General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I got hit tonight!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 02:36 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

I got hit tonight!

Well I was with a bunch of friends tonight, there was probably a total of 6 cars, we were on our way to a hangout at a nearby parking lot. We were at a 3 car lane road with a 4th and 5th lane, turning lanes. I sat the furthest to the right (next to the turning lane), we were at a red light(completely stopped). All of a sudden I heard major tire skid, lasting at least for a few seconds, I looked in my passenger side rearview and saw nothing but out of control headlight coming towards me, by the time the tire skidding was done he had already hit me. After I got out of the car, I realized that the person who hit me was my buddy's aquaintance who drove a NA 300zx. He had manage to hull a** around the bend before the light at over 65 mph(which he claim he was going, which we think it was faster) while changing a CD, he looked up and saw red lights, stomp on his brakes, lockup and hit me. He was going so fast and so out of control that he managed to hit me at almost a 90 degree angle right behind my rear passenger door with his front bumper then manager to have the momentum to turn completely 180 degree to hit my front passenger corner with his rearend while we almost skided into my buddy who was sitting in his car in the next lane.
The worse thing that I found out is that he didn't have insurance because he had the car for only a month. He offered to pay for all the damage to avoid me from claiming my insurance but I am not sure what to do. Physically I think I experienced a little whiplash, other then that I think I am okay. I'm hoping to get my car fix with a new bodykit and if theres any suspension damage(or anything else), I 'll get every dime and penny I could out of it. This was the first ever major accident I've been in and didn't realize how fast things can happen.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: I got hit tonight!

Originally posted by jcy98maxse
Well I was with a bunch of friends ... The worse thing that I found out is that he didn't have insurance because he had the car for only a month. This was the first ever major accident I've been in and didn't realize how fast things can happen.

I hear Cracker Jack is having a special on Driver Licences ... Get a box and you to can drive ...

j/k, learn slowly, before someone gets seriously hurt, I know its not your fault, ... but ...be cool and take it easy.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:11 AM
Kevlo for President

GLad everyone is ok
Old 07-21-2003, 07:38 AM

i'm sorry to hear what happened. i think you should contact your insurance co and ask to see if you have coverage by an uninsured driver, then take his money as well.. if he is not your friend and he is your friend's acquaintance more than likely money problems will arise. don't worry about him or the repercussions he will face for driving reckless and uninsured. you gotta look out for #1.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:01 AM

Old 07-21-2003, 08:54 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

You didn't call the police to the scene??

YOU are the victim. Everythign that happens from here on out should be solely iuntended on making YOU better. Don't bend over for him - don't let yourself take another fall when he cannot pay for your damages and it's too late to claim on your insurance.

Don't worry about his lack of insurance - he's already screwed. In most states you must report any addicent that causes more than $x damage. (in Ohio it's $300. Failure to do so is a serious offense of which YOU are guilty if you keep quiet.

If he hit you as bad as that, then do you really think he's gonna have enough money to pay the bodyshop? I suspect his "only had the car a month" excuse is either the best he could think of at the time, or because he can't afford to buy a car AND pay insurance - so how is he gonna pay your damage?

If YOU take the car to a bodyshop then YOU have to pay the bill. He may promise to, but if he cannot then the bodyshop will come after YOU. Even if HE is the one who takes it tot he bodyshop, they will have a mechanic's lein on the car and will not give it back until paid in full. If he fails to pay then they will hold onto YOUR car.

My advice;

1) Take the car to a bodyshop you trust NOW and get an estimate.
2) Take that estimate to this guy, and you need to see proof that he can pay cash NOW. Don't take a check or anything. Walk him to an ATM or to his bank or something.
3) You need to get a written statement from him accepting liability for the accident. The written statement should specify all the details of how the accident happened (doesn't have to mention his lack of insurance, if he's freaked about that) but you need something from him to back you up if you need to sue him in the future.
4) 48 hours after the accident, if he has not paid you in full, then *start* the claims process with your own insurance (you can always cancel it later)

If you leave it a week or so, then will you insurance still accept the claim? If you claim against your insuracne then what is the worst that will happen? They will pay your own damages then go after him to pay. That's waht he was already promising to do, and they would give him more time to come up with the money that you can (I assume you need the car to be fixed so you can drive it?)

