General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Loaner Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 12:25 PM

Loaner Car

So i bring the Maxima in and am told that i will need a new left exhaust and left strut... no biggie... i just purchased it so it is under the warrenty... well they proceed to tell me that i cannot get a loaner car, that nissan does not give out loaners... so i call nissan coporate and they confirm that they do nt require loaners, but individual dealers can give them if they choose to.... so needless to say i am floored.... i spend close to 30k for a car and i cannot get a loaner to fix a defect....

does anyone in jersey know of a dealership that does give loaners...

i find this to be ridiculous... based on this level of service i will NEVER purchase another nissan again... there are plenty of companies that give loaners, Toyota, infinity, bmw,... this shows a total lack of respect for customers... if i would have known this prior to purchasing this car i would have walked out the door... i have even been give a loaner car worth more then the used car i purchased from other dealers... i bought a 10k used truck and was given a loaner... now i buy max that is close to 30k and they will not give me a loaner...

sorry for the rant.. i am jsut outraged....
Old 08-02-2004, 12:43 PM
Kevlo for President

I suppose you have 04 max. Call Infiniti dealer and ask.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:14 PM

do you think that infiniti will be able to do warrenty work on my car.... i had thought about that,...
Old 08-03-2004, 05:04 AM
SuPeRmOd

they use the loaner as an incentive to get the extended warranty.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:26 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by homerjay4242
....there are plenty of companies that give loaners, Toyota, infinity, bmw,...
Toyota? I don't think so...at least not the dealer I used when I had one. So what does that mean? Nissan and Toyota are the same...they give loaners based on the dealer, not the company.

Also, infiniti and bmw are $7k+ more than your maxima...if you're willing to spend an extra $7k+ up front for a car just because you may or may not need a loaner at some point, you've got money to burn on a rental right now.
this shows a total lack of respect for customers... if i would have known this prior to purchasing this car i would have walked out the door...
so next time you buy be an informed customer and ask... exactly whose fault is it you didn't know you weren't going to get a loaner? YOURS.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:16 AM

so next time you buy be an informed customer and ask... exactly whose fault is it you didn't know you weren't going to get a loaner? YOURS.
I second this. Most low-end companies won't give loaners. By low-end I mean first-tier. Of course BMW, Lexus, Bentley, etc. will give loans. Mazda is one of the few (maybe only?) "low-end" companies that do give loaner cars. Nissan doesn't, honda dosen't, ford doesn't, etc.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:10 PM

this is not the first car that i bought... and i have purchased cars that were not the same quality as nissan with no problems with a loaner.... i even bought a used truck and was given a loaner that was worth more then my purchase... and that was from a first-tier company... so why the hell would i think to ask if i would get a loaner... my girl gets a car from toyota even when she has her oil changed... toyota is the same tier as nissan...

honestly how many of you asked that question before you bought your car... i was at the dealer all day and NO ONE there asked that...

my ex had a used infinity and she was given a loane... nissan and infinity are the same company... so why would i assume that nissan would treat it customer worse.. and her car did not cost more then the Max...

i also do not know where you are finding you BMWs at... cause they are the same price as the SL... you can get a 3 series in the low 30's same as the SL... so there is not a huge price difference....

when i purchase a new vehicle regardless of make i expect that if there is a defect that they fix it without inconviencing me... i.e loaner car.. $hit when i picked up my CBR there was a problem with one of the aftermarket parts they installed... i called them and 30 minutes later they were at my house try a trailer to bring the bike back to the shop to have it fixed... to me that is customer service...

maybe the rest of you are happy with this but i am not... why should i spend money on a rental when this is a defect with the car... i am not talking service here.... if i had to have the car serviced then i would not complain... but there is a defect with the product they sold me and they should make right on it...why should i be put out when what they sold me was defective...

the bottem line is that nissan has horrible customer service...

and the rest of you lame a$$es that feel like it is ok to be walked on have fun in life... i am sure you are going to get far... and anyone who feels that they do not deserve quality customer service because they do not own a BMW is a joke... you are b*tching at me for not settling for the BS that nissan is pitching me... it is people like you who let other walk all over you...

i held my ground and got the dealer to make right on the deal.. after countless b*tching... but i walked away with what i wanted... so the rest of you can conform to the system and not get what you want...
Old 08-03-2004, 12:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I didnt get a loaner car for my nissan maxima
but offcourse it was a 94 with 100K miles for it :-P
Old 08-03-2004, 12:23 PM
It's chrome alright...

