General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

PLEASE HELP!!! NEED ADVISE FAST!!!! Pleeeeeze!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2001, 08:20 PM
1FasMax

On my 3rd gen the passenger door wont open, theres something wrong with the latch, it wont open from inside or out, the door lock works, and the latches on the inside and outside handles are connected cause when i pull up on them I see the lock **** itself sorta more, so it much be a problem with the thing that releases the lock mechanism where it hooks to the frame of car.......the problem is I cant get the interior panel off cause the door wont open!!! any idea????? thanks..
Matt

Old 02-07-2001, 08:46 PM

You got a tough one there Bubba. If it looks and feels like the lock and the latch handle are working properly, I don't think that removing the panel will help. I sounds like the latching mechanism that is mounted to the door edge and engages the post on the body is screwed up.

Try snaking the small tube on a can of WD-40 in the door jamb at the latch. Spray liberaly while working the door handles back and forth. You could also try pressing and releasing on the door from the outside. Be careful and press on the edge by the latch, you don't want to dent the sheet metal.

Old 02-07-2001, 08:58 PM

You might get lucky

Originally posted by 1FasMax
On my 3rd gen the passenger door wont open, theres something wrong with the latch, it wont open from inside or out, the door lock works, and the latches on the inside and outside handles are connected cause when i pull up on them I see the lock **** itself sorta more, so it much be a problem with the thing that releases the lock mechanism where it hooks to the frame of car.......the problem is I cant get the interior panel off cause the door wont open!!! any idea????? thanks..
Matt
This is a nasty situation. You may have to remove the seat to
achieve reasonable access to the door trim panel. Another approach is to
buy a used replacement door panel from a wrecking yard. Then you can use
brute force to remove the installed panel, probably destroying it in the
process.

Before resorting to drastic measures, step back and re-examine the problem.
It might be that worn door hinges have allowed the door to sag and it is
being held closed more by friction than the latch. Try to open the door in
the normal fashion, using the door handle (inner or outer handle, or both)
while lifting up on the door. You might get lucky.
Old 02-07-2001, 09:25 PM
1FasMax

Just tried lifting on the door while trying to open pushed upward and downward, applied pressure right before lifing hadle continuing to apply pressure and also tried lifting handle with pressure already applied, it was a good thought, wish it would have worked.....havent tried the lubricant on it, im thinking something in there is broken, will I be able to access it if I am able to remove interior panel.....I KNOW it can be fixed...hehe but how? I wounder what the dealer would do....besides carge an arm and leg.

Old 02-07-2001, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by 1FasMax
... I wounder what the dealer would do....besides carge an arm and leg.
(1) Remove the passenger seat.
(2) Remove the door trim panel.
(3) Look inside the door. Diagnose the problem. Fix it.
Old 02-07-2001, 09:42 PM
1FasMax

What does the seat have to do with the door panel besides extra working space, the door panel doesnt seem like it comes off unless the door is open, because the plastic inside panel itself is shut between the door and frame of car, and also have 2 screws that need to be removed that are between the door and dashboard, the only door pieces I was able to remove were the plastic around interior handle and wondow switch, door light, and the small piece around the inside lock ****, i even tried to remove the plastic piece between the 2 doors, and also tried pulling up the bottom part of the panel....its jammed between the door and pillar....any way of taking it off without destroying it??

thanks

Old 02-09-2001, 07:02 AM
1FasMax

hey guys, just hoping youd have some idea what I should do, stil havent fixed it yet