I knew a guy who was hit by an uninsured motorist and he accepted a payment plan. He fixed the car himself and the payments never materialized. He tried to get payment, then finally sued, by that time the guy claimed he was not involved in the accident and the victim had no proof, so the claim failed.

If it was me, I'd file a police report today. If this guy is a friedn of yours then he will understand that HE screwed up, and it's not fair for him to expect YOU to take the fall.

If your neck hurts then go to a doctor. I don't mean fake whiplash or anytihhng, just look after yourself physically.

Another personal anecdote - this opne was me when I was youger, back when I was 17. A friend asked me to drive his car to a potential buyer because he had just lost his license. I told him I had not isurance and neither did he. he promised to pay my ticket if I got one. Well, wouldn't ya know, I got pulled over and got a $500 ticket. Plus when I *did* get insurance later it was tripled ($3k instead of $1k) for the next 3 years, meaning this whole deal cost me about $6500. I went to him for payment (of just the $500) and guess what. Suddenly he wasn't my friend any more - didn't want to know me and I never got a penny out of him. Sucks, but **** happens. LOOK AFTER YOURSELF - NOT HIM!!!
Old 07-21-2003, 09:30 AM
Jedi Knight

I'm with Scruit on this....make sure u call the cops and report it...he shouldn't be driving without insurance first off...whiplash can linger man...could end up being back related...my dad had a back issue for almost 20 years from a car accident...go to a doctor NOW!
Old 07-21-2003, 09:38 AM

Sorry to hear about this, Justin!! Where were you driving that all this happened? Sounds like along 7th east or state. My new 240sx just got side swiped in my apartments and I just barely got it out of the shop, too. You definitely need to file a police report though..Get it taken care of right.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:50 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

Originally posted by Scruit
You didn't call the police to the scene??

YOU are the victim. Everythign that happens from here on out should be solely iuntended on making YOU better. Don't bend over for him - don't let yourself take another fall when he cannot pay for your damages and it's too late to claim on your insurance.

Don't worry about his lack of insurance - he's already screwed. In most states you must report any addicent that causes more than $x damage. (in Ohio it's $300. Failure to do so is a serious offense of which YOU are guilty if you keep quiet.

If he hit you as bad as that, then do you really think he's gonna have enough money to pay the bodyshop? I suspect his "only had the car a month" excuse is either the best he could think of at the time, or because he can't afford to buy a car AND pay insurance - so how is he gonna pay your damage?

If YOU take the car to a bodyshop then YOU have to pay the bill. He may promise to, but if he cannot then the bodyshop will come after YOU. Even if HE is the one who takes it tot he bodyshop, they will have a mechanic's lein on the car and will not give it back until paid in full. If he fails to pay then they will hold onto YOUR car.

My advice;

1) Take the car to a bodyshop you trust NOW and get an estimate.
2) Take that estimate to this guy, and you need to see proof that he can pay cash NOW. Don't take a check or anything. Walk him to an ATM or to his bank or something.
3) You need to get a written statement from him accepting liability for the accident. The written statement should specify all the details of how the accident happened (doesn't have to mention his lack of insurance, if he's freaked about that) but you need something from him to back you up if you need to sue him in the future.
4) 48 hours after the accident, if he has not paid you in full, then *start* the claims process with your own insurance (you can always cancel it later)

If you leave it a week or so, then will you insurance still accept the claim? If you claim against your insuracne then what is the worst that will happen? They will pay your own damages then go after him to pay. That's waht he was already promising to do, and they would give him more time to come up with the money that you can (I assume you need the car to be fixed so you can drive it?)

I knew a guy who was hit by an uninsured motorist and he accepted a payment plan. He fixed the car himself and the payments never materialized. He tried to get payment, then finally sued, by that time the guy claimed he was not involved in the accident and the victim had no proof, so the claim failed.

If it was me, I'd file a police report today. If this guy is a friedn of yours then he will understand that HE screwed up, and it's not fair for him to expect YOU to take the fall.

If your neck hurts then go to a doctor. I don't mean fake whiplash or anytihhng, just look after yourself physically.