OOH!! Congrats!! You didn't find out information you should have before you bought the car, then got pissed when you got screwed, then "held your ground" and got what you deserved! Yippee for you!!

Infiniti is not the same tier as nissan... neither is bmw. Try getting a bmw fixed and you'll know why they kiss your ass and give you free donuts and a loaner... because they're pushing hard and not even giving an reach-around while you pay $75/hour for some $8/hr monkey to fix a $22 part.

Nissan has horrible customer service.......... AT THE DEALER YOU VISIT. The dealer I go to has always done exactly what I wanted, how I wanted it. They even replaced my rotors because I said they "looked funny" (my exact words).

so the rest of you can conform to the system and not get what you want........ FIGHT THE POWER!!
Old 08-03-2004, 12:45 PM

when i said nissan i meant nissan... nissan does not give loaners... and my dealer is following the companies position... yeah they are fixing what i want them to, and sure they will replace your rotors... do you think they care... they are getting paid by nissan to fix those rotors... they will fix anything you want them to... they are getting money for it...

and you are calling me a j*rk off for pushing to get what i wanted,... thats makes sense... you really are a dip $hit...
Old 08-03-2004, 12:48 PM

SKYRockerr-

see that is the thing... i was given a loan no questions when i purchased a used 97 Chevy pickup.. and this was from a jeep dealer... and the loaner they gave me was a brand new grand cherokee.... which was 3x what i paid for the pickup...
Old 08-03-2004, 01:33 PM

and the rest of you lame a$$es that feel like it is ok to be walked on have fun in life...
How is following the rules and going by the book getting walked on? Nissan never told you they'd give you a loaner car, so your not getting one is hardly "being walked on."
so the rest of you can conform to the system and not get what you want...
Well, while you're telling us that we'll get nowhere in life for going by rules that were almost certainly spelled out in your sales agreement, perhaps we'll realize when we're wrong and take it like a man. That's a greater virtue than whining because you can't get a loaner.

Whether chevy gave you a loaner on a 97, or your mother had a loaner on a yugo she bought in 1989 doesn't change the fact that Nissan - along with most companies of its calibre - does not as a rule give out loaners. You are complaining about no loaner on a $30k car. Well, maybe if Nissan gave loaners all the time, you'd have had to pay $32k.

Sure it sucks not having a car, and the Nissan dealers I've been at will drive you to work and pick you up, but if I wanted a loaner, a shoe-shining, and caviar while I waited for my repairs I'd buy a luxury auto, and pay out the nose when I get it repaired.

If the majority of car companies gave out loaners I could understand your dissatisfaction, but since the majority of companies do not, unless they are high end (acura, lexus, caddilac, etc.), then really the onus is on the buyer to find this information out pre-purchase.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:45 PM

OK, no need to get all riled up Homer. Let's go back to your own comments. You mentioned that you got a loaner when you brought back a used truck (don't know which make), and you also mentioned that Toyota, Inifinity, and BMW, as well as other cars of various quality, give out loaners. Well, on your truck, since you don't mention what make of the truck it is, I can't say for sure, but I would guess that it was the dealer's choice to give you a loaner, as opposed to the manufacturer's requirement. Ans as far as your statement about Toyota, I just called the Toyota customer service and was told that it was at the dealer's discretion for them, as well, so maybe your gf.

