DA-MAX

yeah thats my whole point right there...plus I seriously doubt he is maxing out the 370s.
Who said i'm not pushing 500hp? Seriously though, my whole point was that the voltage on the MAF is getting pretty close to 5 volts and that's NOT on the juice. Don't know if on or off the juice makes a difference. Why should it not reach the full 5 volts and what can I do to prevent this?
The next issue would be what is the peak ohm load I will find just before they run full duty? I certainly don't want a failure. I'll say this again, and I may be wrong so someone please enlighten me. The reason you don't want the MAF to be at its capacity is because it will then tell the computer to keep the injectors open at 100% cycle. Where am I losing myself on this? Some knowledgable and professional help would be greatly appreciated...Break it down for a dummy.