Another personal anecdote - this opne was me when I was youger, back when I was 17. A friend asked me to drive his car to a potential buyer because he had just lost his license. I told him I had not isurance and neither did he. he promised to pay my ticket if I got one. Well, wouldn't ya know, I got pulled over and got a $500 ticket. Plus when I *did* get insurance later it was tripled ($3k instead of $1k) for the next 3 years, meaning this whole deal cost me about $6500. I went to him for payment (of just the $500) and guess what. Suddenly he wasn't my friend any more - didn't want to know me and I never got a penny out of him. Sucks, but **** happens. LOOK AFTER YOURSELF - NOT HIM!!!
O I didn't have to call the cops, they rolled up on their own. I was gald that happen because they were he was trying to convince me not to call which I was still going to.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:55 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

Originally posted by MaxDoogie
Sorry to hear about this, Justin!! Where were you driving that all this happened? Sounds like along 7th east or state. My new 240sx just got side swiped in my apartments and I just barely got it out of the shop, too. You definitely need to file a police report though..Get it taken care of right.
Yea it was on 7th and 48th. I was sitting there waiting for the light when he hit me...
What I'm going to do now is take me car to a few different shops around town to get a quote, get a rental car from my insurance, take these bids to the guy and see if he'll pay for it upfront. If not I'll claim my insurance (I'm fully covered). I'll get my car fixed and let my insurance sue the sh*t out of him.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:37 AM

Justin,
Thats quite a bummer man. Was the bend you talking about that long "S" turn?? I'm trying to get an image in my head of exactly how it happened. Thats such a bummer this happened! If you can, take some pictures and post them. Was anyone else in the car hurt? Good things the cops showed up, its in your complete benefit to have them show up. You were abiding all the laws and have insurance so in all cases you are/doing the right thing.

Too bad for your friend and his car, hope everything works out J.

--B--

Originally posted by jcy98maxse

Yea it was on 7th and 48th. I was sitting there waiting for the light when he hit me...
What I'm going to do now is take me car to a few different shops around town to get a quote, get a rental car from my insurance, take these bids to the guy and see if he'll pay for it upfront. If not I'll claim my insurance (I'm fully covered). I'll get my car fixed and let my insurance sue the sh*t out of him.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:30 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

B- Imagin going southbound on 700e, it happened in the middle of the long S curve at the light just before 900e.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:03 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Well, I got 3 estimate on my car today. The lowest is $5800, $6700, $6900. Thats only with what the estimator could see, there is probably something that they couldn't see and something is wrong with my rear and front passenger suspension.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:24 PM

Man, that really sucks and I don't mean to **** on your Post but I got hit too and here is a pic but someone needs to explaint to me how to post a pic so that you all can see them.

I'll tell the story though, some Mexican guy ran a red light at night while driving with no Headlights on and took me out on the front right side. My lowest estimate was 1,087 witht highest being 1,470.

Can somebody show me how to post a pic.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:49 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

Damn, dude - you think your friend is gonna pull $7G out his butt?

Good job you have insurance. They'll most likely total it at that.

Hope you get it sorted. Good luck to you.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:31 PM
syc

yeah, see a doctor. some pain will not show at the first 2 or 3 days (especially the neck) after the accident. Even a little pain on the neck is a serious matter cuz it will affect you when you old.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:51 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Not my friend and I talk to his dad tonight after the kid was being shady. Word from him tells me he may actually have insurance because he had just bought the car and inorder to get the loan he is reqiured (state law) to have full coverage. I think he was planning on keeping on the DL to avoid higher premiums.
I hope my don't get total but if it does I'm thinking of getting a M3 E36.

bk2kmax- you need to upload the pic to your computer, then to a site like cardomain that would except pic then post it here with the pic button in reply screen.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:15 AM

Get yourself checked out by a Doc ASAP. for Scruit's advise.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:58 AM

Don't waste your time and handle this issue through insurance thats why you have it so you can avoid the BS. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:21 PM

Hope things are working out for ya J, have you seen Brook lately?

Originally posted by orgasmicNYC
Don't waste your time and handle this issue through insurance thats why you have it so you can avoid the BS. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:17 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

yea, I see or talk to her daily.