I didn't bother calling Infinity and BMW to verify their corporate policy, since if you really believe that BMW and Nissan are in the same "tier" then you have even larger problems than this loaner issue. And Nissan and Infinity are indeed two separate companies, just like Lexus and Toyota are different companies and Honda and Acura are different companies. Honda and Toyota aren't exactly the same as Lexus and Acura, so why should Nissan and Infinity? Also, try getting a 4 door BMW sedan and compare it to a similarly equipped Maxima and see which one costs many thousands of dollars more. Even if you were to use a 325i which is a much smaller, and less powerful car, the BMW will come out WAY more. Besides, as you noticed with your ex's used Infinity, it's not just the total price. The Infinity, Lexus, and BMW are more "prestigious" brands and thus will command a premium over a similarly equipped model from another manufacturer. To justify the larger premium paid for their cars, they will throw in extras, such as free loaners, etc. You can go to Audi's web site, and they even say that the dealers will offer "alternative transportation", which I was told could mean simply a shuttle service. That's not exactly a rental car, but they will get you where you need to go. And if you were acting as belligerently as you were in your previous posts when talking to the service manager, I am not surprised that they weren't willing to get you where you needed to go.

So, as you mentioned, Toyota is similar to Nissan, and since they both hold the same position that it is the dealer's discretion, then what is your big problem? Let's see what the difference was ... yup, it was a different DEALER! Hmmm... maybe that is where the real problem lies. There are better and worse dealers among all makes and models, and unfortunately, it looks like you may have encountered a bad one.

Also, your comment that "when i purchase a new vehicle regardless of make i expect that if there is a defect that they fix it without inconviencing me... i.e loaner car" is nice in a dream world, but wake up! Certain manufacturers have decided to go the route of giving you more car for less money, while others are willing to give excellent customer service along with a much higher premium price for the car. It's your CHOICE which one is most important to you. But, if you expect Ford, Chevy, Honda, Pontiac, Saturn, Nissan, Toyota, etc. to guarantee free loaner cars without charging more in base prices for the car, then you do have issues. The reason that you didn't hear people asking about free loaners is probably more due to it not being as important to the other people in the showroom. If a free loaner is the most important detail of a car to you, then YOU should have ASKED what the manufacturer's position on the issue was, instead of assume. Don't get mad at us when we don't feel sorry for your own personal shortcomings!

All that being said, to try and make something positive out of this post, perhaps I could suggest that you look around to other Nissan dealers in the area and see if any of them would be willing to give you a loaner in exchange for letting them make money servicing your car. Or, as was also mentioned, see if your local Infinity was able to do the warranty work. Good luck and I truly hope things work out for you, and congrats on your new Max. It is a nice car, even if I am partial to the 5.5 gen!
Old 08-03-2004, 02:48 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by homerjay4242
when i said nissan i meant nissan... nissan does not give loaners... and my dealer is following the companies position... yeah they are fixing what i want them to, and sure they will replace your rotors... do you think they care... they are getting paid by nissan to fix those rotors... they will fix anything you want them to... they are getting money for it...
You think you can just walk in off the street in any dealership and get them to replace rotors because they look funny? No. They did what I wanted them to do, and they did NOT have to.
and you are calling me a j*rk off for pushing to get what i wanted,... thats makes sense... you really are a dip $hit...
No, I'm calling you a jerkoff for expecting something you did not deserve. I'm happy you were persistent and got a loaner, but you for saying nissan sucks when it's been their policy all along and you're just now catching on.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:47 PM

BTW Mazda has a loaner program, its part of ther warranty..
Old 08-03-2004, 04:09 PM

My local Mitsubishi dealer always gave me a loaner when I had anything done to the Eclipse.

When I lived in Maine, there where a group of different car makes which all used the same service department. Infiniti, BMW, GMC, Saturn, and Kia. My buddy took in a Kia Sportage for warranty work which required the thing to stay overnight. He was given a Volvo V70 from Enterprise rental car. Imagine the culture shock....haha
Old 08-03-2004, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by SkoorbMax
I second this. Most low-end companies won't give loaners. By low-end I mean first-tier. Of course BMW, Lexus, Bentley, etc. will give loans. Mazda is one of the few (maybe only?) "low-end" companies that do give loaner cars. Nissan doesn't, honda dosen't, ford doesn't, etc.
Mazda will give one if available. I recently had to take my 03 Protege 5 in for the heat sheild rattling. It was to be a 3 1/2 job. They we're all out. Supposedly, but after talking to the guy who sold me the car. He told me that they have had 5 extra loaners sitting in the lot for over a month.

That's ok though, I went to Nissan and test drove a Titan for 2 hours

I don't know about everywhere else in the country. But my Mazda service is going down, and my Nissan service is going up. I took my P5 in for a oil change, and told them that the heat sheild was rattling again. Went and picked it up, they told me they couldn't get to it because of the muffler I had put on. And I found my P5 with the front half sticking into the entrance of the dealership. That muffler is half the size the stock. And sits lower than what the stock did. After crawling under when I returned home. I found it was easy access to the heat sheild.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for somebody to total my P5. That way I can put more money to my maxima. But they're getting ridiculous with service these days.

BTW the Jacobs Motors here in SD has Loaners, usualy the new Maxima or Altima. I'm glad I have them around, never had better service.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:32 PM

My local Mitsubishi dealer always gave me a loaner when I had anything done to the Eclipse.
I guess you ended up driving that more than the mitsu eh
Old 08-04-2004, 04:57 AM

i do not know where the rest of you are from... but around here the norm is to give a loaner car for repair work... i have never even heard of a loaner car being an issue before... if i would have then it would have been something that i asked prior to buying this car... this is the way that i look at it... i spend close to 30k for a product... now the product is defective... fine not a problem... $hit happens... so i expect the dealer to compensate me for this issue.. i do not believe it is asking too much to be given a loaner while this repair work is being conducted...

maybe it is my fault for assuming that nissan would have a higher level of customer service... but that does not change the fact that they sold me a defective product... and when i called and asked about a loaner i was told that the owners manual states that they do not give out loaners... honestly who reads the owners manual prior to buying a car.... and when i said that to the woman on the phone she apologize for saying something that stupid...

i have never had a problem with a loaner car before, from dealers that do not have as good as a reputation as nissan... so i expected something more from nissan... my fault or not i am not pleased with this level of customer service.. i choose this car over the BMW (3 series) and Audi (A4)... i preferred the look of the 04 maxima, dual exhaust, larger wheels, more HP etc...

and for all of you who keep pointing fingers at me like i should have known this... what are you kidding me... if i never experienced this problem at any dealer, regardless of brand, why would i think i would have this problem now....

maybe some of you that have expierenced this issue before know what to expect... i didn't... so the next time you purchase something and do not ask every possible question imaginable and find out after the fact that you are not getting what you expected i hope someone b*tches you out the same way you jumped up my a$$.... i turned here to vent and see if other people in my area knew of a place that i could go to get a loaner... instead i got fingers pointed at me...

2k2wannabe
like i am supposed to know nissans policies... i ahve that much free time that i am going to read their policy,.... i did my reviews... customer reviews, mag reviews, no where did i see any of this mentioned... people raved about nissans customer service... and it is fine that this is there policy, but i think is sucks, regardless of what tier this company is i believe i should get a certain level of customer service when i purchase a vehicle... and i am not happy with the level i recieved..
Old 08-04-2004, 06:36 AM

I'm quite suprised. Sure, these manufactors (Nissan, Honda, Toyota, etc) are not luxury brands, but I hardly think a loaner car is a luxury item. I would expect no less.

Interestingly, these same manufactors DO provide loaner cars in my country when you get your car serviced, for free, even if the car is out of warranty . Not only do I get given a loaner car (lately been a late model Pulsar (Sentra in the US))when I take my Maxima in for a service, they also wash it for me and provide me with a Nissan rubbish bag and tissues Friends I know with Honda's and Toyota's get treated the same way.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:20 AM

Can we lock this thread.
Bottom Line: Nissan does not offer loaner cars.

Why? Its there choice?
What should we do? Move to Africa and do camel racing!!!
Old 08-04-2004, 07:22 AM

what you still don't seem to understand Homer, is that Nissan (the corporation) is not different from the Toyota, and other cars in the past that you have owned in this loaner policy. They all say the same thing when it comes to loaners (except for maybe brands like the BMW). I think the main reason people started turning against you was the tone you were taking from the very beginning against Nissan, when in reality, you should be upset at your DEALER. Your arguments that you have received loaners in the past were completely irrelevant. Technically, you were lucky to have received loaners in the past, since the dealers didn't HAVE to give you one. Just because you finally found a bad dealer, you decided to take it out on the entire Nissan corporation. Following your logic, if one dealer gives me $30 for bringing my car to him (which basically what a loaner is - paying for a loaner car for you), should I get mad because a different dealer won't also give me $30, like the other guy, should I or just chalk it up to the second dealer not being as nice and go to a different dealer that does give me the money? To put it another way, just because one dealer gave you money for bringing your car in when he didn't have to, you seriously expect EVERY other dealer in the country to do the same thing? That just doesn't make sense!

Yes, around here it is the norm to get a loaner if I brought mine in. But, because some, or even most, dealers do that when they don't have to, why should I get mad at the corporation if one dealer doesn't give it to me. I think your real problem is that your anger is misdirected. As far as the pointing of fingers, I think most of us are saying that although the loaner issue is not high on our priority list when buying a new car, if it is the top thing (as it seems to be since you claim you would walk out the door if the place didn't give you free loaners) for you personally, then we are saying that it is your responsibility to ask the question. For those people that are most concerned about warranties, they should be responsible enough to ask about the waaranty on a car before buying. As opposed to not asking and then getting ****ed because it was a 3/36 warranty when one of their previous cars had a 5/60!

Seriously, I hope you enjoy your car, but if this is such a big issue for you, then get a Toyota like you said, but are you going to go crazy if the dealer you get it from decides that they don't want to give loaners anymore, since they're not required too, either?
Old 08-04-2004, 11:24 AM

when i posted this i did not know that other brands had the same policy... how could i have known that.. i have never had this problem before... if i would have then this would never have been an issue...

the fact is that instead of simply being informed of this by other members i had people pointing fingers at me... like this is something that i should have known before... just because other members know these thigns, does not mean that i do... so attacking me and telling me this is my fault is what started me on my rant.... i do not appreciate people pointing fingers at me for something that i would never have thought about....

a simple response like "... hey man that sux... most of the first tier companies don't give out cars... but some dealers will give cars to their customers"... would have been fine... and that would have been the end of it.. but i am not going to sit here and have people put the blame on me for something that i could not have possibly have known... honestly would anyone appreciate having the blame placed on them for a situation that they could not fathom...

...and with this knowledge i have now i will never buy another nissan, toyota, ford, etc... maybe the rest of you are in a position where not getting a loaner car would not be a problem, but for me it is ... i work 6 days a week and i do not have the ability to be without a car... and that is why i am so upset about this.... if i had a way around this that did not cost me money to rent a car then i would not care...

maybe i am the one at fault here for thinking that other people would give a $hit about my situation...

for those of you who have never expierenced this either and did not attack me in their response thanks... at least some people see where i am coming from...
Old 08-05-2004, 05:31 AM
SuPeRmOd

sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction. But you never listed how long the work was to take. I understand if you're upset about an overnight or longer job. Personally, my dealer with take me to work, home, wherever if I want while waiting. I'm sure it's not the only Nissan that does this. If you drop off your car before work or during lunch, I'm sure you could go one day at work with the car at the dealer, and they pick you up after work.

An extended warranty which includes a LOANER is a lot cheaper than buying other comparable makes that currently offer loaners.

I'm thinking you went with the Max over a 3 series for similar reasons to mine: equal features (maybe more), A LOT more space (felt super cramped), a lot less $$. Not sure about performace, but 265hp is plenty for me. The only BMW I like is the 5 series for it's feaures and space. I could have another car instead of paying that much $$$$$. Also, maintence costs a lot more.

Just extend your warranty.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:09 PM

yeah i agree on the BMW.... i am not a huge fan.... sure it is a BMW, but for the price i expect to get more... the 5 series is better, but still for the price i do not think that i would buy one..

the job would take six or seven hours, that is if there is no problems...i have calmed down over this... it is just a surprise to me that they do not give out loaners... see the thing here is that i am going to have to burn a personal day to bring the car to the shop... it is just inconvenient... my dealer does have a shuttle, but the range is limited and they are not going to drive 30 minutes to my home or to my work, so i am stuck... there is a mall near by so i guess i can people watch for a bit... a long bit... oh well.,..

so loss for me = car for a day and 1 personal day...